Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Perfectly good. Corsair PSUs (and cases) have treated me very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

I have a 750w gold and can run it with no issue

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

It must be the latest drivers then because Wattman gets into a crashing loop, system hangs, etc.. but any other driver and it's fine.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

This is fine for a Vega 56 BUT you shouldn’t buy it. You’ll be getting a bronze PSU with a 3-year warranty when you could buy a 750W Seasonic Focus Plus gold or a 750W EVGA G1+ for $85 and get a better PSU with a 10-year warranty!

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Stickman posted:

This is fine for a Vega 56 BUT you shouldn’t buy it. You’ll be getting a bronze PSU with a 3-year warranty when you could buy a 750W Seasonic Focus Plus gold or a 750W EVGA G1+ for $85 and get a better PSU with a 10-year warranty!
I've had this one already for a couple years now so I was just wondering if it was good enough or if I should get a better one with more wattage/better rating.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A PSU with half that wattage would almost certainly be fine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Don't they spike up to 400w power use intermittently?

I misremembered, it's Vega 64 hitting a peak of 340W.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 24, 2019

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Edit: the term I hate was edited out

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tugboat Willy posted:

I've had this one already for a couple years now so I was just wondering if it was good enough or if I should get a better one with more wattage/better rating.

Totally fine, but it’s generally not recommended to run PSUs past their warranty, since their relatively cheap and can take the rest of the computer with them if they fail.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Stickman posted:

seasonic's a great psu brand, but definitely don't mix a vega 56 with the focus plus 750w (or with any psu really). there was a design flaw noted a couple of months back where the card would pull 51A over 10ms and the system will shutdown due to overcurrent protection and someone not adhering to spec

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

750W will be fine. I think you could even make do with 650W, but usually the price difference is minimal.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Stickman posted:

Totally fine, but it’s generally not recommended to run PSUs past their warranty, since their relatively cheap and can take the rest of the computer with them if they fail.

Does this really happen any more outside of getting a $5 one from Aliexpress? I thought the failure state for even cheap PSUs was just that they no longer function.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Inept posted:

Does this really happen any more outside of getting a $5 one from Aliexpress? I thought the failure state for even cheap PSUs was just that they no longer function.

It happened to me about 3 years past warranty on a RMX.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

seasonic's a great psu brand, but definitely don't mix a vega 56 with the focus plus 750w (or with any psu really). there was a design flaw noted a couple of months back where the card would pull 51A over 10ms and the system will shutdown due to overcurrent protection and someone not adhering to spec

Good to know - I thought it was just the 550/650 versions.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Inept posted:

My friend was running an old C2D desktop with a thermaltake PSU circa the same time frame which had caps explode just last year. No other damage apart from a the toxic psu smoke smell.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Office I work in has some old c2d dells, with no backup system in place. They'll listen to me about remote backups when the first one pops, I'm sure.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so is the 1660/ti a good intermediate upgrade if i'm considering maybe waiting 2 more generations of RTX to come out?

i know none of the final specs are out but if its basically a 2060 without tensor cores, how well would it run hitman 2 at 1440p? how much of a drop would that be in its benchmarks if its not using ray tracing? the same right?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Strong Sauce posted:

so is the 1660/ti a good intermediate upgrade if i'm considering maybe waiting 2 more generations of RTX to come out?

i know none of the final specs are out but if its basically a 2060 without tensor cores, how well would it run hitman 2 at 1440p? how much of a drop would that be in its benchmarks if its not using ray tracing? the same right?

eames
May 9, 2009

I‘d expect the GTX1660ti to match the GTX1070 in most benchmarks

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

eames posted:

I‘d expect the GTX1660ti to match the GTX1070 in most benchmarks

This is what I’m thinking, too. If wccf’s specs are correct, the 2060 will be about ~18% more powerful than the 1660 Ti, putting the latter right around 1070 performance (minus 2GB ram). The 1660 Ti will also be about ~20% more powerful than the 1660, so that’ll likely sit directly between the 1060 6GB and the 1070.

They’ll need to be pretty competitively priced to be worthwhile, especially compared to used Pascal cards.

eames
May 9, 2009

Stickman posted:

They’ll need to be pretty competitively priced to be worthwhile, especially compared to used Pascal cards.

HardOCP claims to have pricing and a launch date.
https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/01/23/nvidia_1660_ti_will_launch_on_february_15_at_279/

I think it'll fit the lineup just fine. Used GTX1070s won't have any significant advantages (+2GB and optional SLI) but the 1660ti will have lower power consumption, warranty, a newer architecture with better Integer performance and scheduling so it'll age better as game engines leverage that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-streaming/

They don't go into specifics, but it sounds like they're allowing OBS to use the NvFBC optimizations that were previously exclusive to GFE and Steam on GeForce hardware.

OBS recording overhead should similar to GFE going forwards :)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Sounds like they're working with StreamLabs and StreamElements to implement this via the former's OBS fork and the latter's OBS plugin.

They're not submitting it to stock open source OBS in other words, but integrating it into a number of LOOK COOL AND MAKE VIEWERS NOW platforms that require registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I've been testing the obs beta with these new enhancements for the last week. I initially had problems but found game mode was on in windows and now it works great.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Huh, it turns out that Nvidia's Linux driver supports VK_NV_ray_tracing on Pascal. The Windows driver only exposes it on Volta and Turing.

I got q2vkpt running on my 1070 and it works fine, albeit very slowly :cheeky:

(13.1fps at 1080p in the timedemo lol)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Well if you drop to 800x600 like Quake 2 was intended to be played at, you'll have a playable framerate.

RTX is a conspiracy confirmed!

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Is the GeForce RTX 2080 like the next generation of the GeForce 1080? Or is it like a titan - basically a huge waste of money for the amount of performance it gives?

Thinking about building a new PC. Last built one years ago and swapped parts into it, but now I want to game and stream with really good settings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google up some benchmarks and make the value decision for yourself but yes it's the new 1080. The cost of the 20xx cards is steep relative to other generations however.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you need a PC now build it now, to do what you need now (not for the future). If you can wait, wait. The current generation is particularly poor value.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Great! I'll do some Googling and see if it seems like a 2080 or 2080 Ti will make a noticeable difference over my current 1080, then. Thanks, guys!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The 2080 Ti will be significant but unless you’re actually dissatisfied with the 1080 you have you should keep it and wait for the 2180 or whatever instead. This is something of a make-do generation designed to soak the suckers launch some new tech that hasn’t been adopted by the industry at large yet, and you’re paying for these features a great deal of games don’t yet use.

It’s all the drawbacks of early adoption cranked up about as high as they’ve ever been. By the time tensor cores and DLSS is a regular thing, these cards may have that “first gen” stigma. Basically you can’t get the industry to adopt features nobody can actually use, and so Nvidia is pushing new features in the RTX line so that games will eventually use them. But they’re making YOU pay for them.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
MSRP for the 2080 Ti is 1,000$. Don't let manufacturers get away with charging over that unless the price would match something you were going to add. (If you were paying 100$ for a AIO kit then a 1100$ 2080 Ti that already comes setup like that makes sense) Same as every generation, pre-orders were 1,200 and cards are impossible to find on launch for MSRP.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos

oliveoil posted:

Great! I'll do some Googling and see if it seems like a 2080 or 2080 Ti will make a noticeable difference over my current 1080, then. Thanks, guys!

I was going to send the one I bought back to new egg but they were not going to give me full price for it. I will take back the Vega 56 I got from micro center because they don't put the games you got in the bundle as a line item.

So far it is a nice card especially if you get it for under 699.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So I have a 1080ti, and started the step up with evga to a 2080ti. Their msrp is something like $1150 for the black whatever edition. I assume they are going to keep their price gouging price as the basis for what I'll need to pay, right? I think their the lower cost sku isn't eligible to step up to and I'm outside the window to change at this point anyways.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nvidia is the one price gouging not EVGA.
Yes the price is based on MSRP and they are being quite generous giving you full value for the 1080ti as trade.

Its a pretty marginal upgrade for the price, does it even make sense for your setup?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I meant as far as a $1000 msrp vs an $1150. I'll leave extolling the virtues of corporate generosity for another thread, and it makes sense in my set up to me at least. Ultrawide 1440 at 120hz and also driving a rift.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no the extra 15% spent wont result in anywhere near 15% performance. They are the same GPU, the power delivery and cooling will be improved resulting in a usually cooler and quieter card that overclocks better. Still not 15% better though, maybe 5% with a golden chip and underwater

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got a step-up eligible 1080ti, started the process in September, and still haven't heard anything past the initial confirmation. I've decided to pass on it though, this 1080ti is still averaging 90s @1440p ultra which is perfect for these eyes on a gsync 144hz. Only thing I'd do with it now anyway is the Quake2RTX demo, but I can wait for a 21xx series for that.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Guess I'll keep my 1080 for now until I find that either I need a 2080 (Ti) or the prices on those come down. Thanks, guys!

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Yeah, I feel like with my 1080 Ti pushing 120hZ 1440 Ultrawide I’m good til at least the next generation or the one after that. With an i5-4670k I’m due for a CPU upgrade today over any GPU one.

Please talk me out of buying a i9-9900k please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I think I just decided to go for an i9-9900k myself, now that I realized it's 25ish% more than i7-9700k, so I probably am not a good person for talking you out of that... :sweatdrop: