Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Go whole hog and buy Secret Weapon.

Acrylic paint includes polymers. Ink is (broadly) just pigment, binder, and some rapidly drying solvent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Serenade posted:

What's the difference between an acrylic paint and an ink? If acrylic and oil paints are defined by their binders, are inks as well?
Ink is pigment that is diffusely dissolved in water. By contrast, most acrylic paint needs to be suspended in medium to avoid separation into its component pigments. It's a chemical difference, not just a difference in consistency or opacity.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I've always made my own washes and there is definitely a startup cost and learning curve, but I'm glad I did. After you buy a few ink colors, some containers, and your flow improver you're set for years.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I get better results with washes I make myself, but when I started painting again for shear ease I decided to go GW washes. They're pretty nice and I'm not trying to showcase level paint a whole 40k army.

Also, Bulbasaur, what process and materials are you using for your cracked earth bases? You may be able to prevent the radial pattern cracking if you want.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Booley posted:

The gw washes are better, washes in pots instead of droppers are way easier to use,

And yet somehow I never see people bitching about knocking over and spilling half a dropper bottle of wash across their table/carpet...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I get better results with washes I make myself, but when I started painting again for shear ease I decided to go GW washes. They're pretty nice and I'm not trying to showcase level paint a whole 40k army.

Also, Bulbasaur, what process and materials are you using for your cracked earth bases? You may be able to prevent the radial pattern cracking if you want.

I'm overall happy with them, but I'd be eager to learn about your experience with the cracked earth bases. First, I put down a thick layer of gloss varnish, then I apply this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO66JDU

After that I seal it up with more gloss. I've found that I can water it down to get slightly different effects, but I can't say I've done a ton with it besides my bases and table:

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

darnon posted:

And yet somehow I never see people bitching about knocking over and spilling half a dropper bottle of wash across their table/carpet...

I've never knocked a GW wash bottle over, so I wouldn't know.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Is there a good, cheap alternative to the GW terrain stuff like Astrogranite? Is it just "PVA some sand, paint it gray"?

I'm going through it at an alarming rate on my AdMech.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've been using Vallejo's texture paints which are very similar and you get a big rear end jar for the price of two of the 'big' bottles of Citadel texture paints.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I use liquitex gel medium mixed with sand and rocks. Spread it like chunky peanut butter.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Did some dudes

Close up cameras don't flatter minis one bit. Didn't realize my painting was so... chalky.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 23, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm overall happy with them, but I'd be eager to learn about your experience with the cracked earth bases. First, I put down a thick layer of gloss varnish, then I apply this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CO66JDU

After that I seal it up with more gloss. I've found that I can water it down to get slightly different effects, but I can't say I've done a ton with it besides my bases and table:

Yeah they look great. I went through a phase a few years ago of doing endless experiments with crackle paints and pastes and mediums, and most of that knowledge is now lost to the sands of time. I don't have any experience with that particular stuff though.

Because crackle is typically applied thickly, the edges have additional surface area due to the lip of material and they dry faster from the edge inwards. That's why you tend to get the radial patterns with either cracks going towards the center or in concentric rings. Certain crackle effects like certain under layers more like gloss or satin varnish, pva glue, or plaster which can help alleviate that somewhat. If your crackle isn't that particular about layer thickness then you can do a thinner layer in the middle and a thicker layer on the outside with the goal being that it dries at about the same rate and thus creates a more chaotic and less organized cracking. You can also do it in a couple stages of middle first, wait a few minutes, then do the outside. It's a lot of trial and error though cause every crackle seems to behave slightly differently.

They already look great though.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
X-post from 40k thread

Skails posted:

I saw a few people ask about checkers recently, thought I'd share how I approach it.

First I want to break the larger field in half vertically using thinned black paint. Get this line as straight and centered as possible, but it will be fine tuned later in the process.
(Doing a larger field I'd start with vertical and horizontal lines crossing in center of area.)
Second I broke the area into squares with horizontal lines. These were done on both sides starting at the top so they would be approximately even.
Third is bringing a bit of paint around the edge of sword so that I can see where to line up with other side.
Fourth in this set is connecting the dots across back after both sides are done to step three.

The next steps are filling the squares still using somewhat thinned paint. I started with the spine and worked out to both sides. Here you can start to sharpen up areas that look wobbly or off. I spent some time here fine tuning the corners of the squares, the sharper they are the more even everything will look. From here it's getting things as clean as you want them.
I've seen some of the studio paint jobs doing a slight highlight along the top and one side of squares.

Here is the finished sword on my Excoriator intercessor Sgt.

Link to better pic of sword:
https://instagram.com/p/BqsNKLlHttC/

Skails fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 23, 2019

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
Is this the thread where I can post my poorly painted D&D minis?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zev posted:

Is this the thread where I can post my poorly painted D&D minis?

:justpost:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Made a start on our Discord's painting contest thing tonight. Even by my own hyperactive benchmarks I think for just over 2 hours he's turning out pretty decent. Also Pink and Baby Blue, the true colours of manliness.

Going for a super cartoony palette for fun.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

richyp posted:

Made a start on our Discord's painting contest thing tonight. Even by my own hyperactive benchmarks I think for just over 2 hours he's turning out pretty decent. Also Pink and Baby Blue, the true colours of manliness.

I can see a mold line on the bottom of the bases spear handle really bad, you might want to clean that up before it gets real paint on it for a Competition. Progress looking great!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

richyp posted:

10/10 my friend. That’s an impressively efficient return on investment.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I wasn't sold on purple washes for non-bruised skin, but this has altered my opinion. Fantastic so far!

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Thanks guys.

General Olloth posted:

I can see a mold line on the bottom of the bases spear handle really bad, you might want to clean that up before it gets real paint on it for a Competition. Progress looking great!

Good catch, the base was more of an afterthought.

Ilor posted:

I wasn't sold on purple washes for non-bruised skin, but this has altered my opinion. Fantastic so far!

It's heavily thinned with Lahmian about 3 parts medium to 1 part Druchi Violet.

The skin was:
1) Base Kislev
2) Wash with the above
3) highlight's of kislev + screaming skull, and pure screaming skull.

Zev
Apr 3, 2009

Phone posting so they look extra bad.

But better than the pre painted alternative:

Zev fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 24, 2019

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there a good, cheap alternative to the GW terrain stuff like Astrogranite? Is it just "PVA some sand, paint it gray"?

I'm going through it at an alarming rate on my AdMech.

The texture isn't just 'sand' unfortunately, but good news is Vallejo makes enormous jars of the stuff for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Roug...C29G0X8AHPS9XNE

It has consistency similar to astrogranite, but like whipped cream you can sculpt and manipulate the peaks with the handle of paint brush and it'll set how you leave it.

A++

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

richyp posted:

Love it

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yeast posted:

The texture isn't just 'sand' unfortunately, but good news is Vallejo makes enormous jars of the stuff for cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Vallejo-Roug...C29G0X8AHPS9XNE

It has consistency similar to astrogranite, but like whipped cream you can sculpt and manipulate the peaks with the handle of paint brush and it'll set how you leave it.

A++

This looks very helpful, I assume I'll need to throw a coat over it to match the Astrogranite color though, does anybody know which gray that is?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

richyp posted:

Young Skeletor?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

richyp posted:

That mini is damned awesome. :cheers:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Yeah they look great. I went through a phase a few years ago of doing endless experiments with crackle paints and pastes and mediums, and most of that knowledge is now lost to the sands of time. I don't have any experience with that particular stuff though.

Because crackle is typically applied thickly, the edges have additional surface area due to the lip of material and they dry faster from the edge inwards. That's why you tend to get the radial patterns with either cracks going towards the center or in concentric rings. Certain crackle effects like certain under layers more like gloss or satin varnish, pva glue, or plaster which can help alleviate that somewhat. If your crackle isn't that particular about layer thickness then you can do a thinner layer in the middle and a thicker layer on the outside with the goal being that it dries at about the same rate and thus creates a more chaotic and less organized cracking. You can also do it in a couple stages of middle first, wait a few minutes, then do the outside. It's a lot of trial and error though cause every crackle seems to behave slightly differently.

They already look great though.

Thanks man! I appreciate the details. Definitely learned something from this today. I made about 400 of these bases so far and you're right the effect you get when you cover up something (like black lava, for example) does a lot to break it up into more natural formations

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
In between my big projects I've worked on a bunch of small scale things, kill teams and test models and stuff that I didn't really like enough to do a whole army out of. Here are some of my ghosted projects.

BlackPink

I like this colour scheme a lot and think the Custodes look good, but I absolutely hate the scion models and never want to paint another one as long as I live. They've got so many fiddly little details and so many different materials they take forever and I burned out on 'em after 10. Maybe I'll come back to this later.

Rainbow Ruberics

Similar to BlackPink, I lothed the ruberic marines as models - they're persnicketty jerks who are all about a billion jillion highlights and trim, they're a pain in the rear end, and their poses are incredibly boring and static. I was originally going to do 6 squads, each with a different colour armour pattern and the sorcerer leading the squad from the next colour over, but I gave up after one.

The Fall of Man

Harlequin troupe that re-enacts the Fall of Mankind, each player dressed as a different Primarch. This one stopped because I didn't want to paint the boat which has languished in my to-do pile for over a year now.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I’m new to painting and this is really the first model I’ve spent any time on. I am ok with how it looks so far but what I can do to minimize the borderlands sharing in the future? Water the layer shade down more? Add more dark to it?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm not especially competent so I don't have any actual advice, I just wanted to say that for a first model that looks really loving sweet dude!

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Work in progress. Working on the kill team box set and this ad-mech commander because he looked cool to paint.

Last time I painted models I was like 13 (20 years ago jeez!) so this is all new to me. Washes are amazing. And brushes are so much better. (Though I probably just care for them better now.)

BoneMonkey fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 24, 2019

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Close up cameras don't flatter minis one bit. Didn't realize my painting was so... chalky.

Is that a symptom of just not thinning paints enough? This happens to me a lot too but I don't know how to fix.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sab669 posted:

Is that a symptom of just not thinning paints enough? This happens to me a lot too but I don't know how to fix.

Doubt it, i'm pretty good about that. Seems like i'm getting poor coverage with my brush, but it's hard to tell.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
And finished

quote:

Painted up a Darkoath Chieftain to add some Slaanesh to my Chaos boys and girls.

Fun fact, he uses all 8 colours of the Citadel Edge Paints(tm)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

richyp posted:

And finished

I finished up some more Skitarii last night which meant hitting the special weapons with some baharroth blue and it was pretty great.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

richyp posted:

And finished

Looking good, nice to see a bright and cartoony version of the guy.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

richyp posted:

There's a painting discord?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

I finished the bottle of sotek I was using and when I opened the new one it was a ever so slightly different shade, does not seem too noticeable after washes and highlights though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Asmodai_00 posted:

There's a painting discord?

The 40k discord has a channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Inspector_666 posted:

I finished up some more Skitarii last night which meant hitting the special weapons with some baharroth blue and it was pretty great.

It's a good colour. I got my smartphone settings sorted out and got a better picture, so you can see Baharroth Blue and the other 7 of the edge colours in their true pastel glory.