Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Can I get a breakdown of all the reasons that have been offered that droids are supposedly not people? This is all getting a bit high-context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

You guys know that poo poo like this ends up being passed around other subforums and then their idea of what CineD is gets completely skewed by that right?

In the horror thread we regularly get people in there who say they're surprised at how normal it is because they thought CineD was just a constant slap-fight of people trying to make themselves sound more sophisticated than the other guy.

I don't know if anyone but Cnut is attempting to sound more sophisticated, but I think it's being a little disingenuous for you to suggest that the conversation is somehow hard to follow.

That droids in Star Wars are persons is a simple and straightforward concept that anyone with any empathy would agree with. Folks like Cnut are choosing not to recognize their personhood and are inadvertently using the exact same rhetoric, language and arguments to deny Star Wars droids personhood as bigots used against marginalized races in reality.

Those posters I think rightfully resent the presumption that they're racists (they're likely not, in their souls, racists, but are caught up using the same rhetoric), but instead of pausing to reflect on the fact that they're choosing to deny droids personhood for no real reason, they're continuing to engage and concern trolling about whether or not movies are real.

I think ultimately if someone is watching a film with characters like R2 and C3PO and comes to the conclusion those characters are not deserving of empathy and are not persons, then they engage in art in a way so radically different from my understanding that it makes them almost like an alien mind.

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 24, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't know if anyone but Cnut is attempting to sound more sophisticated, but I think it's being a little disingenuous for you to suggest that the conversation is somehow hard to follow.

That droids in Star Wars are persons is a simple and straightforward concept that anyone with any empathy would agree with. Folks like Cnut are choosing not to recognize their personhood and are inadvertently using the exact same rhetoric, language and arguments to deny Star Wars droids personhood as bigots used against marginalized races in reality.

Those posters I think rightfully resent the presumption that they're racists (they're likely not, in their souls, racists, but are caught up using the same rhetoric), but instead of pausing to reflect on the fact that they're choosing to deny droids personhood for no real reason, they're continuing to engage and concern trolling about whether or not movies are real.

I think ultimately if someone is watching a film with characters like R2 and C3PO and comes to the conclusion those characters are not deserving of empathy and are not persons, then they engage in art in a way so radically different from my understanding that it makes them almost like an alien mind.

I don't disagree with any of your points and sure, in this instance Cnut is the source of the problem but lets not pretend it's him every time.

Droids are people and I've participated in that argument many times itt.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Racism isn’t a hidden heart condition. It is sufficiently diagnosable through analysis of speech acts.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

euphronius posted:

How can a droid be a bounty hunter without the ability to contract ?? The ability of contract is exclusive to persons.

You know that idea some Silicon Vallet degenerate had for a self-driving car that was an autonomous corporation paid for in bitcoins that’d just rove around trying to make a profit by doing rideshare contracting?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Call it absurd, that's fine, but the fact is it stems from like 2 threads in CineD, so yea I'd prefer if posters in other subforums thought of this one as a more welcoming place because then there would be more people to talk about movies with.

Being more welcoming is a fine goal, and I'm not calling that absurd, but if two threads with some doofy posts in them is enough to mischaracterize the entire subforum then you're dealing with something more intractable. Like, say, the cultural stereotype of the insufferable film snob. It would be like trying to undo the stereotype of an anime subforum being filled with perverts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ingmar terdman posted:

Shamelessly bumping my Cnut/Sheev quotes because the thread is lame right now (although creepio kicks rear end forever)

All three are good, but the third is drat near exquisite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Being more welcoming is a fine goal, and I'm not calling that absurd, but if two threads with some doofy posts in them is enough to mischaracterize the entire subforum then you're dealing with something more intractable. Like, say, the cultural stereotype of the insufferable film snob. It would be like trying to undo the stereotype of an anime subforum being filled with perverts.

Well a big part of that is the two threads in question would theoretically be the most popular, the ones to draw people in from other subforums, Star Wars and Comic Book Movies.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When there's actually something to talk about the normal human beings usually flood in and drown out the lunatic crowd anyway. I say let people have their slow descent into madness when there's nothing going on with the franchise beyond continued beating on the last installment's corpse

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Basebf555 posted:

Droids are people and I've participated in that argument many times itt.

Droids rights!

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

porfiria posted:

I think it's pretty obvious Chewbacca's ancestors didn't eat of the Wookie Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, whereas Greedo's did eat of the Rodian Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil.

The Star Wars version of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil literally appears in the last episodes of The Clone Wars (which were conceived and closely overseen by George Lucas to a greater extent than most episodes). It's a "Force planet" located at the center of the galaxy (a.k.a. the World Navel), which Yoda has been led to by the disembodied voice of Qui-Gon Jinn. Streaking branches of plasmic energy radiate out of its interior to the rest of the galaxy:

Yoda remarks, "From inside the planet, life emanates." Twice, it is emphasized that this life energy confounds mechanical sensors:

Artoo beeps in obvious consternation.

"So, blocking our scanners, the gas is...but inside, a planet may be. Sense it, I do."

And again:

Artoo pops out his own personal scanner and again beeps in consternation.

"Here, nothing your scanners can see."

So twice we have shots of Artoo paired with dialogue emphasizing the uselessness of technological scanners to detect the life which Yoda senses through the Force--the life which, as later becomes clear, is in fact the spiritual foundation of all life in the galaxy. This is yet another of the numerous examples of the motif of machine vision contrasted with spiritual vision.

After informing Artoo, “No, wait here you must. A journey for me alone, this is,” Yoda travels through the trunk-like pillar of energy, into the core of the planet, and arrives in a strange Edenic world where he is met by a disembodied spirit who informs him that this is the place where the midi-chlorians originated, before being dispersed across the galaxy to various worlds in what is implied to be some sort of quasi-mystical panspermia. As Qui-Gon Jinn tells us, “Without the midi-chlorians, life could not exist, and we would have no knowledge of the Force.” So this planet, and the great energy tree which emanates from it, are in fact the ultimate source of both life and knowledge in the universe.

Within this interior world, the disembodied spirit compels Yoda to enter a cave much like the one on Dagobah (which is another instance of the world tree motif) where he must confront and acknowledge the evil which exists within himself, manifesting itself in the form of an evil imp-like double of Yoda.

After passing this and trials teaching the virtues of non-attachment and sacrifice, Yoda is granted the knowledge which begins his quest for spiritual immortality which Qui-Gon Jinn completes after the events of Episode III.

By returning back to the ultimate source of creation and confronting the evil which was split from good at the dawn of duality, Yoda rediscovers the oneness of all things which is the secret to eternal life. By returning to the Tree of Knowledge and rejecting the fruit which represents the splitting of that oneness into opposing absolutes of good and evil, he is granted the boon that is the fruit of the Tree of Life. As the disembodied spirit prepares to send Yoda away on his quest of studentship under Qui-Gon, he is granted a vision of the future which ends with his own whispered dying words, “There is another Skywalker,” followed by the sound of Darth Vader’s breathing.

Thus the episode ends with Yoda realizing that the black-and-white struggle of the Clone War is a dead-end road on the path to salvation: “No longer certain that one ever does win a war, I am. For in fighting the battles, the bloodshed, already lost we have.” But as he declares to his colleagues back on Coruscant, “Yet open to us, a path remains, that unknown to the Sith is. Through this path, victory we may yet find. Not victory in the Clone Wars, but victory for all time.”

At which point the episode, and thus the entire series, ends on this shot of a tree in the early stages of fruiting:

Victory for all time lies in eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life, here representing not only the new life found through spiritual salvation, but the new life represented by the Skywalker twins who have likely just been conceived, as well as the new life which Anakin will ultimately find upon his redemption.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 3, 2019

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

Nothing I've written is too sophisticated for a person of average intelligence to understand. I know this, because I'm a person of average intelligence, and I wrote it. If you think anything I write sounds sophisticated, that's kind of a you problem buddy, not a me problem.

However, I am far and away the best poster in this thread who's contributed more worthwhile content than anyone else who's ever posted here combined, at least as far as legitimate film analysis goes. That's not ego, that's an obvious fact. That's not a high bar to clear. It's not impressive. It would be ludicrous to be proud of such a pathetic accomplishment. If anything, it should be something which should cause me to re-think my life choices. And it's certainly not something which makes me think I'm more intelligent than the average person. But it is something that makes me think I'm more intelligent than the average poster in this thread. That's a crucial distinction.

Basebf555 posted:

I don't disagree with any of your points and sure, in this instance Cnut is the source of the problem but lets not pretend it's him every time.

Pal, I'm the solution, not the problem. This thread is better than it's been in a long time.

Seriously though, I like you, Basebf555. As far as I can remember, you've never been an rear end in a top hat to me, so I have no interest in being an rear end in a top hat to you. As for everyone else, well, this is just how this thread apparently works, so I'm just going with the flow, and it's actually making the experience of posting in this thread enjoyable for me again rather than frustrating.

Ingmar terdman posted:

This thread's moving fast today but a few pages back made me think of sheev

Fantastic.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 24, 2019

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Thank you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lUAnrX7gqw

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Nice thread title.

Also, just a general announcement that from this point on, I'm going to be addressing everyone in this thread as either "buddy," "pal," or "bub," in order to reinforce the fact that I'm an Internet tough guy who could probably beat all of you up in real life. Hopefully the intimidation factor will be great enough that all of the points I make will go completely unchallenged, and this thread can become a place where no one ever disagrees with me about anything, which of course must be my ultimate diabolical goal.

To that end, I'm also going to start posting in the voice of Edward G. Robinson, but since I don't feel like putting any effort into it, I would like to politely ask that from this point forward you all just read my posts in your head that way. Thank you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

Pal, I'm the solution, not the problem. This thread is better than it's been in a long time.

Would you say you're the... final solution?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Well a big part of that is the two threads in question would theoretically be the most popular, the ones to draw people in from other subforums, Star Wars and Comic Book Movies.

The problem here is that these two threads, about the massest of mass entertainment, being the most likely to draw people in is not a coincidence when it comes to perceptions of people writing about symbolism being superior. Like, make no mistake, people are unnecessarily insulting. But that they're being snotty about Star Wars and such is part of the running joke about the subforum.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/PrequelMemesBot/status/1088536332941504512

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

Nothing I've written is too sophisticated for a person of average intelligence to understand. I know this, because I'm a person of average intelligence, and I wrote it. If you think anything I write sounds sophisticated, that's kind of a you problem buddy, not a me problem.

However, I am far and away the best poster in this thread whose contributed more worthwhile content than anyone else who's ever posted here combined, at least as far as legitimate film analysis goes. That's not ego, that's an obvious fact. That's not a high bar to clear. It's not impressive. It would be ludicrous to be proud of such a pathetic accomplishment. It's not something which makes me think I'm more intelligent than the average person. It is something that makes me think I'm more intelligent than the average poster in this thread. That's a crucial distinction.

I admittedly do like your analysis Cnut, but repeatedly tossing "I'm only average intelligence" into your megalomaniac rant isn't the bullet-proof rhetorical strategy you seem to think it is.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Do you think pizza exists in the Star Wars universe? I’d like to think so.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pizza the Hutt is cannon.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cnut's posts are unsettling in a "watching someone going through something in public" kind of way imo

Fart City posted:

What a sad galaxy it would be without

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bongo Bill posted:

Can I get a breakdown of all the reasons that have been offered that droids are supposedly not people? This is all getting a bit high-context.

The Inconsistency is a conspiracy theory near-identical to the “Mandella Effect” theory that false memories are caused by interdimensional travel. “I’m not wrong about the title of that children’s cartoon; it’s the universe itself that is inconsistent with my personal truth.”

R2D2 was always perceived as Luke’s best friend, so all evidence that Luke’s family enslaved him is merely a product of The Inconsistency.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fart City posted:

https://swfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Pizza

Pizza

Pizza was a type of food that was common throughout the galaxy through the days of the Galactic Republicand beyond. A typical pizza nearly always consisted of a flat circular piece of dough with various toppings on it. Opinions of pizza throughout the galaxy varied; in some cultures it was regarded as simple junk food, whereas on some worlds pizza was revered and reserved only for social elite. Jabba the Hutt was known to enjoy eating large quantities of pizza during his younger years. Pizza became less popular during the days of the Galactic Empire, as the Emperor regarded it as disgusting.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

kidkissinger posted:

https://swfanon.fandom.com/wiki/Pizza

Pizza

Pizza was a type of food that was common throughout the galaxy through the days of the Galactic Republicand beyond. A typical pizza nearly always consisted of a flat circular piece of dough with various toppings on it. Opinions of pizza throughout the galaxy varied; in some cultures it was regarded as simple junk food, whereas on some worlds pizza was revered and reserved only for social elite. Jabba the Hutt was known to enjoy eating large quantities of pizza during his younger years. Pizza became less popular during the days of the Galactic Empire, as the Emperor regarded it as disgusting.

:hmmyes:

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Fart City posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Waffles Inc. posted:

Cnut's posts are unsettling in a "watching someone going through something in public" kind of way imo

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

"I'm having fun"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is how Pizza Hut is formed

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In legends there was pizza for sure. In the new canon galactic society has regressed to a dark age where the trade necessary to collect all the ingredients for a pizza has utterly collapsed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is my favorite post on Twitter because it was posted at 4:20 and on my birthday.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol this rules

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ok the thread is good again

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lmao i've pictured this exact scenario playing out in my head multiple times.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sure, but those "two" or so threads are the most popular film franchises that people would hop into to join. The Star Wars, Marvel, and other superhero threads tend to have the biggest issues with being unwelcoming and they're going to be the most appealing to a casual moviegoer, compared to, like, the kaiju thread or the Western thread.

There's a reason why most goons--inside and outside of CineD--tell each other to avoid certain threads due to toxic personalities.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean how are they even supposed to see it they have helmets with no fucken eye holes!

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Sure, but those "two" or so threads are the most popular film franchises that people would hop into to join. The Star Wars, Marvel, and other superhero threads tend to have the biggest issues with being unwelcoming and they're going to be the most appealing to a casual moviegoer, compared to, like, the kaiju thread or the Western thread.

There's a reason why most goons--inside and outside of CineD--tell each other to avoid certain threads due to toxic personalities.

Yeah, but as I said above when Basebf555 made this same point, that isn't some crazy coincidence. The more mass the entertainment is, the more an impassioned and idiosyncratic viewpoint is perceived as bizarre and the more likely it is that people will wander into the thread containing it.

But then I had not thought of this conversation as being focused on "toxic personalities," so maybe we're talking past each other. I view goofy overcommitment to an idiosyncratic viewpoint as meaningfully distinct from people who've degraded to the point where they just call people morons without mentioning a movie, and I'd only refer to the latter as toxic. And from what I've seen, more of the reputation of CineD relates to the former.

Basebf555 posted:

Ok the thread is good again

And as the saying goes, if you can't handle us at our worst then you don't deserve us at our best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

No Mods No Masters posted:

We're mostly working towards ever more cursed sophist readings of star-wars-as-roots in the most assholish way imaginable

It's not sophist to point out the things that happen on screen, jesus.

Edit: Should have refreshed before posting.