Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

?? consistently in the top 100 for over a century bro

the hell you smoking

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
if we can get just a tenth of all the people named betty to buy a bitcoin we would hit the moon in seconds

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

fishmech posted:

the hell you smoking

Now try Elizabeth

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sedge and Bee posted:

Now try Elizabeth

might as well argue that Xander is one of the most popular boys names of the past several hundred years

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kevin is the most pleasurable of names, objectively speaking

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

might as well argue that Xander is one of the most popular boys names of the past several hundred years

who the hell names their kid a nickname rather than the full name? gotta search elizabeth to have any idea at all, not betty

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Boxturret posted:

kevin is the most pleasurable of names, objectively speaking

dsyp

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

...! posted:

who the hell names their kid a nickname rather than the full name? gotta search elizabeth to have any idea at all, not betty

actually stays well within the top fifteen in the us every year according to the ssa

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

so basically there's no good way to know how popular the moniker "betty" is in terms of people who actually go by that, but it's very misleading at best to cite statistics for elizabeth

can we ditch this boring-as-gently caress derail squabble now?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

remember when archie andrews was shot dead

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
NellyUSMCredditor for 2 weeks 7 points 5 hours ago

I told my mother I started investing into crypto and she just started making noise and saying I don’t want to hear anymore I’m going to lose it. Lol I never even got to say that it wasn’t even that much money. But I really hope the next bull is enormous so I can go “lalalalalala” when she asks me about Bitcoin.

SeriousGains 3 points 4 hours ago

You should tell everyone you know. Crypto will be normal. People need to get over this fear of being called out for being an early adopter.

Will nocoiners smile at you when the price of bitcoin goes down? Sure they will, but when it goes up and they're broke af, you'll have the last laugh.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Boxturret posted:

remember when archie andrews was shot dead

f

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

KnifeWrench posted:

so basically there's no good way to know how popular the moniker "betty" is in terms of people who actually go by that, but it's very misleading at best to cite statistics for elizabeth

can we ditch this boring-as-gently caress derail squabble now?

no :colbert:

if elizabeth is in the top fifteen, it's not much of a stretch to extrapolate that betty is in the top hundred. it's not exactly an uncommon nickname

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

...! posted:

NellyUSMCredditor for 2 weeks 7 points 5 hours ago

I told my mother I started investing into crypto and she just started making noise and saying I don’t want to hear anymore I’m going to lose it. Lol I never even got to say that it wasn’t even that much money. But I really hope the next bull is enormous so I can go “lalalalalala” when she asks me about Bitcoin.

SeriousGains 3 points 4 hours ago

You should tell everyone you know. Crypto will be normal. People need to get over this fear of being called out for being an early adopter.

Will nocoiners smile at you when the price of bitcoin goes down? Sure they will, but when it goes up and they're broke af, you'll have the last laugh.

When the saints in glory, therefore, shall see the doleful state of the damned, how will this heighten their sense of the blessedness of their own state, so exceedingly different from it! When they shall see how miserable others of their fellow creatures are, who were naturally in the same circumstances with themselves; when they shall see the smoke of their torment, and the raging of the flames of their burning, and hear their dolorous shrieks and cries, and consider that they in the mean time are in the most blissful state, and shall surely be in it to all eternity ; how will they rejoice!

#notacult

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sedge and Bee posted:

Now try Elizabeth

why, every young elizabeth is liz or sometimes beth. betty is a grandma nickname

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitcoin going up doesn't affect normal money

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
when my mom was young, there were too many elizabeths in her class so they all got different nicknames. she ended up a betty by default but recently told me she wanted to be a libby

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

when we had multiple people with the same name in class we just put the first letter of their last name at the end like sane people

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
'betty' can also be a nickname for 'beatrice'.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
My favorite part of Dante's Inferno(the EA version) was when Dante went into hell to save Betty.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
at least we can all agree that archibald is a hip name for today's youths

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

at least we can all agree that archibald is a hip name for today's youths

yes

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boxturret posted:

when we had multiple people with the same name in class we just put the first letter of their last name at the end like sane people

but how did you tell all the satoshi n apart

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
personally i named all my children boxturret because i guess i hate kids or something

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

fishmech posted:

but how did you tell all the satoshi n apart

it was before that naming trend swept the nation

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
in other news the UK Financial Conduct Authority is doing a consultation on cryptos. Draft paper (PDF).

basically they're trying to fit a pretzel-shaped crypto into the square hole of existing laws.

I blogged about it because this is my curse now

if you're feeling like an erudite crypto skeptic anywhere in the world, you should probably respond, 'cos all the regulators talk to each other.

also, posting :wrong: into all the boxes is unlikely to make it to the final version

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
in bettychat, my mother was a betty (born 1934) but wouldn’t have shown up on the census as a betty because her first name was something entirely different

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

divabot posted:

in other news the UK Financial Conduct Authority is doing a consultation on cryptos. Draft paper (PDF).

basically they're trying to fit a pretzel-shaped crypto into the square hole of existing laws.

I blogged about it because this is my curse now

if you're feeling like an erudite crypto skeptic anywhere in the world, you should probably respond, 'cos all the regulators talk to each other.

also, posting :wrong: into all the boxes is unlikely to make it to the final version

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
4.88 BTC was stolen from me, BUT HOW?! (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 3 years ago by arkanoah

Today i synchronised with network and failed to find any BTC in my wallet. They all gone. BUT HOW? .wallet is passworded with hardly to brute password, PC with no viruses (at least that Bitdefender can find), firewall is working. All security update for Windows 7 64bit is in place. I use different hard to brute passwords for different programs, wallets, forums, emails , etc.

Still they are all gone https://blockexplorer.com/tx/5a6cfedd55fdf3340123c59833bd3f8bc3adad4ef7cacae252faf6fcb005486e
How to find vulnerability that coused this loss ?!

rydan 54 points 3 years ago

It was the day after Fallout 4 was released. Did OP download a pirated copy of Fallout 4?

arkanoah[S] 35 points 3 years ago

i did :( codex release instant karma?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i remember that, good times

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Crypto Investor Claims Exchange ZBG Report him to Police after He Made Too Much Money There
JAN 23, 2019, 17:45by LYLIAN in BITCOIN

A Chinese cryptocurrency investor claimed that crypto exchange ZBG (a brand under ZB.com) reported him to the police after he earned some money on the trading platform.

“ZBG’s customer service said they have called the police to arrest me, because I make money on the exchange (which has yet to be withdrawn)! Please help!”

The crypto investor surnamed Zhang asked for help in a post on 8btc Forum, China’s oldest and largest crypto community. The post has been viewed for over 11,000 times and has 100+ comments in two days.

Zhang said his account on ZBG.com and the account on ZB.com have been frozen “for no reason”, with 400,000 yuan (roughly $60,000) balance in the account yet to be withdrawn. He tried to report the asset freeze to police, but was rebuffed when they said it cannot be filed for a case because few info about the exchange such as office address could be provided.

Why accounts frozen?

It turned out that Zhang’s accounts were frozen in large part because he was “too clever”.

The story started with Zhang’s frequent transactions of PCC/ZT on ZBG platform. The day before his accounts were frozen, he sold out a total of 10,000 PCC, an altcoin on the exchange.

After several small deals, he found a tricky rule – there’re no pending orders with the bid ranging from 10 yuan to 20 yuan on the platform, so long as he posts buy orders offering over 10 yuan and meanwhile posts sell orders priced higher than the buying price, he could pocket the price difference, and there would always be buyers/sellers taking his orders.

The practice sounds very like wash trading, a practice of an individual or individuals repeatedly trading assets back and forth to simulate organic volume. It is a way to make an exchange look more popular than it really is, which is often conducted by trading bots. In this case, Zhang detected the “bug” and might have taken advantage of it to trade with the bots. Surprisingly, he won the game.

Using this trick, Zhang earned about 700,000 ZT (the coin issued by ZB.com) shortly in two days, that’s approximately 200,000 yuan (roughly $30,000); while on the third day, he waked up finding his accounts frozen.

The reply he received from the exchange was that Zhang has profited illegally as they had received complaints from users who were victims of Zhang’s malicious ttrades, claiming he has violated the user agreement that

“Users shall not maliciously interfere with the normal operation of cryptoasset transaction, and shall not influence the normal operation of the platform and other customers’ activities on the platform by any technical means or other means.”

Possible to earn money from exchange?

It is common to see exchange malfunction or bugs. In most cases, users often fall the victims to swallow the bitter pill; while this time, the user took advantage of the exchange and made money, but the exchange still has the upper hand by brutally freezing user’s account. Though he played some tricks, many people on the forum tended to side with the guy over the exchange.

The exchange said users who suffered great loss from Zhang’s malicious practice had reported it to the police, and the platform would provide Zhang’s KYC info for police if necessary. The afterward treatment of the exchange actually has no problem.

What infuriated Zhang was that the customer service replied,

“You have earned a lot since you were registered on the exchange, which has led many users to great losses.”

While according to Zhang, prior to it, he had lost more than 800,000 yuan ($120,000) on the exchange, but he bears it with few complaints.

8btc has reached out for ZBG platform, the reply is ambiguous reading that

“Please be assured that user’s account won’t be blocked for no reason”.

ZB.com was founded in China in 2013, and moved to British Virgin Islands for the country’s ban on crypto exchanges. Ealier this month the exchange surpassed Binance as the largest crypto exchange in terms of trading volume at one point. This raised many people’s speculations that the exchange was manipulating its trading volume, considering most of the exchanges have a falling trading volume during the same period of time.

At the time of this writing, ZB.com is the fourth largest crypto exchange by trading volume, handling around $369 million in the last 24 hours, according to CoinMarketCap.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

:chanpop:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
invest bitcoin with the world’s best trading platform and get double of your investment deposit after 5 hours ,it is simple all you need to do is to invest and we will make the profit for you. Btcexcelinvest.com easy, secured and trusted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_o2Ny735Yo

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
no

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i invested the largest reasonable sum possible and wow it totally works - at the end of the 5 hours i had zero loving dollars.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
that's a lie

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

couldn't even get the goatse lawyer, pathetic

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation