Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Thanks for the info, pros.

moana posted:

High five, fellow first year VITA volunteer with a coordinator that hasn't emailed you about the schedule yet! I am so excited to gently caress up someone's taxes :toot:

I passed my tests and everything but I need to do way more practice to 1. Be able to do a complete return in less than an hour and 2. Mitigate loving up some poor E3's entire life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BonerGhost posted:

Thanks for the info, pros.

I passed my tests and everything but I need to do way more practice to 1. Be able to do a complete return in less than an hour and 2. Mitigate loving up some poor E3's entire life
Don't worry. You can't. You're not the reason they're buying a Mustang at 14%.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
lol I just finished a first pass at my 2018 taxes and I owe $15,000 to the federal government.

Guessing this is because of hosed up withholding at the beginning of the year?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

lol I just finished a first pass at my 2018 taxes and I owe $15,000 to the federal government.

Maybe! Hard to say w/o moar info

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My mom passed away last year. If I have her W-2 and SSN, can I just do a free file for her online or do I need something else special?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Ummm...sure?

I mean if you didn't realize investment gains or do 1099 work or something and you're just a W2 employee then absolutely yes you hosed up your withholdings, or your company's payroll department did. Use this: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/irs-withholding-calculator

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

My mom passed away last year. If I have her W-2 and SSN, can I just do a free file for her online or do I need something else special?

Is she getting a refund? Are you the personal representative, or executor of the estate? At a minimum you need to write "DECEASED" on the top of the return, along with the date of death. If there's a refund you need to attach a Form 1310 and the court appointment naming ypu personal rep or a copy of the will listing you as executor.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

axeil posted:

My girlfriend and I are getting married this year ( :toot: ) and I was curious if there were any tax-related implications we should be aware of and start preparing for now. She owns a condo (with a modest mortgage) and we're doing our taxes together by hand this year so we both have full and accurate info on everything.

Is there anything in particular we need to prepare ourselves for prior to getting married on the tax front?

Try also mocking up a return as if you were already married filling jointly to get an idea of how marriage will affect your situations. Also be aware that the "married" withholding rates assume your spouse doesn't work, so you both should probably continue to withhold at single rates unless one of your incomes is way, way nicer than the other.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

urnisme posted:

Try also mocking up a return as if you were already married filling jointly to get an idea of how marriage will affect your situations. Also be aware that the "married" withholding rates assume your spouse doesn't work, so you both should probably continue to withhold at single rates unless one of your incomes is way, way nicer than the other.

Also unless you both have high almost equal incomes or need to consider student loan repayment schedules (those consider your AGI, which goes higher when combing both incomes as MFJ), it is unlikely that married filing separately will work out better, but if need be you can check that as well (note MFS is NOT filing as single, would not believe how many times I've had to correct that...).

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MadDogMike posted:

Also unless you both have high almost equal incomes or need to consider student loan repayment schedules (those consider your AGI, which goes higher when combing both incomes as MFJ), it is unlikely that married filing separately will work out better, but if need be you can check that as well (note MFS is NOT filing as single, would not believe how many times I've had to correct that...).

She has a lot of student loans that are subject to income-based repayment. Do we need to file as MFS instead of MFJ?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

axeil posted:

She has a lot of student loans that are subject to income-based repayment. Do we need to file as MFS instead of MFJ?

Maybe. She'll want to call up the Sallie Mae successor she uses and find out how much she'll have to repay using the MFJ income versus the MFS income.

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
This past year I over contributed to my HSA by $1500. I withdrew the excess funds, but my W-2 doesnt show that.

Do I just simply include both the $1500 contribution as well as the $2ish of interest I earned on that amount in the Other Income line on schedule 1?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Initio posted:

This past year I over contributed to my HSA by $1500. I withdrew the excess funds, but my W-2 doesnt show that.

Do I just simply include both the $1500 contribution as well as the $2ish of interest I earned on that amount in the Other Income line on schedule 1?
Yeah it won't get reflected on the W-2. I had to withdraw some excess contributions the year before last and I believe I ended up marking the excess on Other Income but I also filed an 8889 I believe (which gets zeroed out by the end since it's an excess withdrawal).

Copy/pasting a comment I wrote to somebody about excess contributions on reddit previous:

quote:

...because your excess contributions were employer contributions and assuming the rest of your contributions were also through payroll deductions then the values on your 8889 will look like this:

Line 9: $X+500 (Your regular employer contributions plus the excess)
Line 10: $0 (This line is specifically about contributions made by rolling over an IRA into an HSA)
Line 11: $X+500
Line 12: $0 (Your contribution limit will be less than the amount your employer contributed so this will zero out)
Line 13: $0
Line 14a: $500+gains (You'll withdraw this via the excess contributions form from your HSA provider. If you used the HSA for any medical expenses this year, add them in here.)
Line 14b: $500+gains (The excess contributions are exempt from the following calculations)
Line 14c: $0 (This gets zeroed out because all of your distributions were excess contribution withdrawal)
Line 15: $0 (Assuming you had no qualified medical withdrawals in addition to all of this)
Line 16: $0 (Because you had no money withdrawn that wasn't excess contributions, you have zero Taxable HSA Distributions to worry about, but you do still report the value of Line 14b on your 1040 Line 21, "Other Income")
Line 17a: No need to check the box because you don't have anything on Line 16.
Line 17b: $0

Explanation: There is no additional 20% tax and there is no need to qualify that because none of your distributions made it to Line 16. Meanwhile, you need to add the withdrawal to your 1040 on Line 21, "Other Income" to specify that it's normal taxable income. Whether or not you had excess contributions, you would have to file an 8889 to report HSA contributions (made by you or an employer on your behalf via payroll), but in this case you're using it to also report that you made excess contribution withdrawals. Hopefully that clarifies things a bit.

I'm not a tax guy (I'm just some nerd on the internet) so please feel free to get this double checked but this is what I learned from the experience myself.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 24, 2019

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I can't understand why I never get a tax refund. I made $55k this year. I paid $6000 in federal taxes, and $2000 in state taxes. I'm getting $588 back from the feds, but I owe $612 to the state, so I net -$30. Shouldn't I be getting a few hundred dollars back at least? Taxes hurt my small brain.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

RCarr posted:

I can't understand why I never get a tax refund.

Because your withholding is correct. The optimal situation is to get nothing back and owe nothing.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

RCarr posted:

I can't understand why I never get a tax refund. I made $55k this year. I paid $6000 in federal taxes, and $2000 in state taxes. I'm getting $588 back from the feds, but I owe $612 to the state, so I net -$30. Shouldn't I be getting a few hundred dollars back at least? Taxes hurt my small brain.
Your withholding suck

Motronic posted:

Because your withholding is correct. The optimal situation is to get nothing back and owe nothing.
Just because they're netting near zero between state and fed I wouldn't say they're withholding correctly. Ideally you get a refund of close to $0 on both. I agree the net outcome is the same but man it would bother me to have that imbalance.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hoodwinker posted:

Just because they're netting near zero between state and fed I wouldn't say they're withholding correctly. Ideally you get a refund of close to $0 on both. I agree the net outcome is the same but man it would bother me to have that imbalance.

So what do I do? Ask my accounting department why they suck?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

RCarr posted:

this is not an accounting department issue

it's based on how you filled out your W-4

you can fill out a new W-4 if you would like!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

RCarr posted:

Use the W4 worksheets to properly set up your allowances or any additional withholding. If you're working one job as W2 all year with no other taxable income, you should be able to predict your tax liability at the start of the year (given that you understand what credits/deductions affect your taxable income).

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

RCarr posted:

Thanks for this, you're prepping me for getting asked this question a million times during tax season.

Fun fact, the withholding tables are all bad and dumb and will be really bad and dumb this year. Normally a person filing Single and 1 in my state (NY) will get a small refund/break even with the Federal Govt and owe money to NYS because NYS is cheap as hell and they engineer no cushion into their tables. This year the IRS hosed up their tables because the new Tax Law was created by clowns and morons so I'm expecting a lot of people to owe who don't usually.

Pray for me and other tax preparers this year.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Hoodwinker posted:

Well, yeah.....the imbalance is a (likely correctable) problem, but overall this is much better than a lot of people are doing.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

axeil posted:

Having been in this exact same situation and prepped complete mock up tax returns to evaluate the consequences, it is very unlikely that it will be to your advantage to MFS rather than MFJ in order to benefit from student loan IBR. Our MFS tax penalty was colossal, approximately 15% of federal tax owed. There is no easy way around joint spouse AGI for the purpose of IBR and depending upon how big your loans are and how big the benefit of IBR is, you should do a financial analysis of actually getting married before you do it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Thanks for this, you're prepping me for getting asked this question a million times during tax season.

Fun fact, the withholding tables are all bad and dumb and will be really bad and dumb this year. Normally a person filing Single and 1 in my state (NY) will get a small refund/break even with the Federal Govt and owe money to NYS because NYS is cheap as hell and they engineer no cushion into their tables. This year the IRS hosed up their tables because the new Tax Law was created by clowns and morons so I'm expecting a lot of people to owe who don't usually.

I noticed right away something was up when my wife and I had to withhold a sizable chunk of additional income on each of our paychecks. This is with 0 allowances each. Some of it is I'm sure that we're both withholding as MFJ (instead of Married; But Withholding Single) but some of it just felt like the tax tables were f-u-c-k.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah this has been on my mind, I couldn't find anything about it and I couldn't remember whether it was this year or last.

I am super not excited about telling a bunch of people with low income that they owe thanks to a bunch of assholes who hosed them over and basically lied about it.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah this has been on my mind, I couldn't find anything about it and I couldn't remember whether it was this year or last.

I am super not excited about telling a bunch of people with low income that they owe thanks to a bunch of assholes who hosed them over and basically lied about it.

Huh, it seems withholding may have been screwed across the board. I'm owing over $20k estimated despite no changes in filing status, adding a dependent, and no W-4 changes.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Hi thread first time posting sorry if I'm breaking any rules.

I had about $3.5k in medical expenses for 2018 which well exceeds 10% of my grossly income, yet Turbo Tax is saying it's not deductible and it's looking like I owe Uncle Sam a big chunk of money despite that.

These are legitimate expenses I was in hospital for a week and had multiple follow ups and exams. Fyi

Should I see a real accountant or is Turbo Tax being fair and accurate here? Thanks.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
To deduct medical expenses you have to itemize instead of taking the standard deduction, and the standard deduction for 2018 is 12,000 dollars.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I did some self-employed gig stuff this year and I've got my federal taxes all figured out, but have a few state-related things that I can't quite figure out from the documentation I have:

For Georgia taxes:
1) Do I absolutely have to file the form 500 rather than the EZ version? I'm assuming that my self-employed income doesn't count in "wages, salaries, tips, dividends, and interest income only" and thus the answer is yes.

2) Do I need to list said self-employment income on Schedule 1 somehow? Under additions as "other"?

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.

Action-Bastard posted:

Hi thread first time posting sorry if I'm breaking any rules.

I had about $3.5k in medical expenses for 2018 which well exceeds 10% of my grossly income, yet Turbo Tax is saying it's not deductible and it's looking like I owe Uncle Sam a big chunk of money despite that.

These are legitimate expenses I was in hospital for a week and had multiple follow ups and exams. Fyi

Should I see a real accountant or is Turbo Tax being fair and accurate here? Thanks.

sale on Banksy art posted:

To deduct medical expenses you have to itemize instead of taking the standard deduction, and the standard deduction for 2018 is 12,000 dollars.

To add to this - if some chunk of these medical expenses are going to be recurring in nature, you really should consider a health savings account. Health savings accounts are deductible regardless of whether you itemize or not.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

taiyoko posted:

So I did some self-employed gig stuff this year and I've got my federal taxes all figured out, but have a few state-related things that I can't quite figure out from the documentation I have:

For Georgia taxes:
1) Do I absolutely have to file the form 500 rather than the EZ version? I'm assuming that my self-employed income doesn't count in "wages, salaries, tips, dividends, and interest income only" and thus the answer is yes.

2) Do I need to list said self-employment income on Schedule 1 somehow? Under additions as "other"?

1 - definitely, need to use full Form 500 for business income.

2 - The Schedule 1 is for additions/subtractions from the federal AGI for Georgia tax purposes (which you probably do not have) and retirement income exclusion. If neither of those apply, dont use it. If you are retired and have self employment income, it goes on line 2 of the retirement income exclusion page of the Schedule 1.

BonerGhost posted:

Oddly enough so far refunds have been mostly the same for my W-2 only people, the drop in withholding matched the change in tax perfectly. A few exceptions though, and itemized deduction people are probably screwed.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

MadDogMike posted:

2 - The Schedule 1 is for additions/subtractions from the federal AGI for Georgia tax purposes (which you probably do not have) and retirement income exclusion. If neither of those apply, don’t use it. If you are retired and have self employment income, it goes on line 2 of the retirement income exclusion page of the Schedule 1.

Oddly enough so far refunds have been mostly the same for my W-2 only people, the drop in withholding matched the change in tax perfectly. A few exceptions though, and itemized deduction people are probably screwed.

Thanks for the answer! Once I get my w2 from the temp agency, everything will be ready to go! A lot easier than I expected, considering TurboTax was gonna charge me $80 for federal and state because of the self-employment stuff, so I'm glad I said "gently caress that noise, I'll do it myself".

(I was able to do the numbers part for the w2 job based in my last paycheck's year-to-date on both gross income and taxes paid)

taiyoko fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 26, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

2 - The Schedule 1 is for additions/subtractions from the federal AGI for Georgia tax purposes (which you probably do not have) and retirement income exclusion. If neither of those apply, don’t use it. If you are retired and have self employment income, it goes on line 2 of the retirement income exclusion page of the Schedule 1.

That's good news, I hope I see that. Does this hold for your retired people drawing pensions/SS?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
My wife quit her job at a small business where she was a financial analyst for them. The business liked her enough that they offered her a consulting gig to help them out. This gig will allow her to work from home. We just created a single member LLC for this purpose with our state and also just created a business checking account and debit/credit cards as well.

I understand that we should not mingle business and personal expenses. However, there are some expenses that sorta straddles both. For example, our cable internet bill, our cell phone bill, utilities... i think we also need to buy a new iphone for her too since hers is falling apart.

I guess this is a 2 part question:

1) Is it ok if we use our business credit/debit cards to pay for this from the IRS perspective? From a tax perspective, we would only expense what we use for our business (for example, i guess we would only expense half of the cell phone bill for business purposes, and whatever fraction of our utilities goes to our bedroom which is her office based on square footage of the house). That IRS is ok with that, right?

2) If someone sues her, would using the business debit/credit cards allow them to pierce the corporate veil and attack our personal assets because these expenses are technically both personal and business expenses?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Mister Fister posted:

1) Is it ok if we use our business credit/debit cards to pay for this from the IRS perspective? From a tax perspective, we would only expense what we use for our business (for example, i guess we would only expense half of the cell phone bill for business purposes, and whatever fraction of our utilities goes to our bedroom which is her office based on square footage of the house). That IRS is ok with that, right?

Your bedroom can't be your home office unless you stop using it for sleeping.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

My wife quit her job at a small business where she was a financial analyst for them. The business liked her enough that they offered her a consulting gig to help them out. This gig will allow her to work from home. We just created a single member LLC for this purpose with our state and also just created a business checking account and debit/credit cards as well.

I understand that we should not mingle business and personal expenses. However, there are some expenses that sorta straddles both. For example, our cable internet bill, our cell phone bill, utilities... i think we also need to buy a new iphone for her too since hers is falling apart.

I guess this is a 2 part question:

2) If someone sues her, would using the business debit/credit cards allow them to pierce the corporate veil and attack our personal assets because these expenses are technically both personal and business expenses?

1. Yes that is fine. FYI be careful with a home office deduction as the IRS rules require that the space be used only for business and is at least historically/in theory a hot button for audits. A guest bedroom qua office probably does not count.
2. Not that specific fact. Consult an attorney in your state and profession, but a single member LLC that only provides professional services probably offers no meaningful protection of corporate veil to your personal assets. Your wife should have ample E&O or malpractice insurance to the standard of her industry.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
You can subdivide a room though if I am remembering correctly.

But your wife cant use that desk to play video games or whatever it has to be dedicated to the business.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

So I think my company payroll is messing up my withholding a bit. It's resulting in a pretty massive tax payment due for 2018 when we've never had to owe before. I could use some confirmation on this.

MFJ, both make about the same amount. We both claim zero allowances on our W4s.

In 2016 I paid $17k in taxes. In 2017 we moved from TN to FL and I started another job. My TN job withheld $13k and my FL job withheld $3k. For 2018 my FL job withheld...$10k.

We usually get around $1800-$2500 back as a refund. Now we owe $3500.

I fully understand I should have been paying more attention to this. I did the IRS withholding calculator and it said we need to be having more taken out. What I don't understand is how, with no changes to our W4s and my new job not paying a lot more than my old job, the amount withheld is sooo much lower for me, yet my wife's amount withheld didn't change at all. The only changing factor here is my new company.

Does this sound right? Something seems off. The amount we are short is like half of the change in salary from my old job to my new job.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Did you have the same number of allowances on the w-4 when you changed jobs? Double check with payroll that you're at married & zero.

If that's the case, keep in mind that the Trump administration directed the IRS to change the withholding tables so that people could see the benefit of the new tax cut immediately (well, before the election)! Cynics have suggested that the TCJA didn't actually cut most people's taxes, but they wanted it to appear to have done so, so the withholding was reduced with the expectation that you'd pay the remainder of the taxes in April, after the election.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

BonerGhost posted:

That's good news, I hope I see that. Does this hold for your retired people drawing pensions/SS?

Haven't seen those folks yet really, though did see one person working/drawing SS get screwed by income (and therefore taxable SS) going up but withholding not going up enough to compensate. It seems like if you're only earning W-2 income the new setup actually does what they claimed and keeps you with the same refund while getting more per paycheck, but the problem of course is part of the reason most people get refunds is because withholding is supposed to take enough extra tax to cover all the items that don't have withholding, and I suspect the new setup is worse at that so enough non W-2 income screws you. Also people who have ITINs for their children can't take a full allowance for them because they don't get the same child tax credit, which has screwed several of my clients as a CAA. And of course the states have their own withholding tables that may or may not cause issues.

freeasinbeer posted:

You can subdivide a room though if I am remembering correctly.

But your wife can't use that desk to play video games or whatever it has to be dedicated to the business.

Yeah, they can quite seriously wind up sending someone to knock on your door and demand to see the office space and ding you if they so much as see a kid's toy there. At minimum in my office at least the usual recommendation is to take a picture to be able to show it's set aside for business there. Anything you "split" for business should also be documented as much as you can for safety (guessing phone usage between business/personal gets... iffy quick) unless it's split by an accepted way like business miles for driving or square footage in the case of home offices, and even those might get challenged.

Omne posted:

So I think my company payroll is messing up my withholding a bit. It's resulting in a pretty massive tax payment due for 2018 when we've never had to owe before. I could use some confirmation on this.

MFJ, both make about the same amount. We both claim zero allowances on our W4s.

In 2016 I paid $17k in taxes. In 2017 we moved from TN to FL and I started another job. My TN job withheld $13k and my FL job withheld $3k. For 2018 my FL job withheld...$10k.

We usually get around $1800-$2500 back as a refund. Now we owe $3500.

I fully understand I should have been paying more attention to this. I did the IRS withholding calculator and it said we need to be having more taken out. What I don't understand is how, with no changes to our W4s and my new job not paying a lot more than my old job, the amount withheld is sooo much lower for me, yet my wife's amount withheld didn't change at all. The only changing factor here is my new company.

Does this sound right? Something seems off. The amount we are short is like half of the change in salary from my old job to my new job.

Normally W-4 withholding is pretty standardized (current year changes aside, but even those shouldn't mess up THAT badly for the same income if I understand the math right) so a different company shouldn't have affected it. Did you pick Married instead of Single on the W-4 by mistake? Otherwise maybe the company did screw something up somehow, or maybe some of the compensation got withheld differently (bonuses usually have a different rate of withholding, or maybe they had to include non-cash contributions of some kind in your wages that weren't withheld right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

sullat posted:

Did you have the same number of allowances on the w-4 when you changed jobs? Double check with payroll that you're at married & zero.

If that's the case, keep in mind that the Trump administration directed the IRS to change the withholding tables so that people could see the benefit of the new tax cut immediately (well, before the election)! Cynics have suggested that the TCJA didn't actually cut most people's taxes, but they wanted it to appear to have done so, so the withholding was reduced with the expectation that you'd pay the remainder of the taxes in April, after the election.

MadDogMike posted:

Normally W-4 withholding is pretty standardized (current year changes aside, but even those shouldn't mess up THAT badly for the same income if I understand the math right) so a different company shouldn't have affected it. Did you pick Married instead of Single on the W-4 by mistake? Otherwise maybe the company did screw something up somehow, or maybe some of the compensation got withheld differently (bonuses usually have a different rate of withholding, or maybe they had to include non-cash contributions of some kind in your wages that weren't withheld right).

I just double-checked and my W4 is the same: Married and zero allowances. I went ahead and updated it to take out an additional $300/check, but something still seems off. My wife makes virtually the same amount as me, has the same W4 as me, yet she has $7k more taken out.