Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
For the thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zf7pECsLPY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Has this been posted yet because it's New and Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpfzCxiQ-A

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

xzzy posted:

There's basically two career paths for a bassist that wants to get more attention: jazz, or whatever the gently caress you call les claypool's stuff.

A loving Men. Let me play slap funk bass while my guitarist tries to fit in something. Also I am not gonna try to sing to much just narrate poo poo I wrote on a hotel napkin. It’s about a cat. I wouldn’t go to a Primus concert if you loving paid me.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 23, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Less Claypool posted:

A loving Men. Let me play slap funk bass while my guitarist tries to fit in something. Also I am not gonna try to sing to much just narrate poo poo I wrote on a hotel napkin. It’s about a cat. I wouldn’t go to a Primus concert if you loving paid me.
The Primus/Mastodon tour last year was fun, although part of that was that the amphitheater had turned into a dust bowl by the time Primus came on, so Les Claypool's weird warbling about goblins felt thematically appropriate. Also Jello loving Biafra was there.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Been zipping through 2019 releases and came upon the meloblack band Malist who released their debut today. Definitely one of the better albums I've jammed in the last couple weeks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Less Claypool posted:

this is a very strange post/av combo lol

I saw Primus twice in a week in NYC like 15 years ago and it was great but I don't think I could do it nowadays

Claypool/Lennon Delirium is really good though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Less Claypool posted:

Primus are the greatest band of all time OP

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Speaking of good bass, I just love when the bass is given proper attention, especially if it's a fretless.

This (starting at 2:12 and really hitting its stride at 3:25) is probably some of my favorite bass playing in a metal song, so sci-fi and wonderfully spacey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIMEpj5SDcA

Such a shame that they sort of just faded out a couple of years ago.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 24, 2019

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

4 is better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hong-6luQU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh yah well my high school guitar ensemble had FIVE bassists (and a mandocello)

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don’t get me started dog.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 24, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Less Claypool posted:

Don’t get me started dog.

I kind of want to hear this rant

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I kind of want to hear this rant

Would people go see the Lakers if it was just Lebron James? Yes, but that’s the problem. He is a good bass player but it is poo poo when the band dosent know their left from their right hand.

You want a Primus song, go to a Zoo and find a common name from someone, there is a song title. Michael the Macaw, see?

Auditioning for Metallica when Cliff died, what, the gently caress get out?

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 24, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Less Claypool posted:

Would people go see the Lakers if it was just Lebron James? Yes, but that’s the problem.

You want a Primus song, go to a Zoo and find a common name, there is a song title. Michael the Macaw, see?

Are you saying that Primus is just "The Les Claypool and band show" because Larry's guitar playing is loving awesome and every bit as distinctive as Les' bass playing

and I'll let a drum nerd go on the Herb/Brain rant

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are you saying that Primus is just "The Les Claypool and band show" because Larry's guitar playing is loving awesome and every bit as distinctive as Les' bass playing

Yes.

Every person and their dog can play what Larry does.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Less Claypool posted:

Yes.

Every person and their dog can play what Larry does.

I strongly disagree but to each their own I guess :shrug:

I'd still give Claypool/Lennon a chance though it's much more balanced :)

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
larry playing on seven churches fucks me up a bit

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Marin Karin posted:

larry playing on seven churches fucks me up a bit

I did not know this, and the subsequent Wikipedia dive also taught me that Possessed's manager was literally named Debbie Downer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debbie_Abono

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
90s primus was appropriate for the times, but les claypool hanging out with jam band shitheads for the past 20 years has killed what little ability he had to make music anyone would want to listen to

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Muppets On PCP posted:

90s primus was appropriate for the times, but les claypool hanging out with jam band shitheads for the past 20 years has killed what little ability he had to make music anyone would want to listen to

Primus was good in the 90's (the new stuff is mediocre as hell)
Frog Brigade was OK because they did a bunch of Pink Floyd stuff
Oysterhead was bad
Bucket of Bernie Brains was terrible

I'll defend Claypool-Lennon Delirium to the death though

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Been waiting for 20 years for a Claypool and Grohl to form a supergroup under the condition that neither of them ever put a microphone near their mouth.

Never could decide who should do vocals though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If Les Claypool spent those 20 years killing commies instead of playing with jam bands, he'd be more like the bassist from Brocas Helm.

Gonna be honest, I read about the movie but I still have no idea WTF is going on in this music video.

Also, it's NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfT4Lflzmkg

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Reverend Bizarre is fuckin' good you guys

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

xzzy posted:

Been waiting for 20 years for a Claypool and Grohl to form a supergroup under the condition that neither of them ever put a microphone near their mouth.

Same. This would be a badass-as-gently caress rhythm section.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Less Claypool posted:

Would people go see the Lakers if it was just Lebron James? Yes, but that’s the problem. He is a good bass player but it is poo poo when the band dosent know their left from their right hand.

You want a Primus song, go to a Zoo and find a common name from someone, there is a song title. Michael the Macaw, see?

Herb Alexander is one of the best rock drummers of all time and Larry Lalonde’s guitar playing perfectly complements the bass playing. He can shred when he wants to. There’s not liking a band and there’s being wrong about them and this is the latter.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tom Morello counts as a bassist right

Herb Alexander is one of the best rock drummers of all time and Larry Lalonde’s guitar playing perfectly complements the bass playing. He can shred when he wants to. There’s not liking a band and there’s being wrong about them and this is the latter.

:hai:

e: I've got the soundboard recordings for the shows I was at too so I can always relive the time they cut Jerry Was a Race Car Driver short because someone threw a beer at Les and hit his bass, so he went backstage and let Herb do a 15 minute solo bit

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

Never could decide who should do vocals though.

Make them be Melvins. Like just toss them in right now and that they'll have three bassists and Dave Grohl is second banana to Buzzo.

I have faith that Dale will be able to keep them in line.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Has this been posted yet because it's New and Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gpfzCxiQ-A

Oooh, this is very very good.

Every now and then ill crank out Tokyo Warhearts as it's a solid as gently caress live album.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah i lost interest in them for a bit after Are You Dead Yet but the early stuff is solid gold, Tokyo Warhearts loving owns and this song is very promising

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

excepting crimso maybe, :hmmyes:

anyway here's some local boys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-Lv_giYu8

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

lmao if your band's guitars are in any way distinguishable from the bass

just get rid of the guitar entirely imho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jmWTgBDpqQ

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Reverend Bizarre is fuckin' good you guys

I consider them the best doom band to ever play but that's just me

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
this rules so hard it's like stsanders doing a shred video for ruins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEIaMpRCLo

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Smoke weed, hail Satan

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Less Yob more Windhand

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Needs more Black Sabbath. Also add some Spirit Caravan. Spirit Caravan loving owns.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Bell Witch does this pretty well. At least with BW the bass sounds like a guitar if you aren’t used to the genre.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 24, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It feels completely bizarre to be excited about CoB in 2019. But here I am. Excited. I used to live and breathe that band lol

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Less Yob more Windhand

I love Yob but yes always more Windhand.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

It feels completely bizarre to be excited about CoB in 2019. But here I am. Excited. I used to live and breathe that band lol

I love Yob but yes always more Windhand.

haha same I dragged my guitar to a Philly meet & greet just to have Alexi sign it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The hype for Windhand absolutely baffles me. One of the dullest and most predictable bands in a subgenre known for predictability.