Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Morbus posted:

This is a very interesting and spicy take...

The entire Army/Air Force/DoD Nuclear Energy for the Propulsion of Aircraft (NEPA) and Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion (ANP) program that it grew into had a total cost of ~1 billion, over it's lifespan from 1945-1963. Adjusted for inflation that's roughly 10 billion. So yes, billions were spent on it.

In contrast the reactors built as a result of France's Messmer plan, if we just include the 54 reactors built in CP0, CP1, CP2, P4, and P'4 batches (and ignore the four extremely expensive and as of yet mostly unbuilt new clusterfuck reactors), the total cost just for construction was roughly 100 billion USD inflation adjusted.

In other words, France's extremely ambitious and mostly successful plan from ~1973-1994 to generate nearly all of their electricity from nuclear power cost about an order of magnitude more just to construct the reactors than the US spent on it's dumbshit nuclear aviation projects. Since electricity demand in the US is and has been much larger than in France (today about ~8x times total GWh generated), the cost for the US would have course been much larger, several hundred billion to a trillion dollars. Indeed, the US built a similar amount of nuclear capacity as France and spent about the same for it, and even this was much, much more expensive than what was spent on nuclear aviation.

So rest assured that the amount wasted on super atom jet was small compared to the cost of nuclear reactors and this is very definitely not what is responsible for the sad state of our nuclear industry. I mean, France's modern nuclear industry is just as hosed as ours and they did go whole hog civil nuclear power, and did not have a nuclear aviation program.

Edit for sources:
https://fas.org/nuke/space/anp-gao1963.pdf
http://apw.ee.pw.edu.pl/tresc/-eng/08-FrenchNucleamProgram.pdf
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2353305
https://www.ladocumentationfrancaise.fr/var/storage/rapports-publics/054000069.pdf (in French)

I think the difference is between R&D costs and production costs. I'm saying we blew too much of our R&D money on aviation at a critical time. So we spent $10B of federal dollars on nuclear aviation between 1943-1963, but we spent $51.6B total on civil nuclear power R&D between 1948-1977. Spending that money on civil nuclear instead would have been a 20% boost in total federal R&D spending. Then you combine the non-federal investments in nuclear aviation, the personal investment (i.e. careers cut short when your funding gets killed), etc and you can see how it could have had such a negative impact on the industry.

(https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RS22858.pdf)

Senor P. posted:

I thought it was a typo and he meant innovation???
(Or was did he really mean the U.S. program for nuclear powered planes and rockets?)

Oh no I mean Nuclear Aviation, like these guys -

(again, super cool and 100% worth the stop if you're within an hour in Idaho.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the difference is between R&D costs and production costs. I'm saying we blew too much of our R&D money on aviation at a critical time. So we spent $10B of federal dollars on nuclear aviation between 1943-1963, but we spent $51.6B total on civil nuclear power R&D between 1948-1977. Spending that money on civil nuclear instead would have been a 20% boost in total federal R&D spending. Then you combine the non-federal investments in nuclear aviation, the personal investment (i.e. careers cut short when your funding gets killed), etc and you can see how it could have had such a negative impact on the industry.

I mean, given what the money they did spend on civil nuclear R&D got us, do you think an additional 20% would make the difference?

I just don't think the problems with civil nuclear power boil down to modest deficiencies in R&D spending. The bottom line is that by the 1970s and certainly 1980's, we already knew how to make the only kind of nuclear reactors that are currently known to be practical. Our failure to build lots of those over the last 3-4 decades is due to problems with funding, economics, politics, organization, and management, not really engineering problems. Again, France's nuclear industry--which is just as large as ours--is in deep poo poo as well. Is that because they just coincidentally squandered that existentially critical 20% of R&D funding on some Nuclear Jet sized secret weapon system back in the 50's, or is it that there are broader structural problems with the industry as a whole?

Now, had there been a lot more R&D spending, it's possible (though imo not super likely) that we would have ended up with radically better technology that would have been much cheaper, or safer, or powerful, or whatever. And that would have made a difference. But when you're looking to point fingers at why, say, Vogtle was a fuckfest, nuclear aviation is a weird place to land.

And if you do want to place blame on nuclear funding that was diverted away from civil nuclear energy research, nuclear weapons are obviously the place to start. Some crazy failed airplane prototype is a complete drop in the budget compared to that. And there are real, direct examples of how the needs of nuclear weapons production influenced civil nuclear power (i.e. relative lack of attention to thorium)

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe we aren't all going to die?

https://phys.org/news/2019-01-state-of-the-art-climate-crisis.html

Of course this would necessitate a nearly immediate and total buy-in from world leaders and the wealthiest people on the planet, so...

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

It's probably nicer to go out thinking that it was all unavoidable rather than knowing that we simply chose to "gently caress it" because making wealthy people do with less is never an option.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 24, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Insanite posted:

It's probably nicer to go out thinking that it was all unavoidable rather than knowing that we simply chose to do say "gently caress it" because making wealthy people do with less is never an option.

At least this way we can say that we actively decided that this was the right course of action. We stayed in power at all times!

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

Insanite posted:

It's probably nicer to go out thinking that it was all unavoidable rather than knowing that we simply chose to do say "gently caress it" because making wealthy people do with less is never an option.

Totally agreed. I get way more sadbrains when I think about how avoidable this all is than when I get fatalistic about it.

Like, one of those thoughts makes me think about what a farce society is and how truly awful humans (including me) are, and how we don't really give a gently caress about anything but our current personal pleasure, the other is like "whelp, happened to the dinosaurs too"

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Ironically, plastic dolls of Baby Sinclair will outlive all of us.

Maybe hyperevolved cockroaches of the future will dig them up and wonder how we went so wrong.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

I’m more and more of the opinion that nuclear aviation is what doomed the US nuclear industry to its current stagnant status.

If you look back at the history of nuclear power you see that right as funding was peaking and right and the academic base was broadest for nuclear engineering we decide to spend a generation’s worth of research on nuclear aviation. We spent billions on it from the 40s-60s and got very little in return. If that money had been spent towards civil power development instead it seems reasonable to assume we might have an industry today that isn’t in a bit of a death spiral.

Do visit the testbed aviation reactors out in Idaho, they’re pretty incredible engineering artifacts.

The sensible approach would be to have nuke reactors on the ground creating hydrogen from water and then combining the hydrogen with extracted carbon and/or nitrogen from the atmosphere to make fuels for jet engines.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1088467382090301440

Come ITT, Lindsey. Come and feel the doom and gloom.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Insanite posted:

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1088467382090301440

Come ITT, Lindsey. Come and feel the doom and gloom.

Had to check twice that he actually - and still - is :gop:. What a nice guy, first time in ages I enjoy a politician's Twitter account.

Also, 12 years seems absurdly exaggerated. As if we make another two.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Ocasio-Cortez said in an interview that we have twelve years to completely overhaul our energy infrastructure before we're all hosed. So naturally, the GOP jumped on it with an endless stream of "lol, quiet you silly girl all the rich white people will be fine!"

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Skippy McPants posted:

Ocasio-Cortez said in an interview that we have twelve years to completely overhaul our energy infrastructure before we're all hosed. So naturally, the GOP jumped on it with an endless stream of "lol, quiet you silly girl all the rich white people will be fine!"

I mean, are they wrong? :godwin:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Totally, cause at the rate things are going even the rich white people are boned.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Rich white people will end up living like middle-class brown people.

Middle-class brown people will be ground into paste to feed formerly rich white people.

This is called the circle of life.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
Pretty sure poor whites are gonna feel the pain too.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

No. They'll be humanely euthanized and then used to make food for formerly rich white peoples' pets.

On a global level, though, I'd rather be a poor white than any other variety of poor person. A poor dude in West Virginia will likely have a better time than a poor dude in Gujarat.

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames
I mean, there's still places in West Virginia that don't have flush toilets, the educational and welfare system essentially doesn't exist there, and there's very little sense of community left as opioids have destroyed what mountaintop removal and coal ash piles didn't. There's even a few minorities in the state, I hear. But you're right that SNAP still exists, I guess

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Phys.org: State-of-the-art climate model shows how we can solve crisis

... after two years of research and modelling, scientists have come up with a groundbreaking new framework for achieving – and even beating – the target of limiting warming to 1.5°C.
The research by leading scientists at the University of Technology Sydney (UTS), the German Aerospace Center and the University of Melbourne, has been funded by the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF) as part of its new One Earth initiative.

Welcoming the framework, LDF founder Leonardo DiCaprio says: "With the pace of urgent climate warnings now increasing, it's clear that our planet cannot wait for meaningful action. This ambitious and necessary pathway shows that a transition to 100% renewable energy and strong measures to protect and restore our natural ecosystems, taken together, can deliver a more stable climate within a single generation."

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report warned last October that the planet must be kept below the dangerous temperature rise of 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels if we are to avoid a worsening of the climate-related impacts we are now seeing at 1°C. The 2016 Paris Climate Change Agreement set a target of keeping warming below 1.5°C.

This new research has produced the most detailed energy model to date – and the first to achieve negative emissions through natural climate solutions. Its proposed transition to 100% renewables by mid-century, along with steps such as reforestation, would not only have benefits for the climate but would also create millions of permanent jobs. The researchers say this could be achieved at about a quarter of the cost of current subsidies for fossil fuels.

The research models 72 regional energy grids in hourly increments through 2050 and includes a comprehensive assessment of available renewable resources such as wind and solar, along with configurations for meeting projected energy demand and storage most efficiently for all sectors over the next 30 years.

"Scientists cannot fully predict the future, but advanced modelling allows us to map out the best scenarios for creating a global energy system fit for the 21st century," lead author Dr. Sven Teske, Research Director at UTS's Institute for Sustainable Futures says. "With momentum around the Paris Agreement lagging, it's crucial that decision-makers around the world can see that we can, in fact, meet global energy demand at a lower cost with clean renewables."

-------

Yeah, but will we?

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, but will we?

Let me guess that's also for a 67% chance of maintaining warming under 1.5c as well.

We don't use any sort of sane confidence interval for the outcome distribution of climate sensitivity when talking about the future of the planet, 2/3 shot is good enough (it's also because the distribution is right-skew).

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Honest question, since I saw several numbers around here in various intensities. At which rise of temperatures are we scientifically considered as "hosed"? What are the direct results out of that temperature that makes up this statement?

I read that anything above 3°C is basically a death sentence, but other sources also stated 4°C, other spoke of doom at 1,5°C already.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

You'll have to define "hosed" here
I'm sure someone would be willing to give you hypothetical scenarios of what will happen at each degree

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I guess you can apply various levels to that term.
Ecologically, having entire ecosystems on a very large scale collapse.
Geographically, having entire countries redefined or even taken off the map.
Humanitarian, having a solid number of death expected directly or indirectly.

And maybe hosed as in: The end of human life, the end of life itself, the end of the planet because it completely melts or whatever else can happen at this point.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goons Are Great posted:

I think this is a given in all scenarios, no? It's a matter of scale and intensity.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Goons Are Great posted:

Honest question, since I saw several numbers around here in various intensities. At which rise of temperatures are we scientifically considered as "hosed"? What are the direct results out of that temperature that makes up this statement?

I read that anything above 3°C is basically a death sentence, but other sources also stated 4°C, other spoke of doom at 1,5°C already.

Third post from the OP I quoted the IPCC's SR15 report released a few months ago, which describes a frankly optimistic 3°C scenario. That's a good start for your question.

Also, it's really, really hard to predict what a 3°C and beyond world will look like overall - the climate system becomes increasingly unstable beyond 2 degrees, and it's unknown how our sociopolitical and economic systems will evolve to deal with 2°~3°.

Personally, given the ongoing ecosystem apocalypse, I'd say we're already hosed as far as I'm concerned, as we've already been locked into 1.5°C warming and will for sure see the effects play out over the next two decades. But even if we're "hosed", it's important to note that it can always get worse. Much worse.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I predict everyone in this thread will die of old age and be forced to accept that they chose to do nothing with their lives.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Rime gets banned but this guy is allowed to keep shiposting.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drilldo squirt posted:

I predict everyone in this thread will die of old age and be forced to accept that they chose to do nothing with their lives.
can't wait to hear what you're doing

lol of course its nothing you're clearly projecting

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Goons Are Great posted:

I guess you can apply various levels to that term.

And maybe hosed as in: The end of human life, the end of life itself, the end of the planet because it completely melts or whatever else can happen at this point.

Ecological: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41670472
Geographical: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/3kw77v/the-drought-that-preceded-syrias-civil-war-was-likely-the-worst-in-900-years
Humanitarian: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/09/world/hurricane-maria-puerto-rico-cnnphotos/

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

StabbinHobo posted:

can't wait to hear what you're doing

lol of course its nothing you're clearly projecting
I don't like you enough to give you the details but being a better person than you is the long and short of it.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drilldo squirt posted:

You're already wrong, then. I don't like you at all, so you get no details. gently caress off back to CSPAM or wherever you came from.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Hello Sailor posted:

You're already wrong, then. I don't like you at all, so you get no details. gently caress off back to CSPAM or wherever you came from.

I'm happy for you, but don't you think it's kinda weird how hostile people in this thread are to the idea that global warming probably wont be world ending?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm happy for you, but don't you think it's kinda weird how hostile people in this thread are to the idea that global warming probably wont be world ending?
Imagine you were to predict a world ending threat, call it Cthulhu, white people, or consumption under capitalism, would you be hostile to people arguing that threat doesn't exist? Like what's your theory of mind where you can imagine people thinking "Well this threat is basically the worst threat I can think of, but I'll be chill about people ignoring it"?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

drilldo squirt posted:

The main guy doing that got kicked out of the thread, thankfully. Please follow him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Please, the slap fights are worse than the one-liners. And he's still coasting on good will from the cabbage joke imo

edit: p.s. if you're serious about the cabbage text me

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
A couple of pages back there was a kindly goon that mentioned a method of boosting invertebrate numbers by soaking down bags of collected woodland soil- anyone know of a book/site with a collection of things like this to do?

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Conspiratiorist posted:

Third post from the OP I quoted the IPCC's SR15 report released a few months ago, which describes a frankly optimistic 3°C scenario. That's a good start for your question.

Also, it's really, really hard to predict what a 3°C and beyond world will look like overall - the climate system becomes increasingly unstable beyond 2 degrees, and it's unknown how our sociopolitical and economic systems will evolve to deal with 2°~3°.

Personally, given the ongoing ecosystem apocalypse, I'd say we're already hosed as far as I'm concerned, as we've already been locked into 1.5°C warming and will for sure see the effects play out over the next two decades. But even if we're "hosed", it's important to note that it can always get worse. Much worse.
Just read that post and that is optimistic? drat. I mean the technical solutions offered to reduce carbon dioxide emissions seem realistic, especially since they will mainly stay in the hands of industrialized, wealthy countries, but how likely is it that we get any kind of larger-scale technology at some point that is able to reduce CO2 (and other greenhouse gases I guess) out of the atmosphere?
That was basically described as barely possible and even if so, would be way too limited to work, which I guess is realistic, even though I wouldn't rule out some nerdy idea that might actually help in the future.

Thanks! That is quite hosed on various levels.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Goons Are Great posted:

Just read that post and that is optimistic? drat. I mean the technical solutions offered to reduce carbon dioxide emissions seem realistic, especially since they will mainly stay in the hands of industrialized, wealthy countries, but how likely is it that we get any kind of larger-scale technology at some point that is able to reduce CO2 (and other greenhouse gases I guess) out of the atmosphere?
That was basically described as barely possible and even if so, would be way too limited to work, which I guess is realistic, even though I wouldn't rule out some nerdy idea that might actually help in the future.

Thanks! That is quite hosed on various levels.

I roughly remember some goon doing the math on this, and it was indeed quite unrealistic on the necessary scale. However as a supplement to all other measures it's not That unfeasible as I understand it. Some working plants already suck 1000s of tons out of the atmosphere at prices below 300 usd per Ton. Expected scaling reduction in the price could reach a level below 100 usd per Ton according to a company called carbon engineering. One study from Nov. 2018 says ccs methods have become much cheaper than benchmark costs, at 45 usd per Tonne. This however is coupled to a power plant so not exactly normal air. Unfortunately I'm on mobile and can't link em, this is just from the top of my head. So values could be off by a bit.

Something I find interesting about this is that it assumes normal market factors as the price drivers, one technology claims energy costs of 334 kWh per Ton of co2 extracted, which would have to be bought from the electrical market at market prices, so between 15 and 30 cents per kWh, which is already between 50 and 100 usd per Ton just for the energy. If you coupled these extractors to wind or solar power however, and run them in times when the market price drops below a profitable threshold due to overproduction, you could propably reduce prices significantly. If there's an impetus for people to provide these machines with cheap or at cost electrical prices (for example the looming destruction of our civilisation) it might get a lot more feasible.

However, and this is a big reason why people say it's unfeasible, almost all other methods of reducing co2 emissions are currently way cheaper than carbon capture. Saving energy and transforming the energy industry is all much cheaper and quicker than pumping out carbon and sucking it back in. Most studies assume that carbon capture becomes interesting and widespread near the middle of this century, as other methods of reduction are becoming more expensive compared to the effect.

I personally hope it develops further and that a few breakthroughs speed up the development, and I haven't dismissed it, but it's never the silver bullet some people want it to be.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Carbon capture is last in the list of things we need to promote and implement, because while it's ultimately necessary to actually achieve negative emissions, it's highly inefficient and even dangerous by potentially serving as an "enabler" element of sorts for our current socioeconomic structures. You know - "why change, when we can just engineer a solution that lets us keep emitting?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The reason we will never solve climate change is because some people think it's more important to "fix humanity" than to take carbon out of the air. loving hippies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dream9!bed!!
Jan 9, 2019

by VideoGames

VideoGameVet posted:

Phys.org: State-of-the-art climate model shows how we can solve crisis

-------

Yeah, but will we?

The land use ones are the hardest to imagine will actually happen. How do you convince Indonesia not to level their rainforest for palm oil plantations? Through giving their people shitloads of Western money, that's how, and that's why (imo) it'll never happen.

drilldo squirt posted:

I think per the latest SR15 that your viewpoint is actually anti-science at this point. How do you feel about vaccines and nuclear power?