Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/426824-schumer-blocks-bill-to-pay-coast-guard

I was aware of the bill but didn’t realize it was going to be voted on today.

Can someone tell me how this isn’t as bad as Turtle blocking every other bill that’s been brought up? As I understand, this was a clean bill solely for the coast guard to get paid, but feel free to correct me.

This only gets us paid while the rest of the not getting paid part of the government is still not getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

This only gets us paid while the rest of the not getting paid part of the government is still not getting paid.

I understand the bill. I’m questioning Schumer’s blocking of the bill.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Probably because it's a principle thing. Republicans don't get to pick and choose what parts they get to open, because if they did that then they'll tell everyone else to get hosed forever.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

nwin posted:

I understand the bill. I’m questioning Schumer’s blocking of the bill.

He wants to have everyone paid. It’s a lovely thing to do but fair.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniemcneal/instagram-dick-running

I think I've been inspired to make a 10 mile long dick via a bike ride on Strava this Spring.

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1088513396834742273

:catstare:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1088550753185222657

:yooge: Your favorite president (me) has just signed an executive order. The Democrat Party has been outlawed. Bombing of Cryin' Chuck and Nancy Pelosi, or Nancy as I call her, begins in ten minutes. God bless America!

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1088552306906484738

"Large down payment." What a loving crock.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i'm just imagining chuck calling nancy and her shouting across the room into the phone GET A DOWN PAYMENT ON DEEZ NUTS and some aide being all 'unfortunately the speaker cannot agree to this arrangement at this time'

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LingcodKilla posted:

He wants to have everyone paid. It’s a lovely thing to do but fair.

Does he not understand that junior enlisted, or really anyone for that matter, currently deployed, can’t just start looking for another job?

I don’t agree with what you think he wants. To me it just seems like more posturing. I’m obviously biased, and I know trump/republicans started this mess, but now it seems like both parties are at an impasse, with neither side willing to negotiate. Trump won’t do a thing without his loving wall, and the Democrats won’t give it to him.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah civilians with mortgages should go eat poo poo I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Once piecemeal bills go through shutdowns will happen longer and more often. Likewise using a shutdown as a bargaining chip to successfully get concessions will ensure that it is used again to get concessions later.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Don’t negotiate with terrorists n stuff.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

:yooge: Your favorite president (me) has just signed an executive order. The Democrat Party has been outlawed. Bombing of Cryin' Chuck and Nancy Pelosi, or Nancy as I call her, begins in ten minutes. God bless America!

This sentence does not include a joke: Trump wanted to talk to the media about his FART act, which has no chance of passing Congress.

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1088556026318802944?s=19

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

If you fund things piecemeal, the GOP is absolutely going to shut down the government and only fund what they want.

If you give Trump his wall (because he wants something tangible as a legacy), he's going to keep playing hostage negotiation for things.

One of the notable Republican defections is Johnny Isakson from Georgia. Isakson is an older GOP dude, sort of the John Boehner type. He sees the writing on the wall because if this shutdown continues, the Atlanta airport is going to be affected and Delta is going to have his head piked in their boardroom.

The GOP is going to cave on this before Trump will.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah civilians with mortgages should go eat poo poo I guess.

But can they go look/get another job? I’m thinking about an E-5 that just signed another 6-year contract. For them, they’re completely hosed/stuck.

I’m not saying it would be easy or that civilians should have to look for another job, but it would be easier for them, wouldn’t it?

If the coast guard was under the DoD, this wouldn’t be an issue. Similarly, imagine how up in arms every single military branch would be right now if the bill to pay them hadn’t been passed.

Edit: What That Works posted makes sense.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 24, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The military would be pissed.

Misters Booz, Allen, Hamilton, Boeing, and Raytheon would return 3/4 of Congress within a few hours with visible bite wounds and drool.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

nwin posted:

Does he not understand that junior enlisted, or really anyone for that matter, currently deployed, can’t just start looking for another job?

I don’t agree with what you think he wants. To me it just seems like more posturing. I’m obviously biased, and I know trump/republicans started this mess, but now it seems like both parties are at an impasse, with neither side willing to negotiate. Trump won’t do a thing without his loving wall, and the Democrats won’t give it to him.

You can't legitimize hostage taking behavior here.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

redneck nazgul posted:

If you fund things piecemeal, the GOP is absolutely going to shut down the government and only fund what they want.

If you give Trump his wall (because he wants something tangible as a legacy), he's going to keep playing hostage negotiation for things.

One of the notable Republican defections is Johnny Isakson from Georgia. Isakson is an older GOP dude, sort of the John Boehner type. He sees the writing on the wall because if this shutdown continues, the Atlanta airport is going to be affected and Delta is going to have his head piked in their boardroom.

The GOP is going to cave on this before Trump will.

There need to be 14 more republican defectors before anything real happens.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

nwin posted:

Democrats are in the "don't negotiate with terrorists" situation. If the Pissbaby In Chief gets anything for this shutdown, what is he going to want for the next one?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If the DoD was in this situation you would legit melt the economy down. The MIC is tens of millions of jobs, stretching far beyond the beltway into just about every area of the country. Like it or not they're a colossal employer, directly or indirectly.

redneck nazgul posted:

The military would be pissed.

Misters Booz, Allen, Hamilton, Boeing, and Raytheon would return 3/4 of Congress within a few hours with visible bite wounds and drool.

Booz has ~40% of their portfolio right now just sitting with their thumbs up their asses. That's like ~4.5bn out in the wind. They're paying everyone out of the shutdown slush fund for now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
don't negotiate with terrorists, open the f*cking government, then talk about pissbaby's stupid wall.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

There need to be 14 more republican defectors before anything real happens.

The longer this goes on, the worse it's gonna be for the donor class.

At the point where you have 60+ votes in the Senate, you're facing impeachment trial balloons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

redneck nazgul posted:

The longer this goes on, the worse it's gonna be for the donor class.

At the point where you have 60+ votes in the Senate, you're facing impeachment trial balloons.

That might honestly be when the shutdown ends.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

nwin posted:

But can they go look/get another job? I’m thinking about an E-5 that just signed another 6-year contract. For them, they’re completely hosed/stuck.

I’m not saying it would be easy or that civilians should have to look for another job, but it would be easier for them, wouldn’t it?

If the coast guard was under the DoD, this wouldn’t be an issue. Similarly, imagine how up in arms every single military branch would be right now if the bill to pay them hadn’t been passed.

To address your question, finding another job is technically feasible but the reality is horribly complicated, especially when you consider that the federal jobs process is so horribly hosed up that it took them months to get the jobs they currently have.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

Thanks. I mean it's all bullshit, and some people are more painfully hosed than others. I stood to lose a lot sort of delayed in effect because of a shutdown this long but DHHS stopgapped a lot of funding for NIH that didn't gently caress me over like it did in the sequestration shutdown.

It all loving sucks and we need some pretty radical change to prevent shutdowns from happening period or if they do it means administrations get dissolved etc.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1087853681834373120

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Trump started bullshitting about wanting a down payment and Pelosi already said no. So here we are:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1088565106089316353?s=19

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

facialimpediment posted:

This sentence does not include a joke: Trump wanted to talk to the media about his FART act, which has no chance of passing Congress.

https://twitter.com/elwasson/status/1088556026318802944?s=19

Wait what oh god my brain

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/24/688133135/italy-ordered-to-pay-damages-to-amanda-knox

Italy has been ordered to pay $21,000 in damages for manufacturing and destroying evidence, as well as the physical and psychological abuse and torture they put a 20 year old student (who didn't speak the language more than a passing understanding) through during their interrogation, in which she wasn't even given a lawyer.

That's $21,000. Not $210,000, and definitely not $2,000,000.

They literally had the DNA and footprint evidence to convict the actual murderer two weeks after the act, but they had already turned it into an international incident and couldn't lose face.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Guess big strong daddy trump is prepping an emergency declaration for his stupid loving wall.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/24/688133135/italy-ordered-to-pay-damages-to-amanda-knox

Italy has been ordered to pay $21,000 in damages for manufacturing and destroying evidence, as well as the physical and psychological abuse and torture they put a 20 year old student (who didn't speak the language more than a passing understanding) through during their interrogation, in which she wasn't even given a lawyer.

They literally had the DNA and footprint evidence to convict the actual murderer two weeks after the act, but they had already turned it into an international incident and couldn't lose face.
The prosecutor is a loving clown. A few years before this happened 48 Hours or something had a thing about the "Florence Monster" serial killer. Same prosecutor was in charge. He blamed the killings on Satanists based on a supposed satanic artifact found at one of the scenes. A journalist demonstrated that the object was just an antique doorstop and showed off a similar one he'd purchased at a flea market. So the prosecutor had him arrested for being part of the conspiracy. He was also blatantly writing a book about the investigation while still in the process.

Italy is a loving joke.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

The prosecutor is a loving clown. A few years before this happened 48 Hours or something had a thing about the "Florence Monster" serial killer. Same prosecutor was in charge. He blamed the killings on Satanists based on a supposed satanic artifact found at one of the scenes. A journalist demonstrated that the object was just an antique doorstop and showed off a similar one he'd purchased at a flea market. So the prosecutor had him arrested for being part of the conspiracy. He was also blatantly writing a book about the investigation while still in the process.

Italy is a loving joke.

Are they still prosecuting scientists over earthquakes?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Sister is a coastie (reserve) and getting called in to drill without pay this weekend. :toot: she's on the shut down the coast guard you fuckman if only a wall stops drugs and immigrants bandwagon.

BUG JUG fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 24, 2019

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
on the plus side maybe we'll actually see some kind of law made that says there's an automatic CR at previous funding until new funding can be agreed upon

lmao who am i kidding the democrats don't want to give up that potential weapon either probably

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

If I understand it right she didn't sue for damages and the $21k is the lawyer's fees? This "just" overturns everything and finds Italy at fault?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Vasudus posted:

on the plus side maybe we'll actually see some kind of law made that says there's an automatic CR at previous funding until new funding can be agreed upon

lmao who am i kidding the democrats don't want to give up that potential weapon either probably

:smith:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Casimir Radon posted:

A journalist demonstrated that the object was just an antique doorstop and showed off a similar one he'd purchased at a flea market. So the prosecutor had him arrested for being part of the conspiracy

That's uh, kinda hilarious :stonklol:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I wish that Trump was slated to deliver the commencement at the coast guard academy this year.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I saw ~250 new posts and said "oh no what happened" and then I got to the part of the thread where people started talking about video game consoles and said "OH NO"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really just kinda want the big reveal to be that GDP shrunk this quarter because of the shutdown. Unfortunately that'll probably require the shutdown to keep going for most of february and that's real lovely.