Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Started a new game in Rebirth. Slowly working up your lockpicking, stealth and toughness, stealing food at night, and loosening the bonds of your fellow captives was a really cool way to begin. The final run through the gates to the safehouse was heart-pounding. It gave me much more of a story motivation for this game. I look forward to hitting back at the Holy Nation and making their lives miserable. Making the long and dangerous journey south was pretty exciting, too.

All that lockpicking and stealth training also makes big heists so much easier as an early $$$ option. In Squin's Travel supply shop, I found a safe with four swamp turtle backpacks, each with a sell value of 10,000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you want to make money as a thief, doing a heist at the Trader's Guild bank in Heng is pretty lucrative.

Thinking of doing a monk run like someone mentioned earlier, staffs and unarmed should be good, no?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

dogstile posted:

Trader stalls are semi broken, you'll want to add an improved economy mod that gives people some form of regenerating cats. Otherwise they'll buy once and never again.

E: I'll have to try that texture mod out. I'm crashing on trying to build another settlement.
I know this was true in earlier versions, but can anyone confirm? since 1.0 I actually see NPCs enter shops and buy objects, which they definitely didn't use to do. I took this as indication that stores are fixed now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have started my faction leader pokemon collection. I have Tora the Fearless, Esata the Stone Golem, and Flying Bull locked up in my jail. The Shek are...less than pleased at this.

In the process I somehow became hostile with the Tech Hunters. I think somehow a flying kick from one of my ninjas might have hit someone in a bar or something. There doesn't appear to be any pacifiers for them - I'm probably going to have to mod that in, aren't I?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Minor Factions Pacifiers

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you disguise as a faction you are hostile with, can you turn in bounties to them?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My Kenshi starter story:

Started off as a trader. Unloaded everything on my bull onto the nearest merchant, saw that ore had the lowest sell percentage and bought up. Wandered around the desert for days and realize that every place in that area had the same mark up values. While I pondered what to do next someone pick pocketed me. Catching this pick pocket I manage to convince them to join me, and we became BFFs as we ran across the desert trying to find a place to offload this ore for a profit.

I eventually ran across a sizable battle between not catholics and not america and looted the corpses of the fallen. Then it turned out only some of them were playing dead and when they got up they started running after me and we booked it. Had a lot of athletics training running across the desert. I would make further profit stumbling across fights, either between humans or beasts, and taking what I can from the corpses. I went from honest trader to a scavenging buzzard.

Deciding I was sick of the desert and how I can't do trade runs cause everything was priced the same, I booked it in random directions. I went straight north and found nothing, headed back to one of the towns I knew and headed west, where acid chased me off. So I ran south where laser beams were firing from space. Straddling the edge of this area I head southwest and end up in a swamp. Managed to run into a village and upon entering the center I hear it:

"Fish and drugs here!"

:getin:

I did several drug runs from the swamp areas to the rocky lands in the south... well just to one city down there. No one else will buy my dank rear end weed except having to join a faction with a 10k start up fee who then slashes the price of what I sell by 50% which is no bueno. Using my money I started buying up building materials and hiring a few people. I then set up a base on the edge of the swamp as close to my main squeeze with the intent of growing my own pot to sell.

I am now locked in an eternal battle of blood spiders. Send help.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shinobi fence has a -50% trade modifier additive. So things with a regional 100% will get slashed in half 100 - 50 = 50. This is good for cheap ninja gear but sucks selling normal stuff. But the regional trade price for hash in UC regions is 400-700% IIRC so you still sell at 350% for example.

The biggest problem is they don't often have a shitload of money. Flats Lagoon normal vendors buy at an ok mark up so other Tech Hunters might be interested as well to do bulk sales easier.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
What's people's preferred way to power a base, wind or bio fuel? I'm at the point where I'm about to set one up and don't want to build a bunch of stuff to power it then decide the other method is better.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I do wind power with some batteries, because I don't want to dedicate any effort in maintaining fuel.

The downside to batteries is that they suck rear end until they're upgraded, though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If you're in an area with about 5 MPH wind you can slap small wind generators on top of buildings and that'll cover most of your power needs. If you've got high enough winds you can build the large generators instead and just use small generators if you want to take advantage of rooftop space.

Other power generation methods are pretty much just there if you build where there isn't much wind.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I occasionally build in 0 wind places and end up relying heavily on batteries. Fuel is a pain in the rear end but you'll find more than you'll usually need in ruins.

Cardiovorax posted:

I know this was true in earlier versions, but can anyone confirm? since 1.0 I actually see NPCs enter shops and buy objects, which they definitely didn't use to do. I took this as indication that stores are fixed now.

Stores are fine now, it's what they'll buy and how much money NPC's have. If they have the money they'll happily go buy bread, but that money doesn't restore without a mod, iirc

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
From what I've read NPCs do regenerate cats, but their daily amount is fairly low (something like 200-500 for most NPCs) and other stores in town are competing with yours for those meagre funds. Maybe picking products to target that level of wealth is also a good idea.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Any way to change someone's name after they've joined you? Some slave forced himself into my squad after I rescued him, and having someone called "Reaver Slave" running around is kinda weird.

Edit:

Antislavers.txt

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 23, 2019

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Broken Cog posted:

Any way to change someone's name after they've joined you? Some slave forced himself into my squad after I rescued him, and having someone called "Reaver Slave" running around is kinda weird.

Plastic surgeons do it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I didn't anticipate how Reactive World would change things once I started my kidnapping spree. That's fine and cool that the Berserkers took over after I kidnapped Esata, but now I can't kidnap her entourage OR find Ghost to kidnap him. So I guess I should import w/o doing NPCs or factions (which will also let me enable the Minor Factions Pacifiers mod) and try again, this time nabbing Ghost beforehand.

I also realized that my entire ninja squad are augmented and that's going to make snatching the Holy Lord Phoenix more exciting than expected. Might have to send in a random human from my labor squad to properly identify where he is and then rush in with my ninjas and commence the snatching. Or I could just kill everything in my way, but that's less fun.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Tried my hand at a slave start. Managed to get both of my characters out along with a good chunk of other slaves, 4 of whom joined me. And god drat the stats on those guys! Anyways after a day of winding through the mountains, evading patrols and getting a lucky river raptor herd going after gate guards which let me run past, 3 of the 6 party members fainted from starvation. I kept pushing through, and my heart sank when I looted some raptors and saw that they didn't have edible meat.

It was coming down to the wire, the remaining 3 members were getting close to 85. It was impossible to hit any settlements as they ALL had a gate on them, making a quick run for food impossible. But I finally found it, one single settlement with 3 buildings and no walls. I was waiting for the game to finish loading a pop a wall up in front of me, but nothing. One of the buildings was FILLED with food, rations and food cubes. After feeding everyone I check the other house and wake up the sleeping occupants. They decided to run up to the roof of the building... where a hoard of raptors decided to show up and rush inside the building after them.

I've got a good chunk of food, found some bandages even, half the party is out of their prisoner's garbs and they got some sticks for weapons. Gotta keep pushing out of the Holy Nation lands :getin:

tehllama
Apr 30, 2009

Hook, swing.
I did a slave start and initially only managed to get one out. The other two just had the absolute worst luck and I was working on getting recruits and getting a base up so I couldn't give them my full attention and resolved to get back to them. Well, Truth, my one escapee, got too close to Stack and got recaptured, but by this time she was a god of stealth and lockpicking and stealing, so as soon as night came she easily broke out and found a new lifelong friend in a cage next door - Hungry Bandit. They robbed the poo poo out of that little faction outpost building but it took several nights of resting in the hills above the town before they could even get out the main gate. Once they did they found Hobbs and a few other recruits, mined some copper and started a little town in the hills above the juncture of the Swamp and the Desert. Fast Forward 210 days or so, and that little town has a nearly fully automated mining setup that only requires one worker to produce tons of ore, steel, iron plates, and building materials, a huge amount of hydroponics staffed by two people, Level 4 gates and walls with 6 6 barrel harpoon turrets lining the gauntlet approach to the main gate, and master crafter Horse, who's at 95 in armor/weapon/crossbow smithing. Oh yeah, and an assault squad of 15, led by Truth and Hungry Bandit. High Inquisitor Seta is also in a cage on a roof in town, missing all of his limbs. He's locked right next to the Peeler.

At this point, the only decision I'm trying to make is whether or not I should install the recruit prisoner mod so I can recruit Seta and stick 4 robotic limbs on his broken body and use him to aid in the annihilation of Rebirth.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

finally tried my hand at base building with the 'freedom seekers' and decided some nice northern coastline was the place to be. sunny, sandy and wonderful for growing crops... shame no one told me about the ravening hordes of cannibals. had a nice little wheat and green fruit farm going, got some walls up and was even turning a nice profit from bread and copper sales. had a fishing mod installed too, so it was just this nice peaceful hamlet, living that good slavery free life. the first packs of starving bandits were no trouble at all, a few bumps and bruises, but those were just great for building up some combat skills... then the raids came. those first scrawnies I could actually handle, funnelling them through the gate with some dudes on towers with crossbows (still no harpoons yet) just gunning them down. then another, then another... and then gently caress me, one more raid. that last one though, my dudes put up a helluva fight but one by one they got knocked down with only my tiny skeleton dude 'half-pint' holding on, until he just couldn't anymore.

all my dudes slowly being dragged away to horrible fate... until the goats arrived! no poo poo, these loving cannibals decide to pick a fight with a massive goat herd and just get their poo poo ruined in the process. not gonna return to the northern coast to build for a good while, but as long as I play this game, I will never kill another goat for food. I love you murder-goats, you are my best kenshi friends!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Pictured: A prisoner providing commentary on the training program he is currently a part of.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I'm the naked pink hiver posing for the picture.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
That's Eyegore, the buffest bugboi there is.
Also an incredibly effective training dummy.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm having a lot of fun just playing as a skeleton. If you're careful or sneaky at the very start it's easy to get a repair kit and keep out of trouble. I haven't really bothered playing far as a human yet, but beak things make for good training partners since they don't eat your clanky bones when you're down. In a previous playthrough i found the reprogramming workshop in the deadlands, which gives you a free one-time gank squad of ~20 skeleton buddies, which can last a long time if you spend the time to repair them, so that makes starting off as a skeleton really easy, since you can then grab some free research artefacts without any real fighting skills. That said it's good to get sadneil along for the ride before you do that, since they attack bascially everyone that isn't you on sight, including town guards and that makes it hard to cash out all that loot. After all that i set up a workshop in the southern bone field town, which i'm kind of regretting, since there's plenty of iron and a constant stream of leather but no cloth to craft the good poo poo with.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There is a mod to make those skeletons permanent, by the way. It lets you recruit them as permanent squad members, which made for a rather overwhelming fighting force the first time that happened to me.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
That sounds overpowered as gently caress, but kind of tempting. Especially since it seems like getting skeleton squadmates is rare.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It absolutely is, but since you have to actively seek them out and then choose to use them, it isn't really very intrusive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I really appreciate how Kenshi is simultaneously super hard and super easy, depending on how you want to do things and the simple fact that it's very, very difficult to actually get a game over. Most fights may end with you bleeding and unconscious on the ground, but in a few minutes you'll be up and going again.

I also appreciate how my Hiver dude Bland lost his arm and getting him a robot arm has improved his arm stat. Hivers need a gym to work out at.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah hivers just need masterwork buff boi limbs. Weak limbs are to weed out the unworthy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Found some weaponry in a razed holy outpost, found a bunch of materials in a razed holy settlement.

At the border of holy grounds, we make our move to take retribution against Okran's followers. Slow going in whittling down the nearby holy mines, they really gently caress me up even going at a 6 on 1 beatdown.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Has anyone here ever actually killed either of the queens? Is there any point in doing that other than for the challenge/being a dick?

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Someone said upthread that you really owe it yourself to go exploring. I got into base building pretty early and took a long time to actually go explore, and it's so much fun. Going out on expeditions with your A team while everyone else keeps working back at home, bringing back plunder from ruins, going through all the different biomes. It's a really fun game, I just wish it was a bit less buggy/janky.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm going to restart and go from having an A-team of stealth/martial artists to a bunch of Shek warriors. No more stealth.

Cybernetic limbs seem to boost dexterity a shitload so I should probably do something like double katanas instead of heavy weapons though.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Vasudus posted:

I'm going to restart and go from having an A-team of stealth/martial artists to a bunch of Shek warriors. No more stealth.

Cybernetic limbs seem to boost dexterity a shitload so I should probably do something like double katanas instead of heavy weapons though.

There are also lifter limbs that boost strength, albeit more specialized and expensive.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I look forward to reading about all these egg producing goons meeting beak creatures with one basket.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Majestic posted:

Someone said upthread that you really owe it yourself to go exploring. I got into base building pretty early and took a long time to actually go explore, and it's so much fun. Going out on expeditions with your A team while everyone else keeps working back at home, bringing back plunder from ruins, going through all the different biomes. It's a really fun game, I just wish it was a bit less buggy/janky.

:yeah:

As fun as base-building is, it is infinitely more fun going and seeing what's out there. Today, for example, I went to the swamp:

Beautiful place, up until you run into the blood spiders and have to reload because they killed Keishaku and were eating Bark alive and my entire team was going to bite it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Has anyone here ever actually killed either of the queens? Is there any point in doing that other than for the challenge/being a dick?

It turns the relevant hive into fogmen

No real reason to do it to the western hive unless you are just being a dick since they are the most benign faction in the entire game.

Leal posted:

Found some weaponry in a razed holy outpost, found a bunch of materials in a razed holy settlement.

At the border of holy grounds, we make our move to take retribution against Okran's followers. Slow going in whittling down the nearby holy mines, they really gently caress me up even going at a 6 on 1 beatdown.

High paladins and inquisitors are pretty hardcore even later on. As an aspiring holy nation murderer you should probably focus on training up skills and acquiring better gear before really taking them on. Farms are easy to raid but other than that and some of the less guarded mines they come in too large of numbers with too high of combat skills to really fight. You can easily sneak into most of the mines and free all of the slaves in the dead of night though for some free recruits even if you can't fully clear them. Need to incapacitate the guards or just book it and try to save as many as you can.

Once your guys are strong and geared though :black101:...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

StrixNebulosa posted:

:yeah:

As fun as base-building is, it is infinitely more fun going and seeing what's out there. Today, for example, I went to the swamp:

Beautiful place, up until you run into the blood spiders and have to reload because they killed Keishaku and were eating Bark alive and my entire team was going to bite it.

Yeah i'm making an outpost of my own in the swamp. My biggest fear is not killing the swarms of 10-15 blood spiders before they bust my gate. Gonna have to make some powered multibarrel harpoons with a ton of batteries. I don't think the swamp has wind.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

Yeah i'm making an outpost of my own in the swamp. My biggest fear is not killing the swarms of 10-15 blood spiders before they bust my gate. Gonna have to make some powered multibarrel harpoons with a ton of batteries. I don't think the swamp has wind.

My base straddles the swamp's norther border with the, uh, borderlands. That way I can have my wind and eat my rice and hemp too. Blood spiders ended up being a lot less of a pain than I would have thought. Bigger threat is the raptors once you got some farms set up because holy moly those things come in enormous swarms. Otherwise, most significant regional annoyance is that some of those big overhanging treebranches can block construction on open ground.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Power Walrus posted:

Started a new game in Rebirth. Slowly working up your lockpicking, stealth and toughness, stealing food at night, and loosening the bonds of your fellow captives was a really cool way to begin. The final run through the gates to the safehouse was heart-pounding. It gave me much more of a story motivation for this game. I look forward to hitting back at the Holy Nation and making their lives miserable. Making the long and dangerous journey south was pretty exciting, too.

All that lockpicking and stealth training also makes big heists so much easier as an early $$$ option. In Squin's Travel supply shop, I found a safe with four swamp turtle backpacks, each with a sell value of 10,000!

This was pretty close to my experience too. Slavery is actually a pretty great way to start out once you know your way around the game a bit. By the time I ended up making my escape I had 2 characters with 70+ stealth, 50-60 lockpick, decent athletics and strength, and about 30 toughness from going out of my way to get my rear end kicked by the slavers whenever my injuries healed. When I finally decided to run for it I freed every slave I could to try to cause as much chaos as possible to cover the break out. It was a really nice surprise when 2 badass shek with 25-30 in all their combat stats ended up making it out with me and joining my squad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

wonder if it's always two shek that escape with you, since that's what I got too. they just absolutely primed to become some kickin' kung-fu dudes as well