Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

Anyone else feel like something's off with the art in Dick Tracy in the past few days? It's usually quite good, but Vitamin in particular has been looking off-model (hideous as his model usually is), and now this lady is looking like from a different art style altogether, or like a not quite finished drawing.

or is she the daughter of an obscure villain whose gimmick was being printed in all flat shading cause I could honestly see that with these creators

she's a girl who was surgically altered to look like moon maid iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Samovar posted:

I know! They're very reasonable. For a conspiratorial organisation.
Almost everyone in Corto Maltese seems to be oddly reasonable regardless of how morally questionable or outright insane they are, except for Rasputin, who absorbs all the unused unreasonableness like a sponge.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Not mentioning that the two cities have wildly different areas, Ripley? New Orleans is 900 square kilometres, Venice is less than half that (414 square kilometres) if you also count the mainland which is technically still Venice (in the sense of city administration) but has zero canals, and even less (200 square kilometres) if you only count Venice proper. You just can't compare two points of data like that.

This has been your pedantic nitpick for the day :eng101:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
really sorry for mentioning that i read ahead in jamal. i didn't intend to upset anyone or spoil anything indirectly. the situation in the story is one that i am personally familiar with, and i felt like i absolutely needed to read ahead for my own sanity. i should have at least kept it to myself

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

really sorry for mentioning that i read ahead in jamal. i didn't intend to upset anyone or spoil anything indirectly. the situation in the story is one that i am personally familiar with, and i felt like i absolutely needed to read ahead for my own sanity. i should have at least kept it to myself
For my part, I'm not mad at you or anything, just wanted to say something in hopes of curbing similar comments in the future.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation, that sounds terrible

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

My step-brother was shot and killed by police around 20 years ago. He was full-blooded Hawaiian and a drug dealer. According to the police report, he ran and then taunted the cops. They called it suicide by cop. At the time, I believed it. In hindsight, I wonder how it really went down. I remember seeing his birth dad for the first time, at the wake (I guess, we didn't call it that). He came over from Hawaii. I will never forget the look on his face. "Haunted" I'd call it. He didn't speak a single word.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

Feb 23rd 2006

Feb 24th 2006

Feb 25th 2006

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Haifisch posted:

2012 Spiderman

since we're doing vintage spider-man i'm reposting edits.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

South Korea has those too. They're not literally playgrounds for old people, those are just the main people who use them because no one else wants to do exercises in the park. Usually they're in the same area as normal playgrounds, but I've seen them in more obscure places like at the top of small mountains.

Aleph Null posted:

My step-brother was shot and killed by police around 20 years ago. He was full-blooded Hawaiian and a drug dealer. According to the police report, he ran and then taunted the cops. They called it suicide by cop. At the time, I believed it. In hindsight, I wonder how it really went down. I remember seeing his birth dad for the first time, at the wake (I guess, we didn't call it that). He came over from Hawaii. I will never forget the look on his face. "Haunted" I'd call it. He didn't speak a single word.

The spoilers here are a trigger warning, which I don't think is necessary but all right.

That story sounds true but running away from and taunting the cops is not suicide by cop. I've always understand that term to mean, like, brandishing a weapon when they've got a gun on you and have told you to stand down. It wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that they classify regular old murders like that because that term sure as hell sounds a lot more justifiable in a report than "he made fun of us" does.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The men in this comic are all using honorifics while Miss Giffs is...not. Whenever Peggy says Gee, by the way, she's using honorifics, but pronouncing them in a weird way based on how people used to write on an old message board.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The men in this comic are all using honorifics while Miss Giffs is...not. Whenever Peggy says Gee, by the way, she's using honorifics, but pronouncing them in a weird way based on how people used to write on an old message board.

Like someone saying "roffle" for ROFL?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

röfl

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Even though it's probably too controversial for most papers, I really appreciated how Jamal handled the pacing of that story. Imagine seeing that in your paper and just having to wait it out, every single day, wondering how the whole story changes...and then sorry, it's just the poo poo that instantly flashes through your mind when you're a minority dealing with police. But it forced you to experience that moment as if it were real, because for so many people it absolutely is. Sadly this requires more introspection than I think the average audience will have, and the letters to the editor would be insane.

Hope that made sense. I've never had a direct run-in with the law, but I grew up with the uneasy knowledge that the color of my skin would complicate any interactions I did have. Thanks for posting this comic.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

More obscure than that. It's specific to women of a certain generation (Internet users in the early 2000s) who learned how to be cute from the Internet. When It's All Right Chief Dharma first started it was a social marker of Peggy being in her early twenties, but the character introduction article for Cheer Up Boss Dharma had to explain it because Peggy is now too young for the reference to make much sense logically anymore. That's the only reason I know what it means now, since I certainly wasn't messing around on Korean message boards back then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

coronatae posted:

Even though it's probably too controversial for most papers, I really appreciated how Jamal handled the pacing of that story. Imagine seeing that in your paper and just having to wait it out, every single day, wondering how the whole story changes...and then sorry, it's just the poo poo that instantly flashes through your mind when you're a minority dealing with police. But it forced you to experience that moment as if it were real, because for so many people it absolutely is. Sadly this requires more introspection than I think the average audience will have, and the letters to the editor would be insane.

Hope that made sense. I've never had a direct run-in with the law, but I grew up with the uneasy knowledge that the color of my skin would complicate any interactions I did have. Thanks for posting this comic.

It was eye-opening. I'm white. I can rest easy knowing that cops aren't going to randomly shoot me. But going through that every time you have an interaction with a cop if you're not white? That is not okay.

Cheer up Boss Dharma meanwhile was hilarious. I love that she just broke off the other heel and marched on. I respect that.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Yeah, I was just coming in to ask if that was the "real" conclusion to the Jamal sorty? If so, "yay for not having a cop getting away with murder". I guess that might also explain why the girlfriend didn't attend the funeral.

Also speaking of, my take on the unidentified man at the funeral was that it is Jamal's father, but either he wasn't introduced in the comic proper yet, or the parents are separated/divorced.

I like the strip, but if I'm being honest, there's no way in hell you can get that story published in any newspaper, even with the "happy" ending. Maybe if the strip were running for a few years and had a fan base, you could do it. But in the first dozen or so strips? I'm saying no. And that's unfortunate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its not a happy ending and it's not the end either.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Why is it such a deal breaker for him that she snapped off the heel and just kept-a-walkin? Seems like a confident and resourceful young woman.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i don't think it's a deal breaker just that her quick solution meant that he couldn't use it as an excuse to make himself appear useful.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Huh after all the danger was hyped up this is really more of a puzzle story.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
The Perishers (1983)

Beau Peep (1985)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Andy Capp

December 12, 1957

"Did yer 'ear me? - I said I'm goin' 'ome to mother!"

Heathcliff Old and New

Ballard Street

October 28, 2002

Outbursts of Everett True

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

StrixNebulosa posted:

Outbursts of Everett True

I don't quite understand what happened here. Also, that last one...I guess Teddy Roosevelt was famous for bad spelling?

Edit: Oh haha a quick google answered the second question. https://www.history.com/news/theodore-roosevelt-spelling-controversy
Earwigs were apparently a significant issue back in the day.
I read them most of the time. If I decide to skip them because I'm in a hurry, I go back when you post the next batch.
:lol:

Macanudo

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This whole premise is stupid and insane and I'm starting to enjoy it.

The Phantom

Yeah, what does that mean?

Pooch Cafe: More than Meets the Eye

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

I don't quite understand what happened here. Also, that last one...I guess Teddy Roosevelt was famous for bad spelling?

Everett just left. The dude was telling a boring story so he left without a word, or something.

As for Roosevelt, today I learned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_Spelling_Board

The Simplified Spelling Board was an American organization created in 1906 to reform the spelling of the English language, making it simpler and easier to learn, and eliminating many of what were considered to be its inconsistencies. The board operated until 1920, the year after the death of its founding benefactor, who had come to criticize the progress and approach of the organization.

"The board's initial list of 300 words was published on April 1, 1906. Much of the list included words ending with -ed changed to end -t ("addressed", "caressed", "missed", "possessed" and "wished", becoming "addresst", "carest", "mist", "possest" and "wisht", respectively). Other changes included removal of silent letters ("catalogue" to "catalog"), changing -re endings to -er ("calibre" and "sabre" to "caliber" and "saber"), changing "ough" to "o" to represent the long vowel sound in the new words altho, tho and thoro, and changes to represent the "z" sound with that letter, where "s" had been used ("brasen" and "surprise" becoming "brazen" and "surprize"). Digraphs would also be eliminated, with the board promoting such spellings as "anemia", "anesthesia", "archeology", "encyclopedia" and "orthopedic". [8]"

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

I love all of you, that's probably exactly where I encountered it. Now to learn who this mysterious shadowy figure is :swoon:

Haha, I remember that guy. A live-in butler and chef guy. What a bizarre story arc! Inspired my first avatar choice, too.

Dude was serious about his cooking.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Johnny Walker posted:

Earwigs were apparently a significant issue back in the day.

drat straight they were. Terminix knows the score:

Terminix posted:

This species was accidentally brought into the United States around 1912. The Eastern and Western U.S. recorded their presence at about the same time. By the early 1920’s the earwigs were so bad in the Pacific Northwest that Colorado formed the Bureau of Earwig Control. They began control efforts by dumping 200 tons of “earwig bait” (I haven’t been able to find exactly what this was) over 30,000 lots. This provided some relief but the earwigs came back the following year.

Entomologists then began importing parasitic Tachinid flies from France. These flies are natural parasitoids of European earwigs. They lay their eggs on or near the earwigs and the larvae feed and develop inside the earwig once they hatch. A large facility was built with the specific purpose of raising earwigs and then parasitizing them with these flies. The parasitized earwigs were distributed widely and were also sold for a penny a piece. These flies (Triarthria setipennis [formerly Bigonicheta spinipennis]), are now widespread throughout the U.S.

The Bureau of Earwig Control was eliminated in 1929 in a swirl of controversy when it was discovered that they made thousands of dollars by requiring unnecessary baiting of earwigs and charging homeowners for it.

Sally Forth

Skippy (September 10, 1931)

Peanuts (January 27, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

No Seriously, The Old Dude in Crankshaft Is Having A Heart Attack

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 26-28, 1931)

Thimble Theater (August 20, 1935)

Dok's Dippy Duck, featuring various non-earwig infestations of the early 1920s. (May 17-19, 1923)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nekonaughey

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's zero percent about making you feel bad for reading ahead. It's just a thing that can affect the dynamic of the storytelling.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It was eye-opening. I'm white. I can rest easy knowing that cops aren't going to randomly shoot me. But going through that every time you have an interaction with a cop if you're not white? That is not okay.

Justine Damond probably wouldn't agree.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

A lot of people in this thread have read ahead in Bad Machinery and its not a big deal. It's only rude to discuss stuff that's about to happen specifically enough that spoiler tags are necessary.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

A lot of people in this thread have read ahead in Bad Machinery and its not a big deal. It's only rude to discuss stuff that's about to happen specifically enough that spoiler tags are necessary.

No one cares one goddamn iota if you read ahead.

Posting poo poo like "the next strip is great" or especially "we'll never see that character again" is really obnoxious, though. That's the issue.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It's zero percent about making you feel bad for reading ahead.

It's this. And also:

The Bloop posted:

Posting about how you read ahead isn't making good conversation. If you've got something good to say about it, it'll be better served at a time when everyone is sharing in the moment and can react and maybe discuss and talk about things as a group.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Posting poo poo like "the next strip is great" or especially "we'll never see that character again" is really obnoxious, though. That's the issue.

I saw the next Everett True, and it's great, and also we'll never see the character in it again.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is the tapping-temple meme.

Working Daze is season 1 Chidi.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix really wants to get in there.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

I saw the next Everett True, and it's great, and also we'll never see the character in it again.

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i apologized, and i made it clear that i was sorry for mentioning it, not that i was sorry for reading ahead. please stop harping on it. not you, the bloop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner