Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

Home and work confluence has arrived and I'm at a loss.

The only time I have that kind of problem is when there is anything else messing with the DNS like a hotel wifi set up or competing software like Direct Access. Not the former but there anything like the later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Weatherman posted:

Is the veeam update process relatively easy? I have "install latest update" on my list of things to do but since I only learnt what veeam was last November, I'm a bit wary of changing in production.

You literally run the update file and follow the wizard. I've also found it very resilient, the few times it has had an issue it has rolled itself back without a problem.

Also, the Veeam support is pretty good, you ring up and the 1st person you talk to is the engineer who will be helping you. There is no talking to a call handler who assigns it a priority and promises a call back within 4 hours or so. This is in the UK at least, unsure if their support is different elsewhere?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

LethalGeek posted:

The only time I have that kind of problem is when there is anything else messing with the DNS like a hotel wifi set up or competing software like Direct Access. Not the former but there anything like the later?

Only thing I can think of is that the router is doing some form of AP isolation, but since that's not an available setting, I can't validate that. Also, the fact that it only bothers 5GHz and not 2.4 on her laptop is extra weird. I have seen some posting on Netgear forums that people had trouble with local SMB shares on 5, but not on 2.4.

The default Netgear software is pretty poo poo, so I'm probably going to throw DD-WRT on it this weekend so I can regain some control over things.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
True to the thread title, and being intentionally vague, guess who has two thumbs and management that is scrambling to find out why our MSFT support numbers have expired?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

I don't have any special settings on the router (Netgear Nighthawk X4S) other than restricting DHCP range to the 2-100 IPs.

I have this model and 5ghz has some major fuckery in the current live firmware I had to go back two versions.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

True to the thread title, and being intentionally vague, guess who has two thumbs and management that is scrambling to find out why our MSFT support numbers have expired?

ohh! Ohh! Can I guess? Is it you? And for the reason, I'm gonna go with lovely VAR forgetting to even bill you for the support renewal.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

We're going to be fawning over that thing for the next page, aren't we?

SO ADORABLE

Quit bucking the system

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Buck you :mad:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Had a demo of a VoIP deskphone today. The things run an out-of-date version of Android (6, January 2018 security patches), require people to log into their Google accounts as part of the setup process, download the actual phone application from the store, and give people free rein to install whatever apps they want, the thing is a sea of update notifications for 15 minutes after first booting.

I have no idea how you can take a telephone and gently caress it up so badly. The icing on the poo poo cake is that it also runs slowly so it’s not even a good telephone.

The vendor suggests we manage them by enrolling them in MDM (because none of the Android stuff can be provisioned by the PBX), and I was too shocked to laugh them out the room.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Had a demo of a VoIP deskphone today. The things run an out-of-date version of Android (6, January 2018 security patches), require people to log into their Google accounts as part of the setup process, download the actual phone application from the store, and give people free rein to install whatever apps they want, the thing is a sea of update notifications for 15 minutes after first booting.

I have no idea how you can take a telephone and gently caress it up so badly. The icing on the poo poo cake is that it also runs slowly so it’s not even a good telephone.

The vendor suggests we manage them by enrolling them in MDM (because none of the Android stuff can be provisioned by the PBX), and I was too shocked to laugh them out the room.

The punchline: your boss loved it and has already placed an order.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nah they thought it was poo poo as well, thankfully. I can definitely see people wanting the shiny thing though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Nah they thought it was poo poo as well, thankfully. I can definitely see people wanting the shiny thing though.

Its not Avaya is it? We are testing a Avaya Vantage phone now and its a huge pile of poo poo.

So I've been fighting a DNS issue with outgoing emails to a specific company, until recently, we never had a single issue with them. Turns out our mail gateway's hostname doesn't line up with PTR and A records. How no one noticed for years is a goddamn mystery. Apparently it was "too much work" to change this setting on the server, so it had to be done in DNS.

For some reason, our department handles DNS, even though it should be handled by our AD/Windows group. I jump on the servers and fix the records on Monday evening. Tuesday rolls around and still things aren't showing up right. Start digging in further. Turns out while the individual records are low, the SOA isn't. In fact, one of them is set for 48 hours for some goddamn reason. 2 days past, I had to travel to fix some gear at a site, and I'm getting emails saying its still not fixed. I get back to the office, and poke around further, and jesus christ find even more things.

Now some sites are reporting the right addresses online, but depending on which server I get and random luck, I get either the current address or the old one.

Wish we could have just hosted this all externally like I wanted. But one manager insisted that we had to have these onsite. He also wasn't the person who had to manage these.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The bad thing is that this describes literally every single Android-powered VoIP phone I've ever tried. Except maybe the security patch part, most of the ones I've used aren't that up to date. Ubiquiti, Yealink, Grandstream, they all seem to get their hardware from whatever the $100 smartphone vendors are rejecting and use whatever the first Android version their SoC vendor ever supported was.

I don't understand how the VoIP phone vendors manage to gently caress this up so badly. Somehow most of them even have a worse phone app than the barebones SIP client that's been built in to Android for years. All they have to do is take a modern Qualcomm reference platform, remove the cellular components, add PoE, and attach it to a handset with a dialpad in a way that doesn't look idiotic. It shouldn't be such a challenge.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That there are now actual, wired telephones running android is a pretty great part of that story. Clearly I'm late to that party.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

I do telephony stuff for a living and... the more advanced an IP phone is, the shittier it is going to be. You do not want the fancy-rear end latest-model IP phone, those are hacked-together poo poo piled on top of a rebranded android tablet that comes with a 500% markup but without a battery. You want a basic-rear end model or a plain digital phone that actually just works.

I work with a lot of Avaya stuff, and their plain 9508 digital phones and 9608 IP phones are absolutely great. Their new supposedly cutting-edge stuff like the Vantage phones is complete poo poo and a pain in the rear end to configure too.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

CitizenKain posted:

Its not Avaya is it? We are testing a Avaya Vantage phone now and its a huge pile of poo poo.

lol is it ever. :hfive:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My first payslip of the year and I find out that I've apparently spent eighty hours of vacation time at work doing work :thumbsup:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ghostlight posted:

My first payslip of the year and I find out that I've apparently spent eighty hours of vacation time at work doing work :thumbsup:

Did you forget to submit all your time sheets or what?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Entropic posted:

I do telephony stuff for a living and... the more advanced an IP phone is, the shittier it is going to be. You do not want the fancy-rear end latest-model IP phone, those are hacked-together poo poo piled on top of a rebranded android tablet that comes with a 500% markup but without a battery. You want a basic-rear end model or a plain digital phone that actually just works.

I work with a lot of Avaya stuff, and their plain 9508 digital phones and 9608 IP phones are absolutely great. Their new supposedly cutting-edge stuff like the Vantage phones is complete poo poo and a pain in the rear end to configure too.

We had to roll out temporary 9608s to the locations that needed the video phones. As they needed to migrate to our voip system, and as far as I know, no one is really missing their old video phones. Really the only downside to the 9608s is they don't support bluetooth, if they did that, none of the users would have much to complain about.
The only real downside is how fragile the network ports our, apparently our help desk figured that unplugging the phone is a first step to take in phone troubleshooting. If you don't pull the cord out straight, you can break something on the connector.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Entropic posted:

Did you forget to submit all your time sheets or what?
No they were all submitted, it just defaulted to the last used code and I hadn't been checking what code I was filing under because I only ever file under one code and neither my manager or timesheet supervisor had thought it might be a mistake that I was charging everything to vacation while also being in the office and dealing with them daily.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I was talking about the Vantage handsets. Complete poo poo.

In other news, yesterday I spoke with some Azure ‘consultants’ that wanted to use 172.168.0.0/16 as a private vnet subnet :munch:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

In other news, yesterday I spoke with some Azure ‘consultants’ that wanted to use 172.168.0.0/16 as a private vnet subnet :munch:

You can use anything as a private network if you want.

:getin:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

No they were all submitted, it just defaulted to the last used code and I hadn't been checking what code I was filing under because I only ever file under one code and neither my manager or timesheet supervisor had thought it might be a mistake that I was charging everything to vacation while also being in the office and dealing with them daily.

Sounds like a trivial problem to fix.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A ticket came in:

customer posted:

upload down ios image in the cmc

That's all the info I got. So yeah, let me get right on that.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

Methanar posted:

You can use anything as a private network if you want.

:getin:

One of our offices uses a public range owned by North Korea, or Iran or Cuba or something. The guy working in that office got fired and fixing that has been on the new guy's todo list for a while. I asked him to move it up when I saw the articles about Slack banning people who had ever connected from embargoed countries.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Lady had filed a ticket asking for some handholding with a software thing. I helped her, asked her to follow up with any questions. 3 weeks later she calls my cell while I'm teaching a class--I ask if I can call her later and she agrees. I catch her just as she's leaving for the day, and we agree to talk the next morning. At 8:30, I get her on the phone and politely tell her 1) we have lots of nice user-friendly documentation that answers her exact questions, 2) I can help for a bit but I have a 9am meeting and am booked the rest of the day. She asks how she can receive further assistance and I ask her to file a new ticket.

At precisely 9:50 she files a new ticket, and at 9:51 she sends my boss an email saying "I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR HELP FOR DAYS AND NOBODY HAS REACHED OUT TO ME. THIS IS URGENT [the stuff she needs is for April] AND I AM VERY FRUSTRATED."

Happy ending: after the dust all settles and my boss gives me poo poo for asking if I can call this lady next week "in front of a VP [of a different department who told me later that she didn't want to be involved in the conversation anyway]", crazy lady sends an email to my boss:

quote:

I just got off the phone with Macaroni!
He was SO helpful and PLEASANT to talk with! He is a very good teacher!

I appreciate all his time, effort and sending me the job aids. You are lucky to have him on your team !!
Ok. I guess.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I asked him to move it up when I saw the articles about Slack banning people who had ever connected from embargoed countries.
"Why weren't you on the Slack meeting? What do you mean you got a subpoena from DHS and Slack is warning you that you should contact the State Department?"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

incoherent posted:

I have this model and 5ghz has some major fuckery in the current live firmware I had to go back two versions.

Well, at least I know it's not (totally) due to my incompetence.

What version are you currently running? And is it straightforward to back-level it, or does it require fuckery?

Edit: backdated to x.52 and all of my DNS-related poo poo is working fine. I think I'll stick around here for a while.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 25, 2019

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Helpdesk: ****URGENT**** computer: keeps spinning even after reboot... NEEDS PC TO WORK, PLZ RESPOND ASAP

me: *keeps watching nature documentaries on youtube*

Helpdesk, twenty minutes later: never mind

helpdesk as gently caress

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Edit: backdated to x.52 and all of my DNS-related poo poo is working fine. I think I'll stick around here for a while.

Glad it could help. I only found out about this DEEP into a netgear forum thread dated from december. HW is reliable, but man gently caress netgear firmware and I get why there is a fan firmware now.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

incoherent posted:

Glad it could help. I only found out about this DEEP into a netgear forum thread dated from december. HW is reliable, but man gently caress netgear firmware and I get why there is a fan firmware now.

Yeah, I'm still considering going to DD-WRT, mainly because of familiarity and control (I want to set an internal DNS server in the DHCP config, but I can only configure the ranges, for example).

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

Yeah, I'm still considering going to DD-WRT, mainly because of familiarity and control (I want to set an internal DNS server in the DHCP config, but I can only configure the ranges, for example).

OpenWRT is probably a better bet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Javid posted:

That there are now actual, wired telephones running android is a pretty great part of that story. Clearly I'm late to that party.

https://www.ui.com/unifi-voip/uvp/

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sticking with our Cisco 7942's, thanks.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ticket came in: someone sideloaded bittorrent client onto our phones.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

they should just have a dock for my mobile.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

This just reminds me of

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

nominal posted:

Helpdesk: ****URGENT**** computer: keeps spinning even after reboot... NEEDS PC TO WORK, PLZ RESPOND ASAP

Helpdesk, twenty minutes later: never mind

helpdesk as gently caress

If you ignore a problem long enough, it ceases to be a problem.
Either it fixes itself, or it became a different problem(which you can then ignore)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The 'shouldn't exist' part is correct. I don't think Ubiquiti have ever had those phones working, and still don't know what their plans are. Reading their forums there are people who seem to not accept that something can exist unless it's made by Ubiquiti so you get weird requests for them to bring out their own range of UPSes.

Johnny Aztec posted:

If you ignore a problem long enough, it ceases to be a problem.
Either it fixes itself, or it became a different problem(which you can then ignore)

I do this with colleagues who are a bit too quick to ask for help, and do it a bit too often. Just wait half an hour before getting back to their email and often there's a follow-up message about having fixed the problem that arrives in the meantime.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

The 'shouldn't exist' part is correct. I don't think Ubiquiti have ever had those phones working, and still don't know what their plans are.
They technically "work" fine as far as what they claim in their sales materials, I have the exact model pictured in my inventory somewhere and used it as a primary phone for a week when it showed up, but they definitely had more ambitious plans for their own PBX platform and the whole VoIP line which have gone absolutely nowhere.

Initially you had to configure them through their controller software, more recently they've added support for TFTPing a config based on option 66, but the config file format is as lovely as Grandstream's.

quote:

Reading their forums there are people who seem to not accept that something can exist unless it's made by Ubiquiti so you get weird requests for them to bring out their own range of UPSes.
The weirdest request I've seen so far is for a doorbell. Not a video doorbell integrating with the UniFi Video line, at least that'd make sense, but a plain button with a speaker somewhere else, connected over WiFi for some reason.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

wolrah posted:

They technically "work" fine as far as what they claim in their sales materials, I have the exact model pictured in my inventory somewhere and used it as a primary phone for a week when it showed up, but they definitely had more ambitious plans for their own PBX platform and the whole VoIP line which have gone absolutely nowhere.

Initially you had to configure them through their controller software, more recently they've added support for TFTPing a config based on option 66, but the config file format is as lovely as Grandstream's.

The weirdest request I've seen so far is for a doorbell. Not a video doorbell integrating with the UniFi Video line, at least that'd make sense, but a plain button with a speaker somewhere else, connected over WiFi for some reason.

ugh grandstream config files are the worst. it's just 10,000 lines of options that shouldn't exist, but if you change one it could very well gently caress absolutely everything.