Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

Pretty quickly realised that the cable for this one doesn't go upwards, but sideways.
EVERY. PROJECT. E V E R .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Is it standard for lights not to be installed in in-wall boxes in the uk?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Slugworth posted:

Is it standard for lights not to be installed in in-wall boxes in the uk?

To my knowledge, yep. In-ceiling spotlights get a fire-protection thinger but all wall lights I've seen are hooked in direct with the cable hanging out.

Also goodness me, 20 pages of this thread.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 21, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

To be fair, they're mounting them in plaster over brick (largely fire resistant), as opposed to drywall over kindling, as is standard in the US.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Quick one today since I had to take a quick evening shift at work.

Put the skim filler on the two channels. Theoretically you're not supposed to overfill with this stuff but a) my knives weren't clean enough b) the wall wasn't smooth enough, and c) I bought this stuff over a year ago and it was half clogged inside. I'll go back over with a sharp chisel to remove the excess later.

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, they're mounting them in plaster over brick (largely fire resistant), as opposed to drywall over kindling, as is standard in the US.

It's certainly true in this case, though it is still plasterboard over brick on that wall. We do sometimes have stud walls, and I'm not sure whether boxes get used there.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Jaded Burnout posted:

Quick one today since I had to take a quick evening shift at work.

Put the skim filler on the two channels. Theoretically you're not supposed to overfill with this stuff but a) my knives weren't clean enough b) the wall wasn't smooth enough, and c) I bought this stuff over a year ago and it was half clogged inside. I'll go back over with a sharp chisel to remove the excess later.

It's certainly true in this case, though it is still plasterboard over brick on that wall. We do sometimes have stud walls, and I'm not sure whether boxes get used there.

You've made yourself extra work by using poo poo filler. Next time just chuck it out and go buy some fresh stuff from screwfix. You should have been able to fill that with hardly any finishing required.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

You've made yourself extra work by using poo poo filler. Next time just chuck it out and go buy some fresh stuff from screwfix. You should have been able to fill that with hardly any finishing required.

:shrug:

It's extra work but while I'm getting my putty legs back it's work I can control the finish of more accurately. I already planned to do it this way before I found out the filler was going off, which itself wasn't apparent until half way through.

I've already ordered a new tube so we'll see how the next ones go.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Got my chisel nice and sharp and skimmed off the excess on the wall. The OAP filler protested a little so there's some pitting for me to go over when the fresh tube arrives.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm going to have to accept that I'm just not good at filling in, even with fresh filler.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm going to have to accept that I'm just not good at filling in, even with fresh filler.

what do your knives look like?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

what do your knives look like?

One each of these, give or take

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-35mm-putty-knife/174725_BQ.prd
https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-2-5-filling-knife/258876_BQ.prd

schmug
May 20, 2007

No, I meant currently. I can't stress enough how much a clean blade helps. You mentioned "my knives weren't clean enough" earlier is why I was asking.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

No, I meant currently. I can't stress enough how much a clean blade helps. You mentioned "my knives weren't clean enough" earlier is why I was asking.

Oh right yah. I thoroughly cleaned them before and after today's session. Maybe I need to smooth them off a little? The main issue I get is that pulling them across the material starts to leave tracks if I don't push down hard, and eventually it gets overworked and starts setting, and pulling away from the wall.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 24, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You need more practice is all. Kick a few more holes in your walls so you can get some more. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You need a little more practice to know better than to do any sort of mudding or plaster work on your own again. God I hate it so much.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've done all my own plastering, just the joints and screw heads or whatever you call it and it looks, I dunno, whatever passable.

But I've also fitted wall up/down lighters and as soon as you turn them on it looks like time team's called in geo vis to a field in Kent that unexpectedly used to be an atlantean temple burial ground.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Dave posted:

You need a little more practice to know better than to do any sort of mudding or plaster work on your own again. God I hate it so much.

The Dave is a Wise Dave. gently caress plastering, by the time I'd get it acceptable it would be more than worth my time to pay a professional and buy a six pack of something to relax with.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m not doing the plastering, I know better than that, this is just filling in, a “decorator’s job”. It’s exactly the sort of fiddly work that jacks quotes up sky high.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Oh right yah. I thoroughly cleaned them before and after today's session. Maybe I need to smooth them off a little? The main issue I get is that pulling them across the material starts to leave tracks if I don't push down hard, and eventually it gets overworked and starts setting, and pulling away from the wall.

Sounds like you have it figured out.
a.) Don't over work it.
b.) Always go light and add another coat if needed because gently caress sanding.
c.) The crap(plaster chunks) from the the spot your're plastering can get on your knife and cause those "tracks"; see: a.)

d.) whenever possible:

The Dave posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

The Dave is a Wise Dave. gently caress plastering, by the time I'd get it acceptable it would be more than worth my time to pay a professional and buy a six pack of something to relax with.

All that said, place is really coming along. Just a little bunch more time and money and you'll be done ready to find something else that needs to be done!

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Personally I just use sandpaper to smooth off bits I've filled in that end up a bit rough.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Ebola Dog posted:

Personally I just use sandpaper to smooth off bits I've filled in that end up a bit rough.

lmao. look at this n00b

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The whole wall (and every wall) will be getting a once-over with a random orbital sander prior to painting, but yah I guess I just need more practice (and I'm gonna get it, I've got a whole house to do) and maybe keep a cloth on hand to wipe off the knife. Do you use water?

schmug
May 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

The whole wall (and every wall) will be getting a once-over with a random orbital sander prior to painting, but yah I guess I just need more practice (and I'm gonna get it, I've got a whole house to do) and maybe keep a cloth on hand to wipe off the knife. Do you use water?

Most definitely use water and a rag to keep the knife clean as needed. Don't need to get carried away, just keep a bucket with some water nearby for when your knife starts getting gritty. I'd also look into wet sanding with a sponge instead of an orbital unless you have great dust collection. gently caress sanding.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Cover that poo poo w wallpaper imo

schmug
May 20, 2007

peanut posted:

Cover that poo poo w wallpaper imo

That is a very British option, and I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but regardless, you are dead to me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

schmug posted:

I'd also look into wet sanding with a sponge instead of an orbital unless you have great dust collection. gently caress sanding.

I have a workshop dust collector for exactly this.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

As previously mentioned, the walls in my 50's house are hosed and I have done a LOT of fillering in my time here!

Are you using the ready mixed plaster filler stuff here? If you want to make it much easier and leave a perfect finish then use that to fill the bulk of the hole, then use the nice easy DIY fine surface filler to go over the top of it. eg - https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-fine-surface-filler-white-600g/71551

If you have a big hole fill it with the plaster/skim filler first and leave that with any surface you like as long as its a couple of mm below the final surface height. Let it dry and then hit it with fine surface filler.
Use your big flat ended scraper for the fine filler. Don't worry about getting it perfect and end up over working it - you can always sand it down or add a small second helping to fill and scratches.

Go buy some rolls of the cheap aluminium oxide sandpaper - https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-oxide-sanding-roll-unpunched-115mm-x-5m-120-grit/38512 I think I have 80, 120 and 240.

Hit the fine surface filler with that wrapped round a block. Do a second helping if required.

If you are having trouble with your filler pulling away from the edges of your hole then hit the hole it with a little bit of watered down PVA first

Ebola Dog posted:

Doesn't every non-professional doing any work trying to get a fall flat use sandpaper?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

schmug posted:

That is a very British option, and I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but regardless, you are dead to me.

Wallpaper (can be) cool and good 〜〜〜 some texture would cover those filly lumps easily.
But don't diy wallpaper. It looks so frustrating.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tomarse posted:

As previously mentioned, the walls in my 50's house are hosed and I have done a LOT of fillering in my time here!

Are you using the ready mixed plaster filler stuff here? If you want to make it much easier and leave a perfect finish then use that to fill the bulk of the hole, then use the nice easy DIY fine surface filler to go over the top of it. eg - https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-fine-surface-filler-white-600g/71551

If you have a big hole fill it with the plaster/skim filler first and leave that with any surface you like as long as its a couple of mm below the final surface height. Let it dry and then hit it with fine surface filler.
Use your big flat ended scraper for the fine filler. Don't worry about getting it perfect and end up over working it - you can always sand it down or add a small second helping to fill and scratches.

Go buy some rolls of the cheap aluminium oxide sandpaper - https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-oxide-sanding-roll-unpunched-115mm-x-5m-120-grit/38512 I think I have 80, 120 and 240.

Hit the fine surface filler with that wrapped round a block. Do a second helping if required.

If you are having trouble with your filler pulling away from the edges of your hole then hit the hole it with a little bit of watered down PVA first

Doesn't every non-professional doing any work trying to get a fall flat use sandpaper?

I'm using polyfilla 2mm fine filler

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

peanut posted:

Wallpaper (can be) cool and good 〜〜〜 some texture would cover those filly lumps easily.
But don't diy wallpaper. It looks so frustrating.

I've done DIY wallpaper, it's not hard, that included pattern matching and lumpy walls.

I'm not voluntarily putting it on the nice flat walls in my new house though.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There's a couple of rooms I might put wallpaper in; it's p much the best option if you want anything other than block colours and clean lines.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

or glow-in-the dark dinosaurs.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m not doing the plastering, I know better than that, this is just filling in, a “decorator’s job”. It’s exactly the sort of fiddly work that jacks quotes up sky high.

Haha yep, decorating costs are directly proportional to how much of a ballache the job is. Woodwork, filling in etc. adds massively because it's such a poo poo job. Source: me getting done for a chunk of money largely based on how much of a pain in the rear end the work was rather than any technical difficulty (except for rebuilding some alcove shelves and cupboard because carpenters are expensive).

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

peanut posted:

or glow-in-the dark dinosaurs.

Can I introduce you to the delayed delights of shopping on AliExpress?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Can I introduce you to the delayed delights of shopping on AliExpress?

Might actually be quicker to japan

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You moved the house to Japan? Come on, we talked about scope creep...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

You moved the house to Japan? Come on, we talked about scope creep...

peanut is in japan

the only thing japanese about my house is a kitchen with more knives than food heating devices

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yes packages from China arrive quick here because it's close and post/customs is efficient.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My house flipper neighbour has built up the fence that fell down under the previous owner's reign, which makes me happy. I have the "bad side" of the fence which is fine by me on account of: free fence.

He's also built it slightly on his side of the existing fence line which was already just on his property, so now I have some concrete posts to remove and dispose of but in exchange he's effectively gifted me a small slice of land. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

More land to pile old clothes!!!