Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i think most of us never actually get over the first characters we came up with in high school, most webcomicniks just don't admit to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

why did none of you fuckers tell me about Scoob and Shag

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Dabir posted:

This is art.

pikachode posted:

i think most of us never actually get over the first characters we came up with in high school, most webcomicniks just don't admit to it
All my first ORIGINAL CHARACTER DONUT STEELs were boys, so they're dead to me. My first girl OCs, though, yeah. I'm still a little sentimental about them, so I can only imagine what I'd be like if other people had liked them too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pikachode posted:

That's not true, David Willis practically brags about it! :v:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

That's not true, David Willis practically brags about it! :v:

Nah, those are characters he came up with in elementary school. Totally different.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Walky is David Willis in brown face. That always got a laugh out of me.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Dabir posted:

It's amazing how this transitions so seamlessly from the dumbest internet shock humour into a loving pastiche of shonen manga played almost 100% straight. This is wonderful in a way that I don't usualy find these 'all your favorite cartoons, but horribly violent and they smoke weed' type of things.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dabir posted:

so is this dude ripping off Crow Cillers without the gay stuff or is 'nihilistic saturday morning cartoon characters trapped in a dream-logic horror house' just its own genre now

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 25, 2019

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Dabir posted:

Dear lord, this feels like Tails got Trolled.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Oh hey it's the CYELATM peeps in ep 42

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whats up everybody i live once more and im here to bring you the latest in webcomic developments i find interesting,

like paranatural still being good

over in never satisfied, lucy apparently isnt supposed to be able to do this!
somehow this manages to answer nothing while opening up new questions. never change corny :allears:

(i think somethings weird w the hand positions between pages 2 and 3 here but its still a sick composition)

honestly thats a super pretty first page there

a ghost story debuts one of its most ghosthavingest pages yet. eat poo poo jed lmao

and finally over in gunnerkrigg court im sure everythings fine (im sure everythings fine)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I swear Parley is getting bigger every time she appears. She's turning into a meat mountain and I love it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gunnerkrigg's so loving dull and I'm not 100% sure it ever wasn't

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Mordja posted:

The pacing is super slow, which made the whole Loup thing stand out as a weird jump. Honestly I preferred it slow; also if the borderline abusive behavior by Dad Carver gets chalked up to 'he's an awkward person' and that's not really dealt with I'm gonna be very disappointed.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Previously, on O Human Star:

Robots fall into a river.

Now, on O Human Star:

https://twitter.com/bluedelliquanti/status/1089902260899856387

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mordja posted:

it was never exactly fast paced but it had a sort of lowkey spooky childrens' novel tone that worked ok, but now it's gotten into what's apparently supposed to be its climax it's become clear the big reveal is just a long slow sad wet fart

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 28, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

General Webcomics Thread For Not Liking Good Things In

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Personally, I like Gunnerkrigg, I just haven't liked this major plot twist/development, in part because of a tonal shift and in part because I think the Carver Sr arc didn't really work out in a way that felt satisfying, and the Loup stuff is getting in the way. If the 'Antimony is doubled' development sets up a confrontation between her wilder and more restrained sides, and maybe deals with her dissociated anger flame-blob, that would be nice... but a weird way to approach it.

But wilder, long-haired Annie has a better relationship with her dad, too - he's apparently just awkward and his terrible behavior towards her has been elided.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

At some point, Gunnerkrigg Court switched over from fantastic mysteries to character drama, and that's kinda sad

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it was never exactly fast paced but it had a sort of lowkey spooky childrens' novel tone that worked ok, but now it's gotten into what's apparently supposed to be its climax it's become clear the big reveal is just a long slow sad wet fart

is it supposed to be the climax? i was under the impression were a ways into act ii

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I was onboard for the dad stuff, the dad stuff was always coming and him being an absolute fuckup she just kind of awkwardly tries and fails to bond with rang much truer than some Harry Potter chosen one poo poo where he has a totally valid reason to ditch his daughter and when he finally shows up they get a heartwarming reunion and pick up like they never left off. The whole comic's been kind of a slow arc from mystery kid adventures to tougher interpersonal stuff as the characters grew, and it seemed like there was some kind of payoff in sight. But yeah, it never really goes anywhere and suddenly it's all put aside for The Loup Show, and there's nothing interesting about Loup.

Tollymain posted:

is it supposed to be the climax? i was under the impression were a ways into act ii

maybe? but a bunch of significant threads had just started to come together and if the whole Loup anime battle thing isn't setting the plot in motion to start resolving quicklike it's a of all: a really jarring and apparently pointless digression that hasn't added anything in a bunch of chapters and b of all: forecasting like 50 more chapters of glacially-paced dithering where the story just sort of... meanders along aimlessly. There's not all that much story left to wring out of the fixings Gunnerkrigg has here, and the conflict driving it got a whole lot less complicated than it was when there were vaguely sympathetic characters outside the Court.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 28, 2019

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Its story was thrown for a loup.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Note that for the last few weeks the Loup story has gone on hold to have Annie confront herself, rather literally. If anything this latest arc is mixing the childhood mystery/personal drama aspects pretty well.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This IS a loup story though, they're dealing with the horrible stupid idiotic situation he's left them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Elephant Parade posted:

At some point, Gunnerkrigg Court switched over from fantastic mysteries to character drama, and that's kinda sad

Around Chapter 2

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

And he's, like, made of the same disassociative split-personality issues Antimony keeps coming back to over and over, it's pretty clear how dealing with him's going to go and that this isn't a separate thing.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I just want her dad to not get off the hook for being a terrible father, but the comic really does seem to be aiming towards 'he's just awkward! You should forgive him for the emotional neglect and the intensely lovely behavior when he did come back, because he's chill now'

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Can anybody tell me the name of a webcomic short story I ran across some years back? It was all in shades of blue and it was a short story about a man who crashed in the mountains and used a zombie as an allegory for cannibalism.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Heart of Ice

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I mean, while I don't disagree with the GC issues posted thus far, does every plot point really need to be resolved in a conclusive and satisfying way to the reader? Using Tony "Is A Bit Of A Tosser" Carver as an example, yeah, he's been loving lovely to his daughter. There's no getting around that. But from Annie's perspective, which the comic has most always been shown from, it doesn't really matter why he's been lovely. All she wants is for him to accept her and be A Dad to. Last chapter, she got that a bit. Sure, it's not a satisfying end of that problem for us, the readers, but holy crap did it mean worlds to her. If he continues in that direction, then as far as Annie's concerned, who gives a poo poo why he did what he did, he's better now.

As for the Loup stuff, this is going on now because Coyote planned it to happen. There's no way he didn't know it would happen this way. Something's going to happen at the end of this, but I don't know if there's enough info right now to figure out what. For now, all we can do is deal with the mess he's made, one problem at a time. The current problem is figuring out the twin Annie situation. No one quite has an answer yet to the issue because no one knows what's up. The characters in the comic haven't had months to mull over every time little detail and nuance that's been presented thus far. They've had, what, about a day? They're trying out ideas and hypotheses as they go and eventually they'll figure it out, like they always do.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

The 'he's just better now, ok' thing is the problem for me: people don't do that. Bad parents don't spontaneously get fixed and never be a problem again, so, if the comic doesn't deal with her father being prone to being incredibly lovely it's either intentionally leaving that ambiguous (which is not the tone right now) or psychologically unrealistic in a particularly frustrating way.

Now, maybe it will return to that issue and deal with it! But, uh, this Loup stuff seems like a substantial distraction.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'm honestly wondering what you expect "deal with her father being lovely" to be. Neither of them has the option of leaving the Court, even before the current arc. They are both broken people, in more than one way. They're both, slowly, trying to deal with themselves, since the story began, and each other, since Tony has been reintroduced. No one has been "cured" or magically got better, it has been, as the entire comic story, unraveling at its own pace, which is often purposely made unclear but not maliciously.

They can't fix him spontaneously and neither send him to "Bad Dad Jail" and call it a day.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Yaaay thank you

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i feel like the donlans have probably ensured anthony and his daughter are seeing therapists lmao

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gunnerkrigg Court had some interesting mysteries, but that only really gets you so far. I was sort of drifting away after things started to get in a rut, and then came the big reveal that Antimony had actually been failing all her classes for years and the audience wasn't even privy to the most important things going on with the viewpoint character, I didn't feel like reading it anymore.

Some comics keep sucking you in because of sunk cost, but once you've missed it for a little while, then it might be more effort than its worth to catch up. I've been clean on El Goonish Shive for a while just because of the effort involved, but I really wanna get back into String Theory.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Bad Dad is relatable, creepy wolf demon cloning you and giving you a quest to get 3 magic artifacts is not. The comic is way more enjoyable when it's about a bunch of dopey kids doing stuff and the supernatural weirdness of the setting is just kind of background flavor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why'd that lady get so big

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Swole buff ladies are the hot new thing for webcomics thank god

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Gunnerkrigg Court had some interesting mysteries, but that only really gets you so far. I was sort of drifting away after things started to get in a rut, and then came the big reveal that Antimony had actually been failing all her classes for years and the audience wasn't even privy to the most important things going on with the viewpoint character, I didn't feel like reading it anymore.

Annie cheating off Kat's work had been shown a couple times before, the reveal was just "the court knew about the whole time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah she wasn't failing until then, she was just heavily copying Kat's work (which we'd seen). The reveal was that the court knew and now she'd have to retake a year. Schoolwork hadn't been a major thing on her mind, it was mystery magic school adventures, and that was part of the whiplash that chapter was trying to evoke with her lovely dad showing up.