Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Don’t use the extra damage air to air missiles on helicopters, they die in one shot with the regular missiles anyway and never evade any shot that has any chance of hitting them.

Yeah but those missiles also can’t target ground targets so in a mission where you need your regular missiles for other things using the big missile on a helicopter is less of a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lordfrikk posted:

The whole genre is literally lifted wholesale from a Japanese movie made in 2000 called... Battle Royale. I don’t see how any of these companies have a leg to stand on here.

That's a pretty liberal use of the term "lifted wholesale". Yeah it was inspired by Battle Royale (the film) but in the end it only shares some broad thematic similarities. That's like saying Halo was lifted wholesale from Aliens.

This part isn't directly in response to your post, but I think what really bugs me about Fortnite and Blackout (and I admit I enjoy Blackout), is that they didn't even really put their own spin on it (some would argue Fortnite's building, but it doesn't change that conceptually it's a total ripoff) . Warts and all, PUBG was pretty original if you take into account that the same guy was responsible for the original mod and H1Z1 BR, with PUBG being the final version of it. And I can respect that, even if the game is jank as hell. Although you can probably credit DAYZ with most of the philosophy behind BR in general. PUBG was sort of like a lighter, more palatable version of DAYZ with a few more rules. PUBG definitely owes a lot to a handful of things.

With Fortnite and COD they just looked and said "hey thing is popular. Let's copy that". Like, everything about the rules in both games is stolen straight from PUBG. Flying over the map, parachuting in, the way the circle shrinks, airdrops full of loot, the approach to map design, the way looting works and gear works... The list goes on. What about any of those things is fundamental to Battle Royale as a concept? Nothing. The whole appeal of BR is pulling the reins off of multiplayer games and throwing a large amount of players on a big map, with all of the emergent gameplay possibilities that come with it. Beyond that core concept, the genre has endless opportunity for different creative approaches. But nope Epic and Treyarch just looked at a thing and went "that thing someone else made is making money. We have more resources than they do and I bet we could take that money for ourselves" and proceeded to make a photocopy of PUBG. It's the laziest, shittiest thing they could have possibly done.

It's kind of like how I love the Souls games and genuinely like to see other games inspired by them, but games like Ashen and Salt and Sanctuary totally rub me the wrong way. Because instead of saying "I like Souls, let's draw inspiration from it". They just ripped off everything about it and the results feel like a knockoff brand. Although these games are the reverse, where it's big companies doing it to the little guy.

Sorry for all the :spergin: :words: I just wanted to explain why these games don't sit well with me. It's like a whole new level of artistic bankruptcy and Treyarch/Epic have received nothing but commercial and critical success from it and it's gross.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 25, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Fortnite’s building mechanic is absolutely a game defining characteristic and the main reason fortnite took off and PUBG didn’t.

You really cannot overstate the importance or impact of the building mechanic on fortnite’s streamability and by extension success.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't the title itself a reference to building forts? Maybe at night?

I decided to give it a try last night while I was waiting for KH3 to become available. It froze up while trying to create an account. I read that that's apparently a common and un-addressed problem. So much for that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am extremely skeptical of the idea that Fortnite took off over others largely because of the building, instead of it being because of the aesthetic and dances and such.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah but those missiles also can’t target ground targets so in a mission where you need your regular missiles for other things using the big missile on a helicopter is less of a waste.

You’d be better off with something like 4AAMs for that though, wouldn’t you? Can kill helicopters, clear the drone spam, and way more ammo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Fortnite’s building mechanic is absolutely a game defining characteristic and the main reason fortnite took off and PUBG didn’t.

You really cannot overstate the importance or impact of the building mechanic on fortnite’s streamability and by extension success.

Lol, how did PUBG not take off? it was the biggest game in the world for a year.

I know what you are trying to say though, and I'm not claiming that The building stuff isn't integral to it's success. The building is a byproduct of the game that Fortnite originally was. The actual implementation of BR was a straight rip of PUBG. The building being transformative is circumstantial. Epic could have done anything with a Fortnight Battle Royale mode, but they chose to stick Fortnite into PUBG because they are completely uncreative.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Lol, how did PUBG not take off? it was the biggest game in the world for a year.

I know what you are saying though, and I'm not claiming that The building stuff isn't integral to it's success. The building is a byproduct of the game tht Fortnite originally was. The actual implementation of BR was a straight rip of PUBG. The building being transformative is circumstantial. Epic could have done anything with Fortnight Battle Royale but they chose to stick Fortnite into PUBG because they are completely uncreative.

It cost money, had an older pc gamer following, had no style, botched its console launch, and sucked at developing a content pipeline

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

It's a part of it maybe, but I think it's more incidental. The artstyle and tone of it is a bigger reason, PUBG looks and plays like a disgusting milsim, and is buried by the weight of it's ARMA roots. Fortnite is faster paced, encounters have a longer TTK, has more interesting weapons and equipment. They also have a tendency to majorly gently caress the game up in a big way every couple of months that keep people interested in it.

Anecdotal, but talking to kids I know of Fortnite age, none of their group engages much in the building. At least until creative mode came out.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Not an economist, but Fortnite being free might have something to do with its popularity over other games. Just spitballing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

acksplode posted:

Not an economist, but Fortnite being free might have something to do with its popularity over other games. Just spitballing
Yeah sure but I don't think that's enough to account for how massive it is. There are lots of f2p games that are not Fortnite, like the phone version of PUBG

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fortnite is free, runs well (and runs on pretty much everything) and doesn't look like poo poo. PUBG is still huge and maybe now they're over their tantrum about being the second biggest Battle Royale and can enjoy the giant pile of money they have.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Yeah sure but I don't think that's enough to account for how massive it is. There are lots of f2p games that are not Fortnite, like the phone version of PUBG

Of course it being free isn't the sole reason it's popular, but it's exactly why it's massive. It is the accelerant without which there would be no great fire. Fortnite uses the same model as a lot of other non-gaming mass-market social software: give it away now, drive growth by making it available on every platform and getting people to socialize over it, and then monetize it afterward. Battle royale makes for great streaming, and Fortnite is the only battle royale game that you can watch your favorite streamer play and then immediately download it to whatever device you're using to watch streams for zero dollars. This especially explains why it's so popular with kids, who don't have a bunch of money to spend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hey y’all REmake2 is out in 3 hours. I won’t be buying it right away but I can’t wait to hear about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

It cost money, had an older pc gamer following, had no style, botched its console launch, and sucked at developing a content pipeline

I meant that it did take off. It was goddamn huge for all of 2017. But yeah they got beat in the end. probably mostly due to incompetence. The console ports are inexcusably bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Fortnite is free, runs well (and runs on pretty much everything) and doesn't look like poo poo. PUBG is still huge and maybe now they're over their tantrum about being the second biggest Battle Royale and can enjoy the giant pile of money they have.

Yeah, Fortnite being able to get a stable framerate and cut down on hackers also helped.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The defining factor is that Fortnite has a real name

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

They just need to start calling it Poo Bug. Problem solved.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Whooooooooooo

Somehow had like 90 seconds and 5 missiles left this time. Got a little more work done with the guns but still not much, just made sure to save 20+ missiles for the drones and head west earlier so I could hit that base before/after dealing with them, guess that was the difference.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I misread the thread title and thought Kingdom Hearts 3 had a sex scene.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

I misread the thread title and thought Kingdom Hearts 3 had a sex scene.
I'm sure it will have one or more mysterious cutscenes that could be interpreted that way.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Fortnite is free, runs well (and runs on pretty much everything) and doesn't look like poo poo.

it looks like poo poo :eng101:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Whooooooooooo

Somehow had like 90 seconds and 5 missiles left this time. Got a little more work done with the guns but still not much, just made sure to save 20+ missiles for the drones and head west earlier so I could hit that base before/after dealing with them, guess that was the difference.

The smoke will mark their graves!
Thats poetic, mad dog!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Anyone else get an email from Playstation with a bunch of your gaming stats for 2018 in?

Apparently overall I played 42 games for 937 hours, of which Bloodborne was 88 of them. Only a maximum of 4 hours in one sitting though.

It even has a breakdown of hours played and trophies earned for each month. Pretty neat info. I wish we could see this kind of stuff on demand though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

it looks like poo poo :eng101:

Please go into detail?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll go for generic cartoony over generic military sim any day personally

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I see the appeal but I don't care for the monkey cheese aesthetic.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hey y’all REmake2 is out in 3 hours. I won’t be buying it right away but I can’t wait to hear about it.

Same.

I'm going to finish RE4 first

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Please go into detail?

*endless parade of smirking dreamworks rejects in steampunk gear or whatever the gently caress*

Fortnite does have the advantage over PUBG of having an identifiable visual style, but that style is butt.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I have no interest in Fortnite but the whole idea of disliking a game because it copies another game is extremely weird since its been happening since the beginning of game design. Not being able to copyright game mechanics is a good thing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Please go into detail?

It looks like it was masticated, digested, and subsequently defecated into an available latrine.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't hate that it's cartoony but I hate the style they used. It's like, semi realistic characters and usual video game gun violence, then everything else looks like wacky rear end looney tunes poo poo. It's so hideous.

Rad Valtar posted:

I have no interest in Fortnite but the whole idea of disliking a game because it copies another game is extremely weird since its been happening since the beginning of game design. Not being able to copyright game mechanics is a good thing.

I don't think you are wrong on the second 2 parts, and I'm not arguing that it should be legally protected or anything. But there is a certain level of plagiarism for profit that is just gross to me.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 25, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love the aesthetic of Fortnite and wanted to get into it because of that but I don’t like the gameplay. It’s such a clean bright game when you’re playing it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
It's fun but my husband played a lot more than me. It kept me entertained for a good 2 weeks or so

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It looks like it was masticated, digested, and subsequently defecated into an available latrine.

So no answer then.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Spalec posted:

Anyone else get an email from Playstation with a bunch of your gaming stats for 2018 in?

Apparently overall I played 42 games for 937 hours, of which Bloodborne was 88 of them. Only a maximum of 4 hours in one sitting though.

It even has a breakdown of hours played and trophies earned for each month. Pretty neat info. I wish we could see this kind of stuff on demand though.

I think I did back in December and it basically just told me I played a shitload of FF14 haha

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

Remember when everyone called FPS’s Doom Clones?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So no answer then.

This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick! This game is as appealing as a loving ooze-infested dirty loving sewer rat poo poo! I've had more fun playing with dog turds! It sucking fucks, it loving sucks, IT loving BLOWS, IT'S A PIECE OF poo poo... and I don't like it.

I mean, what else could possibly need to be said beyond that? It covers every avenue of criticizing an aesthetic that you'd need.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I think it's fair to say Battlegrounds didn't get the glory stolen from them. They had success, recognition, streamer views even though the average round is fifteen minutes of nothing and then someone shoots you in the back... They had their shot. They botched their console launch, which ran so badly Bethesda would have been ashamed. They got outdone by Fortnite's lighter aesthetic and added elements to the game like building and more importantly dancing. Then they got outdone in their dry military shootmans image by Call Of Duty, who are already pretty much top of that particular kind of game. If they'd continued to do things to make the game interesting they might have kept it up, but they just let everyone else beat them with their own ideas.

Which reminds me, there was a dumb parody Steam game I saw clips of called something like Totally Accurate Battle Simulator which was basically a dumb half-arsed silly PUBG, hell maybe even quarter-arsed, but their version of the shrinking ring was an actual physical wall that would slowly build itself over thirty seconds or so. If you were about to be shut out you'd have to find a shrinking gap in the wall before it closed. It was a neat twist, in a game that refused to consider taking itself seriously, and of course as we all know innovation only happens when people don't give a poo poo and just do something because it seems funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Most people who say they don't like Fortnite have never actually played it and hate popular things.