Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

It's a good colour. I got my smartphone settings sorted out and got a better picture, so you can see Baharroth Blue and the other 7 of the edge colours in their true pastel glory.

I really want to paint up a Pastel model now. Not the beefcake though, I don't want to copy yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

richyp posted:

It's a good colour. I got my smartphone settings sorted out and got a better picture, so you can see Baharroth Blue and the other 7 of the edge colours in their true pastel glory.

That’s .... loving radical. Yeah, that’s the proper adjective.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-post, just finished reworking my Primaris Uriel Ventris to fix a bunch of stuff that was bugging me about him. I re-based him and re-painted the power sword to keep him more consistent with the rest of the army, gave him a banner that didn't defy physics by swooshing in the opposite direction to his cape, and gave him a suitable bare head instead of the kinda dull helmet. I think he came out much better.

Before:

After:

With best bud Pasanius:

Primarch, Chapter Master and 4th Co. Captain:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Another five boyz done! That makes a total of... ten. Only 110 to go!

I'm pretty happy with them, though. I finished them much faster than the first five, and I think they turned out better (not just because I actually based them). Hopefully I gain even more speed as I go along.

I plan on working on my warboss and painboy next before hitting some more boyz. If I can get 1000 points by my birthday in late July, I'll probably make a Forge World order. Not sure exactly what I'll get, but I'm definitely going to treat myself.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Figured I owed you guys pictures after pestering you with questions. Also that's a lie, I just want to show these to people.

First thing I ever painted, Space Marine at GW's PAX Unplugged booth:

The color selection at the booth was limited and they didn't have any red or white, so I made do with his helmet (I decided he is somehow a fancy lad and that's why he got gold) and the chapter symbol, and they had nothing remotely paper-y so I improvised like hell on the oath paper with black over flesh and I think it came out pretty okay. That picture of his back isn't great and it's hard to tell, but I did detail work on all of his jetpack exhausts that I'm proud of (I painted them black) and there's a weird splotch on his back left shoulder where I think the ink wash was pooled up and I didn't notice. I'm very proud of picking out the winged skull on his gun in gold like that, it wasn't easy!

Second thing I ever painted, first thing at home, a Bone Monster:

He's over-washed, I can tell. I got the Games Workshop stuff, and apparently just putting it on my brush straight from the pot is not the right thing to do because it clearly needed to be watered down. Washing him was a pain in general because he's so pointy and bumpy everywhere, the ink kept clumping up. So, yeah, over-washed (it doesn't come across perfectly but his ribcage is just shiny black instead of outlining the ribs), but I still think he looks pretty cool? What did I do wrong with the stupid wash, though, just failure to water it down? And why do they come in those stupid pots instead of a dropper bottle if I've got to take some out and mix it before using?

I am working on a Human Cleric now, who is way more complicated than anything else I've done before because he wears pants, greaves over the pants, a chainmail shirt, a cloak, a scarf, and then has flesh on his hands and face, then hair, then also has a mace, and they all have to be different colors, and then there's details because he's wearing a belt with pouches attached and a medallion. I have the base stuff done except for the scarf, face, hair, hands, and mace, and I think he looks great so far. No pictures yet.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Don't be so hard on yourself, dude, those are fine first models!

A lot of getting better is learning about how your different paints and tools behave. Darker washes will result in a dirty look when applied over a light color. Acrylic washes also tend to pool, which can result in tide marks. GW washes by design clump together more than other brands because their style is for you to glob them onto everything, both acting as a filter and as a shade for your recesses. If you want to use a wash as a filter (IE: to tint/change the color underneath) then you need to make sure it's thin and leaves no tide marks. Acylics aren't great at that, but you can still get good results by mixing in some gloss varnish into them, applying over a gloss undercoat, or just being super careful. If you want to use washes to shade your recesses, you need to target the areas you want darker and only apply the wash onto that area.

Obviously its way easier to just wash your entire model and be done with it. Nothing wrong with that either! This is art at the end of the day, so there is no wrong way to approach anything. Just different end results. Keep at it, keep trying things, and find something you enjoy doing that also makes you feel good about it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I can report that VMC RLM23 is NOT the same af VMA RLM23. Not at all. Not by a long shot.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

If I want to make an oil wash that's closest in color to seraphim sepia, what color should I pick up? Actual sepia seems much darker

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Burnt umber

If its too dark mix it with ochre

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Chipping is so drat fun to play with.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CapnAndy posted:

He's over-washed, I can tell. I got the Games Workshop stuff, and apparently just putting it on my brush straight from the pot is not the right thing to do because it clearly needed to be watered down. Washing him was a pain in general because he's so pointy and bumpy everywhere, the ink kept clumping up. So, yeah, over-washed (it doesn't come across perfectly but his ribcage is just shiny black instead of outlining the ribs), but I still think he looks pretty cool? What did I do wrong with the stupid wash, though, just failure to water it down? And why do they come in those stupid pots instead of a dropper bottle if I've got to take some out and mix it before using?

I am working on a Human Cleric now, who is way more complicated than anything else I've done before because he wears pants, greaves over the pants, a chainmail shirt, a cloak, a scarf, and then has flesh on his hands and face, then hair, then also has a mace, and they all have to be different colors, and then there's details because he's wearing a belt with pouches attached and a medallion. I have the base stuff done except for the scarf, face, hair, hands, and mace, and I think he looks great so far. No pictures yet.

I don't think the wash is the problem. That's a D&D mini, right? I paint them too and one of the problems with them is that they're more detailed than the material and sprayed on primer can really handle. Washes help bring out detail and that's great if you have a GW figure or some other hard plastic dude with high quality control. Throw sepia wash on a good white painted skeleton and you'll have a tabletop ready figure. Do it on a D&D mini with lumps and bumps and overly detailed collections of stuff on its hip and you end up highlighting those imperfections instead and your washes will pool in areas a better sculptor/manufacturer would never have let exist.

I still paint reaper bones and D&D minis but I've learned I can't let washes carry me the way I could on a better figure. I apply very small amounts of wash to specific areas at times (e.g. dulling metalics) but for the most part I do my own shades and highlights because it's the only way to guide the eye away from the imperfections. I find the same thing is true with dry brushing. The cheaper the mini, the less you can get away with the easy techniques.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Any tips for moving on to new units after finishing a model you're super unhappy with? I was excited to work through the Blackstone Fortress box, but I'm not happy with how my Asuryani Ranger came out. I'm going to put the rest of Blackstone Fortress on the backburner a bit, and I think try to churn through my Chainrasp Horde and Skitarii. Troops seem like a good place to focus on improving some painting skills. I want to get better at thinning my paints, avoiding whites (the ones I have go on too thick and spotchy, and I have no idea what to wash them with, nuln oil was a very bad idea), and slowly figure out how to do faces and eyes. I had been so proud of my Spirit Hosts and Glaivewraith Stalkers, so I had felt I was ready to tackle a fancy model.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Everything that's not black or silver was done tonight. Good enough for tomorrow's Kill Team tournament.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I stumbled onto a form of chipping when I forgot to seal a model I’d airbrushed with glazes over chrome, then applied microsol for some decals. Brushed the top layer right off.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I put a thick layer of a Tamiya Smoke over a rock golem and I think it went on too thick. It just look kinda...wet in places

Is there any way to make something less glossy without filling in between all the rocky texture bits individually with a matte to make the parts I like pop?

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring

DJ Dizzy posted:

I can report that VMC RLM23 is NOT the same af VMA RLM23. Not at all. Not by a long shot.

That sucks, I've had decent luck with spraying VMC colors by diluting them with Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver if that helps, then you don't have to worry about different shades being sprayed vs. brushed.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
VMA RLM23 is the color im after, so no biggie using the airbrush. But correcting mistakes is a pain.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Badablack posted:

I stumbled onto a form of chipping when I forgot to seal a model I’d airbrushed with glazes over chrome, then applied microsol for some decals. Brushed the top layer right off.

this is neat and looks pretty great

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I don't think the wash is the problem. That's a D&D mini, right? I paint them too and one of the problems with them is that they're more detailed than the material and sprayed on primer can really handle. Washes help bring out detail and that's great if you have a GW figure or some other hard plastic dude with high quality control. Throw sepia wash on a good white painted skeleton and you'll have a tabletop ready figure. Do it on a D&D mini with lumps and bumps and overly detailed collections of stuff on its hip and you end up highlighting those imperfections instead and your washes will pool in areas a better sculptor/manufacturer would never have let exist.
It is a Pathfinder Battles mini by WizKids. I checked the packaging. Same issues?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Nolzur/Pathfinder minis are basically the same thing with different branding, yeah.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

I think, in retrospect, the most impressive thing about these is that I did them all with extremely mediocre brushes.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

Thanqol posted:

I think, in retrospect, the most impressive thing about these is that I did them all with extremely mediocre brushes.

That hull paint job is amazing!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Big thumbs up for pretty space elves!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just used Lamenter’s Yellow on a primed-white, flash gitz airbrush, seraphim sepia washed snap fit marine and I’m liking the results. I’ll post after I decide whether or not to add another glaze coat

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Practicing faces while other stuff dries. Always been intimidated by faces, but I'm really happy with what came out. This is the best of the 9 I did, but all came out to my satisfaction

Lamenters Yellow over the other yellows came out a little darker than I was hoping, gonna try white and two coats of straight glaze and see how it looks. Really glad to have like 70 push-fit marines

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Thanqol posted:

Awesome stuff...

I know you answered this like a year ago, but how did you go about doing the opal soulstones?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you want a magic vibrant yellow color use a transparent yellow or orange wash on your yellow paint

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Alokgen posted:

I know you answered this like a year ago, but how did you go about doing the opal soulstones?

All the GW edge paints. I basecoated them in gauss blaster green and then randomly patterned blue horror, fulgrim pink, deschera lilac, dorn yellow, etc. I wet blended them a little but not that much. They're all such similar pastel shades that they play incredibly nicely together. It's very easy to do, just muck around with it, random splodgy organic-esque patterns are what you want so don't think too hard.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cross-postin’, I’m really digging the Typhus Corrosion/Ryza Rust combo for my rusty Necrons.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
How do you do it? Paint on the Typhus, let it dry and then drybrush the rust?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

MasterSlowPoke posted:

How do you do it? Paint on the Typhus, let it dry and then drybrush the rust?

Exactly, I splatter the Typhus where I want and then drybrush the Ryza as heavy/light as needed.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Does anybody know of a good model piece / bit that is basically a circular shield, but some type of elvish / demonish / techno punk ?

Something that would look appropriate with dark eldar Haemonculus covens?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Does anybody know of a good model piece / bit that is basically a circular shield, but some type of elvish / demonish / techno punk ?

Something that would look appropriate with dark eldar Haemonculus covens?

Ruin's buckler ?

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Is there a good, cheap alternative to the GW terrain stuff like Astrogranite? Is it just "PVA some sand, paint it gray"?

I'm going through it at an alarming rate on my AdMech.

You can use a mix of sand, bird cage liner or maybe cat litter from the pet store. I've had this mix of sand / bird stuff since I was 16 (added to over the years):

http://imgur.com/gallery/YrwZw

EDIT: For urban, try basecoating brown and then highlighting grey. You can add a bluish gray such as Dark Reaper or Thunderhawk Blue inbetween if you want to add more color.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

First GW Mini I've painted in about 10 years...

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Xaerael posted:

First GW Mini I've painted in about 10 years...

Looking pretty drat great! :)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/culturehustle/the-blackest-black-paint-in-the-world-black-30

I wonder if this would be useful for anything mini-related.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was about to say "gently caress paying $33 for 1 bottle" but then I looked up how big GW pots are. 12ml So this is more than 10x the size for less than 10x the price of a GW pot.

Could definitely be used in some neat "strategic" ways, but I wouldn't full on substitute regular black with it :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sab669 posted:

I was about to say "gently caress paying $33 for 1 bottle" but then I looked up how big GW pots are. 12ml So this is more than 10x the size for less than 10x the price of a GW pot.

Could definitely be used in some neat "strategic" ways, but I wouldn't full on substitute regular black with it :v:

That could be super cool as the cloaked portion of a Stealth Suit in those mid-decloaking paint jobs.

Also I want to redo my Stygies force with that as the base coat :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

It's a bit fragile and you can't varnish over it if you want to keep the effect, at least with Black 2.0.

It's really cool but it's more for display pieces.