Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you should usually solve this through a distributed saga pattern, not nesting remote transactions I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Very likely. You see, I would spend the time to learn about distributed systems if any sort of ambition for securing performance and scalability etc. wasn't dismissed out of hand. Even something as simple as abstracting and separating API, business logic, integrations and data persistence is scoffed at. As it is I'm just venting online until I feel secure enough about my prospects elsewhere to confront my boss to be more ambitious.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

SupSuper posted:

People that blindly fix compiler and static analyzer warnings are my biggest pet peeve.

I thought it was that - but now I think it's people who just slap
//Resharper Disable Once

On everything that static analysis brings up.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
code:
string isanyerror = "NO";
Trying to get some data for a client out of their horror-show of an inspection system where none of the models are linked, so I'm using the web-facing API to do it for me. Looking at the code is hurting me physically. IP addresses of SQL servers, hard-coded "sa" accounts with their passwords - all passwords being the same, hand-rolled SQL with "sql += <some string from the request>", you name it. Just saw the above in a GET action that does updates to half a dozen tables followed by this:

code:
catch (Exception ex) {
   isError = true;
   isanyerror = "YES";
   var errormess = ex.Message;
   errormess = errormess.Replace("'", "''");
followed by

code:
if (isError) continue;
followed by 200 more lines of code.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cuntpunch posted:

I thought it was that - but now I think it's people who just slap
//Resharper Disable Once

On everything that static analysis brings up.
I'd qualify both as "blind fix": You're getting rid of the warning without getting rid of the problem (unless it was an actual false positive).

To clarify, it's very easy to take warnings at face value and not address the actual problem, and there's a lot of driveby pull requesters that do so. Something like "unreachable code detected" might mean "code is obsolete, remove it" or "code preconditions are wrong, fix it" and if you don't know you might just make it worse.

A naming convention is harmless but when was the last time an internal compiler macro suddenly conflicted and broke something? As opposed to a random library macro because it used a common word?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Joda posted:

In a, "this has to fail and rollback if their side fails, and this is the only way to do it" way. Which is pretty much the way we do it here. No one ever tries to find proper solutions, and if they ask for the time, they get shut down. Also, it definitely is a problem. It's really a generic integration against multiple different APIs, that regularly fails to work, and consistently hangs for seconds.

This is where I work except all the APIs are internal instead.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Joda posted:

Very likely. You see, I would spend the time to learn about distributed systems if any sort of ambition for securing performance and scalability etc. wasn't dismissed out of hand. Even something as simple as abstracting and separating API, business logic, integrations and data persistence is scoffed at. As it is I'm just venting online until I feel secure enough about my prospects elsewhere to confront my boss to be more ambitious.

Pro tip: confronting your boss is pointless. Don't even bother. Bail out and go work somewhere better.

If you disregard this advice you'll regret it, I promise.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Simulated posted:

Pro tip: confronting your boss is pointless. Don't even bother. Bail out and go work somewhere better.

If you disregard this advice you'll regret it, I promise.

qft

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
We interviewed today a person for a position in our company. In their resume they have a link to their github account. In a file they have just uploaded yesterday (over 90% of the code looks to be have been updated in the last 10 days) saw this little gem:

code:
        vector<int> hh;

//100 lines later

// empty the hh vector
        while (!hh.empty())
             hh.pop_back();
Or this way to generate a random number:

code:
    // open urandom
    ifstream urandom("/dev/urandom");
    if (urandom.fail())  // check if there exist error
    {
        cerr << "Error: cannot open /dev/urandom\n";
        return 1;
    }

//get a random number for rd_s([2,s])
    urandom.read(&tmp_char,1);
    rd_s=(unsigned int)tmp_char % (s-2+1) + 2;

I think they have just copied code from wherever and pasted it in.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
public class JasonWrapper {

...fuuuuck yea

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

tyrelhill posted:

public class JasonWrapper {

...fuuuuck yea

I have a co-worker who pronounces it 'jay-SON', with the stress on the second syllable.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

j'sonne

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Take the results and give em a clap
That's how we do Jason's JSON wrapper rap

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
Don't go JasonWrapper-falls

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

NihilCredo posted:

I have a co-worker who pronounces it 'jay-SON', with the stress on the second syllable.

I do this interchangeably with jay-sun. It's just how I read it in my head for the first two years before I really heard anyone else say it.

Sometimes i want to make a thread where we record ourselves saying computer terms that we've only ever said in our head.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

I do this interchangeably with jay-sun. It's just how I read it in my head for the first two years before I really heard anyone else say it.

Sometimes i want to make a thread where we record ourselves saying computer terms that we've only ever said in our head.

I’ll start the weekee

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I refuse to believe anyone actually says Sequel.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

my office says almost nothing but

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

Nih-Gin-Ix
hard G

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Volguus posted:

We interviewed today a person for a position in our company. In their resume they have a link to their github account. In a file they have just uploaded yesterday (over 90% of the code looks to be have been updated in the last 10 days) saw this little gem:

Or this way to generate a random number:

I think they have just copied code from wherever and pasted it in.

I haven't tried this but I strongly suspect someone could use GitHub search to identify this person, in case you care. At this point GitHub code search is so good that you shouldn't post code from there under the expectation it's anonymous. For most people it doesn't matter, as an interviewer poo poo-talking their candidate, it may.

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 24, 2019

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I found a pretty good example of how not to use Optional at work today.

Java code:

public Optional<FooBar> findBarByFoo(UUID fooId) {
    Optional<Foo> foo = findFoo(fooId);
    Optional<Bar> bar = barService.find(foo.get().getBarId().toString());
    if (!bar.isPresent()) {
        throw new IllegalArgumentException("bar not found");
    }

Baz baz = findBaz(fooId);
    FooBarBuilder fooBarBuilder = new FooBarBuilder()
            .bar(bar.get())
            .baz(baz);
    // build() never returns null, obviously
    return Optional.ofNullable(fooBarBuilder.build());
}

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Jason is an actual, terrible, thing. :v:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

xtal posted:

I haven't tried this but I strongly suspect someone could use GitHub search to identify this person, in case you care. At this point GitHub code search is so good that you shouldn't post code from there under the expectation it's anonymous. For most people it doesn't matter, as an interviewer poo poo-talking their candidate, it may.

Now that you mentioned, i did try it. Luckily for the candidate, they indeed copied the code from about 30k other places. On one hand, they're not alone in this idiocy. On the other hand, it pretty much hides them in the crowd. On the third hand: they did pass that code as their own.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

"Skull"

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't there an ORM or two named Sequel? I pronounce the letters individually, but that probably means at least a few people don't.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Squirrel

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I refuse to believe people still say My-Ess-Que-El, who has time for all those syllables when there's sprint commitments to meet!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Hughlander posted:

I refuse to believe people still say My-Ess-Que-El, who has time for all those syllables when there's sprint commitments to meet!

I had to ask management for clarification and correct them multiple times when they kept referring to "My Sequel Server". A pox upon whoever is responsible for naming those.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
How often do people say these words aloud anyway? I internally call it My-Sequel, but to you, it's Go-Fuckyourself.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Are-Toss

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Everyone at my old place did, including all the old guard Oracle PL/SQL developers. Most of them have been writing SQL longer then I have been alive so who am I to tell them how to pronounce it.

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.
The justification that it's pronounced sequel because its predecessor was named sequel is incredibly bonkers. Just serial killer crazy.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Postgreh-sequel

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The only correct pronunciation.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Sockwill

The best is ambiguous pronunciation for programming stuff like expert sex change dot com (before they added the dash)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Sockwill

The best is ambiguous pronunciation for programming stuff like expert sex change dot com (before they added the dash)
Who Represents dot com was also great.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
On the topic of quieting compilers, I *love* whiteboard code interviews, as the people that that reflexively use signed/unsigned ints and consider range depending on context are the best. World population is a great one for this. Currency is interesting too,

This has gotten harder since 64-bit ints became a reasonable supposition, so I need to constrain the problem set these days, which can telegraph my intent.

Relevant because every large codebase I’ve touched is ridden with worthless signed/ unsigned compares that should be unsigned / unsigned.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I always just pronounce out the whole expanded acronym in order to avoid confusion. So for example SQL is "Structured Query Language", and GIF is "Graphics Interchange Format". Some acronyms like GNU take a little longer to say, but I think it's worth it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

VikingofRock posted:

I always just pronounce out the whole expanded acronym in order to avoid confusion. So for example SQL is "Structured Query Language", and GIF is "Graphics Interchange Format". Some acronyms like GNU take a little longer to say, but I think it's worth it.

How do you start saying "GNU"? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My structured query language is the best structured query language.

Because it's mine.