Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Light touch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

New page, therefore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riQbX2iPLe8

Acoustic Tele or the ad, one of these fits the thread

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

BB King, Billy Gibons (who also went down to sevens at one point), Jimmy Page, Hetfield, etc., all used eights as well. Use whatever strings feel good man, it's silly to think that lighter gauge strings are less "manly".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jonny Nox posted:

New page, therefore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riQbX2iPLe8

Acoustic Tele or the ad, one of these fits the thread
Watched this the other day and I legitimately want one of those lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuhsAyRpM6U

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

s.i.r.e. posted:

How did he use 8s when tuned down to C#?

I mean when you lose your fingertips in an industrial accident you probably like some low string tension

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

s.i.r.e. posted:

How did he use 8s when tuned down to C#?

For the C# bits he used 9s.

https://www.guitarplayer.com/technique/10-things-youve-gotta-do-to-play-like-tony-iommi

quote:

Through the years, Iommi has always favored light-gauge strings—.008- .032 for half-step dropped tuning, and .009-.042 for tunings below that—and black Dunlop picks of unspecified thickness. Hey, you’ve gotta keep some secrets!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s funny I saw an interview with the guitarist for Pentagram and they are famous for being one of the earliest photo-doom bands and hence they tune down to C standard. When he mentioned the tuning and his string gauges he talks about how he’s practiced looking like he’s strumming hard as gently caress when in reality he’s playing very, very lightly.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Chip McFuck posted:

BB King, Billy Gibons (who also went down to sevens at one point), Jimmy Page, Hetfield, etc., all used eights as well. Use whatever strings feel good man, it's silly to think that lighter gauge strings are less "manly".

They don't even really sound worse. I've played with 7s and while they definitely have a distinct tone it isn't really "thin".

I ended up going back up to 9s solely because the fret buzz with low action and super light strings is insane.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s funny I saw an interview with the guitarist for Pentagram and they are famous for being one of the earliest photo-doom bands and hence they tune down to C standard. When he mentioned the tuning and his string gauges he talks about how he’s practiced looking like he’s strumming hard as gently caress when in reality he’s playing very, very lightly.

I love that yeah! It’s really hard to do too. I play lightly but it looks light as well. I don’t know how he does it.

Comedy bonus points: talking about light gauge strings + light playing while listening to SRV

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

messed up by not listing it for $69k imo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love that yeah! It’s really hard to do too. I play lightly but it looks light as well. I don’t know how he does it.

Comedy bonus points: talking about light gauge strings + light playing while listening to SRV

Yea I'm also from the Sonny Sharrock school of cable ties as guitar strings and manhole covers for picks.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Players like Zakk Wylde also combine sets and use lighter gauge strings on the three high ones (10,13,17 in his case) and thicker in the bottom range (36, 52, 60 for Wylde). This means downtuned muted chugging is available on the wound strings, but also unlocks crazy bendy lead stuff on the high strings.

Most string companies nowadays actually offer a set with similar specs. GHS has the Wylde signature strings, Ernie Ball has the "heavy bottom, skinny top" set running from 10 to 52. Not sure if anyone has a set that has the three lightest strings from a .09-set, but it's worth a try to make one by buying singles if you prefer that.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
oi post more weird and bad stuff from NAMM

I really want to like this modular pedalboard system but it's just so badly thought out, it's bulky as hell and using RJ45 connectors between the modules seems like a very bad idea

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

kjetting posted:

Players like Zakk Wylde also combine sets and use lighter gauge strings on the three high ones (10,13,17 in his case) and thicker in the bottom range (36, 52, 60 for Wylde). This means downtuned muted chugging is available on the wound strings, but also unlocks crazy bendy lead stuff on the high strings.

Most string companies nowadays actually offer a set with similar specs. GHS has the Wylde signature strings, Ernie Ball has the "heavy bottom, skinny top" set running from 10 to 52. Not sure if anyone has a set that has the three lightest strings from a .09-set, but it's worth a try to make one by buying singles if you prefer that.

I’ve used heavy-lights for a while and I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that they’re too much work for the condition my tendons and ligaments are in. Going down to standard 9s from here on.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, I feel like a freak for preferring .10's on 25.5" and .11's on 24.5" scale guitars. Anything else feels floppy to me.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Concatenation posted:

oi post more weird and bad stuff from NAMM

I really want to like this modular pedalboard system but it's just so badly thought out, it's bulky as hell and using RJ45 connectors between the modules seems like a very bad idea

Conceptually the idea is fine, but ohhh lord they could've done much more than cable management by box. Use a 1/4" M/M coupler on each side for linkage, do the same for power, route cabling internally via channels instead of filling the whole loving thing with plastic (why), don't make it four feet tall...

e: At the risk of creating thread content, I did their jobs for them.

Use generic, readily-available parts that cost cents, and the whole thing is less than an inch tall. Doesn't contain a Tonium (TM) tube circuit or a fancy space background though.

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jan 25, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

s.i.r.e. posted:

I honestly thought that was 4 random dudes on the Weezer album cover until I looked them up. They haven't aged gracefully but since their aesthetic of their early years doesn't work when you're pushing 50 their current look is weird as poo poo.

They have aged well into that thousand-yard-dead-inside stare they had cultivated as kids.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Lol I play 13s on a 25.5 I’m gonna die soon.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Dick Dale plays enormous bridge-cable strings, and he's not dead yet. (He's not dead yet, is he? :ohdear:)

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

Dick Dale plays enormous bridge-cable strings, and he's not dead yet. (He's not dead yet, is he? :ohdear:)

Last I checked, Dick Dale is still alive and performing because being a guitar god doesn't include a good healthcare plan and he needs to perform to pay off medical bills.

He still plays .13's, though, because he's a goddamn animal.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dick Dale is a lunatic. I swear I've heard things in his songs that I've also heard on Megadeth's debut. Dick Dale rules, basically.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In standard? Also roundwound?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

In standard? Also roundwound?

Yea about 50/50 between E std and C std. Yuh roundwound. I like strumming and playing very roughly, in general. It's fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Reddit is awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/ajk12x/discussion_unpopular_opinion_stop_telling/

[DISCUSSION] Unpopular Opinion - Stop Telling Beginners How "Better Gear Won't Make Them A Better Player"

the actual post is more about telling newbies to get their poo poo set up

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Jr. posted:

Conceptually the idea is fine, but ohhh lord they could've done much more than cable management by box. Use a 1/4" M/M coupler on each side for linkage, do the same for power, route cabling internally via channels instead of filling the whole loving thing with plastic (why), don't make it four feet tall...

e: At the risk of creating thread content, I did their jobs for them.

Use generic, readily-available parts that cost cents, and the whole thing is less than an inch tall. Doesn't contain a Tonium (TM) tube circuit or a fancy space background though.

Yeah it really hasn't been thought through, and they've failed to even demo it properly. I've seen three seperate things they've done now and I only have a vague idea how it works.

I'm sure this will disappear into the ether of failed NAMM projects like that acoustic virtual whammy bar from last year

Spanish Manlove posted:

Reddit is awesome

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/ajk12x/discussion_unpopular_opinion_stop_telling/

[DISCUSSION] Unpopular Opinion - Stop Telling Beginners How "Better Gear Won't Make Them A Better Player"

the actual post is more about telling newbies to get their poo poo set up

There's this one parents-money rich kid on a local buy/sell group who is constantly wheeling and dealing obscenely expensive guitars, I remember him selling off all his LP customs one year because he was getting a custom built. Surprise, surprise, the custom was up on there within 6 months after about half an hour of playtime. Even less of a surprise, he occasionally puts up videos of him playing the solo of sweet child o mine and the oval office can't even play guitar, like literally beginner in a music store level of bad.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

There's this one parents-money rich kid on a local buy/sell group who is constantly wheeling and dealing obscenely expensive guitars, I remember him selling off all his LP customs one year because he was getting a custom built. Surprise, surprise, the custom was up on there within 6 months after about half an hour of playtime. Even less of a surprise, he occasionally puts up videos of him playing the solo of sweet child o mine and the oval office can't even play guitar, like literally beginner in a music store level of bad.

oh wow that's cool the tone king lives near you

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

snap

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I was going to suggest Trogly.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Concatenation posted:

Even less of a surprise, he occasionally puts up videos of him playing the solo of sweet child o mine and the oval office can't even play guitar, like literally beginner in a music store level of bad.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

I used to teach lessons to a guy who had something like 40 guitars, several amps and I mean good amps, an insane pedal collection. Every time I'd come over he would show me his poo poo and he'd have all this advice on how to get famous players' sounds and stuff

Imagine spending that much money and effort acquiring gear but not spending any of that time playing the guitar! What's the point?? like this guy would be watching guitar poo poo on youtube, playing w pedals and poo poo but somehow hasnt learned how to play more than a few seconds of anything, trying not to be rude but we'd spend at least 5 mins having him try and fail to tune down and then up to pitch w a fuggin tuner pedal!

that's like furnishing a tricked out kitchen and only eating dominos or having a mechanic's dream garage and still taking your car in to the shop to change your loving blinker fluid!!

Had to smile when he told me that money for lessons wasn't gonna be in his budget for a few months. It was good bc I was starting to covet some of his stuff haha

In closing and to be fair, I love guitars n poo poo that I don't need. I got the guitar acquiring bug like so many others but my first couple of years as a Pro Player® I had 2 guitars and 1 bass and I lived on borrowed gear. Now I'm a fat cat w tons of poo poo but I put in my time!!!!!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm good friends with a guy who started out as a customer of mine for some custom pedals. He just loves gear. He buys and sells tons of old amps and guitars and has every chase bliss and meris box. When he wants to "show me something" I gotta strap in for some boredom or try to steer things into playing the drat guitars because he will just gently caress with settings for hours on his starship enterprise console of effects pedals.

At least it's not eurorack?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

stop loving subtweeting me everyone!!!!!!!!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

At least it's not eurorack?

I'm hard but my synths soft

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I am Otis posted:

Imagine spending that much money and effort acquiring gear but not spending any of that time playing the guitar! What's the point?? like this guy would be watching guitar poo poo on youtube, playing w pedals and poo poo but somehow hasnt learned how to play more than a few seconds of anything, trying not to be rude but we'd spend at least 5 mins having him try and fail to tune down and then up to pitch w a fuggin tuner pedal!

that's like furnishing a tricked out kitchen and only eating dominos or having a mechanic's dream garage and still taking your car in to the shop to change your loving blinker fluid!!

stuff like that doesn't bother me too much. people can waste their money on whatever they want, and honestly the more boomers buy expensive gear purely as wallhangers, the more it'll drive down used prices when they all croak

i think a better analogy to shitheads like the tone king would be a youtube cooking channel where the guy had a fully decked out kitchen, but didn't know how to preheat an oven or dice vegetables

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think it comes down to self awareness. If they’re aware of how they are it’s fine. If they’re smug and act like they’re incredible musicians then they deserve any poo poo they get.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Personally I do recognise that these people are different markets, I understand that some folks are collectors and that they want to own "the best" LP or custom whatever and that actually using the thing would lower its future retrade value. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that, but it does make me think of all the thousands upon thousands of man hours and expertise that went into crafting an incredible instrument that gets played for 30 minutes every 5 years and lives in a case the entire time and not even on display. If I was a luthier I'd probably be annoyed.

I'm sure I've brought it up before but Carillion guitars made some guitars out of a 5300 year old bog oak and a guy that lives in my city bought one, only to not play it and flip it a year or two later. For shame man, a guitar made from wood that's older than human civilisation needs to be playing some world-endingly heavy doom riffs or something similar, not a bluesdad trophy ward against a midlife crisis.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

While we're talking about spending too much money, I kinda want to not spend too much money - is there a decent reverb with shimmer that people like that doesn't cost like a billion dollars?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hexwren posted:

While we're talking about spending too much money, I kinda want to not spend too much money - is there a decent reverb with shimmer that people like that doesn't cost like a billion dollars?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HallOfFame2--tc-electronic-hall-of-fame-2-reverb-pedal

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm going to post this on The Gear Page or something and watch it explode.

Welp, mission accomplished. 77 likes and 9 pages of discussion in 2 days.

lol

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/millenials-are-killing-the-20-000-guitar-industry.2013423/

edit: 10 pages now.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 26, 2019

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Am I weird for never wanting to sell/trade my guitars unless I absolutely have to? I love each and every one of them and even thinking of selling one feels like I'm abandoning it. Also I'm a sentimental moron and gave each guitar a name with a story behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

So... just checked this out and it's legit as hell.

drat.