Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Dpulex posted:

How long is this game? I've heard it might take a few hours to get through.

Do you mean Nexus? Over 100 hours if you do everything at a normal pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014

RegalStar posted:

Hero is one of the worst classes for doing disables with their really poor luck and lackluster strength. If you already have disables elsewhere they can piggyback off them fine with vampire and mind drain, but I wouldn't get them to actually do disables. Guard Slash is fine though.

It's why I was considering War Magus with the high base rates on the bind slashes, then there'd still be a decent chance, and I'm fine with that.

Clarste posted:

I think it's also worth noting that Subclassing unlocks really late in Nexus, and it's a long game to begin with. Basically it takes more time to unlock subclassing than it normally takes to to beat an entire EO game. Rather than a midgame boost like it was in previous games with the system, it's more like a way to stretch the game out after you've already run out of things to put points in for your main class.

Ah, that's too bad to hear, guess I've got to deal with overall lack of binds with this party, since I really like it. Well, maybe lack of leg binds, since Medic has Head Drop and Ronin has Arm Strike.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

man the blizzard king sucksssss

I always try to bait out the mirror before committing to a big attack so I know it won't be coming out but he just seems to magically know when I finally decide to attack and busts it out on that turn

also who thought the whole core thing was a good idea

e: the whole minion-summoning theme for bosses in general really sucks, especially since the EOU2 story party is just about the worst party possible for dealing with that gimmick

e2: looked up the pattern and it turns out the blizzard king only uses mirror after summoning a core(if it's not mid wail+breath combo, if it is it'll finish that instead then use it) and never at any other time, I was overthinking it oops

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 25, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm maybe 10 hours into EOIV and never bought V. I'm a few minutes into Untold 1. Will Nexus be enough of a "definitive" game that I won't feel the need to spread out my playthrough across multiple games to get a large tasted of the series. I'm thinking of just getting that and focusing on it, and then go back to the older titles if I really need more shwampy pampys.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Violently Car posted:

Do you mean Nexus? Over 100 hours if you do everything at a normal pace.

Jeez.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

chaosapiant posted:

I'm maybe 10 hours into EOIV and never bought V. I'm a few minutes into Untold 1. Will Nexus be enough of a "definitive" game that I won't feel the need to spread out my playthrough across multiple games to get a large tasted of the series. I'm thinking of just getting that and focusing on it, and then go back to the older titles if I really need more shwampy pampys.

I don't think Nexus is a "definitive" game in any sense, it's mostly just fanservice for people who literally can't have enough Etrian Odyssey and need it injected directly into their veins.

Honestly not sure how it would feel to someone who isn't already a fan of the series.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

I doubt it. You should probably just try and stick with one of the games you already have or maybe you just don't like the series if you've given it two tries and not gotten into it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Do the classes in EON have anything like the Proficiency/Expertise/Enlightenment skills in EOIV? I was thinking of using a Nightseeker in EON until I realized I wasn't sure if they get their passive damage boost against enemies with ailments. Is that still in?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do the classes in EON have anything like the Proficiency/Expertise/Enlightenment skills in EOIV? I was thinking of using a Nightseeker in EON until I realized I wasn't sure if they get their passive damage boost against enemies with ailments. Is that still in?

I believe the existing ones in EO4 got converted into multi-level regular skills. (And subsequently nerfed since you can get them before level 40.)

They did change how Force skill scaling works. Instead of being a steady linear increase in power that scales off of your level, they have 3 tiers of power and get even more powerful at levels 20 and 40.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dear developers who decided to tie amrtia IIs to a curse conditional

why

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
Is there a place that contains info about conditional drops, like from bosses in Nexus? Not willing to play a guessing game in conditional drops with my limited knowledge in JP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Someone here made like a spreadsheet that I had open when I played.

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016

Grashbar posted:

Is there a place that contains info about conditional drops, like from bosses in Nexus? Not willing to play a guessing game in conditional drops with my limited knowledge in JP.

Bar patrons tell you all about normal monster and FOE conditional drops, as usual. Someone will probably compile a list of boss conditionals soon after the game comes out anyways.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yinlock posted:

dear developers who decided to tie amrtia IIs to a curse conditional

why

Devs have to be evil to you some how. Need to spread more despair.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
I remembered and realized that Ninja has a leg bind move based on STR that goes well with my Ronin, so now I'm having them wield a VIT dagger offhand to access the leg bind move. And with that, I think most of my bases are covered.

Hero subbed War Magus for +TP with swords, Vampire
Ronin subbed Ninja for leg bind and cheaper moves, as well as higher evasion
Harbinger subbed Farmer because I literally couldn't think of anything for Harbinger
Medic subbed Princess to provide buffs
Zodiac subbed Imperial for more elemental damage and TP recovery when hitting weaknesses

I think this sounds like a... steady plan for when Nexus comes out in the west. Maybe not solid, but we'll see.

Grashbar fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 27, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I hate gimmick bosses. Thanks to a fever and a nasty cough, I managed to gently caress up the 3rd Stratum boss fight in EO3 so bad, I only got a small pittance of experience and nearly wasted my formaldehyde on that last surviving part.

The fight started so good, the boss immediately sniped two of my characters, one of them my healer. :shepface:

But welp, enough logic sectors in my brain worked to get back up and defeat that thing. Now I guess I have to defeat him two more times, because every part counts as a separate being? Gimmick bosses. :spitontheground:

Edit:

At least this is the first Etrian Odyssey boss I managed to defeat in one go. But on the other hand, my average level was 35, so I was maybe a bit overlevelled. :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ur-demon's floor is lame, mostly because of these foes that have no movement pattern and can see you from 100 miles away

(for the record i'm probably not going to actually fight ur-demon, i'm just tooling around as i grind to 99)

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
That entire DLC is extremely rude.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

werbear posted:

That entire DLC is extremely rude.

i kind of admire that they charge you five bucks for the privilege of being told to go gently caress yourself

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Ur-Devil isn't thaaat much worse than Ur-Child if you know its pattern. It's mostly just much longer, and you need a party build that takes into account every single one of its attacks and gives you a way to either prevent or survive them, while also maintaining high damage output.

...well, okay, when I put it that way it sounds pretty bad

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I love how that fight has a phase that explicitly punishes you if your DPS is too high, despite all the other phases being a DPS check. And by love I mean, who thought this hellscape of a fight was a good idea!?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
If there was a shortcut to let you go to the harvesting room and skip all of the FOE bullshit, it'd be a much better DLC.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If there was a shortcut to let you go to the harvesting room and skip all of the FOE bullshit, it'd be a much better DLC.

yeah those items would actually be pretty useful if you could actually access them before you're level 95+ and can survive the hell gauntlet

if I do end up doing ur-devil i'm cheesing the hell out of him because that fight is just real bad on every level

Thuryl posted:

Ur-Devil isn't thaaat much worse than Ur-Child if you know its pattern. It's mostly just much longer, and you need a party build that takes into account every single one of its attacks and gives you a way to either prevent or survive them, while also maintaining high damage output.

...well, okay, when I put it that way it sounds pretty bad

yeah the main issue is that it's both much longer and just as punishing, so even if you're 40 minutes into the fight if you make a bad guess you're immediately dead

e: i'm glad that helpful rare dinogator was there to make going up from 30-99 after training easy and fun

also lol i could kill the dinogator at like level 60 and it could barely hurt me in return picnic is a joke

now everyone has big stats and gold belts and dragonbanes, me like big numbers *gorilla noises*

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 29, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

and there's ur-child dead :toot: didn't even cheese this one

wasn't nearly as bad as EOU's yggdrasil core, mostly because he actually spreads out his party wipe moves instead of using them every other turn

also, blind food exists and is the greatest

Dr. Fetus posted:

I love how that fight has a phase that explicitly punishes you if your DPS is too high, despite all the other phases being a DPS check. And by love I mean, who thought this hellscape of a fight was a good idea!?

tbf ur-child also has one of these

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 30, 2019

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I personally went for maximizing my HP and stats rather than relying on the blind food for the Ur-Devil fight, since my strategy going in was to minimize the number of random factors I had to take into account. Turns out Bertrand can (barely) tank even Howling Winds if you have him at full HP and set him up juuust right. Value of Solitude is also survivable even with a full party if you have everyone defend on the turn you know it's coming out. The blind food is definitely a viable option, though.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jan 30, 2019

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Yinlock posted:

and there's ur-child dead :toot: didn't even cheese this one

Good job. If you are going in release order EOV should be a breeze after that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

werbear posted:

Good job. If you are going in release order EOV should be a breeze after that.

I just did Ur-Devil too, but I 5-turn cheesed the hell out of him with the peerless illusion chaser setup(replacing one survivalist with fafnir)

I was originally playing with the idea of doing it legit but I saw drfetus' LP PSA about how horseshit that fight is and was like "lol no"

I'm probably going to break from Etrian for a while since I just did U1 and U2 in a row, but i'll definitely be back to do the rest

e: ty everyone for putting up with me constantly reviving this thread to vent/bounce ideas, it made the experience much more fun

e2: oh yeah might as well do the writeup since i'm done with U2 now

pros

+ Story is way better and the story party seems weird but ends up being fairly balanced and forces you to master a wide range of mechanics
+ Fafnir is a really fun exclusive class
+ Unique dungeon is way better than EOU's, mostly because Classic has access to it and Story always has to go through some unique challenge to progress through it
+ Changing map icons are helpful with determining where you've been and if you've used a shortcut or not, especially after dying
+ Joe Skilltext kicked his drinking habit and skills have stopped lying to you about what they do, though there's an error or two still there
+ Grimoire trading makes Grimoires in general 1000x better
+ The restaurant and it's ability to make blind not garbage is incredible

cons

- While the minion-summoning isn't a big deal during the main game, post-game bosses are largely absolute rear end because of it
- A couple vital post-game tools are hidden behind dlc, and on-disc dlc is always bad no matter how hilarious the chicken fight was
- promising me Fafnir Boat Adventures and being unable to deliver
- endgame equipment is largely insanely expensive

good game overall, way better than EOU and I enjoyed EOU

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 31, 2019

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I put down 5 a while back in the postgame stratum. Are there any interesting story or non-bullshit grind-free challenges in there?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The entire stratum could be considered bullshit in a certain sense, as all 6th strata are, but you can actually see the entire story of it without even fighting the boss, so it's a grind-free experience that sheds some interesting light on where the game falls in the Etrian-verse. Although I believe the translation kind of downplayed the implications, iirc.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
are the portraits going to be free dlc?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tired Moritz posted:

are the portraits going to be free dlc?

They were in Japan for...a week? A month? Some period of time after release.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
It better be free or I'll be lightly salted

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Are farmers useful in main parties or are they best for a gathering group in EON?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Farmers are one of two classes that can equip guns. That's about it.

Er... they have some status ailment utility, but nothing really all that great in my experience.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I've settled on being irresponsible and buying Nexus before I actually get around to finishing EOV, and I've shed my shame enough to ask if there are any potentially awful party combos I can manage to stumble into. I assume if I have someone solid on the front row, something capable of healing, and a decent way of inflicting Binds/Ailments, I should be alright?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
How big is EON digitally? I prefer physical shops but I dont think any of my shops have any supply coming.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clarste posted:

a grind-free experience that sheds some interesting light on where the game falls in the Etrian-verse. Although I believe the translation kind of downplayed the implications, iirc.
What does it say in JP?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

DACK FAYDEN posted:

What does it say in JP?

In JP it's revealed that the planet you're on is Mars, and the next destination of Arken is 'the blue planet', AKA Earth'

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Tired Moritz posted:

How big is EON digitally? I prefer physical shops but I dont think any of my shops have any supply coming.

Around 820 MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Some people in EU has gotten X copies early. There's so many classes.