Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
There are two true things about this thread.

1) Nothing will derail quicker than arguing over the definition of "fiddly."
2) Suburbia is the one game everyone can agree is fiddly.

It's got a lot of fun interaction and ideas and it moves smoothly, but there are about a hundred different ways to mess up scoring triggers based on the board state of every player, and I doubt I've ever played a game of it where we ended up with every player's score correct at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

TorakFade posted:

Any opinions on Suburbia? I've seen a deluxe definitive edition on Kickstarter and the game looks intriguing, and the original 2012 version is all but impossible to find locally (or costs almost as much as this kickstarter ed. but the latter has all expansions, metal coins, wooden tokens and so on)

I love Suburbia but it isn't for everyone. Like Huxley said, it's fiddly because every time you drop a tile down there's going to be a lot of things happening as far as adjusting tracks and counting various triggers and it can get tedious quickly keeping track of them. BUT, once you get a feel for it the administration becomes a lot less cumbersome than it appears and you can really get into the meat and potatoes of playing your own version of Sim City, which often results in some hilarious looking towns.

I guess ultimately it boils down to: do you like tile laying games and/or do you like city building games? And if you said yes to one of those I would say at least try it at a cafe. If you said yes to both just grab it.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I see, thanks!

Well with our group we play plenty of Agricola, so fiddliness and complicated poo poo doesn't really scare us.

We also play Carcassonne, which I like but is waaaay too simple and random for my taste, and I would really gladly see it go out of rotation in favor of a better tile laying game.

Other big hits are Power Grid, Azul (I don't like it but I'm the only one), Puerto Rico, Viticulture and to a lesser extent 7 wonders (I love it for casual gaming, but I seem to be the only one, the others tolerate it :v: ) - so you could say we like engine builders a whole lot :) it just seems to me that Suburbia could scratch a few itches pretty well while been different enough from what we have, and thematically I think it would be well appreciated by our group. Plus I'm a sucker for metal / wooden / "deluxe" components so I guess I'm going to get it - if it has a solo mode, it won't be wasted money since I like playing solo too :)

By the way, we want to try our hand at coop games too. I own Eldritch Horror but the theme isn't liked by my group, and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island which we plan to play soon(ish), but never tried til now. Buddy of mine has Forgotten Island too, but that's it - what other coop games are worth a shot, also considering the kinds of game we like as outlined above?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 25, 2019

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

ZeroCount posted:

Finally got round to playing my very first game of Spirit Island, something I've really been looking forward to. Me and a friend chose spirits randomly so we wound up with Rampant Spread of Green and Shadows Flicker Like Flame which I suspect in hindsight isn't the best combo for a 2-player game, especially when both of us had never played the game before. Even against the basic bitch invaders it was a big struggle and we only barely won. This game's got a lot of depth to it and a lot of room to get better so I'm looking forward to playing tomorrow.

Yeah I would def advise against picking any but the four basic spirits for your first and maybe second game.

Played Teotihuacan for the first time yesterday, ended up handily winning by stockpiling immense quantities of stone and rushing out eight pyramid constructions in a row. Seems like the actions that lock in your workers are too low of a benefit for the cost to unlock them. I ended up doing those twice in the entire game, once as the very last turn. Maybe the cocoa cost to unlock should be based on the number of locked workers and not just a flat three.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TorakFade posted:

By the way, we want to try our hand at coop games too. I own Eldritch Horror but the theme isn't liked by my group, and Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island which we plan to play soon(ish), but never tried til now. Buddy of mine has Forgotten Island too, but that's it - what other coop games are worth a shot, also considering the kinds of game we like as outlined above?

You mean coops that you'll like based on the three there that you haven't played, or based on liking Agricola and Carcassonne?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Suburbia is great, but in all honesty Castles of Mad King Ludwig does everything Suburbia does but better. On top of that, Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig does what Castles of Mad King Ludwig does but even better.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Jedit posted:

You mean coops that you'll like based on the three there that you haven't played, or based on liking Agricola and Carcassonne?

Well I mean any coop game really, possibly that is in some ways similar to games we already play so it would be a "safe" choice... for instance, I'm now looking at Spirit Island and whoa, that looks like plenty of fun.

My birthday's coming up so I'm trying to come up with a list of possible gifts as suggestions for my parents / family, I don't want another drat tie or sweater, I want games and luxury items :eng101:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TorakFade posted:

Well I mean any coop game really, possibly that is in some ways similar to games we already play so it would be a "safe" choice... for instance, I'm now looking at Spirit Island and whoa, that looks like plenty of fun.

My birthday's coming up so I'm trying to come up with a list of possible gifts as suggestions for my parents / family, I don't want another drat tie or sweater, I want games and luxury items :eng101:

Spirit Island is OK. City of Kings is good and you might be able to find someone who had backer's remorse from the second KS campaign, which just fulfilled. Likewise with the Ragnarok edition of Yggdrasil, although I think the publisher still has a few copies left.

Also you should get The Faceless if you can find it, for the creep factor and the uniqueness value.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Spirit Island is great and widely considered one of if not the best coop ever designed by those with correct taste

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Bottom Liner posted:

Spirit Island is great and widely considered one of if not the best coop ever designed by those with correct taste

I've played it over 100 times with my current gaming group and we still look forward to getting together to play it every week. Game is good.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

KPC_Mammon posted:

I've played it over 100 times with my current gaming group and we still look forward to getting together to play it every week. Game is good.

I do agree with Walker from SVWAG. It can be too easy to win. I have never lost a game of Spirit Island. I like it, but either my players are amazing or the game may not be hard enough.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

Suburbia is great, but in all honesty Castles of Mad King Ludwig does everything Suburbia does but better. On top of that, Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig does what Castles of Mad King Ludwig does but even better.

I enjoy all three games. Suburbia is easily the best two player game out of the group. Between Two Castles is a good game but it's really different from base Castles in that the economy/auction portion is completely gone.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TorakFade posted:

We also play Carcassonne, which I like but is waaaay too simple and random for my taste, and I would really gladly see it go out of rotation in favor of a better tile laying game.

Other big hits are Power Grid, Azul (I don't like it but I'm the only one), Puerto Rico, Viticulture and to a lesser extent 7 wonders (I love it for casual gaming, but I seem to be the only one, the others tolerate it :v: )

You want either Fresh Fish or Tigris and Euphrates. As an avid Carc fan, I looked for the best tile laying game for years when the answer (T&E) was in front of me all along. Fresh Fish is also fantastic as a fan of power grid - play with new or old edition box but don’t use the new edition rules.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

I do agree with Walker from SVWAG. It can be too easy to win. I have never lost a game of Spirit Island. I like it, but either my players are amazing or the game may not be hard enough.

Is there a spirit combo that you tend to use or do you choose them arbitrarily?

Also the game has something like 17 different levels of difficulty so it would depend on which invaders/scenarios you use, etc.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

I can usually win against difficulty 10 opponents if I'm playing two spirits solo that I know how to use together, but that falls apart in multiplayer games. We don't usually go above difficulty 7 or 8 as a group.

Do you have any advice for properly coordinating while playing the highest difficulties (10+)?

These days we've been playing a lot with an extra board against medium level opponents.

edit: Second wave with an extra board, seeing how far we can go is a lot of fun.

edit 2: I think Walker is full of poo poo, honestly. I doubt he has played anything past the tutorial difficulty.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 25, 2019

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Overheard FLGS patron pronounce Gloomhaven "Gloomhavin" as if it were a contraction of "Gloomhaving."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydg9QjVpm1w

People ruin everything.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chill la Chill posted:

You want either Fresh Fish or Tigris and Euphrates. As an avid Carc fan, I looked for the best tile laying game for years when the answer (T&E) was in front of me all along. Fresh Fish is also fantastic as a fan of power grid - play with new or old edition box but don’t use the new edition rules.

I really gotta give T&E another chance.

EDIT: VVVV Depending on where you are and how much is too much, the bang for your buck from GH is unbeatable. That said, if you don't think you'd play it that much or get your wife/friends to play, I'd hold off.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 25, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

deadwing posted:

I enjoy all three games. Suburbia is easily the best two player game out of the group. Between Two Castles is a good game but it's really different from base Castles in that the economy/auction portion is completely gone.

Ah, thanks for this insight. We mostly play 2 players (me and my wife) or 4 players (me+wife, friend+wife) so the ideal game plays well at both counts, 2 player preferred because we have 1 night a week to play 4 player games with friends, but potentially 7 nights a week to play 2 player games without even leaving the house :)

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, I'll get a good look at all the games mentioned, this thread is really great :dance:

Also I want Gloomhaven but it's expensive, hard to find here, and I would basically have to play solo for a number of reasons :smith: talk me out of spending a crapton of money on it please

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

This is still the weirdest criticism because the game has insane scaling of difficulty from “you won’t lose” to “you won’t win” and the amount of fine tuning you can make in between those two for your taste is so well done. When anyone says it’s too hard or too easy, they’re just not using the scaling difficulty correctly. That could be the games fault a bit, it could do a better job helping players find their ideal difficulty.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TorakFade posted:

Also I want Gloomhaven but it's expensive, hard to find here, and I would basically have to play solo for a number of reasons :smith: talk me out of spending a crapton of money on it please

Unless you want to spend a bunch of time or money getting it organized, it's a big pain in the rear end to set up, and while there's an insane amount of content there, that doesn't mean it's worth your money if you don't end up playing most of it. It's my favorite game, but also a game I rarely play because I'm too lazy to pull it out and pack it back up on a regular basis and don't want to throw even more money at it to fix the problem. I'm admittedly a far less organized person than most, so it might not be quite that bad for everyone else, but the game certainly does demand an investment that goes beyond just the upfront cash.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Chubbs posted:

Is there a spirit combo that you tend to use or do you choose them arbitrarily?

Also the game has something like 17 different levels of difficulty so it would depend on which invaders/scenarios you use, etc.

The choice tends to be to select them arbitrarily. I know it has higher difficulty levels and I guess I should have been clearer. It is my intent to ramp that up as even the middle tier stuff seems too easy.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I can usually win against difficulty 10 opponents if I'm playing two spirits solo that I know how to use together, but that falls apart in multiplayer games. We don't usually go above difficulty 7 or 8 as a group.

Do you have any advice for properly coordinating while playing the highest difficulties (10+)?

These days we've been playing a lot with an extra board against medium level opponents.

edit: Second wave with an extra board, seeing how far we can go is a lot of fun.

edit 2: I think Walker is full of poo poo, honestly. I doubt he has played anything past the tutorial difficulty.

My only advice for properly coordinating is just talk it through as a team. Discuss how you can buff each other and what you will be capable of tackling in the coming turn.

Walker has played well past that. Mark loves the game and it sees the table often.

Bottom Liner posted:

This is still the weirdest criticism because the game has insane scaling of difficulty from “you won’t lose” to “you won’t win” and the amount of fine tuning you can make in between those two for your taste is so well done. When anyone says it’s too hard or too easy, they’re just not using the scaling difficulty correctly. That could be the games fault a bit, it could do a better job helping players find their ideal difficulty.

It was intended as more of an observation. As I said above I should have added that I intend to up the difficulty next time. It may be a side effect of a new player or two at the table. We are reluctant to play at upper tier difficulty so won't they feel lost and ask for too much coaching. Either we need an all veterans game, or just play with a newbie and warn them about what we are doing.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
There's also the digital version coming out soon that might be similar enough and not totally suck.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

tbh the game's published difficulty scale doesn't really cope with experienced players using the stronger spirits in effective combos.

It's still a weak criticism because you can still just... not play those spirits/combos, it's not like there's any shortage of alternatives.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Straight White Shark posted:

tbh the game's published difficulty scale doesn't really cope with experienced players using the stronger spirits in effective combos.

It's still a weak criticism because you can still just... not play those spirits/combos, it's not like there's any shortage of alternatives.

For us the problems were:

1. As difficulty goes up, it rewards a lot of planning and detailed co-operation. It ended up being either "too easy" or "too long" - especially with >2p.
2. There's a lot of variety on the player side, but the opposition feels very bleh. I would have liked to see the opponents vary in more interesting ways, with unique mechanics or something.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

jmzero posted:

For us the problems were:

1. As difficulty goes up, it rewards a lot of planning and detailed co-operation. It ended up being either "too easy" or "too long" - especially with >2p.
2. There's a lot of variety on the player side, but the opposition feels very bleh. I would have liked to see the opponents vary in more interesting ways, with unique mechanics or something.

That's fair. We wound up playing against Brandenburg-Prussia a lot once we got into the higher difficulties to keep the playing time down, but that doesn't help the adversary variety at all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you haven't played Tigris & Euphrates and are considering it I would recommend going straight to Yellow & Yangtze. It improves the game by cleaning up a few bits but more importantly to me it makes every tile have some kind of functional action beyond just placing on the board.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

"Spirit Island developer blog" posted:

Types of colonization (or, Why you probably won’t see Spain anytime soon)

Very roughly speaking, there were three broad categories of European colonies:

1. Colonization-and-immigration. Lots of people sent over to live in a new land - perhaps for its resources, perhaps for strategic reasons, perhaps as a societal pressure-valve. One iconic example is Britain colonizing North America.

2. Conquest-and-subjugation. Some immigration, but not nearly as much as #1. Instead, the colonials subjugated the local inhabitants to demand tribute / enslave them / require work from them. One iconic example is Spain's conquistadors, and the encomienda/repartimiento systems in Latin America.

3. Factory-and-trade. Relatively low immigration, usually to a single coastal city intended to act as point-of-presence for the nation’s trade in the region. This required good relations with the local leader - perhaps through gifts or diplomacy, perhaps by backing one leader/tribe/faction (to the detriment of others) or by simply outright installing a local ruler. One iconic example is the Portuguese trade colonies chaining out to the East Indies.

The core mechanics of Spirit Island represent #1: colonization-and-immigration-type colonies. But not all exploring countries performed that type of colonization! So there are some historical powers that you won't see, at least for now. (I'm confident the game could be extended to Conquest Adversaries. Trade Adversaries are trickier, but I have some ideas.)

I really want to see Conquistadors appear as an enemy for a Spirit Island expansion focusing on the Dahan. I'm not exactly sure how you'd model them, but the British East India Company and the Dutch East India Company should also be added for variety's sake.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

Walker has played well past that. Mark loves the game and it sees the table often.

I don't know them personally and I'm a couple of weeks behind on the podcast but from what I'd heard he has only played it on two occasions and had a really negative impression because it was too easy. Second time it sounded like he was looking for reasons to dislike it.

If you are actually gaming with them and this isn't the case apologies for my strong language but that wasn't conveyed in their podcast.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's fun that certain adversaries in Spirit Island completely kneecap some spirits at higher difficulties. Playing any difficulty of England immediately destroys the Keeper of Forbidden Wild's primary advantage, for example.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

al-azad posted:

If you haven't played Tigris & Euphrates and are considering it I would recommend going straight to Yellow & Yangtze. It improves the game by cleaning up a few bits but more importantly to me it makes every tile have some kind of functional action beyond just placing on the board.

This is part of what i thought enfeebled it. You say "placing it on the board" dismissively but that's enough for me as that's the whole game (though can't you also commit tiles as reinforcements?). Instead each tile has some power of variable usefulness which is a large ding in terms of purity and ease of teaching.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

SettingSun posted:

It's fun that certain adversaries in Spirit Island completely kneecap some spirits at higher difficulties. Playing any difficulty of England immediately destroys the Keeper of Forbidden Wild's primary advantage, for example.

I thought Keeper's primary advantage was an obscene presence track and the ability to drop two presence every turn. If any spirit is brokenly overpowered it is Keeper.

I don't even bother with sacred sites anymore when I play Keeper unless it is a solo game. Draft a major to replace Towering Wrath early game, spread out your presence as much as possible, and have no weaknesses.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I was referring more to its ability to lay down wilds which keeps its part of the island totally clear. Unless you're playing England, where they'll build in empty spaces if there's enough buildings in adjacent spaces.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't know them personally and I'm a couple of weeks behind on the podcast but from what I'd heard he has only played it on two occasions and had a really negative impression because it was too easy. Second time it sounded like he was looking for reasons to dislike it.

If you are actually gaming with them and this isn't the case apologies for my strong language but that wasn't conveyed in their podcast.

No worries. Walker likes to be cantankerous from time to time and he leans into it in the podcast. He has played it since those first plays, but needs to be coerced into playing it now (sadly). At least he wears his biases on his sleeve :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mr. Squishy posted:

This is part of what i thought enfeebled it. You say "placing it on the board" dismissively but that's enough for me as that's the whole game (though can't you also commit tiles as reinforcements?). Instead each tile has some power of variable usefulness which is a large ding in terms of purity and ease of teaching.

Yeah it’s kinda dismissive. The whole point is that there’s a lot of actions and you can’t do enough of them. T&E and Stephenson’s rocket (and TTD for that matter) don’t need special tile power ups. Getting one point for a tile “investment” is enough of an incentive in such a low scoring game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

SettingSun posted:

Eh, yes and no. England just isn't anybody's friend, there's enough going on at higher difficulties that everybody is getting hosed one way or another (or five.)

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

SettingSun posted:

I was referring more to its ability to lay down wilds which keeps its part of the island totally clear. Unless you're playing England, where they'll build in empty spaces if there's enough buildings in adjacent spaces.

I just don't think losing out on that feature "kneecaps" Keeper. Even without that particularly good innate you are still looking at one of the best presence tracks in the game (if not the best) with a spirit that can easily place two presence a turn.

Once you stop trying to make Towering Wrath work you open up some really powerful possibilities. I try to replace it turn 2 or 3.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I disagree. Y&Y cleans up a lot of the exceptions from T&E which is a net positive in improving the overall flow of the game. The biggest thing for me is separating the duties of temples and settlements. In T&E the temples are necessary for both leader placement and resolving revolts, but in Y&Y the settlements are for placing leaders and temples for fighting conflicts. Each tile has its own distinct role like blue tiles chain down rivers (makes thematic sense) and green tiles let you draw from an open market (again, a good design decision because blind draws aren't favorable). They also cleaned up the weird exceptions in T&E for example the king sort of counted as a wild, collecting victory points if there's no like colored leader in a kingdom but Y&Y discards that to just add a wild resource which constantly drives the conflict forward. And lastly they greatly clean up conflicts especially wars where it's now kingdom vs. kingdom and you only get victory points for destroyed leaders, speeding up the game but also adding a small diplomatic element as a single player could have a vested interest in both kingdoms and has to choose which one to defend.

Y&Y feels like Knizia applied all his design elements from Samurai (IMO Knizia's best game flat out) into T&E. T&E's pacing can be all over the place because so much revolves around your draws and the timing of when tiles come out. Y&Y's pacing is far tighter and every design element makes every turn feel impactful. Even if you don't have a good play, one of your tiles is guaranteed to do something important.

e: If you want to talk about teaching, I sat down and taught Y&Y reading straight from the manual because everything works intuitively. Teaching T&E, even with a veteran player doing it, was a nightmare of "okay this thing works a little differently and is kind of weird, bear with me."

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 25, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I consider Y&Y just a step up in complexity specifically because every tile has more unique things they can do. I’ve had a lot of success teaching T&E to less experienced board gamers with no real problem and find that it teaches pretty fast. The only hangup is internal/external but I just setup a quick example and make sure they see the difference.

Hex tiles also scare off people for some reason but that’s not really something I’d fault Y&Y for. Also Y&Y is easily the more forgiving game for new players even if I think it’s slightly harder to teach (though still not bad).

Speaking of Knizia tile layers, I got trounced in a 2p Blue Lagoon the other night when the other player basically ignored goods except for opportune steals and just went full spread to islands and cut me off. It was refreshing and awesome as most of the games so far have been races for goods while also trying to spread.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 25, 2019

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The biggest reason that I didn't like Y&Y as much as T&E was due to being forced to use specific tiles for attacks. Being able to attack with all tiles in some way makes for a much more interesting game if you play aggressively (which I do). One of the issues with T&E is that if you don't draw red tiles, you can't do internals, and the issue is even worse with Y&Y because this issue also applies to externals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

The biggest reason that I didn't like Y&Y as much as T&E was due to being forced to use specific tiles for attacks. Being able to attack with all tiles in some way makes for a much more interesting game if you play aggressively (which I do). One of the issues with T&E is that if you don't draw red tiles, you can't do internals, and the issue is even worse with Y&Y because this issue also applies to externals.

But on the flip side, because everyone with a leader in a city has a say in that external conflict you can force a battle just to disrupt the status quo or soften it for a counter attack because only red tiles matter. I find the game even more aggressive but instead of having to rely solely on the number of like tiles I randomly drew I can usually expect another players' support if engaging a conflict means they get something out of it, or even better, if losing the conflict means they get screwed over.

It reminds me a lot of forced mergers in Indonesia, one of my favorite mechanisms in a board game, and I'll instantly gravitate to any game that lets me politicize the game state.