Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think maybe you get better (on average) captains when you buy ships from factions you have higher rep with?

Haven't tested it at all, just feels that way a bit. Could easily be confirmation bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Chomp8645 posted:

I think maybe you get better (on average) captains when you buy ships from factions you have higher rep with?

Haven't tested it at all, just feels that way a bit. Could easily be confirmation bias.
For me like 8 times out of 10 I'll get a captain that'll be able to auto-trade out the box which is nice. I'm just glad that you don't have to jump through hoops for auto trade like X3 made you.

Also, I wish there was a way I could have the flight assist off mode be a hold button rather than toggle. I like to cut the assists during dogfights periodically and pretend I'm a Viper pilot.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm it might be the confirmation bias you spoke of. I have pretty high rep <20 of each faction, but I can barely ever find a captain over 2 stars.

I remember the training school mod from the 2nd pack for Terran Conflict. I'm thinking it might be useful to create a super uber mining university of fun multiship management. edit maybe they get a bouncy balls room

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 22, 2019

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I think my economy is in the process of stalling. Many products are just not being bought anymore, and I'm worried that the gameworld may be hosed. Even stuff like spacefuel isn't being purchased ANYWHERE.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

most demand comes down to the production of spaceships. Figure out what's stalling ship building and start trading in that (or producing it).

Spacefuel is probably just saturated.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Falken posted:

I think my economy is in the process of stalling. Many products are just not being bought anymore, and I'm worried that the gameworld may be hosed. Even stuff like spacefuel isn't being purchased ANYWHERE.

This is possibly a stupid idea, but hang out personally in one of the border sectors. Pontifex's Claim is a good one. You will see plenty of giant space battles between the two paranid factions. If you want to spice things up a bit build a station there and let the NPCs supply the building materials, to pull in even more ships.

If ship building hasn't been hosed up in your game, then congrats you are stimulating the economy through disaster space capitalism.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
NPC ships refuse to buy Engine Parts. I built a factory between the Wharf and Shipyard in PAR space but if I want to sell them to keep the economy from stalling I have to make manual trade runs, because my own traders refuse to do the job as well. It's one of the must infuriating and frustrating things I've seen. No, don't go buy 84 Energy Cells, go sell the thousands of desperately needed Engine Parts for an extremely hefty profit!

When I tried removing them from the station and telling them to trade engine parts at a range of 0 they flew all the way to Antigone Memorial to buy and sell 20 at a time. Makes the game not worth the hassle if it's primarily an economy sim of a broken economy now that I've gotten my 150 hours of combat fun out of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lando131 posted:

No, don't go buy 84 Energy Cells, go sell the thousands of desperately needed Engine Parts for an extremely hefty profit!

Herein lies the problem, I think. Even when a wharf/shipyard is dead out of engine parts you really don't get anything close to "extremely hefty profit" for supplying them. They aren't tiny items, so you can't just haul a shitload of them in a go like energy cells or something. And it seems like even when you combine high supply at engine parts factory + out of stock at wharf you really can't ever get more than about 150 credits profit per unit. And that's the most ideal circumstances.

I think engine parts need to have their fundamental sell or buy price adjusted. Maybe the materials that go into them are too much. I dunno but whatever it is they seem inherently less profitable than most other goods even when there are severe shortages on the buying side with stock on the selling side.

I'm by no means an expert at this game but that's been my observation. If I'm actually a stupid idiot and don't understand then let me know. Namaste.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

It shouldn't be a concern considering the factory I have produces everything needed to make the parts and has miners assigned to it to provide all the materials. The Engine Parts are just the end product where the time and 'effort' is finally turned into credits. The entire purpose of having that factory is so I can maybe buy ships. Or even ammo, since not having engine parts means I can't buy missiles at that location! It could be that it's such an unprofitable item that the algorithms avoid them completely, but in an earlier save I had NPC ships beating down my door to buy smart chips from my factory.

My issue is that I can't even automate my own traders to sell them. If I want to supply the parts I have to enter manual trade orders every single time. My own ships have would rather buy 80 energy cells to supply the factory rather than sell the factories end product, which has several holds full worth of product ready to go and a buyer 20km away desperate for the product. poo poo's broke.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

No joke it's quite clear egosoft left out much of the player trades method. I mean just consider how hard it is to get one ship to follow another. They (egosoft) in the middle of a UI usability pendulum swing. Let's recall that 1 game ago they barely even allowed mouse gaming. Literally.. Remember X2 had NO mouse clicking?? In 2007 this series barely used mouse clicks. But they came a long way. Last go round they swung the opposite way and tried to turn the game into a dumb phone App. Now we are moving toward the middle I think, i hope.?..

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 26, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

most demand comes down to the production of spaceships. Figure out what's stalling ship building and start trading in that (or producing it).

Spacefuel is probably just saturated.

Seriously, I'll buy your spacefuel. But I don't there's a way for the economy to ever completely die. I bet if you're stagnating locally then the fuckin paranids or the teladis are doing something you haven't noticed. (once I found Argon Prime completely dead, not even ship husks laying around. Then I went to Holy Relic and found like 30 warships and factories with build orders for lots more. The only thing that ever seems to actually halt all local production is lack of ICEeeee. If things are that bad for you then grab some ICE and try to help get your economy going again. In x2+x3 even in X:rebirth to an extent it was always energy cells that would make or break everything economically. Because the suns (and their associated multiplier) seemed to be the economic throttle. It seems like the addition of Ice and gases has moved that up one more step up the economic chain.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 28, 2019

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Roadmap to 3.0:

https://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=146&t=413180

Egosoft posted:

Update 2.0

The next bigger update will bring, among other things, the ability to set up your own shipyards. Compete with the faction shipyards by selling ships to the war factions or build your own fleets. 

Another focus for 2.0 is to make crew training a bit easier. Crew and pilots gain experience by doing their jobs; more so in some areas than others. However, while the first two stars are very easy to gain, the progress slows down after that. Getting from the 3rd to the 4th star takes a LOT more experience than from the 1st to the 2nd.

We aim to release 2.0 in February. 

Update 2.50

With 2.50 we aim to bring a new ship type: Resupply ships. In short, they will work like a flying equipment dock and can form the backbone of a large fleet.

Linux version: We hope the Linux beta can start somewhere between 2.0 and 2.50 already but at the latest together with this update.

TrackIR/Tobii support: We know lots of people are asking us to support these tools and while testing may start before it again we aim that 2.50 should bring support at the latest.

Sector blacklists: This will allow you to set up sectors that your ships will avoid at all costs.

Another thing that we hope to pack into 2.50 is a series of improvements around managing inventory items. This includes the ability to create and drop crates in space and possibly also to store them on stations.

Update 3.0

As some of you may already have figured out, one cool feature of X4 is the ability to own entire sectors and even change their names. With 3.0 we aim to build upon this with a number of features to help you benefit from sector control. You can then basically become your own faction with your own set of rules.

For all updates, we are working on better missions. At the latest for 3.0 we plan to have a number of new and improved combat missions in particular. An area we want to combine this with is improved research (in the player HQ) and the ability to potentially even move the player HQ to a different location.

An early gameplay feature that 3.0 will improve is the ability to dock directly at station with a spacesuit and to get other NPC ships to transport you, by offering missions to them. 
With 3.0 at the latest, we want to have at least one new gamestart. There is a chance that this will have some interesting new features.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Useless 2 stars sure, but beyond that? It's gonna take a LOT more effort"' seems like a funny way to go about making staff skills 'a bit easier'

Maybe it's to delay how long it takes to be able to realize max piloting staff still have trouble docking?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Someone gifted me the deluxe version and I begged them to refund it... they didn't understand why I said I wasn't going to play the game for at least 6 more months.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm about to delve into the game. I see that there's a whole bunch of mods around. Is there a list of recommended ones or should I just bumble around in vanilla until I know what I want?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

bumble around in vanilla until I know what I want?

This is the tried and true X way

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Section Z posted:

"Useless 2 stars sure, but beyond that? It's gonna take a LOT more effort"' seems like a funny way to go about making staff skills 'a bit easier'

Maybe it's to delay how long it takes to be able to realize max piloting staff still have trouble docking?
Heh as someone who hated to the core the whole Terran conflict "Marine Boarding" thing to get slight lightly bigger than fighter ships, I always wondered why Egosoft spent so much time creating huge capships and then spent so much time preventing the player from ever possibly using them. (certainly when the storyline provided the Hyperion with it's 8 Forward HEPT) It amounted to spending 5 game hours to train up a marine crew then load all of them into a single missle, then shoot that missle and hope the dice roll let you capture the ship you wanted. The game play meant save scum, or give up. Yeah, it's silly. At least now they bother to address that there are ways to hire people. But I don't think we're gonna get ways to increase capture odds in a meaningful way. I'd like to append "till 3.0" but x5 is where egosoft will realize what players really really want. Or go out of biz. X5 will be a PS5/XboneSkeleton exclusive dual stick shooter, or it will be the many-dimensional economical RTS combo spacer shooter we wanted since we were 19 years old in 2001. After that they have nowhere else to go. They've already done a great job creating shiptypes and various factions, but they still spend way too much effort on poo poo nobody cared about.

edit: and let's face it, if you're in this thread you already bought into Star Citizen kept or refunded, yet you prolly already enjoy X4 more than your early access to that 4 years ago. That's the difference between making a fun but flawed game and making a fake but bullshit game. edit2: not to harp on it but I also really like the way Egosoft has approached the modular build of spaceships. Some people think it's lazy, but I think it makes total sense in the story of how these different factions create their ships. If you look back at x2 where the only differentiation was colors, and then x3 where it was textures and here-and-there geometry. Now we finally have factions building seemingly everything on their own. Borons (needing water tanks and special consideration). And Split canonicaly exhaling poison, are exotic races because it's expected that by now they should be. Egosoft figured out how to continue their canon in a way that Disney never did.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 28, 2019

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Game still busted?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Wrr posted:

Game still busted?
In 1.5 the fastest I saw the Teladi shipyard run out of engine parts was somewhat over an hour. Averaging an hour and 40 minutes for "Everyone but the Argons can't do their job" so sometimes I could squeak in a Vulture purchase.

Devs even asked for save file submissions over how quickly shipyards went to poo poo, I threw some their way.

In my first 1.6 start, Teladi ran out of engine parts and antimatter converters in 50 minutes.

It also gets tiring to say "Why can't the AI manage to do their job without player intervention. Are they lazy idiots?" only to be met with ":lol: why aren't you doing the job for the AI, are you a lazy idiot?". My Profitssss don't feel good when they come from taking advantage of the mentally handicapped

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 29, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Well all the parts are functional and in game it's just shifting AI priorities. Worst case someone makes a mod. There's probably 20-40 hours worth of play in the game right now and just nothing to do once you figure all the game systems well enough. It's a game people expect to throw 1000+ hours at though, but I think that much play time is going to have to wait for at least an expansion and possibly mods.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Section Z posted:

My Profitssss don't feel good when they come from taking advantage of the mentally handicapped

This game is a capitalism simulator so I have some really bad news for you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

pixaal posted:

Well all the parts are functional and in game it's just shifting AI priorities. Worst case someone makes a mod. There's probably 20-40 hours worth of play in the game right now and just nothing to do once you figure all the game systems well enough. It's a game people expect to throw 1000+ hours at though, but I think that much play time is going to have to wait for at least an expansion and possibly mods.

I think that if they introduce a lot of new space with the Split expansion it could significantly enhance the longevity of the game. A big problem presently is the map layout doesn't actually allow for much movement or variety in the war system, and the expansion plans definitely seem to be geared with the war system in mind. A whole pile of new sectors, ideally a bunch of empty or border ones, would greatly improve the game, I think. I would still suggest waiting if you're not sure. The game isn't bad, but it's definitely not utilizing its full potential.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Ew gross I definitely didn't buy into Star Citizen.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

PoopinClumpin posted:

edit: and let's face it, if you're in this thread you already bought into Star Citizen kept or refunded

these are fighting words

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

After letting the game run overnight in SETA mode the engine part problem resolved itself, and my 20x Smart Chip factory made me a ton of money. Whoever said that Engine Parts are poor money makers was correct. Sad, considering how important they are. It really does seem like the Argons can handle logistics but the other races can't. I almost wonder if they intentionally built Argon Prime to be able to supply everything needed to build ships but the other races are left to the whims of procedural generation.

Also I think there's a chance that my station based traders being idiots might be Working As Intended- now that the station manager has two stars in management I'm noticing my trade ship loading up engine parts and flying around looking for places to sell them. It might be that the management skill of a station manager has a lot to do with how quickly you can sell your product.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
how do you take over systems and rename them?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Taking over systems is done by owning a station with an administration module in that system. If someone else already has one, you will have to destroy it to claim the system (I think you only have to destroy the module rather than the whole station but I'm not sure).

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
To take over a system, after that, or in a system with none in the first place, you got to build an admin center thing, its got to be the first objext built, with a peir or dock added to that after.

Economy. smart chips, sillicone wafers on yo smart chip facs if you like.
gently caress them, let them sort out their own problems, just focus on profits. you want to get a builder ship with plenty of support crew, who gradually level up as the ship chugs around, make sure your minifacs have an xl dock on them, and populate the management from that builder ship, obv making sure they have a couple of stars in management, then give them a trade ship.
sometimes they will want a mining ship as well, in the case of smart chip/sillicone wafers facs, then they will also need a solid storage. if you have space, a couple of solar wings are always useful.

Taking Sca ships : Hi, Free destroyers. but the teladi seem to be a bit bothered, so anywhere but teladi space, if you see a destroyer thats -5 to you, knock out its engines, and then carefully remove the rest of the surface junk, then use a weak pew pew to encourage them to get off the ship, or try boarding, but that a dark art to me.

staberind fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 3, 2019

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010
2.00 is out with the promised shipyards and stuff

quote:

Version 2.00 Beta 1 HF1 1 (331614)

• New Feature: Player-owned stations with Shipyard, Wharf and Equipment Dock facilities.
• Added options to set custom name for savegames and to delete savegames.
• Added ware exchange between ships docked at the same station.
• Added possibility to start/stop travel mode and SETA while map is open.
• Added warnings about non-working venture modules due to station layout.
• Added fighter wings directly subordinate to carriers.
• Added display of partial skill stars to one third of a star accuracy.
• Added preview of ship storage capacity after all planned trades to info menu.
• Added trade menu warning that ware is not available after all planned trades.
• Added separate Remove all Orders and Wait option, replacing parameter to Remove all Orders.
• Added failure sound when invalid hotkey is used while map is displayed.
• Added confirmation before closing station build menu if there are unsaved changes.
• Added tooltip for greyed-out claim option to show reason.
• Added full Japanese localisation (text only).
• Improved Xenon threat.
• Improved turret aiming and target movement prediction.
• Improved combat movement of frigates.
• Improved combat movement of capital ships with good captains and crews that do not have forward-mounted weapons against other capital ships or stations.
• Improved capital ship combat movement against small and medium targets.
• Improved balancing of capital ship defensive and offensive capabilities.
• Improved balancing of capital ship use of boost during combat.
• Improved balancing of capital ship crews bailing when ship is attacked.
• Improved balancing of missiles.
• Improved balancing of ware prices and production profitability to emphasize smart business decisions.
• Improved target acquisition for ships, particularly when attacking stations or capital ships.
• Improved command information shown by attacking ships when attacking a subcomponent of a bigger target.
• Improved range over which ships that run out of ammo can look for a known equipment dock from which to re-stock.
• Improved kinds of stations requested from station building missions.
• Improved encyclopedia information for production and factions.
• Improved Logical Station Overview to show station's recommended budget instead of the currently needed money in account settings.
• Improved quickload hotkey (F9 by default) so it loads the latest saved game, not necessarily a quicksave.
• Improved playback logic for music tracks from previous games.
• Improved performance when working with very large stations.
• Improved menu performance.
• Fixed issues with target elements in the HUD in certain cases (e.g. when using "external view" through the map while standing on a ship/station).
• Fixed keyboard and gamepad selection not working in scrolling dropdown elements.
• Fixed previous/next target hotkeys and enemy targets sometimes not working when flying captured venture ships.
• Fixed previous/next surface element hotkey sometimes not working after loading a savegame.
• Fixed behaviour of autopilot shortcut in the map (now correctly toggles autopilot on guidance target).
• Fixed production modules sometimes not updating their animation when production starts/stops.
• Fixed research wares being listed in economy statistics of the HQ.
• Fixed storage types in encyclopedia not being localised.
• Fixed turret modifications breaking ship info menu.
• Fixed broken Logical Station Overview menu for stations missing a storage type and having no planned modules.
• Fixed broken menu when firing crew and then hiring new people in the ship buy/upgrade menu.
• Fixed missing title text in ship construction context menu in map.
• Fixed ship assignment not being queued correctly (possibly upsetting existing trade deals).
• Fixed deliver inventory mission not correctly placing the character in some situations.
• Fixed Bring Item mission offers not being removed properly if destination station or NPC was killed.
• Fixed several issues with Fleet Delivery mission.
• Fixed Scan mission not checking for destruction of target station module.
• Fixed Scan mission to require only normal scan rather than deep scan for station modules.
• Fixed missing guidance to station module in Scan mission.
• Fixed Passenger Transport missions to filter out incorrect stations.
• Fixed Find Lockbox mission to ensure containers remain in mission area.
• Fixed station ownership not being transferred in Build Station mission
• Fixed trade and pirate guild mission offers not changing over time.
• Fixed incorrect faction and other text for several dialog options and briefings in war missions.
• Fixed introductory mission of war subscriptions getting stuck.
• Fixed Holy Order outliers sometimes prematurely precipitating conflict with the Godrealm of the Paranid.
• Fixed attacking ships repeatedly approaching and retreating from target before getting close to it.
• Fixed ships moving out of pursuit distance to attack targets in their initial approach.
• Fixed ships attacking stations flying at and firing upon station target box instead of station modules.
• Fixed patrolling ships attacking build storage.
• Fixed ships showing excessive DPS when weapons are in more than one active weapon group.
• Fixed builder ships wandering into hostile territory.
• Fixed capital ship subordinates of carriers sometimes attempting to dock at their commander's ship.
• Fixed station-based trading ships setting their current sector as their home sector rather than their station's sector.
• Fixed ship/station operations being hampered by docked ships working for that ship/station not undocking while player is present.
• Fixed boarding ships that are missing ammo trying to disable boarding target anyway.
• Fixed formation skill checks not respecting the player being the pilot.
• Fixed another case of patrolling player-owned ships chasing hostiles beyond their engagement range.
• Fixed squadron subordinates apparently trying to attack ships from their own faction.
• Fixed player-owned ships sometimes inadvertently firing missiles depending on their weapon group setup.
• Fixed turrets set to Attack my Current Enemy not firing when they should.
• Fixed turrets set to Attack my Current Enemy firing when they shouldn't.
• Fixed ships attacking stations stopping their attack after destroying a station module or surface element.
• Fixed turrets on the player ship that are set to mining mode not firing on asteroids.
• Fixed boarding ships not launching boarding pods in certain situations.
• Fixed fleeing ships acquiring a target and attacking in certain situations.
• Fixed ships attempting to disable a target deliberately destroying it instead.
• Fixed ships with a Follow order not responding to certain situations.
• Fixed player-owned ships attacking friendly ships while patrolling player-owned space.
• Fixed non-police ships (including player-owned ships) sometimes responding to calls for police assistance.
• Fixed non-Xenon races not constructing defence stations.
• Fixed build storage of destroyed stations not being cleaned up.
• Fixed NPCs rubber-banding for a long time after loading a savegame in certain situations.
• Fixed NPCs getting stuck in elevator if player uses it while NPC is walking in it.
• Fixed NPC marshalling animations during player docking/undocking.
• Fixed multiple NPCs standing in the same position on some Argon bridges.
• Fixed cases of duplicate interior rooms on stations.
• Fixed frozen movement in bridges of docked capital ships.
• Fixed cargo trades with Black Marketeer sometimes failing.
• Fixed module hacking requirements not being respected.
• Fixed area damage not being correctly applied in certain situations.
• Fixed ships flying huge curves when going long distances.
• Fixed multiple shipyards attempting to fulfil the same NPC ship build requests.
• Fixed NPC ships sometimes requesting more subordinates to be built than they desired.
• Fixed stations not claiming sector ownership if claiming module is built later.
• Fixed turrets and shields not being added to station module when not part of a new module.
• Fixed station module stats and achievements not triggering with the first module of a station.
• Fixed station module recycling sometimes interrupting an ongoing build.
• Fixed recycle times of station modules.
• Fixed exploit where wares could be gained when recycling modules.
• Fixed inability to remove last remaining module when planning a station.
• Fixed not being able to cancel ship orders in some cases.
• Fixed total build time being off by up to one minute for some objects.
• Fixed onboard units not being factored into object value.
• Fixed inconsistencies with station hull values.
• Fixed stations not remembering their Drone/Unit supply settings.
• Fixed small ships failing to exchange wares with ships they can dock at.
• Fixed ships needlessly undocking to trade.
• Fixed faction discounts and commissions not being removed when relations worsen.
• Fixed transfer of crew from one role to another not being possible at shipyard/wharf/equipment dock if no other changes are made.
• Fixed EMP-induced signal leaks on unowned small and medium ships claiming them for the player when scanned.
• Fixed lasertowers spawning in wrong location when deployed from Elite.
• Fixed lasertowers potentially ending up in the exact same position in space.
• Fixed objects attracted with the container magnet sometimes getting an unreasonable speed.
• Fixed ships sometimes oscillating around target positions if SETA is active.
• Fixed ships docked at other ships sometimes appearing twice in the elevator menu.
• Fixed issue resulting in data leaks sometimes appearing inside station modules.
• Fixed roll input in highways steering in the wrong direction.
• Fixed inability to remap camera input control.
• Fixed not being able to load certain user-provided files (e.g. custom logos) with non-ASCII file names.
• Fixed floating geometry on the M-sized Beam Emitter Mk2.
• Fixed rare freeze related to player ship control.
• Fixed several causes of crashes.

Changes in Hotfix 1

• Fixed missing shipyard build module blueprint licences for players who had already undertaken ally ceremony (problem introduced in 2.00 beta 1).
• Fixed ware prices overrides to fit new ware price ranges (problem introduced in 2.00 beta 1).
• Fixed menu crash caused by out of range ware prices (problem introduced in 2.00 beta 1).
• Fixed crash which could occur when saving while certain station components are under construction (problem introduced in 2.00 beta 1).

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Oh drat, Apex Legends came out, Anthem's out in a couple weeks and now I gotta find time for a space empire as well? February's a hard month.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

these are fighting words

One time I ate my neighbor's poo poo - I still think it's worth lookin at .....whoa cannot stoppp plpopp! suggest plpopp!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

lagidnam posted:

2.00 is out with the promised shipyards and stuff

God drat!
Vanilla X4 is a draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.
I'm on my third vanilla game, started one on 150, restarted for 160, and now after a 53 or so hour session, (I'm sure there must be some blood left in my veins, its can't all be coffee by now.) in 2-beta, I'm at 15 mil, the requisitttttttttttttte gorgon, free, thanks fo rthat ego, and have just capped my first behemoth. the 160 save had me at about 27-29 or so faction standings with various flora and fauna. and now, in 2-beta i just hit 21 with the paranid.

So: how to piss fire and poo poo sucess.
step one, get the gently caress into your ship, some cocksuckers like argon prime, but, you will no doubt be scavving the gently caress out of xenon and kha'ak drops for those elusive parts of the seta, and that means you will probably have things in your massive space pocket that the spacecops will want you to poo poo out. Nah.
The teladi know what its about. almost everything teladi is poo poo looking, cheap, and has a bigger hold than other flavours of the same type. they also tend to give 0 fucks about whats in your pockitssssssss, hang out in teladi space and shoot asteroids with your little pew pew pew gun, you are not mining, let your peons do that poo poo for you later, you are doing the crystal method, hanging out with the other belt scum and waiting to spot a twinkle
When you see one, you go and facerub the asteroid you saw it on until you find some crystals, shoot them all off, suck them into your pocket, rinse, repeat, until you have a few hundred crystals. idgaf what colour they are, you just want lots of them, if you are lucky, you will have some pissy looking ones, lots of blues, and shittons of purps. Don't grind them up and snort them.
Purp (850cr - 1,150cr).
Blue (8,500cr - 11,500cr).
Pissy (17,000cr - 23,000cr).
Orangy (25,555cr - 34,500cr).
Cocaine (200,000cr - 300,000cr).
One single white crystal will get you another (badly fitted) small ship, a couple will get you a vulture vanguard, you will probably not find any, but who cares.

There are 3 Teladi trade stations. Ianimus Zura, Hewas Twin & Grand Exchange. again, the teladi dont gently caress about when it comes to the to & fro of credits, shop around until you have converted your crystals into credits,
in parallel to selling crystals, try to get the ingredients meat, fruit & spices and knock together some fine meals, {at the moment, the missions to use the fine meals and much else of the vendor dreck seem to be borked}
If you got lucky and found the seta parts, knock them together as well, in fact, as soon as you have all 3 parts drop, stop what you are doing and make one, unlike x3 and so on,
you carry it around and magically slot it into whatever ship you are sitting in.
When you have amassed a few mil, pay a visit to the ALI wharf and you have a few options. some miners (they don't need shields), some traders (oh ghod they need shields) or before either, you play captain roulette.
The cheapest ship hull in the game is surprisingly not Teladi,
For the love of R.Gunn, Save.
Buy a Vulture Vanguard. chose max settings, then strip and set it up as you and your wallet likes, buy, wait for it to be built, and check out your captain. if they can autotrade, (three stars) great. if not, reload.

Dont send it off to trade just yet, it can fit 13+ captain.
save again.
Buy some Elite Vanguards. choose the maximum setting loadout, then strip everything off them that you can, add to shopping list, then before you pay, just increase the number of ships to what you can afford,
you want a minimum of autotrade, so 3 stars, shuffle them off to your vulture, sell all your elites, save and try again till you have 5-6 vultures with a crew of maybe 6-13 three star plusses. obviously, you might want them to be tanky (Tel sheilds) and fairly rapid, (Paranid combat engines/travel engines) with a few lasertowers to vomit out as distractions while it escapes.or more ships with a minimum spec. the choice is yours.
then, when you find some random ships, or just convince the crews of some ships to give you theirs, you already have a decent captain to chuck into them.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Started playing this finally last week. I was never one to do a ton of empire building in X games. Usually just like running around, capturing enemy ships, acquiring a small fleet and employing some traders. Nothing fancy. For X4 I'm doing much the same and it's going alright so far.

That said, Combat feels somewhat lacking so far. I'm just in a Nova and nothing really causes much concern when I fight them. Hell I managed to take out a Xenon destroyer with some help from a couple other ships. The Destroyer couldn't hit me whatsoever. I remember in X3 them having flak cannons that could gently caress me up. Haven't noticed anything like that yet.

Setting up Sector and Galaxy traders feels somewhat unintuitive so far. Not sure if I'm doing it right. I have a 3 star pilot and when I tell him to auto trade and select a bunch of wares he usually just stays in Argon Prime, even though I told him he can go up to 5 sectors away for buying and selling.

Speaking of x starred pilots...it's annoying as hell to level them up. And those seminars you get from time to time do nothing. So I found a couple nice mods that make life a bit easier:

1. Train your employees using those seminars!

2. Tradable seminars with better prices!

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug
Another one if y'all might know: I set up a wing with my old Nova following my Eclipse Vanguard around. I have the Nova set to defend me.

For the life of me I cannot get it to use travel speed...so when I blast ahead it lags way behind. I've gone through the behaviors and can't seem to find anything I'm missing.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The biggest different to me with X3 to x4 combat is that there's less running into big poo poo randomly. In X3 I also felt basically invincible unless overwhelmed by same sized enemies or fighting something bigger.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Gorelab posted:

The biggest different to me with X3 to x4 combat is that there's less running into big poo poo randomly. In X3 I also felt basically invincible unless overwhelmed by same sized enemies or fighting something bigger.

Yeah good point. I mostly run into random Xenon Ns and Ms so far. I think I'm going to pick a fight with the Holy Order of the Pontifex. Should spice things up a bit.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Be careful, 1.6 suddenly ate my 1.5 save. I did all kinds of poo poo to try to recover but ended up starting over. I'd suggest grabbing your whole save folder C:\Users\cooldude69\Documents\Egosoft\X4\69696969 and copying it before you do the next update. edit: don't forget to feel bad about being a man, Gillette says so.

edit: to be clear- i noticed when bringing up the map yellow graphic artifact lines shot off all over the place even after rebooting and resetting the game. Tried going back as far as 20 prior savegames representing maybe 10-15 hours, still couldn't get anything to load up properly. I let Egosoft know about it but I don't know if it's self-inflicted or what. I haven't heard too many similar problems but better safe than sorry. If you have a long game time invested I suggest at least grabbing one xml (uncompressed, in game options) save to be safe.

PoopinClumpin fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 17, 2019

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

Gorelab posted:

I really hate and love both how big ships now "suck" you up along with them. In X3 it was so much fun to hide in a blind spot of some massive ship and just bang at it as long as you could manage maneuvers. But now they made it so anyone can do that. As long as you can avoid missiles. It's good and bad :/

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Cool little thing. I killed a criminal station ship thing which gives you a message after a minute or so. I happened to kill one, dock and find myself in the manager office before the message. The reward message came through and I could hear the station manager giving it to me in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I am waiting for this game to get fixes and better things to do for the end game before I start playing it again.