Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Generic American posted:

Pelosi said "President Bush" instead of Trump by accident one time like two years ago, and in typical "conservatives are masters of comedy" fashion, they have been running it into the ground hard enough that it has burrowed through the earth, come out of the other side, and is currently hurtling into space.

So something non lizard brains would not ever find funny?

Remember when that British guy who is afraid to go buy milk because he thinks he will be confronted by brown people said the Right was getting "better" at comedy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Pylons posted:

Do you.. really think this is a good thing to emulate considering that Obamacare did not get repealed?

the gop won control of every branch of government and also a bunch of state governments

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

ErIog posted:

You're shifting the time periods to suit your argument. They had full control of all 3 branches, and part of why is that they were very effective in demonstrating in the previous cycle what they wanted to do when they had that control.

Yeah, they lost the house in 2018, but only by a few dozen seats and because it turned out all the stuff they wanted to do or did do was massively unpopular.

Yeah, and when they were unable to do what they wanted and promised they lost control of Congress.

Besides that, Pelosi is like, a month into her speakership and she's been dealing with a shutdown government, so there's nothing to say that she's not going to be passing legislation through the house for left-leaning policies.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I’ll be pissed if they don’t impeach Justice Rapemonster though so let’s go with 1 SC seat

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert

ReidRansom posted:

Geez how old is the guy? If he was one of Reagan's goons, that was all 35 years ago, dude has to be over 70.

In other words, a spry young lad by Republican standards.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

the gop won control of every branch of government and also a bunch of state governments

And despite that they couldn't get Obamacare repealed and they lost control of the House and probably the Presidency after one term.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pylons posted:

I mean, not really? They lost the House and they're probably going to lose the Presidency. They wasted a reconciliation bill.

Today could possibly change the Senate in 2020. If every GOP Senator tied their futures with Trump, and Trump lost bigly today, their own futures are now in doubt. McConnell might be primaried in 2020, leaving his current position up for grabs.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Suffer

https://twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1088886425024712704

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As someone whose been critical of Pelosi I'm in a little in awe of her now.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

ok i'm done but this might be the most beautiful reddit post of all

pitiful how so many of these people pin so much on such a poo poo-tier leader and even sadder is how they give so much of a poo poo about someone who has effectively accomplished so little in office that's good

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Does this still need House approval or is it headed straight to the White House? Not that I expect house approval to be a problem, just thinking about the timetable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Pelosi has the pee tape.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

DLC Inc posted:

pitiful how so many of these people pin so much on such a poo poo-tier leader and even sadder is how they give so much of a poo poo about someone who has effectively accomplished so little in office that's good

I'd love a list of things they think he's done honestly. Besides senate appointing poo poo tons of chud judges.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

nerox posted:

I hope Trump pivots on the wall and wants a moat now.

"Rio Grande... that means Big River, a lot of people don't know that".

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

And despite that they couldn't get Obamacare repealed and they lost control of the House and probably the Presidency after one term.

Because Obamacare ended up being popular in the long run, as people like public benefits expansions. The Republicans lost on the merit of the policy, not because of leadership failure (although they certainly played their bad hand poorly).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Pylons posted:

Yeah, and when they were unable to do what they wanted and promised they lost control of Congress.

Besides that, Pelosi is like, a month into her speakership and she's been dealing with a shutdown government, so there's nothing to say that she's not going to be passing legislation through the house for left-leaning policies.

Pylons posted:

You're missing the goddamn point.

Yeah, the republicans have no platform and pissed away almost all their gains. That isn't what you should take away from what happened.

Instead, you need to realize that the republicans NEVER HAD A PLATFORM beyond "gently caress the libs", and they *still* managed to get all 3 branches of govt, a supreme court seat, and a swath of state govt positions. Saying they hosed the dog afterwards is immaterial to the fact that they got in a position to gently caress it all away.

So when someone says "hey I think Pelosi should be pushing out bills even if she expects them to die in the senate or on the president's desk in order to energize the base" they have a point. Also, Pelosi has been around a while, she was house minority leader starting in 2001, was speaker in 2007-2011, and then minority leader 2011-2019 (being minority leader or speaker depends on if dems held the house).

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Because Obamacare ended up being popular in the long run, as people like public benefits expansions. The Republicans lost on the merit of the policy, not because of leadership failure (although they certainly played their bad hand poorly).

Sorry no. Paul Ryan was the most ineffective piece of poo poo little weasel of a Speaker, and I'm glad his final legacy shot with this shutdown fell flat on its face like the rest of his joke of a "career"

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Today was the day Nancy Pelosi became President.

no mom very hungry
Oct 5, 2004

You are getting sleepy...

Lord Hydronium posted:

:clint:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lord Hydronium posted:

:hmmyes:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Pylons posted:

Well, if her past is anything to judge her by (and it is), she will need to be pressured to do these things. If she is not pressured everything will be mealy-mouthed means-tested neoliberal bullshit and it will make you sad if you are actually left or progressive.

Yeah, she managed to not gently caress up the shut down fight, but we should pay very close attention to the immigration policy negotiations and things after that. She's not suddenly a leftist now because she managed to win an issue the president literally handed to her live on national television that polling backed her up on.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mantis42 posted:

Shouldn't they have to experience democracy first before deciding that?

We don't have the luxury of time anymore to afford "occasionally" getting it wrong anymore.

It's fine if you "make the wrong choice" ordering a dish you never tried before at a restaurant (unless you die of food poisoning). It's not okay at all to keep getting it wrong when selecting leaders to guide the world through climate change and transitioning off late stage capitalism.

When a child makes a bad choice, you punish them then take that choice away from them in case they didn't lesson like the idiot child they are. Same thing with populations.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Fukken lol

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1088915777674186753

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pylons posted:

Ok, its an effective strategy AS LONG AS you don't make Donald Trump president.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

ZypherIM posted:

Their plan got them the house, and senate, and presidency, and managed to steal at least 1 supreme court seat.

Not to mention all the state level poo poo they won as well. If the republican party wasn't busy eating itself and had a platform beyond "gently caress the libs" they'd have been able to translate that into a crazy strong hold on govt.

The president being black got them most of that

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
At least 4channers have something to distract themselves with today

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1088919440765276160?s=21

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I’m either stoked that the Big Game will force the end of garbage month, or incredibly angry that the only thing that could possibly reopen the government was not broke government employees, but a loving sporting event.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ErIog posted:

Well, if her past is anything to judge her by (and it is), she will need to be pressured to do these things. If she is not pressured everything will be mealy-mouthed means-tested neoliberal bullshit and it will make you sad if you are actually left or progressive.

Yeah, she managed to not gently caress up the shut down fight, but we should pay very close attention to the immigration policy negotiations and things after that. She's not suddenly a leftist now because she managed to win an issue the president literally handed to her live on national television that polling backed her up on.

Giving the vociferous progressive freshmen a bunch of wishlist committee assignments is a pretty great sign.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

TulliusCicero posted:

Sorry no. Paul Ryan was the most ineffective piece of poo poo little weasel of a Speaker, and I'm glad his final legacy shot with this shutdown fell flat on its face like the rest of his joke of a "career"

I guess it would be debating a counterfactual, but I don't know how much more success a talented Speaker would have had in whipping together a toxic vote like ACA repeal. You're not going to hear me praising Paul Ryan's skill, but the Republican party's failures are largely due to their people hating their policy preferences.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

At least 4channers have something to distract themselves with today

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1088919440765276160?s=21

lol one of the people trolling them that was making GBS threads on them for being "dipshit journos" literally "twitch gamer" listed as his job as though that isn't a billion times more pathetic

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Concerted action by labor (specifically air traffic controllers) pushed this result, not Nancy loving Pelosi

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

We don't have the luxury of time anymore to afford "occasionally" getting it wrong anymore.

It's fine if you "make the wrong choice" ordering a dish you never tried before at a restaurant (unless you die of food poisoning). It's not okay at all to keep getting it wrong when selecting leaders to guide the world through climate change and transitioning off late stage capitalism.

When a child makes a bad choice, you punish them then take that choice away from them in case they didn't lesson like the idiot child they are. Same thing with populations.

Hm yes, sometimes democracy makes a mistake and you end up with an idiot like Trump as president for 4 years.

So let's scrap that and go with an authoritarian regime where an idiot like Trump could end up as dictator for life. Or an idiot like Maduro. Or Ferdinand Marcos.

Surely an improvement.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Concerted action by labor (specifically air traffic controllers) pushed this result, not Nancy loving Pelosi

The dunk doesn't happen without the person teeing it up, but sadly the dunker always gets the credit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I guess it would be debating a counterfactual, but I don't know how much more success a talented Speaker would have had in whipping together a toxic vote like ACA repeal. You're not going to hear me praising Paul Ryan's skill, but the Republican party's failures are largely due to their people hating their policy preferences.

Paul Ryan had constant problems from 2010 to 2016 herding the Freedom Caucus back into the fold every time there was even a half-way contentious vote, and they totally hosed him on several of his smaller projects, if not on his signature pieces of legislature (Obamacare repeal, tax cuts). This was partly because a Speaker's main tools for forcing compliance are awarding and revoking committee seats and the withholding or de-prioritizing of campaign fundraising, but Paul Ryan had real problems resorting to that last tool, because fractious Tea Party types could always run off and suck up to the Kochs to get more money.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yes.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
This loving piece of poo poo right here.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-domestic-violence-definition-change.html

The Slate posted:

"The previous definition included critical components of the phenomenon that experts recognize as domestic abuse—a pattern of deliberate behavior, the dynamics of power and control, and behaviors that encompass physical or sexual violence as well as forms of emotional, economic, or psychological abuse.

But in the Trump Justice Department, ONLY harms that constitute a felony or misdemeanor crime may be called domestic violence. So, for example, a woman whose partner isolates her from her family and friends, monitors her every move, belittles and berates her, or denies her access to money to support herself and her children is not a victim of domestic violence in the eyes of Trump’s Department of Justice."

Gray Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 25, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Paul Ryan had constant problems from 2010 to 2016 herding the Freedom Caucus back into the fold every time there was even a half-way contentious vote, and they totally hosed him on several of his smaller projects, if not on his signature pieces of legislature (Obamacare repeal, tax cuts). This was partly because a Speaker's main tools for forcing compliance are awarding and revoking committee seats and the withholding or de-prioritizing of campaign fundraising, but Paul Ryan had real problems resorting to that last tool, because fractious Tea Party types could always run off and suck up to the Kochs to get more money.

paul ryan was also a mondo idiot.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

ErIog posted:

Nancy Pelosi got single payer through the house. So, I don't know, read some history?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Democracy is vulnerable to manipulation and can deliver bad outcomes. Occasionally democracies willfully vote themselves out of existence. It sucks but the solution is to have safeguards for these things beyond decade to century long norms.

Also Hillary Clinton was the democratically elected president. Donald Trump was selected to be president by the undemocratic Electoral College.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So am I the only one who kind of wants to see Roger Stone run?