Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

kedo posted:

Is there such a thing as an open world, survival, first person, base-building game that takes place in a fantasy or medieval setting?

Wurm for an ancient cludgy thing that still sorta works, Conan Exiles for something that's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

McCloud posted:

Hello, I'm a recovering WoW addict. One of the big reasons I was playing WoW is to get cool looking gear and dress up my Paladin, and I'm looking for a fix.

Are there any games out there that features characters you can "dress up" in cool looking armor while playing? Bonus points for featuring knighty/paladiny type character. Third person is kind of a must because what's the point otherwise

The problem with the FF14 recommendation is that it will take you many many hours to get to the endgame and the game feels even slower than WoW. I recommend trying out Guild Wars 2 instead. To me that seemed like the natural evolution of the WoW formula.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

kedo posted:

Is there such a thing as an open world, survival, first person, base-building game that takes place in a fantasy or medieval setting?

Not first person but Dragon Quest Builders or Kenshi for two hilariously different games which both come close to this

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks all! I still play Minecraft semi-regularly on a private goon server. I’ve looked into Wurm before but it seems way too janky and grindy for my tastes. Last I tried Conan Exiles it was also pretty grindy, but I don’t think I gave it a fair shake. I’ll give it another shot.

I also was gifted Kenshi recently but haven’t tried it because I’m a little tired of the post apocalyptic setting in these types of games, it doesn’t really ring any fantasy bells for me.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

McCloud posted:

Hello, I'm a recovering WoW addict. One of the big reasons I was playing WoW is to get cool looking gear and dress up my Paladin, and I'm looking for a fix.

Are there any games out there that features characters you can "dress up" in cool looking armor while playing? Bonus points for featuring knighty/paladiny type character. Third person is kind of a must because what's the point otherwise

Kingdom of Amlur is basically a single player mmorpger.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
What are some good Final Fantasy Tactics-esque games? I'm playing Voidspire Tactics right now, and the subclassing system is just deep enough to feel good. It helps that the maps are full of hidden loot to find. I kindof wish terrain had a greater role but RPGs almost never include terrain in the gameplay these days anyway.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

McFrugal posted:

What are some good Final Fantasy Tactics-esque games? I'm playing Voidspire Tactics right now, and the subclassing system is just deep enough to feel good. It helps that the maps are full of hidden loot to find. I kindof wish terrain had a greater role but RPGs almost never include terrain in the gameplay these days anyway.

There's the Disgaea games, where terrain through Geo Panels sometimes constitute an optional puzzle on the map that can activate dirty tricks, make you ridiculously powerful, etc.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Hey thread. I could use recommendations for PS4 games suitable for a 10yo. He likes the Lego games, assorted shooters, Roblox (whatever that actually is) and anything that lets him customise his characters. I was considering that Skylanders thing and Lego City Undercover, but idk, there's such a massive volume of games available that I'm probably missing something obvious. Suggestions anyone?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ROCKET LEAGUE

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pipski posted:

Hey thread. I could use recommendations for PS4 games suitable for a 10yo. He likes the Lego games, assorted shooters, Roblox (whatever that actually is) and anything that lets him customise his characters. I was considering that Skylanders thing and Lego City Undercover, but idk, there's such a massive volume of games available that I'm probably missing something obvious. Suggestions anyone?

My son is 9 and I have been through the Skylanders / Disney Infinity / Lego Dimensions trauma and while it's all good stuff, if he likes customising characters (mine loves this too) then none of these are really any good imo.
The customisation mainly comes from the physical items, not an in game dress up type deal. I am working on getting rid of a load of that stuff now as it is gathering dust.

Things he has actually stuck with are Roblox (I am bewildered by how poo poo this is and how much kids love it) Minecraft (with the character skin packs) and currently he is loving Spiderman as it comes with loads of various suits to unlock.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

ROCKET LEAGUE

he has that on PC (the spoiled little poo poo :-3).

peter gabriel posted:

My son is 9 and I have been through the Skylanders / Disney Infinity / Lego Dimensions trauma and while it's all good stuff, if he likes customising characters (mine loves this too) then none of these are really any good imo.
The customisation mainly comes from the physical items, not an in game dress up type deal. I am working on getting rid of a load of that stuff now as it is gathering dust.

Things he has actually stuck with are Roblox (I am bewildered by how poo poo this is and how much kids love it) Minecraft (with the character skin packs) and currently he is loving Spiderman as it comes with loads of various suits to unlock.

Okay, good knowledge, thanks. (And yeah, Roblox looks frigging awful, and seems to run in JavaScript or something? I'm as mystified as you!) i think Spiderman is bundled with his console anyway. It's a given that I'll be getting him PS+ and Nidhogg 2 (he'll love Nidhogg), but I'd like some physical disks to wrap up as well...Maybe I'll get SW: Battlegrounds, because he does love those Star Wars.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pipski posted:

he has that on PC (the spoiled little poo poo :-3).

Okay, good knowledge, thanks. (And yeah, Roblox looks frigging awful, and seems to run in JavaScript or something? I'm as mystified as you!) i think Spiderman is bundled with his console anyway. It's a given that I'll be getting him PS+ and Nidhogg 2 (he'll love Nidhogg), but I'd like some physical disks to wrap up as well...Maybe I'll get SW: Battlegrounds, because he does love those Star Wars.

I got mine that new Starlink, which is a bit like Skylanders etc as it's physical items, ships that clamp on to your controllers, he likes this but I feel it may go on the pile of other crap at some point, it is nice high quality stuff though and the game seems really fun (it's like an odd Starfox / No Mans Sky mash up with a fun story, if he likes Star Wars I think this may go down well).

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/home - It made a really nice gift to unwrap and we have had fun so far.

Do you have a Switch? I got some Labo stuff and that's been a blast!

Edit: If he is crazy about Star Wars then the Disney Infinity Star Wars is a legit good game, and while the servers no longer exist the single player / toybox works and all the figures are cheap now, and well made

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 17, 2019

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I got mine that new Starlink, which is a bit like Skylanders etc as it's physical items, ships that clamp on to your controllers, he likes this but I feel it may go on the pile of other crap at some point, it is nice high quality stuff though and the game seems really fun (it's like an odd Starfox / No Mans Sky mash up with a fun story, if he likes Star Wars I think this may go down well).

https://starlink.ubisoft.com/game/en-gb/home - It made a really nice gift to unwrap and we have had fun so far.

This looks ideal - thanks! :-)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Pipski posted:

This looks ideal - thanks! :-)

This did so poorly on launch (bad timing and not being fortnight... it's actually a decent game) that they've dropped the price from £70 to £20. So don't pay any more than that. Probably trying to shift some of the add-on stuff for it to recoup losses. I picked it up for Gravy Jr (11) and he likes it a lot.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Gravy Jones posted:

This did so poorly on launch (bad timing and not being fortnight... it's actually a decent game) that they've dropped the price from £70 to £20. So don't pay any more than that. Probably trying to shift some of the add-on stuff for it to recoup losses. I picked it up for Gravy Jr (11) and he likes it a lot.

Hey, Gravy. I'll get the coop mount just in case he needs any help with it. ;-)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My father in law bought it so unsure what it cost, good to know there are deals to be had, it really is a decent game as well from what I've played so far, good coop - You can set your ship to auto follow the other player so it's awesome to do that while my son explores, means you don't have to be 100% focused on the game all the time to stick together

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

McCloud posted:

Monster Hunter franchise?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McCloud posted:

Elder Scrolls Online. Warframe. MH:World, Destiny 2

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I'm looking for more games that have a sort of optional homebase progression. By that I mean, oh, if you ever played Robin Hood for the NES, although that was pretty linear, but I loved the way every few missions you'd come back and your home base got bigger. Other games that I think of, recently is Pillars of Eternity, Ni No Kuni 2, Suikoden (I think; I've not actually played it). Also, in a similar vein is the pirate recruitment in Skies of Arcadia. I guess I'm mostly thinking about RPGs, but maybe not strictly so. I guess this is kind of a thing in roguelikes/lites but I'm trying to find games that go along side a long narrative, or adventure or whatever.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Darkest dungeon and I think the new pathfinder game have base management.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember if the first BoF has something like it, but starting from BoF 2 each game has you able to help build up a town. In BoF 2 I think you're supposed to find people looking to move to the town, then upgrade it to their satisfaction to get some good stuff, while in 3 and 4 you help a colony of pixies grow after they've fallen on hard times.

Also Act Raiser, Soul Blazer and Terranigma have you help develop towns in some way or another. It's a lot more central to the story in Act Raiser and Soul Blazer, but it's still pretty important in Terranigma.

e: oh, while in many ways the game is kinda clunky (though a lot of fun IMO), I really loved how the town developed in Azure Dreams, an oldie mystery dungeon game for the PSX

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 25, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

I'm looking for more games that have a sort of optional homebase progression. By that I mean, oh, if you ever played Robin Hood for the NES, although that was pretty linear, but I loved the way every few missions you'd come back and your home base got bigger. Other games that I think of, recently is Pillars of Eternity, Ni No Kuni 2, Suikoden (I think; I've not actually played it). Also, in a similar vein is the pirate recruitment in Skies of Arcadia. I guess I'm mostly thinking about RPGs, but maybe not strictly so. I guess this is kind of a thing in roguelikes/lites but I'm trying to find games that go along side a long narrative, or adventure or whatever.

Assassin's Creed 2. You slowly pump money into restoring a whole Italian villa and it's pretty rad.

Also The Division has you incrementally building up a base as you go through the main missions.

Skyrim has the Hearthfire content, where you can build up to three homesteads, constructing and furnishing each room by way of crafting recipes (or just tell your steward to do it).

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 25, 2019

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Darkest dungeon and I think the new pathfinder game have base management.

How is the new pathfinder game now? I was interested in but early feedback put me off.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

credburn posted:

If you're thinking RPGs, I'd sort of second Breath of Fire 2, if only because I remember the town building kind of fondly, it's not at all central to the plot though. Suikoden 1&2 definitely have a home base aspect to them, really most of the game is accumulating your 108 friends who hang out in your castle. So the base itself doesn't change drastically (that I can recall), but it does get steadily more populated. And maybe only a third, varies by game, of those 108 are characters can end up in your active party, a big portion of them exist purely to add shops or minigames or whatever to your base. The rest of the main series Suikodens may have this too, I actually haven't played the rest. I will say, watching my wife play the kingdom building parts of NNK2 definitely made me think of both Suikoden and Actraiser, though they're all substantially different.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MockingQuantum posted:

If you're thinking RPGs, I'd sort of second Breath of Fire 2, if only because I remember the town building kind of fondly, it's not at all central to the plot though.

It actually kind of is.

You need to recruit all of the townsfolk and complete their individual quests to get the good ending.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It actually kind of is.

You need to recruit all of the townsfolk and complete their individual quests to get the good ending.

This is true, I guess it's better to say it's not at all central to the gameplay for the majority of the game, in the way base-building is in a lot of the other games mentioned. The game is still mostly a linear plot-centric RPG so I wouldn't want someone going into it thinking that it was all about base-building.

That said I think Homestead is one of the coolest parts of the game so it's central to my memory of the game, for sure.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm looking for something on the chiller/simpler end of base-building/base defense on PC, more colorful aesthetic is a plus. I loved Stronghold et al back in the day, tried They Are Billions which was frustratingly difficult, and Castle Story seems to be a bust at this point. Rimworld is good but a bit involved and requires a lot of micromanagement, and Oxygen Not Included drove me off the rails and into slow death so many times that I stopped finding it fun. Kenshi was fun but very slow paced and ugly.

Like, I want to manage resources, but I don't want to have to be an electrical engineer or juggle the individual psychoses of 50 subversive little anarchists, you know? And I like the idea of external threats to the base/city/whatever but having to be a grognardy military genius isn't appealing to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I'm looking for something on the chiller/simpler end of base-building/base defense on PC, more colorful aesthetic is a plus. I loved Stronghold et al back in the day, tried They Are Billions which was frustratingly difficult, and Castle Story seems to be a bust at this point. Rimworld is good but a bit involved and requires a lot of micromanagement, and Oxygen Not Included drove me off the rails and into slow death so many times that I stopped finding it fun. Kenshi was fun but very slow paced and ugly.

Like, I want to manage resources, but I don't want to have to be an electrical engineer or juggle the individual psychoses of 50 subversive little anarchists, you know? And I like the idea of external threats to the base/city/whatever but having to be a grognardy military genius isn't appealing to me.

Creeper World
Harvest: Massive Encounter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Riatsala posted:

Dungeon Keeper, maybe? Or one of the recent remakes / spiritual sequels. War For the Overworld is an extremely close recreation of Dungeon Keeper 2, and it's pretty solid, although it chugs a little on older machines and it doesn't really take any risks from a design standpoint.

I haven't played the Dungeons series, but some people seem to prefer it, and it's apparently a little more distinct in terms of gameplay.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 25, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dungeon Keeper, maybe? Or one of the recent remakes / spiritual sequels. War For the Overworld is an extremely close recreation of Dungeon Keeper 2, and it's pretty solid, although it chugs a little on older machines and it doesn't really take any risks from a design standpoint.

I haven't played the Dungeons series, but some people seem to prefer it, and it's apparently is a little more distinct in terms of gameplay.

I loved Dungeon Keeper when I was a youngin', so I'll have to check that out, thank you.

Follow up: I also have a Switch, is Dragon Quest Builders cool and good? I find JRPGs to be a little grindy and tiresome at times, but I like the way this looks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Riatsala posted:

I've been poking at Evil Genius again which certainly falls under the colorful criteria. Even if I'm lamenting the fact there is no fast forward/Run while not the primary window.

But interrogating people by doing the Michael Jackson dance moves to unlock the secrets of housekeeping remains a treasure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbbkh8G8Zts

For all the janky bits I've also always appreciated the fact my impractical desire to give fodder nice things, can be turned into a viable gameplay strategy of 'innocent front' to waste the time of most random snoops. So long as you remember what seemingly innocent household objects will piss off government agents :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 25, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Assassin's Creed 2. You slowly pump money into restoring a whole Italian villa and it's pretty rad.

It's weird, that was a great part of AC2, and the only game later in the series that really followed up on it was AC3, where you built a homestead into a bit of a town with full quests and cutscenes for building up your relationship with your citizenry. Otherwise, maybe the worst game in the series.

Bastion has an element of this, building up the Bastion in a couple ways towards the end of the game. Breath of the Wild has a sidequest for building up a town, and Dragon Quest Builders is all about building up your central village.

There's the Logical Journey of the Zoombinis, which doesn't have a story of any real kind, but every time you finish your journey with a pack of Zoombinis, they build up the long-fabled Zoombiniville up a little more. Kinda like if Oregon Trail had a campaign where you could see everyone who made it to Oregon. It was a real interesting premise to the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I haven't played fallout 4 but I understand it has a base building aspect? Or is there a reason no-one has suggested that yet

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Splicer posted:

I haven't played fallout 4 but I understand it has a base building aspect? Or is there a reason no-one has suggested that yet

Fallout 4's base building just isn't great, because it's a small part of a much larger game. The amount of materials used and the pace at which things happen are both totally balanced around you spending the vast majority of your time on all the other bits of the game, and setting aside the question of whether it's actually any good (I think it's like a 6-7/10 game), that's not really what you're looking for in a base building game. It's also just not fleshed out enough. Juggling the resources and defence are very easy and surface level that don't offer much engagement. You can build some really cool looking bases in it, but there's not that much to actually do with them. It's more like playing minecraft or something than an actual basebuilding game.

I guess there's probably mods to make it much better at this point? I've not really delved deep enough to find out.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Deformed Church posted:

I guess there's probably mods to make it much better at this point? I've not really delved deep enough to find out.

There's a very impressive mod called Sim Settlements that can be pretty extensively configured to be more hands-on or hands-off, according to the player's preferences, and has quite a bit of depth compared to the vanilla system. Granted, it's still probably not enough to base the whole game around it, but it does revamp it significantly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's weird, that was a great part of AC2, and the only game later in the series that really followed up on it was AC3, where you built a homestead into a bit of a town with full quests and cutscenes for building up your relationship with your citizenry. Otherwise, maybe the worst game in the series.
Black Flag had you building up your pirate cove too.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought The Division was a multiplayer game... like, slow Counter-Strike.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

I thought The Division was a multiplayer game... like, slow Counter-Strike.

That's Rainbow 6 Siege.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Riatsala posted:

I loved Dungeon Keeper when I was a youngin', so I'll have to check that out, thank you.

Follow up: I also have a Switch, is Dragon Quest Builders cool and good? I find JRPGs to be a little grindy and tiresome at times, but I like the way this looks.

I was going to suggest just that if it was an option! It's a really charming and relaxed little game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I really enjoyed DQ Builders as well. The sequel is out in Japan and will release in the West sometime this year.