Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Liquid Communism posted:

Just mostly pointless, because none of the plot has resolutions that aren't 'gently caress it, I gotta genocide this faction'.

high CHA gets you more money from quests and selling your bottles of water that your player settlements of 30 people pump out like crazy cause you've got high CHA

in every other fallout game charisma was always the dump stat cause you could just jack up barter/speech skills and pass every talky-talk check with only having 1 charisma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

my charisma playthrough of 4 was pretty fun. the pacify moves were awesome but it really sucked having your character go AH AH AH everytime you used it. gently caress all this fo4 chat this is making me want to rush through whatever the main quest of 76 is and play 4 again

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
How do I get to Black Mountain without getting merked by deathclaws? I'm trying from the north and whoa lordy there are a lot of deathclaws.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Reality Winter posted:

How do I get to Black Mountain without getting merked by deathclaws? I'm trying from the north and whoa lordy there are a lot of deathclaws.

Do it from the south instead (through Sloan). Sneak along the rocks on the right. Hope you like scorpions.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Flytrap posted:

Ah darnit. One day a game will let me lead a terrifying robot rebellion...

...guess I can just eradiacate all organic life myself after I've done everything.

You should look into the Automatron DLC then, that lets you make an a bunch of hosed up robots. Also you will be fighting a mad scientist who is doing exactly that.

e; and with fighting i mean make friends with

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

This fellow will be delighted to know theres probably a mod for that

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
Fallout General & 76: Can't romance the robots, even the sexy ones.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Berke Negri posted:

high CHA gets you more money from quests and selling your bottles of water that your player settlements of 30 people pump out like crazy cause you've got high CHA

in every other fallout game charisma was always the dump stat cause you could just jack up barter/speech skills and pass every talky-talk check with only having 1 charisma

I think 1 and 2 had your max number of followers be something like CHA/2, or something? Not a huge thing, but still.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bofast posted:

I think 1 and 2 had your max number of followers be something like CHA/2, or something? Not a huge thing, but still.

I'm pretty sure you can bring all of them along together in 1 regardless of CHA, but the question is why would you want to

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

heard u like girls posted:

You should look into the Automatron DLC then, that lets you make an a bunch of hosed up robots. Also you will be fighting a mad scientist who is doing exactly that.

e; and with fighting i mean make friends with

Doing the final quest of the Automaton DLC while dressed as the Silver Shroud is literally the best part of Fallout 4

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Rappaport posted:

I'm pretty sure you can bring all of them along together in 1 regardless of CHA, but the question is why would you want to

The number of How many you can have once is charisma/2. So cha 2 you can still pick Almost anyone but can only have 1. Cha 10 or 8+magnetic personality you can have Marcus sulik cassidy vic and Skynet at the same time which equals to 1 plasma rifle, 3 gauss rifles and a super sledge at your disposal. Thats about a deathclaw per turn as far as how much you can count them killing.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Doing the final quest of the Automaton DLC while dressed as the Silver Shroud is literally the best part of Fallout 4

All of the Silver Shroud stuff is hilarious yea.

YOUR REIGN OF TERROR ENDS HERE EVIL DOER !!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rappaport posted:

It just wouldn't be the same without the possibility of 2-3 companions shooting you in the back during combat :colbert:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

heard u like girls posted:

All of the Silver Shroud stuff is hilarious yea.

YOUR REIGN OF TERROR ENDS HERE EVIL DOER !!!

My worry is that Bethesda will read everyone's enjoyment of that and go overboard with it in future games like they did the pipboy.

Yeah yeah praise to the pip, the one true light in the darkness of the end of the world.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Valtonen posted:

The number of How many you can have once is charisma/2. So cha 2 you can still pick Almost anyone but can only have 1. Cha 10 or 8+magnetic personality you can have Marcus sulik cassidy vic and Skynet at the same time which equals to 1 plasma rifle, 3 gauss rifles and a super sledge at your disposal. Thats about a deathclaw per turn as far as how much you can count them killing.

Where can you recruit Marcus, Sulik, Cassidy, Vic and Skynet in Fallout 1?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

As Nero Danced posted:

My worry is that Bethesda will read everyone's enjoyment of that and go overboard with it in future games like they did the pipboy.

Yeah yeah praise to the pip, the one true light in the darkness of the end of the world.

Starfield is just them ripping off Space Quest and Roger Wilco wholesale.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rappaport posted:

You can't, Ian killed them.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Rappaport posted:

Löl thought we Were talking 2. Yea in 1 companions Arent important.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So question. In FO4 how far can the damage reduction perk take me? I can't spend ALL my time in power armor, just not enough cores for it. So I found this really loving sweet looking Wasteland Helmeted Armor that perfectly fits the mad wasteland science monster aesthetic...but it's weaker than my random hodgepodge of poo poo I had lying around and sadly I can't find a mod on the PS4 that lets me mod armor sets.

So how long do you think I'll be able to run around in this before hating myself for choosing fashion over function?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Bofast posted:

It just wouldn't be the same without the possibility of 2-3 companions shooting you in the back during combat :colbert:

God damnit Ian.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Bofast posted:

I only played a tabletop roleplay game once, and I did that to one of my friends. In my defense, I was playing a maniac sorcer, and he was between me and a door that I wanted to destroy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Starfield is just them ripping off Space Quest and Roger Wilco wholesale.

Bethesda trying to make Space Quest style parody games would be really cringeworthy

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tei posted:

I only played a tabletop roleplay game once, and I did that to one of my friends. In my defense, I was playing a maniac sorcer, and he was between me and a door that I wanted to destroy.

We find the defendant... not guilty, your honor.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rappaport posted:

Ian basically doubles your combat power when you get him. Tycho is more tanky than Ian and can use shotguns. Dogmeat is a straight up murderbot. All three are useful in Sandy Sands, Vault 15, Junktown, The Hub, Necropolis and the Raider camp. It's only really Boneyard, Cathedral and the Military Base where they are outclassed. So most of the game they are kinda useful.

Katja is garbage, she is a late game character that basically dies in the first combat she gets in.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I don’t recall much of fo1 but if I recall the dialogue window for companions was clunky as hell

Actually fo1 was clunky as hell overall

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

That I will agree with

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Furia posted:

I don’t recall much of fo1 but if I recall the dialogue window for companions was clunky as hell

There was nothing hardcoded for companions in Fallout 1. Everything about them was done with the standard NPC scripting tools as a last minute addition. Which kinda is the story of Fallout 1 and 2. Hell they completely made Fallout 1 without copy and paste being a thing for the map editor. Every single tile in Fallout 1 was hand placed.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Flytrap posted:

So question. In FO4 how far can the damage reduction perk take me? I can't spend ALL my time in power armor, just not enough cores for it. So I found this really loving sweet looking Wasteland Helmeted Armor that perfectly fits the mad wasteland science monster aesthetic...but it's weaker than my random hodgepodge of poo poo I had lying around and sadly I can't find a mod on the PS4 that lets me mod armor sets.

So how long do you think I'll be able to run around in this before hating myself for choosing fashion over function?

Depending on where you go on the map, it can be rough. And yeah that armor looks great if its the one im thinking of.

Just go for it. Get some sneaking skill and such. Become the pip boy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ugh I got kneebreaker on a melee weapon last night. It’s so loving OP on a gun that can shoot auto. Just a disappointment on a melee in survival mode.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Flytrap posted:

Pretty drat far, but there's another way. I'm going to spoiler this just in case you want to discover it for yourself but:

If you become a member of the Railroad and undertake the basic quests and then a quest each from PAM and Tinker Tom and talk to Tinker Tom afterwards, you'll unlock an armor mod called Ballistic Weave. It can't go on everything (Army Fatigues and Military Fatigues are good ones, plus any hat that can take them), and you'll need to level up your Armorer perk as high as possible to take full advantage of it, but it can get you some very solid armor

That said, The more you poke around every location, you will eventually be swimming in cores. I know I've gotten up to 90 or so in storage and I didn't even finish that playthrough.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Flytrap posted:

FO4 power armor really sucks imo and I never used it.
Learn the armor padding craftable from Railroad (after doing some quests for crazy vendor guy) and stick it in underarmor clothes like Army Fatigues that allow you to equip any armor piece over it. That's a ~100 kinetic+energy armor at tier V right there.
Stick combat armor pieces on top of it, the best one is the assault marine type from Far Harbour but heavy Synth does fine, too. Craft the ultra-light mods for them.
You can take the armor talents even on top of that if you like, but they are not great value for piddly 50/40 armor if you do the above. I'd go for Ghoulish 3 (perma rad regen) and life giver 3 (life regen) for quality of life.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 27, 2019

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Flytrap posted:

If you're not playing on survival, then it'll do well enough. Survival is tricky but honestly with the damage numbers you get in there it isn't difficult to kill the vast, vast majority of enemies before they can even shoot back.

Power Armor in FO4 is actually extremely, extremely good but it breaks crazy fast so I always preferred to simply use some good fiberglass combat armor instead.

khy fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 28, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

sauer kraut posted:

FO4 power armor really sucks imo and I never used it.
Learn the armor padding craftable from Railroad (after doing some quests for crazy vendor guy) and stick it in underarmor clothes like Army Fatigues that allow you to equip any armor piece over it. That's a ~100 kinetic+energy armor at tier V right there.
Stick combat armor pieces on top of it, the best one is the assault marine type from Far Harbour but heavy Synth does fine, too. Craft the ultra-light mods for them.
You can take the armor talents even on top of that if you like, but they are not great value for piddly 50/40 armor if you do the above. I'd go for Ghoulish 3 (perma rad regen) and life giver 3 (life regen) for quality of life.

This is what I was talking about above. Don't forget that there are also several hats that can take the armor mod which is a huge boost over any other helmet in the game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Fallout 76 is getting a patch tomorrow morning.

For unexplained technical reasons, they are dropping their previous 'PC, then Console' schedule and will be taking all platforms offline and patching them at the same time. Patch notes will provided once all servers are offline.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wonder what major security flaw they found and haven't warned anyone about...

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I wonder what major security flaw they found and haven't warned anyone about...

Total guess, Atom shop transactions weren't encrypted and CC info has been breached. Every customer since launch who bought a skin has been exposed.

They'll give a free potted plant object to be placed in settlements as a way of apology.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If they're taking it seriously it likely affects Bethesda information or sales, not something that hurts customers. Maybe a way to get cash shop stuff free?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

As Nero Danced posted:

Total guess, Atom shop transactions weren't encrypted and CC info has been breached. Every customer since launch who bought a skin has been exposed.

They'll give a free potted plant object to be placed in settlements as a way of apology.

Other theory:

Maybe Fallout 76 is hackable in a way that expose PS4 / Sony internal information, allowing to use it to pirate games. That would move poo poo quick. loving quick, because Sony would apply all their weight on it.

corn in the bible posted:

If they're taking it seriously it likely affects Bethesda information or sales, not something that hurts customers. Maybe a way to get cash shop stuff free?

Sadly, this is he most likelly. A way to get all the atom shop stuff for free.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Tei posted:

Maybe Fallout 76 is hackable in a way that expose PS4 / Sony internal information, allowing to use it to pirate games. That would move poo poo quick. loving quick, because Sony would apply all their weight on it.

If that were the case why would they be updating the PC version as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

maybe Bethesda finally threw some weight and told Sony and Microsoft to pound sand on console patch certs