Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
What the hell happened in the tag of this last episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

bartlebee posted:

What the hell happened in the tag of this last episode?

That was Lia in some facility. One of the stories Charlie told was true.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 17, 2018

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Spoilers for Limetown novel, explaining Lia's situation: Emile first met Allison Haddock at a research facility in Colorado called "The Eldridge," which was one of the early research facilities run by Oskar Totem. It studied people with unusual mental powers that he referred to as "precipients." Some, like Oskar, were mind readers. Some, like Allison, had dreams that could be seen as premonitions.

The Precipient thing is where the "tell me about your dreams" thread comes from. For some time, Emile was an "interviewer" at the Eldridge, where he would probe the minds of the other precipients while they told him about their dreams. He does this right up until he's imprisoned and forced to participate in experiments against his will, at which time he's rescued by Allison.

The research at the Eldridge, and then at another facility in Melbourne called "Menninger" (where Oskar eventually used Emile's abilities in the treatment of individuals with severe mental illness) was part of a larger scheme of Oskar's that went beyond the Limetown technology to study something he referred to as "telos." This was as much of a religious pursuit for Oskar as it was scientific.

Lia clearly inherited her mother's abilities, and one of the reasons IDS wanted her was because of practical applications for creating new technology, or possibly furthering Oskar Totem's larger overarching work to different ends. At least for some time, it appears she was kept at the Menninger facility.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 17, 2018

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Is this the end of Limetown? Because I was a little o_O at the ending

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I seriously doubt it. The creators have been consistently referring to this as the Season finale on Twitter, but who knows?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Limetown has good drama but hmm. I don’t like how they turned an investigative reporter story into what is essential an X-men story. I mean they might as well call them “mutants.” They have interesting bits like Charlie being a spy of sorts and the performances were good when they explored the ramifications of the tech but I think that was kind of a mediocre note to end on, not terribly unique.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Limetown question:

I understand why Emile wants to find Lia so bad. It doesn't make any sense to me why he had to torture her to get the info he wants. They presumably seem to be working towards the same goal (find Lia, stop Daniel) so why are they adversarial towards each other?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Limetown answer: Emile believes in bringing the tech to the world in spite of everything that happened (for mostly selfish reasons, because of how isolating being the only mind reader in the world can be), whereas Charlie's goal was burying the story of Limetown before it could develop further, which wound up being somewhat compatible with Daniel's ends as well. Remember, her stated objective as of the end of episode one was to kill Daniel, Emile and Lia because her job was to shield Eugene Demeter at IDS from criminal liability.

It's left somewhat ambiguous what the goal is that the people who have Lia are working towards, so it's possible that wherever she is, she can't be used towards making everybody like Emile, especially considering she's being kept for having a very different ability.

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games
Incoming whine post.
The Limetown season finale sucked butts.

*Let's walk around. Narrate what you are looking at.
*Why?
*Just do it!
*OK fine. We are in a house. There is a cuckoo clock on the wall.
Cuckoo. Cuckoo.
*I always hated that cuckoo clock. Always cuckoo'ing. There. I took it apart. Now it will not cuckoo anymore.
*Now we are in a theater. Narrate what you see.
*Why?
*Just narrate!
*Fine. We are watching a movie. It is ironically relevant. Now you are pacing in front of me.
*Tell me about your past.
*I don't want to.
*Just do it!
*Fine. [Long story]. Just kidding that long story wasn't real.
*Oh no!
*Also I magic'ed out of my handcuffs! Now you are the handcuffed one!
*Oh no!
BROUGHT TO YOU BY OUR BENEVOLENT SPONSORS AT COMCAST

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Squack McQuack posted:

Incoming whine post.
The Limetown season finale sucked butts.

*Let's walk around. Narrate what you are looking at.
*Why?
*Just do it!
I'll admit, I thought that was a poor choice to handle the problem of "we can't show you this so we'll have to describe it in detail to build the picture in your head."

How about that new episode of Eskew? I can't decide if The Witness is supposed to be (a version of?) David or not.
Also I was listening to them again recently, and I swear episode nine used to be different. But I can't remember what it was. Maybe that's just me.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

boo_radley posted:

Black tapes: The podcast: The show! Apparently to be worked on by the Creator of Emerald City .

Seeing this but doubting there will ever be a Magnus Archives tv show makes me sad :(

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

vortmax posted:

How about that new episode of Eskew? I can't decide if The Witness is supposed to be (a version of?) David or not.
Also I was listening to them again recently, and I swear episode nine used to be different. But I can't remember what it was. Maybe that's just me.

It was. They released an episode in the middle of the pack and renumbered the rest at the same time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone checked out this First Mrs Claus podcast? The No Sleep podcast had episode 1 in the feed and it's certainly a thing. Santa is actually a stingy Jewish man obsessed with money named Ari.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Len posted:

Santa is actually a stingy Jewish man obsessed with money named Ari.

thanks I hate it

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Len posted:

Has anyone checked out this First Mrs Claus podcast? The No Sleep podcast had episode 1 in the feed and it's certainly a thing. Santa is actually a stingy Jewish man obsessed with money named Ari.

Hmmm it's almost like Nutting good comes from reddit except for alt right hate pieces.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
That First Mrs. Claus podcast looks like it has a great voice cast (Cecil Baldwin!). Is it bad?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SalTheBard posted:

That First Mrs. Claus podcast looks like it has a great voice cast (Cecil Baldwin!). Is it bad?

well I know literally one thing about it and it's a real bad start but maybe a listener can weigh in

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Yeah I was hoping someone else listened to it because episode 1 was not good.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

vortmax posted:

I'll admit, I thought that was a poor choice to handle the problem of "we can't show you this so we'll have to describe it in detail to build the picture in your head."

My take was it was just a rando watching what would become Eskew get built.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Len posted:

Like everything from the Darkest Night group so far (the other being Deadly Manners), it's seriously over-the-top and ridiculous and not good, but somehow intriguing enough to keep me interested. I've enjoyed the story of Darkest Night despite the aggressively gruesome events, and I liked Deadly Manners up until the reveal at the end. (Seriously, Communism was just a red herring!?) I've only heard the first episode, but I'll probably keep listening.

Arrhythmia posted:

My take was it was just a rando watching what would become Eskew get built.
I thought as much too, but given the way things tend to.......slip in Eskew, and with the things behind The Witness's walls, I thought it could still be our man David.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

You know, I'd anticipated that a season of wheel-spinning was a strong possibility for Limetown S2, but that was more pointless than I could have imagined. It seems obvious at this point that the writers don't have a clear arc for the story (since otherwise the content of this season is enough for 2, maybe 3 episodes of Actual Plot), and that they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks. Might help if they let anyone live instead of constantly killing characters to reduce loose ends. Not a huge surprise after season one, but disappointing.

Ending with wasting like half the runtime of the last episode on stuff that didn't happen or did it? is funny enough that it almost seems intentionally flippant, but I don't think it was actually intended to be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Are people surprised that Limetown ended with no real closure again?

Season 1 was a massive cliffhanger and then the next three years the only updates were "there going to be a TV show and book"

Now that the tv is actually in production of course they're not giving any closure anytime soon

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the Limetown season finale. I felt that having Charlie narrate her surroundings was consistent with the theme throughout the season of Emile having Charlie talk through things as a way to break down her mental barriers. I also felt that the Foley sounds that we heard when Emile is throwing the film reel on gave us a hint that Charlie had managed to escape from her restraints... which is also consistent with what she said about her skills as a soldier..

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I really enjoyed the last Limetown episode and was surprised to see people didn't care for it. I have a bad feeling the show is going to be garbage, though.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Wtf was this limetown ending?
Can someone with a brain help?

Edit: Nevermind, I missed the last bit.

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 26, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Wtf was this limetown ending?
Can someone with a brain help?

They have a tv deal and obviously cant end it so they left it on another big cliffhanger

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Girl in Space: WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE TALKING ABOUT YOU!??!!??! This is still one of my favorite ones out there. I think I need to give a relisten because there's so

I have like 2-3 unplayed episodes left because it starting moving really fast near the end there and I’m probably going to need to relisten to S2 anyway. I was waiting first for the unplayed episodes to grow in number, but it seems like it’s been several months now with no activity. Any idea when more episodes will land?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
One just came out shortly before Christmas

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Has anyone tried The Fall of the House of Sunshine? I heard another podcast plug it and they called it a whimsical zany musical with hints of Monty Python, Venture Brothers, and Dirk Gently. Can anyone confirm it's not garbage like I would assume it is?

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Nothing quite like finding an awesome podcast, especially as my life is going to suck for the next 2 months during the busy season of my job. Just wanted to give a shout out to The Once And Future Nerd. I've been subscribed forever but ignoring it for other podcasts. I finally took the plunge and now I am binging it at an insane rate. The first few episodes aren't great since it focuses on three very immature teenagers, but they soon become more minor characters and even begin to mature. So if you can bear through a few episodes of dick jokes, it actually has a very good plot and engaging characters thereafter. It's still ongoing and sounds like it may drop a new season within the next couple months. At the rate I'm binging, I'll probably be done with it before the end of the week, so I'm glad I came on here and saw about Limetown, that will be next for sure.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
New Magnus is out.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

10thAvenue posted:

Nothing quite like finding an awesome podcast, especially as my life is going to suck for the next 2 months during the busy season of my job. Just wanted to give a shout out to The Once And Future Nerd. I've been subscribed forever but ignoring it for other podcasts. I finally took the plunge and now I am binging it at an insane rate. The first few episodes aren't great since it focuses on three very immature teenagers, but they soon become more minor characters and even begin to mature. So if you can bear through a few episodes of dick jokes, it actually has a very good plot and engaging characters thereafter. It's still ongoing and sounds like it may drop a new season within the next couple months. At the rate I'm binging, I'll probably be done with it before the end of the week, so I'm glad I came on here and saw about Limetown, that will be next for sure.

There's some brilliance in it but it's really uneven over all. I listen to it but I can go 6 months without touching it easily. That said, I did subscribe to their patreon just to get the transcript for the "NOT ALL NECROMANCERS" episode.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

I've already completely forgotten everything about what happened in the season finale. I think my brain is not properly wired to listen to these podcasts.

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

Montalvo posted:

I've already completely forgotten everything about what happened in the season finale. I think my brain is not properly wired to listen to these podcasts.

I usually have to either listen to the previous season over again or at least read summaries of the episodes (where available). I assumed it was my ADD, but that's probably more to blame for me having to re-listen to the same 5 minutes of an episode 3 times in a row when I'm particularly distractable or my need to sometimes read synopses right after listening to episodes. So I guess I'm saying it could be worse?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

10thAvenue posted:

I usually have to either listen to the previous season over again or at least read summaries of the episodes (where available). I assumed it was my ADD, but that's probably more to blame for me having to re-listen to the same 5 minutes of an episode 3 times in a row when I'm particularly distractable or my need to sometimes read synopses right after listening to episodes. So I guess I'm saying it could be worse?

:whatup: relisten buddy? I got through most of the episode on my ride to work today and don't really know what happened. I'll restart it after I leave

10thAvenue
Jun 7, 2004

edit: asked question, found answer.

10thAvenue fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 10, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
New Magnus season is really drat good.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I just started listening this last year, so this is the first season I’m listening to as it’s released. It’s staggering how high the quality of the show is with an episode every week, and 4 seasons in nonetheless.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Ratatozsk posted:

I just started listening this last year, so this is the first season I’m listening to as it’s released. It’s staggering how high the quality of the show is with an episode every week, and 4 seasons in nonetheless.

I really makes you wonder how "higher budget" podcasts can fail so miserably with considerably more time and resources and Rusty Quill puts out consistently high quality material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mostly I think they pick their constraints and stick to them, even when choices made outside of those constraints might be more flashy or gratifying to the writer