Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

nobody would ever invoke 25 unless the president is an invalid. we even had one president whose wife did his job when he shoulda been 25ed.

Well, that was before the 25th existed. But yeah.

EDIT

https://twitter.com/Todays_Puppy/status/1088941685604864003

I cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Gatts posted:

Hm. I was hoping that the fact he's from Texas is enough for Texans to go "First you don't mess with Texas. Then we worry about R or D." Like a unity kind of thing on a national level against non Texans.

If the R candidate literally came out and said "Texas loving sucks, is full of garbage inbred pieces of poo poo, is worse than OKLAHOMA, and all government funding will now be sourced from increased taxes on the state of Texas only", then maybe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oxyclean posted:

What is Roger Stone charged with?

Seems comical someone who was arrested earlier today can just be out on bail/bond and on talk shows in the same day.

I mean in fairness ANYONE indicted in a high profile case could probably get on CNN within hours of being released if they really wanted to.

Its just not a very good idea.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

corn in the bible posted:

roger stone is gonna get pardoned

LOL this poo poo is so predictable at this point.

You forgot to add "Trump is going to get his wall and reign for 8 years."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DynamicSloth posted:

Pelosi deserves a lot of the praise she's getting today, but fundamentally it was labour action which saved American democracy from committing economic suicide under the leadership of the business party.

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/1088919691844673536

The two capstones to the gridlock were Donny Shortfingers and the Republican Senate. It really was a game of who breaks first and different sources applied different pressure on them.

The imminent collapse of US air traffic in days, if not hours, coupled with the humiliation that the Dem CR was more popular than the GOP CR in the Senate itself was causing the steel in McConnel's hand to buckle. Which meant the Senate was starting to lean hard on Trump to make him break first. If Donny hadn't collapsed I doubt they would have lasted another day or two before a general uprising in the Senate.

Meanwhile Donny doesn't give two shits about what happens to air traffic since he can just Airforce One his rear end wherever he wants if it comes down to it. What he does care about is getting his SOTU address. Today was the day that it finally filtered into his head that Pelosi actually did have the power to completely deny him his soap-box, a fact that was probably driven home by his best buddy Roger Stone being dragged in by an FBI no-knock raid. That last bit was likely the shock to the system that made Trump crumble and fold like a house of cards.

However neither pieces would have given in without growing, mounting pressure from all sides.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

What is Roger Stone charged with?

Seems comical someone who was arrested earlier today can just be out on bail/bond and on talk shows in the same day.

there's a presumption in the federal criminal system that people should not go to jail while awaiting charges unless they're a danger to the community or the kind of flight risk you can't reasonably stop through normal means like taking passports (ie: maria butina could very, very easily get to the russian embassy were she to be released on bond)

it's actually very good, ubiquitous pre-trial detention like most states do is inhuman and also loving stupid

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Doom Rooster posted:

If the R candidate literally came out and said "Texas is worse than OKLAHOMA" then maybe.

It would just take this.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Jaxyon posted:

LOL this poo poo is so predictable at this point.

You forgot to add "Trump is going to get his wall and reign for 8 years."
But what if the shutdown lasts until July like Mulvaney planned???

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Tibalt posted:

But what if the shutdown lasts until July like Mulvaney planned???

What if our entire civilization collapses and the union breaks and calls a constitutional convention?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

1stGear posted:

It would just take this.

Tbh, those are fightin' words no matter what state you live in. Imagine being worse than Oklahoma.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

eke out posted:

there's a presumption in the federal criminal system that people should not go to jail while awaiting charges unless they're a danger to the community or the kind of flight risk you can't reasonably stop through normal means like taking passports

it's actually very good, ubiquitous pre-trial detention like most states do is inhuman and also loving stupid

Fair enough - I think I'm a bit confused about how the process goes / assumed someone high profiled wouldn't be arrested unless they had charges ready?

and yeah, pre-trial detention is poo poo, but the way the rich and famous kind of never have to deal with it seems kinda poo poo?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Crow Jane posted:

Tbh, those are fightin' words no matter what state you live in. Imagine being worse than Oklahoma.

I think that state of existence is called "Florida".

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Alkydere posted:

The two capstones to the gridlock were Donny Shortfingers and the Republican Senate. It really was a game of who breaks first and different sources applied different pressure on them.

The imminent collapse of US air traffic in days, if not hours, coupled with the humiliation that the Dem CR was more popular than the GOP CR in the Senate itself was causing the steel in McConnel's hand to buckle. Which meant the Senate was starting to lean hard on Trump to make him break first. If Donny hadn't collapsed I doubt they would have lasted another day or two before a general uprising in the Senate.

Meanwhile Donny doesn't give two shits about what happens to air traffic since he can just Airforce One his rear end wherever he wants if it comes down to it. What he does care about is getting his SOTU address. Today was the day that it finally filtered into his head that Pelosi actually did have the power to completely deny him his soap-box, a fact that was probably driven home by his best buddy Roger Stone being dragged in by an FBI no-knock raid. That last bit was likely the shock to the system that made Trump crumble and fold like a house of cards.

However neither pieces would have given in without growing, mounting pressure from all sides.

I would be rather shocked if Jacobin didn't criticize the Dems for this outcome.

Crow Jane posted:

Alabama and Mississippi say Hi.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

I find it a little hard to believe that Trump would accept a humiliating loss just to so the SOTU. I think McConnel presented him with two choices:

Concede now on your own terms

or

We overturn a veto and show that you don't even control your own party.

The second straight up makes him look weaker, so he took the first.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DynamicSloth posted:

And their flights were delayed because of a labour slow down.

A bunch of TSA screeners and flight controllers risked their jobs while in the middle of having to work without pay, they deserve the country's gratitude, all they'll probably get is in poo poo with their managers..

Their managers weren't getting paid either. I don't think anyone is going to get poo poo on for what happened to end this shutdown.

If there's ever another shutdown that lasts a whole pay period we will probably see air traffic grind to a halt pretty fast since now we know that's the only thing that'll break the stalemate. Going forward no federal employees are going to assume politicians care about whether they get paid. This shutdown may have killed all future shutdowns unless Congress changes who gets paid during a stoppage or closes that 'leave with pay' loophole that may have contributed to the ATC work slowdown today. As a bargaining chip, 'no air travel' beats everything.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Alkydere posted:

I think that state of existence is called "Florida".

Florida at least has like beaches and Cuban food and poo poo. Oklahoma has Evangelicals and wild hogs

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oxyclean posted:

Fair enough - I think I'm a bit confused about how the process goes / assumed someone high profiled wouldn't be arrested unless they had charges ready?

and yeah, pre-trial detention is poo poo, but the way the rich and famous kind of never have to deal with it seems kinda poo poo?

It is which was the point of that ACLU tweet people misread.

Its good that people who aren't threats aren't held indefinitely in prison before being proven guilt. Its bad that the system makes it easier for rich white people to get that then poor black people.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crow Jane posted:

Even Oklahoma residents would take offense at their state being compared to Oklahoma.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Can't not pay ATC in the event of a shutdown if it's privatized!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I don't think I saw anyone mention it, but Bernie had a really good MLK Day speech. You guys should check it out, if you haven't already.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

he was arrested precisely because a grand jury charged him with several different crimes yesterday

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Crow Jane posted:

Florida at least has like beaches and Cuban food and poo poo. Oklahoma has Evangelicals and wild hogs

I mean win or lose you've gotta give it to Florida for genuinely having their heart in the race

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I find it a little hard to believe that Trump would accept a humiliating loss just to so the SOTU. I think McConnel presented him with two choices:

Concede now on your own terms

or

We overturn a veto and show that you don't even control your own party.

The second straight up makes him look weaker, so he took the first.

As I said, the SOTU was his big toy, what the grandpa-baby wanted, but with Senate resolve wavering they were actively pushing on Don instead of supporting him.

DoombatINC posted:

I mean win or lose you've gotta give it to Florida for genuinely having their heart in the race

Until it explodes from cocaine OD.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Donny just did the two tweets today?

That’s a lot of restraint.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

empty whippet box posted:

"Appearing on every tv show I possibly can to answer questions on live TV during primetime, that will clear up my legal troubles, " thought the Very Smart Man

To be fair, his audience is one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That's called defeat.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

His Diet Coke today was probably mostly barbiturates

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

https://twitter.com/NOgnanovich/status/1088949728501473280?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I've been busy most of today and turned on CNN to see a man unironically say that "Trump is on the 50 yard line and just caught a first down" re: the shutdown deal

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

eke out posted:

I've been busy most of today and turned on CNN to see a man unironically say that "Trump is on the 50 yard line and just caught a first down" re: the shutdown deal

Compared to every other option he realistically had being a 40 yard sack, yeah it's not exactly wrong

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Hahaha! Fat orange piece of poo poo got hosed hard! What a loving loser! What a loving loser! He looks like a loving dumb piece of poo poo! He got absolutely screwed over and humiliated! How does it feel you fat orange piece of poo poo? How does it feel!?

It's not nearly as bad as all the people loving hurt, you fuckwad! All the people you made go Without Pity for months! And the trans people you banned from the military! The immigrants you slaughtered! They suffered worse than you ever did you piece of poo poo and that's the biggest crime! I take this day as the first chip to seeing your rear end from in prison like you deserve!

gently caress you!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

eke out posted:

Was it that knight from the Holy Grail without any limbs?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I like the new Covok

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Still time for the reneg. Come on, drink your medicine and sign, baby.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Covok posted:

Hahaha! Fat orange piece of poo poo got hosed hard! What a loving loser! What a loving loser! He looks like a loving dumb piece of poo poo! He got absolutely screwed over and humiliated! How does it feel you fat orange piece of poo poo? How does it feel!?

It's not nearly as bad as all the people loving hurt, you fuckwad! All the people you made go Without Pity for months! And the trans people you banned from the military! The immigrants you slaughtered! They suffered worse than you ever did you piece of poo poo and that's the biggest crime! I take this day as the first chip to seeing your rear end from in prison like you deserve!

gently caress you!

I was about to say this seemed like a bit of an overreaction, but nah, it's cool and good and correct.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Covok posted:

gently caress you!

That’s the spirit! I remember back when you were hopeless and defeated.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

eke out posted:

What he didn’t say was that there’s 45 seconds left in the game and he’s down 38.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

eke out posted:

I'm having too much trouble parsing the metaphor to figure out if it makes sense or not.

I think he turned the ball over?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Haha, look how easy a CR is when Trump isn't petulant.

Now maximize chaos and veto it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

So was Rand Paul out of town for his surgery and unable to be a dissenting voice vote? I bet that kills him.