Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
they also own the Zebra imprint, which was the place for 80s horror novels that if nothing else had :krad: covers

http://www.fright.com/edge/ZebraHorror.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Johnstone (and his ghost writers now that he's dead(which makes the "with" author credit pretty hilarious)) was a relatively well known if lovely pulp writer since the seventies.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

so i guess the question is which imprint the trigger book is under, split-infinitively

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

grittyreboot posted:

Edit: Oh, they also published Liminal States by SA's own Zach Parsons, which is pretty good.

Man, I gotta reread that one, it was pretty legit. The first third was my favorite but that book really knew how to set a tone.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Liminal States was good, but I thought Reificant was more interesting. That was the prequel that Parsons published here on SA, where you get to follow the alien ant/mantis creature that shows up briefly in Liminal States, and get some more insight into the white goo.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Got a link? Not sure if I got to read it, and I loved Liminal States. Why hasn’t he written any more books already?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I think I remember him tweeting about getting burned out on trying to make a living on writing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does anyone have the sex scene excerpts from the Longarm Western books posted earlier? I want to share them with a friend's circle.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Here's part one:
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/reificant-battle-spire/1/

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Top text: "Hillary Clinton And The White House Feminists Who Now Control America—And Tell The President What To Do"

Edit: This guy's Wikipedia page kicks rear end.

quote:

Additionally, Texe Marrs has promoted a book, The Greatest Lie on Earth: Proof That Our World is Not a Moving Globe, by Edward Hendrie, which alleges that the planet Earth is immobile and flat.[15][16] Marrs also offers Hendrie's book asserting this argument through his ministry,[17] and books by Hendrie alleging that the world is being manipulated by a vast Jewish-Catholic conspiracy.[18]

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Jan 15, 2019

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jenny Nicholson did a video about this that's pretty funny. There's also a shocking twist ending!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4
If you don't want to watch an hour and a half long breakdown of the book the twist is the author William Johnstone has been dead for 15 years and the coauthor has been hiding said death, pretending that the books are just manuscripts that are being finished. Also said coauthor is a woman (specifically Johnstone's niece.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Top text: "Hillary Clinton And The White House Feminists Who Now Control America—And Tell The President What To Do"

Lots of potential band names in that blurb.

Brutally Correct Women
Awesome Gestapo Powers
Global Marxist Paradise
Frightening New Millennium
Hilary's Regiment of Hardened Militant Feminists

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hilary's Regiment of Hardened Militant Feminists

Nice gang tag.

Speaking of which, I'm impressed by Coolio's gangster's paradise followup "global Marxist paradise"

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

This feels like it belongs here. Do yourself a favor and click through to the thread itself.

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1088958995677638656

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

This feels like it belongs here. Do yourself a favor and click through to the thread itself.

Seconding the recommendation on reading the thread. Turns out the book is free on Unlimited and they start live-tweeting it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

Yes, absolutely read this thread. Ye gods.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yes, absolutely read this thread. Ye gods.

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1089002864507113472

https://twitter.com/erinscafe/status/1089009035284598791

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Why, yes, this Rich Shapero book is a free copy that was dropped off on a college campus, and it does, in fact, have an accompanying album.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Why, yes, this Rich Shapero book is a free copy that was dropped off on a college campus, and it does, in fact, have an accompanying album.

PYF terrible book: she was clawing his loins.

Christ, it took me way too long to realize that was supposed to be a sex scene.

In other news I'm reading Slugs by Shaun Hutson. I bought it after listening to the IDEOTV episode about it. I have zero regrets.
This fuckin book owns.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Fuckin’ A! He didn’t learn his lesson with Wild Animus? :roflolmao:

“Hey, the last time I did this, I spent a ton of money and became a national laughing stock. Here we go again!”

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

AlbieQuirky posted:

Fuckin’ A! He didn’t learn his lesson with Wild Animus? :roflolmao:

“Hey, the last time I did this, I spent a ton of money and became a national laughing stock. Here we go again!”
I'm not entirely sure this isn't money laundering of some sort.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

I'm not entirely sure this isn't money laundering of some sort.

I would admire him more for that than for the ridiculous ego trip it seems to be on the surface.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug
Please review

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The book itself isn't really terrible, but there isn't a good book thread outside of the pretty dead book barn, and as a children's book it's saddled with a lot of bad characters, but I just reread Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley, released in 1991 which I haven't read in 17 years. I revisited it because I remembered enjoying it as a kid, and while the first half is a bit lacking due to most of the characters having a lot of bad gimmicks like the teacher who is reduced to tears by the mere mention of Shakespeare, or the main character's mother who when stressed always says "Polly-wolly-doodle-all-the-day" which is annoying as gently caress to read from the start, the main character, Ruskin Splinter, is a stone cold badass. He is a weedy little runt with an almost inaudible voice, but he has the heart of a lion and the balls of a rhinocerous. He is 11.

From the start he is standing up to the bully Elvis, who is his age and used to be his closest friend alongside his sidekick Sparky, but grew early and became an rear end in a top hat who the whole town is terrified to cross with Sparky acting as his flunky, (so he gets away with everything, including breaking literally everyone's windows all the time with his football),only acquiescing when completely overpowered. For example when Elvis kicks his ball through Ruskin's window again and demands he clean the marmalade off it, Ruskin tells him that it was his own fault he got marmalade on it and that he stole the ball from him in the first place so gently caress off, only cleaning it when Elvis physically picks him up by his hair to intimidate him.

Here are some other things he does over the course of the book, in order:
1)
Upon finding out how Krindlekrax, the giant crocodile of the title, came to be such a menace, and triggered by the death of the school janitor, the only person left in town who he considered an actual friend, at the crocs hands, he erupts completely, calling each and every one of the other characters out in their part in creating the problem in the first place, even his own parents after entering his home to run to his bedroom, with the last thing he says in the scene being a declaration of hatred for his community so violent his voice not only carries for the first time, but is never described as reedy again. That's right, he gets so mad his vocal chords go super-saiyan and break right then and there.

2)
Pulls the thorn-in-lion's-paw gambit with Krindlekrax to finally tame it after luring it out of the sewers to fight it with the janitor's walking stick - however the thorn in the analogy was a medal the janitor gave to him that he threw into Krindlekrax's throat himself right then, so he basically stabbed the lion's paw and went "OK I'll pull this out if you gently caress right off mate..." Then climbed right into the croc's mouth to retrieve the medal. Krindlekrax never even thinks of eating him because he's pretty much got the point by this point.

3)
Uses the pin on the back of the medal after this, grabbing Elvis's football and deflating it in front of him, with the bully being emotionally crippled at the rest of the town cheering this action.

4)
When Sparky and Elvis individually (at different points in the story) ask if he wants to be friends again, he simply replies "You always were." Making it clear that them becoming distant from his was their fault and not his. Also during the fight when talking to himself about what he's fighting for, he lists off all his friends in town ending with "And Sparky and Elvis are my friends too, whether they want to be or not!"

The kid totally loving owns and I love him. He's the worlds tiniest Anime.

Here are some neat illustrations of Krindlekrax and Ruskin's confrontation:

I like how the main character is barely visible because it really highlights just how out of his depth he is against this monstrous crocodile.
He's literally overshadowed but his stances are all strong stances. He's not cowering at all, he's laying down a reckoning. Or trying to.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this! posted:

Jenny Nicholson did a video about this that's pretty funny. There's also a shocking twist ending!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMgMr0JcYJ4
If you don't want to watch an hour and a half long breakdown of the book the twist is the author William Johnstone has been dead for 15 years and the coauthor has been hiding said death, pretending that the books are just manuscripts that are being finished. Also said coauthor is a woman (specifically Johnstone's niece.

this twist was loving mindblowing after hearing all the words in that book. Like, I genuinely can't quite think it's a troll because of all the baggage around it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BioEnchanted posted:

The book itself isn't really terrible, but there isn't a good book thread outside of the pretty dead book barn, and as a children's book it's saddled with a lot of bad characters, but I just reread Krindlekrax by Philip Ridley, released in 1991 which I haven't read in 17 years. I revisited it because I remembered enjoying it as a kid, and while the first half is a bit lacking due to most of the characters having a lot of bad gimmicks like the teacher who is reduced to tears by the mere mention of Shakespeare, or the main character's mother who when stressed always says "Polly-wolly-doodle-all-the-day" which is annoying as gently caress to read from the start, the main character, Ruskin Splinter, is a stone cold badass. He is a weedy little runt with an almost inaudible voice, but he has the heart of a lion and the balls of a rhinocerous. He is 11.

:3:
I know it's not really what the thread is for but it's nice sometimes to see someone enjoying something so much. I enjoyed reading this, thanks friend!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I remember reading that book but in my head I'd remembered it being about the crocodile/monster was a rumour/urban legend and so the books end where Elvis is beaten was the weedy kid basically having a psychotic break, thinking he was the monster and beating the poo poo out of his bully with the cane. While everyone else watched I guess.

Not sure why I thought that would have been a suitable end for a children's book, though the UK cover was a bit more hardcore if I remember correctly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THere is a pretty great part that may have given you that impression when Ruskin is in the sewers after accidentally dropping his mentor's cane in when looking through the cover for Krindlekrax. He retrieves the cane from the swarm of rats and realises that he's alone down there, no giant crocodile in sight. So he relaxes. Starts having a realisation: "It's just a story. Ha. A story. Haha. A story!" and as he's laughing to himself partially in relief, partially due to how ridiculous he must have seemed, he stops. Because suddenly he hears a loud thunderous roar really close by. poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've been reading a Lovecraft anthology, and wow the guy is really poorly paced. A lot of stories seem to go on forever, although Mountain of Madness has a really cool setting in the city beyond the peak. There is a cute parallel in Mountain of Madness though - the scientists break through to a cavern in the antarctic and take a few specimens they find of The Old Ones to study along with some unusual artifacts. Then the Old Ones that are still living there decide to visit them during a massive windstorm (although I think the implication is that the complete specimens may not have actually been dead and just woken up and panicked). After the wind dies down, they find a lot of them missing or dead, the dogs all gone and their equipment has been hosed with too, with a lot of their books and things missing. They also kind of freak out that some of the incomplete corpses were buried.

It's like dude, you broke into their home, stole from their mortuary along with nicking some artifacts of theirs that probably have meaning to them because you saw a footprint and got curious - It seems they just returned the favour. It's also hilarious that they're all "Burying their dead and marking the site with an emblem that's meaningful to them? How unprecedented!" when that's the most common human burial rite. They're both just groups of Bad Scientists who have proven to be really bad at dissecting each other.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been reading a Lovecraft anthology, and wow the guy is really poorly paced. A lot of stories seem to go on forever, although Mountain of Madness has a really cool setting in the city beyond the peak. There is a cute parallel in Mountain of Madness though - the scientists break through to a cavern in the antarctic and take a few specimens they find of The Old Ones to study along with some unusual artifacts. Then the Old Ones that are still living there decide to visit them during a massive windstorm (although I think the implication is that the complete specimens may not have actually been dead and just woken up and panicked). After the wind dies down, they find a lot of them missing or dead, the dogs all gone and their equipment has been hosed with too, with a lot of their books and things missing. They also kind of freak out that some of the incomplete corpses were buried.

It's like dude, you broke into their home, stole from their mortuary along with nicking some artifacts of theirs that probably have meaning to them because you saw a footprint and got curious - It seems they just returned the favour. It's also hilarious that they're all "Burying their dead and marking the site with an emblem that's meaningful to them? How unprecedented!" when that's the most common human burial rite. They're both just groups of Bad Scientists who have proven to be really bad at dissecting each other.

Honestly, "the humans and the elder races are all kind of stupid" sounds like a fun neo-Lovecraftian take.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

They had not been even savages—for what indeed had they done? That awful awakening in the cold of an unknown epoch—perhaps an attack by the furry, frantically barking quadrupeds, and a dazed defence against them and the equally frantic white simians with the queer wrappings and paraphernalia . . . poor Lake, poor Gedney . . . and poor Old Ones! Scientists to the last—what had they done that we would not have done in their place? God, what intelligence and persistence! What a facing of the incredible, just as those carven kinsmen and forbears had faced things only a little less incredible! Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star-spawn—whatever they had been, they were men!

In the next paragraph the narrator flips out about the giant penguins again which is one of my favorite silly bits from At the Mountains of Madness, kind of like how one of the old vampire movies featured armadillos all over the vampire's castle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like that section

quote:

And now, when Danforth and I saw the freshly glistening and reflectively iridescent black slime which clung thickly to those headless bodies and stank obscenely with that new unknown odour whose cause only a diseased fancy could envisage—clung to those bodies and sparkled less voluminously on a smooth part of the accursedly re-sculptured wall in a series of grouped dots—we understood the quality of cosmic fear to its uttermost depths. It was not fear of those four missing others—for all too well did we suspect they would do no harm again. Poor devils! After all, they were not evil things of their kind. They were the men of another age and another order of being. Nature had played a hellish jest on them—as it will on any others that human madness, callousness, or cruelty may hereafter drag up in that hideously dead or sleeping polar waste—and this was their tragic homecoming.

They had not been even savages—for what indeed had they done? That awful awakening in the cold of an unknown epoch—perhaps an attack by the furry, frantically barking quadrupeds, and a dazed defence against them and the equally frantic white simians with the queer wrappings and paraphernalia . . . poor Lake, poor Gedney . . . and poor Old Ones! Scientists to the last—what had they done that we would not have done in their place? God, what intelligence and persistence! What a facing of the incredible, just as those carven kinsmen and forbears had faced things only a little less incredible! Radiates, vegetables, monstrosities, star-spawn—whatever they had been, they were men!

They had crossed the icy peaks on whose templed slopes they had once worshipped and roamed among the tree-ferns. They had found their dead city brooding under its curse, and had read its carven latter days as we had done. They had tried to reach their living fellows in fabled depths of blackness they had never seen—and what had they found?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
And then it turns out that they're looking at the aftermath of a slave rebellion. Shoggoths of the world, unite - you have nothing to lose but your shapes!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At the Mountains of Madness is an interesting one, given it also goes into more iconic Lovecraftian fare in that there's Weird poo poo that the Old Ones knew next to nothing about and were terrified of.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
As a bit of a update, The F Plus did a episode about Morgan Blayde:
https://thefpl.us/episode/299

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

C.M. Kruger posted:

As a bit of a update, The F Plus did a episode about Morgan Blayde:
https://thefpl.us/episode/299

I'd repressed my memories of this dude. He's just staggeringly awful.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Merc_Rustad/status/1128332468678008832

Well worth the read.

The twitter thread, that is, not the guy's book.

Apparently he also went full diva on some book review site because they reviewed his book honestly. Gotta love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Nothing but respect for someone that fully admits their religion fic book was inspired by Raiders of the Lost Ark and not any actual holy text

https://twitter.com/Merc_Rustad/status/1128336580043841536