Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
All this ice talk reminded me of the time I finally replaced the roof and rear window of my first car ('82 Dodge 400 convertible) one summer, drove it back to school in Rochester, and put my snow brush right through the new plastic window during the first big snowstorm. :suicide:

Rolled with a clear packing tape patch until the floor fell out years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Amazing how packing tape lasted longer than the floor. (Well not really...)

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did nobody cover their windshield before it snowed? I used to just toss a plastic bag over

I once had a nice nylon windshield cover that even had suction cups to pin it to the side windows.

Suction cups don't do dick-all when it freezes, and most of the time, the moisture under the cover would freeze it onto the windshield, and after getting it detached, I'd still have to scrape the ice underneath it off.

Was better off setting my alarm 10 minutes earlier, using a decent window scraper, and having an old hair dryer on an extension cord in the garage for when my locks/doors froze.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Did nobody cover their windshield before it snowed? I used to just toss a plastic bag over

No. Never tossed a plastic bag over my johnsen either.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snow on a windshield isn't that bad as long as the glass is cold. It's when it melts a little bit that you got a lovely morning.

When I was young and brave I'd turn off the heater a couple minutes before I got home and roll down the windows, get everything nice and chilled before I stopped.

Also helped with getting moisture out of the interior. When you live someplace that has persistent snow, even if you knock your feet off, bits of snow make it inside. After a few weeks cleaning the inside of the windows is harder than the outside, so you gotta run the heater real high to evaporate as much as possible, then open the windows.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Colostomy Bag posted:

No. Never tossed a plastic bag over my johnsen either.

Counterpoint: despite its efficacy, boiling water leaves something to be desired as a prophylactic.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm sort of confused on the pissing match we are arguing about here.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

oops

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm sort of confused on the pissing match we are arguing about here.

Urine works pretty well too but it's kinda hard to clear the ice off an entire windshield unless your friends pitch in.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Jesus Christ do you blokes live at the north pole or something? I've never heard of frozen locks before, that's hosed up.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Nah, mang. Even, like, Idaho or Washington.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had frozen locks, I think it's more an issue in places that get freezing rain or get so cold that fahrenheit and celcius cross paths (causing whatever lubrication is in the lock to seize).

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ili posted:

Jesus Christ do you blokes live at the north pole or something? I've never heard of frozen locks before, that's hosed up.

I’ve never had that problem either but I’ve only lived in dry cold states like Montana and Colorado. Usually not enough moisture in the air to freeze shut.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

ili posted:

Freezing rain will do it even here in Texas. Not so much actually freezing as icing over.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Urine works pretty well too but it's kinda hard to clear the ice off an entire windshield unless your friends pitch in.

Had to do that for a radiator when the Russians invaded.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ili posted:

Using keys or a key fob? Big drat difference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Washing your car in freezing weather can easily do it too. Some locks are certainly worse than others though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If your windshield freezes over just, like, breathe on it for a few seconds and it'll melt away. It always works for me!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've gotten frozen locks in Seattle area, but only a handful of times

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Fender Anarchist posted:

If your windshield freezes over just, like, breathe on it for a few seconds and it'll melt away. It always works for me!

One weird trick the mouthwash industry doesn't want you to know.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Oh I just though he was a dragon

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

xzzy posted:

Also helped with getting moisture out of the interior. When you live someplace that has persistent snow, even if you knock your feet off, bits of snow make it inside. After a few weeks cleaning the inside of the windows is harder than the outside, so you gotta run the heater real high to evaporate as much as possible, then open the windows.

The worst part of moving to the Pacific Coast Rainforest from Montana was realizing my old door seals couldn't hold up to the intense moisture out here. If it'd been in a garage, I think things could have been okay, but it got to the point where I was putting a cover over my car and cracking the windows if I had to leave it for more than a week. I got in it once after two days in the rain, started moving, and a good two inches sloshed over my feet from the rear footwells. By the time I donated the beast, she was a literal swamp with lichen growing in the panel gaps.

I love my new garage-enhanced apartment and significantly dryer vehicle.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The worst part of moving to the Pacific Coast Rainforest from Montana was realizing my old door seals couldn't hold up to the intense moisture out here. If it'd been in a garage, I think things could have been okay, but it got to the point where I was putting a cover over my car and cracking the windows if I had to leave it for more than a week. I got in it once after two days in the rain, started moving, and a good two inches sloshed over my feet from the rear footwells. By the time I donated the beast, she was a literal swamp with lichen growing in the panel gaps.

I love my new garage-enhanced apartment and significantly dryer vehicle.

I think the main take away from this discussion is no matter where you live in the states it is hell.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Especially if it's Michigan

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the main take away from this discussion is no matter where you live in the states it is hell.

Yeah, your car is either covered in mushrooms, literally on fire, pockmarked by road gravel, iced shut, flooded, or stuck in a tree because of a tornado. Pick any applicable combination.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You forgot figuratively on fire because you left it out in the sun and the interior made it to 200F.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

xzzy posted:

You forgot figuratively on fire because you left it out in the sun and the interior made it to 200F.

Oh, like my old 85 Civic, "The Honda Oven." Fast heater. No AC. All dark brown vinyl interior.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

shy boy from chess club posted:

Especially if it's Michigan

Well we will leave your state out of this considering it descends beyond hell.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Oh, like my old 85 Civic, "The Honda Oven." Fast heater. No AC. All dark brown vinyl interior.

Yep, waltz into one of those with shorts on...well it would set your nut hair on fire.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Using keys or a key fob? Big drat difference.

My old Impreza used to refuse to keyfob-unlock one of the rear doors in -40 because the lock mechanism got water in the grease or something and it would freeze the little striker shut.

Made it a pain to get the snowbrush.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Had to do that for a radiator when the Russians invaded.

I just want you to know that I see what you did there.
Wolverines!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Darchangel posted:

I just want you to know that I see what you did there.
Wolverines!

Heh.

Yeah if this happened today we would stare at the engine compartment wondering where to piss into.

Color me impressed on picking up the reference.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 26, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, your car is either covered in mushrooms, literally on fire, pockmarked by road gravel, iced shut, flooded, or stuck in a tree because of a tornado. Pick any applicable combination.

You left out the most evil of them all.

Sure Australia has every living creature that wants to kill you. But at least you can defend. Imagine rust.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well we will leave your state out of this considering it descends beyond hell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hell,_Michigan

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The old GM cars with the separate keys for the ignition and doors (Square/Round) had locks that did not like the cold. Every single one of them I've ever had, we had lock freezing issues when it even got a hair below 25 or so.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Queen Combat posted:

The old GM cars with the separate keys for the ignition and doors (Square/Round) had locks that did not like the cold. Every single one of them I've ever had, we had lock freezing issues when it even got a hair below 25 or so.

My old Nova had the mechanism freeze up once in the few years I had it. I got it freed up with some hot water but it refroze so drat fast it wouldn't latch when I closed the door :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yep, waltz into one of those with shorts on...well it would set your nut hair on fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRsAu-qvsE

Queen Combat posted:

Back when I smoked, I used to stick the door key into the lock & then heat it with my Zippo.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man, imagine living in a frozen wasteland where you have so many issues with just getting into a car, let alone driving it.

*steps outside into the Australian summer, self combusts*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

ili posted:

Happens all the time in Canada. Newer cars seem better about sealing so it's not quite as frequent as when I was younger, but yeah. Locks freeze, windows seize, doors get iced shut, the wipers fuse to the windshield. I also love it when the cabin air intakes get clogged so you get in the car and turn on the air and get blasted with a faceful of snow.

I once had a nice nylon windshield cover that even had suction cups to pin it to the side windows.

Suction cups don't do dick-all when it freezes, and most of the time, the moisture under the cover would freeze it onto the windshield, and after getting it detached, I'd still have to scrape the ice underneath it off.

I have this windshield-shaped tarp with "ears" on the ends that you tuck around the A-pillars and close in the doors to hold it in place. Works great and cost like 8.99 at the gas station.

You Am I posted:

Man, imagine living in a frozen wasteland where you have so many issues with just getting into a car, let alone driving it.

*steps outside into the Australian summer, self combusts*

When I lived in Arizona, getting into the car and burning yourself on the door handle, the steering wheel, the seatbelt buckle, etc. was just an everyday occurrence. My line for when it was a really hot day was when you'd get into the car, burn yourself on every surface, drive around for a while squinting and sweating, get out at your destination, and finally burn your thigh when you put the now-superheated key in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

gently caress metal shift knobs too.