Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

muscles like this! posted:

Here's a weird moment from the new Adult Swim series Tigtone. In the pilot for Tigtone there's a moment where the Memory Gnome reminds Tigtone that he has the power to control animals once every five years and it has been five years since he last used the power. Before it was a series there was an animated short for Tigtone on Youtube and in it Tigtone uses his power to control animals. The animated short was made in 2014.

Is this what it feels like when you no longer understand "kids these days"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Beachcomber posted:

Is this what it feels like when you no longer understand "kids these days"?

Tigtone is just kind of like that, it's probably best described as a surreal parody of fantasy adventure where characters do fantasy things and say fantasy words that are syntactically valid but that don't actually cohere into contextual sentences.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Adult Swim cartoons in general are basically designed to be completely incomprehensible when described out of context. (and not much better in context)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Adult Swim cartoons in general are basically designed to be completely incomprehensible when described out of context. (and not much better in context)

I watched Neon Genesis on Adult Swim in the early 2000s

So yeah, sounds about right

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

bewilderment posted:

Tigtone is just kind of like that, it's probably best described as a surreal parody of fantasy adventure where characters do fantasy things and say fantasy words that are syntactically valid but that don't actually cohere into contextual sentences.

I loved the original 15- minutes video, and the little diary videos ("Dear Journal! *stabbing the jorunal with the quill and blood pouring out*"). I had no idea there was a full series. It was very pretty.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bewilderment posted:

So there is this podcast that was initially about how loving godawful Ready Player One is. Picking through the nonsense words spewed out by one of the worst authors in history but ofc after that they kept doing the show. They read a fantasy cult classic called The Eye of Argon which I'd contend was the inspiration for Tigtone.

Authentic frontier fantasy gibberish.

Now they've apparently moved on to Shatner's Tek War

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

syscall girl posted:

So there is this podcast that was initially about how loving godawful Ready Player One is. Picking through the nonsense words spewed out by one of the worst authors in history but ofc after that they kept doing the show. They read a fantasy cult classic called The Eye of Argon which I'd contend was the inspiration for Tigtone.

I stopped checking up on that after Armada because I assumed it was over. Looks like I have a solid backlog to check out now.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

What's the name of the podcast?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pastry of the Year posted:

What's the name of the podcast?

http://372pages.com/

By the Rifftrax guys.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Weird, because Trace Beaulieu and Bill Corbett did voices in the Tigtone pilot. Neat!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I Don't Even Own A TV is really similar in the sense of reviewing terrible books (many of which I am familiar with; I try not to think about that too often)

https://www.idontevenownatelevision.com

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Weird, because Trace Beaulieu and Bill Corbett did voices in the Tigtone pilot. Neat!

They also do voices on the show proper. Bill is the King half of KingQueen and Trace is Commandor the captain of the guard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

syscall girl posted:

The Eye of Argon is famous in SF convention circles, many of which hold contests to see who can get furthest into reading it aloud without laughing or accidentally correcting an error. It's rare for someone to reach the second page.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The Eye of Argon is famous in SF convention circles, many of which hold contests to see who can get furthest into reading it aloud without laughing or accidentally correcting an error. It's rare for someone to reach the second page.

I can't remember if the kid who wrote it seemed more inspired by Robert E. Howard or what but they delve in to the literary history of the book on the podcast.

And there is the inevitable comparison to A Confederacy of Dunces because the author was not famous for this until he was good and dead.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Ok, weird. I've never heard of The Eye of Argon, but Daggerfall had a patch/mod way back in 1996 called The Eye of Argonia.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Eye_of_Argonia_(Mod)

I never knew that it was likely a coincidental pun. I mean, I assume it is?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

muscles like this! posted:

They also do voices on the show proper. Bill is the King half of KingQueen and Trace is Commandor the captain of the guard.

Aren't the red letter media guys involved somehow too?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

Aren't the red letter media guys involved somehow too?

Mike voiced a character in the earliest version but I don't know if he's on the actual TV show.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

syscall girl posted:

https://ansible.uk/misc/eyeargon.html

quote:

The Eye of Argon Chapter 1

The weather beaten trail wound ahead into the dust racked climes of the baren land which dominates large portions of the Norgolian empire. Age worn hoof prints smothered by the sifting sands of time shone dully against the dust splattered crust of earth. The tireless sun cast its parching rays of incandescense from overhead, half way through its daily revolution. Small rodents scampered about, occupying themselves in the daily accomplishments of their dismal lives. Dust sprayed over three heaving mounts in blinding clouds, while they bore the burdonsome cargoes of their struggling overseers.

"Prepare to embrace your creators in the stygian haunts of hell, barbarian", gasped the first soldier.

"Only after you have kissed the fleeting stead of death, wretch!" returned Grignr.

A sweeping blade of flashing steel riveted from the massive barbarians hide enameled shield as his rippling right arm thrust forth, sending a steel shod blade to the hilt into the soldiers vital organs. The disemboweled mercenary crumpled from his saddle and sank to the clouded sward, sprinkling the parched dust with crimson droplets of escaping life fluid.

The enthused barbarian swilveled about, his shock of fiery red hair tossing robustly in the humid air currents as he faced the attack of the defeated soldier's fellow in arms.

"drat you, barbarian" Shrieked the soldier as he observed his comrade in death.

A gleaming scimitar smote a heavy blow against the renegade's spiked helmet, bringing a heavy cloud over the Ecordian's misting brain. Shaking off the effects of the pounding blow to his head, Grignr brought down his scarlet streaked edge against the soldier's crudely forged hauberk, clanging harmlessly to the left side of his opponent. The soldier's stead whinnied as he directed the horse back from the driving blade of the barbarian. Grignr leashed his mount forward as the hoarsely piercing battle cry of his wilderness bred race resounded from his grinding lungs. A twirling blade bounced harmlessly from the mighty thief's buckler as his rolling right arm cleft upward, sending a foot of blinding steel ripping through the Simarian's exposed gullet. A gasping gurgle from the soldier's writhing mouth as he tumbled to the golden sand at his feet, and wormed agonizingly in his death bed.

Grignr's emerald green orbs glared lustfully at the wallowing soldier struggling before his chestnut swirled mount. His scowling voice reverberated over the dying form in a tone of mocking mirth. "You city bred dogs should learn not to antagonize your better." Reining his weary mount ahead, grignr resumed his journey to the Noregolian city of Gorzam, hoping to discover wine, women, and adventure to boil the wild blood coarsing through his savage veins.

The trek to Gorzom was forced upon Grignr when the soldiers of Crin were leashed upon him by a faithless concubine he had wooed. His scandalous activities throughout the Simarian city had unleashed throngs of havoc and uproar among it's refined patricians, leading them to tack a heavy reward over his head.

He had barely managed to escape through the back entrance of the inn he had been guzzling in, as a squad of soldiers tounced upon him. After spilling a spout of blood from the leader of the mercenaries as he dismembered one of the officer's arms, he retreated to his mount to make his way towards Gorzom, rumoured to contain hoards of plunder, and many young wenches for any man who has the backbone to wrest them away.

Good god

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My head hurts

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I want to murder the person who wrote that.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

To be fair he overdoes it with the adverbs but is fully enthusticated with making up new words.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm using that in my next D&D game

'okay you have to impress the ambassador by taking turns reading a traditional fable of his people without laughing'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

phasmid posted:

I want to murder the person who wrote that.

Bad news there chief...

syscall girl posted:

To be fair he overdoes it with the adverbs but is fully enthusticated with making up new words.

It's the alliteration that gets me. Crumb crisp coating, crumb crisp coating.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Olaf The Stout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjzADJxihA

There's nothing subtle at all about this scene, but it's the only positive movie thread I really follow. The action in this fight scene of Benny The Jet vs. Jackie Chan is loving awesome. Love how Benny looks perhaps a little paunchy, but he's quick as a snake and kicks like he honestly wants to remove Jackie's head from his body.

Holy gently caress
I cannot, cannot imagine what level of physical skill martial artistry you have to have to choreograph these absurd fight scenes without messing up constantly (although I know they do mess up and Jackie Chan’s famous for constantly breaking his own poo poo during filming) and also throw and receive those tremendous punches and kicks with such ability that they don’t (seriously) hurt each other

That cross counter kick they throw early on and that kick Benny does that Jackie Chan completely avoids by rolling with it and at the exact same time kicks him back on the downswing. I wonder how many times they messed that up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jackie Chan's non Hollywood films have a lot more leeway in their production since the government helps finance them, essentially giving him as much time and money as he needs to make every fight scene perfect.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know they put that rug down because they had the set before they thought about trying to stage a fight on tile, but holy poo poo even with the rug down just falling must have hurt like poo poo.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress
I cannot, cannot imagine what level of physical skill martial artistry you have to have to choreograph these absurd fight scenes without messing up constantly (although I know they do mess up and Jackie Chan’s famous for constantly breaking his own poo poo during filming) and also throw and receive those tremendous punches and kicks with such ability that they don’t (seriously) hurt each other

That cross counter kick they throw early on and that kick Benny does that Jackie Chan completely avoids by rolling with it and at the exact same time kicks him back on the downswing. I wonder how many times they messed that up

I can't articulate it this well but want to chime in with a hearty godDAMN of complete agreement. You just know these guys are having so much fun with the intensity, and it shows in the end product. That's a really good scene.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
I've shown the candle kick to a lot of people.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
If I could post another recently-found favorite Jackie Chan scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_BOO7AoJ2M

Holy hell I need to watch more of this guy's early work. What an absolute maniac. For how goofy it starts out, there's a couple clips midway through it looks like Jackie nearly died.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 05:52 on Jan 26, 2019

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Olaf The Stout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOjzADJxihA

There's nothing subtle at all about this scene, but it's the only positive movie thread I really follow. The action in this fight scene of Benny The Jet vs. Jackie Chan is loving awesome. Love how Benny looks perhaps a little paunchy, but he's quick as a snake and kicks like he honestly wants to remove Jackie's head from his body.

Subtle movie moment: the part at around 2:29 in that video is little known to be the basis for the mma style tickling techniques in the documentary Tickled.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s a good fight but the best part is The Jet snapping his suspenders.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite part is dubbing the breathing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Calaveron posted:

Holy gently caress

Jackie Chan is pretty famous for often doing several hundred takes just to get a specific shot right, he's a loving maniac. And yeah, he quite often did gently caress up (sometimes hospitalizing himself) before perfecting the stunt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLqpMge8Fg8&t=30s

Here's one where he absolutely had to get it right the first time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZEVz1V-X4w

As a kid he was trained in classic Peking opera skills (martial arts, acrobatics and tumbling, etc) at the China Drama Academy starting at 6 years old which was a brutal life for a little kid.

Sammo Hung was one of his classmates, here he is talking about life in the Academy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItjNZpL-m8c&t=311s

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I also love how as the fight progresses both just start looking completely battered and bruised. A lot of action movies of those years had the stars looking completely unharmed after big fight scenes

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That barbarian story loving owns.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Calaveron posted:

I also love how as the fight progresses both just start looking completely battered and bruised. A lot of action movies of those years had the stars looking completely unharmed after big fight scenes

That's also one of the reasons why John Wick fuckin slaps, because Keanu just gets more and more beaten up over the course of the movie

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
We're talking about Jackie Chan movies and already talked about his amazing stunt where he annihilated his hands and destroyed a mall, but my favorite Jackie Chan fight is the park fight from Police Story 2. The best moment is 90 seconds in, when you have the beautiful shot of Jackie systemically breaking every bone in some thug's body with a pipe.

Jackie also sang the theme song to the first Police Story movie. I've watched all of his Chinese movies way too many times, but especially in his early movies the thing that gets me is he's so loving fast. The first two Police Story movies feel like they're on fast forward at all times.

I can probably go on for hours about which stunts are the best and weird stories behind every one of them but even if I talked all day I still wouldn't get through his 80s movies. If you've never seen Police Story, fix that right loving now because they're amazing.

Edit: fun fact, the Hong Kong police used the Police Story song as part of their recruitment drives in the 80s. Because who doesn't want to be like Jackie?

Don Gato has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Jan 26, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The bit in Armor of God where he throws some chewing gum against the door and catches it in his mouth took something like 80 takes to get right.

And then he jumped out of a plane and landed on a hot air balloon, no big deal.

Oh yeah and like a month before that he had to have brain surgery to save his life after loving up another stunt and breaking his skull.

No. Big. Deal.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bony tony posted:

That's also one of the reasons why John Wick fuckin slaps, because Keanu just gets more and more beaten up over the course of the movie

The Netflix Punisher series are also like that, pretty much most of the characters get ground up into mincemeat over the course of the show. Frank dishes out a lot of punishment but holy hell does he take a lot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What was the Jackie Chan movie where they're looking for a treasure in an abandoned military base I think that's buried in the desert and there's this giant turbine/fan and obviously the climax was them fighting in that room flying around thanks to the powerful airlift created by said turbine? Fond memories of watching that movie on TV with my dad and brother on a lazy Sunday afternoon