Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Previa_fun posted:

gently caress metal shift knobs too.

I once got a really bling stainless steel weighted shift knob. It was about a pound of metal and even in Ontario, the summer sun would heat it to what seemed like just below red heat. I learned very quickly that driving gloves were required to shift if I didn't want to end up like the guy in the Raiders of the Lost Ark with a shift pattern burnt into my hand. The shift knob was included in a set of parts I sold as a "bonus". Hopefully the new owner has more sense than I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ili posted:

Jesus Christ do you blokes live at the north pole or something? I've never heard of frozen locks before, that's hosed up.

It happened to me a couple times in the DFW region when we'd get our annual ice storm. I'd try to go to work and find a solid inch of ice blocking my door locks from working or freezing my drivers window in place or even freezing the drivers door shut. Ever tried to explain to a cop why you were handing your license and insurance card out of the sunroof when he pulls you over for speeding to work? Its good times when thats all that'll open, lemme tell you.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

Man, imagine living in a frozen wasteland where you have so many issues with just getting into a car, let alone driving it.

*steps outside into the Australian summer, self combusts*

I can't even imagine what it was like growing up in Australia with 70s and 80s cars. It was bad enough here in New Zealand.

I have vivid memories of every brown vinyl surface (of which there were many) in whatever lovely un-airconditioned Vauxhall Chevette or Holden Gemini I had the misfortune if riding in as a child being hotter than the surface of the sun and it never got hotter than very low 30s here.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Elmnt80 posted:

It happened to me a couple times in the DFW region when we'd get our annual ice storm. I'd try to go to work and find a solid inch of ice blocking my door locks from working or freezing my drivers window in place or even freezing the drivers door shut. Ever tried to explain to a cop why you were handing your license and insurance card out of the sunroof when he pulls you over for speeding to work? Its good times when thats all that'll open, lemme tell you.

To go with my post about the burning hot shift knob, I can tell you about my worst frozen lock story (note, I did not say only).

In 1997, I was driving my 84 ford tempo with power nothing. I arrived at work and it was about 3C (37f) and raining, when I left work it was -15c (5f) and clear but the temperature was dropping. Every seal and potential leakage was frozen shut, this includes the locks. None of the locks would turn, they were all internally frozen. Note that the outside of the lock was not frozen over, just the insides. I tried lock deicer. It did nothing. I tried drop kicking the passenger door. It did nothing.

Finally, I went back into work (factory job) and borrowed a blowtorch. I used this on the drivers lock for a few minutes and was able to unlock the door.

The door would still not open. The seal was frozen to the frame.

Eventually, I could open the passenger door (slightly singed) and kick the drivers door open. Half of the weather seal stayed with the frame and that door was never really weather tight again.

I don't know what it was about that car, but I have never had as many frozen doors as with the Ford Tempo. This being said, I keep searching kijiji for these peaces of crap and being relieved when they don't show up.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's a reason you don't see Tempos anywhere, not even junkyards. :colbert:

ili posted:

Jesus Christ do you blokes live at the north pole or something? I've never heard of frozen locks before, that's hosed up.

Even happens in Texas.

DFW gets snow every few years, then warms up enough for it to melt, then cools off enough for it to re-freeze. THAT is what fucks your day week up - all that poo poo re-freezes into a solid layer of ice on the roads. And in your locks.

I've walked out to find my car encased in ice before, including the loving antennas (both radio and OnStar). Weird poo poo. Even with keyless entry and a prybar, it took a good 10-15 minutes to get into the car that day.

Elmnt80 posted:

It happened to me a couple times in the DFW region when we'd get our annual ice storm.

Last one was 2013.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'll take nearly catching fire during the summer in exchange for never having to blowtorch my car open, thanks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sagebrush posted:

My line for when it was a really hot day was when you'd get into the car, burn yourself on every surface, drive around for a while squinting and sweating, get out at your destination, and finally burn your thigh when you put the now-superheated key in your pocket.

I don't remember how long I went before I managed to give myself the ol spicy keychain, but it seems to happen several times a month now in summer.

Any permanent home I ever get will have permanently usable garage parking. Non negotiable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah... black on black car. I'm so loving glad I got the garage cleaned out "enough" to get my car in.

Still fighting an uphill battle trying to get the garage cleaned out enough to actually wrench on the drat thing. Or even walk around to the front (just walking around the back to get out of the garage on foot is a challenge, have to park at just the right angle). Meanwhile my neighbor in the next garage (same size) has a drat Escalade that they park inside just fine. Neighbor on the other side has a 4x4 Rodeo that they constantly wrench on in their garage, with piles of tools stacked on one side. The garages here are loving huge for 1 car garages.

I gave up asking for permission to move poo poo; it just means an hour of fighting over "you haven't opened this box in how many years, and you need it in the garage why? Especially when the storage is climate controlled?!".

This is far from a permanent home, but I'd love to find another apartment with the option of a garage. The ones I'm in now are pretty reasonably priced for the area, but it may be a bit... awkward... once I move out, since I'll still see GF's car (and possibly her) regularly.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 26, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ZincBoy posted:

To go with my post about the burning hot shift knob, I can tell you about my worst frozen lock story (note, I did not say only).

I try not to force the issue to the point of drop kicking the door. Fortunately my fatass body body slamming the door several times usually works. Or always try the other side. Now getting the window to roll down...egads.

Winter. Gotta love it.

And yeah to the other poster, I haven't seen a Tempo in years. Wasn't there some "high performance" version? Like the HSC or something?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The only thing that makes me ever long for an automatic is access to a remote starter.

Not enough to buy one, but it sounds awesome at 7am when I'm scraping the inside of my windshield.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Previa_fun posted:

I found gloves with a thin leather palm and mesh backing just for this in the summer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

thebigcow posted:

I found gloves with a thin leather palm and mesh backing just for this in the summer.

Well look at what we have here. An aristocrat.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

The only thing that makes me ever long for an automatic is access to a remote starter.

Not enough to buy one, but it sounds awesome at 7am when I'm scraping the inside of my windshield.
You know you can put remote starters on manuals too, right?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

STR posted:

Last one was 2013.

I moved to florida in '06.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I watched my dashboard crack in the sun last year. :(

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Colostomy Bag posted:

Well look at what we have here. An aristocrat.

Don't lie, you know you want them too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Krakkles posted:

You know you can put remote starters on manuals too, right?

I am aware. Had a friend who parked his car in gear and sat on his key fob. It wasn't pretty.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Don't lie, you know you want them too.

:v: Find me a pair for less than $10 bucks on Amazon and I will post the feedback from the better half.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Queen Combat posted:

The old GM cars with the separate keys for the ignition and doors (Square/Round) had locks that did not like the cold. Every single one of them I've ever had, we had lock freezing issues when it even got a hair below 25 or so.

My '74 Impala in Madison Wisconsin was like this. I used to carry a creme brulee torch in my backpack to get that fucker open.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

I am aware. Had a friend who parked his car in gear and sat on his key fob. It wasn't pretty.

So like, don't park your car in gear? Also don't most modern cars these days have a neutral sensor?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Heh.

Yeah if this happened today we would stare at the engine compartment wondering where to piss into.

Color me impressed on picking up the reference.

What can I say, I’m old. I was right in the target audience when that came out.

Previa_fun posted:

I thought I wanted a nifty metal ball shift knob, then I remembered that I live in Texas, and already be
At seatbelt buckle scars. Of course, my AS86came with a metal shift knob. Haven’t hurt myself on it yet, but it does get uncomfortable.

Memento posted:

I'll take nearly catching fire during the summer in exchange for never having to blowtorch my car open, thanks.

Or come to Texas, where you can enjoy a little of both!

thebigcow posted:

“String-back gloves, and my automo-love...”

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Beach Bum posted:

So like, don't park your car in gear? Also don't most modern cars these days have a neutral sensor?

No, the safety sensor is on the clutch pedal. Reliably sensing that you're not in any gear is a lot more complicated than just checking whether a pedal is pushed beyond a certain point. Of course you have to bypass that to install a remote starter, and then beyond that you're left relying on the parking brake alone to hold the car in place. I don't know about you but none of my parking brakes have ever been that trustworthy. Gear + brake always.

There are good reasons why every OEM offers remote starters on automatics but not a single one of them will put one on a manual.

IMO remote starters are a silly idea regardless of transmission, the fastest way to warm up your car is to drive it. Idling just makes it spend more time running with cold oil and looser piston rings. If it's that cold that you feel you just can't drive without warming the car up first you probably need a block heater.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

We had block heaters, battery blankets, and oil pan heaters as a near-standard feature on any car when I lived in Fairbanks, AK. Of course, the temp swings could be so severe week-to-week that your tires would lose enough pressure to look flat (35psi at 0F is...a fair bit less at -50F), then freeze that way. It’s a bit of a bumpy ride until that breaks loose :haw:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

wolrah posted:

No, the safety sensor is on the clutch pedal.

As far as I know most transmissions neutral position sensor.

The problem is not just leaving the car in neutral though, it's actually installing a system to use the neutral switch. Years ago working at a shop, I moved some cars out in the morning, obviously parking them in gear. Later that day, another guy goes to pull one back into the shop, uses the remote start, and sends it right into the bushes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I don’t think any of my cars have a neutral position sensor,even the 2008 Kia. I do like the remote start on the Crown Vic, though not for warming up. I live in Texas - this sucker is for getting the AC going.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never warmed up a car to protect the engine, I warm that poo poo up so I don't freeze my rear end off before the heater is working.

I think many remote starts for manual transmissions get around the detecting neutral part by requiring the parking brake being engaged with the engine running. I guess some can detect if the clutch pedal is out and others have you leave the engine on until you get out. Close the door and the engine shuts off and enables remote start.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

jamal posted:

The problem is not just leaving the car in neutral though, it's actually installing a system to use the neutral switch. Years ago working at a shop, I moved some cars out in the morning, obviously parking them in gear. Later that day, another guy goes to pull one back into the shop, uses the remote start, and sends it right into the bushes.

This tangentially reminds me of the time my high school friend called to say she'd managed to total 4 cars without driving any of them.

She'd parked her brother's pickup on a hill with the parking brake engaged, but forgot to put it in gear. It broke loose and rolled backwards, swung down a side street, trampled through the governor's mansion's back yard, rolled over a retaining wall, and landed on top of 3 other cars parked below the wall.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

xzzy posted:

I've never warmed up a car to protect the engine, I warm that poo poo up so I don't freeze my rear end off before the heater is working.

Exactly! It's about comfort, not mechanical coddling. Or to be able to scrape the windshield clear without getting a 20 minute workout. Like those days where you have to use the back side of the scraper to get a foothold in the ice.

And then in the summer to cool it down so I don't get heatstroke.

Denver's great, you really can experience the worst of all seasons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Girlfriend has an 03 Civic EX that has smelled of gas for years, always assumed it was just an EVAP line. Was talking to my Honda tech friend last night and he told me to pull the cover off the fuel tank and let me know what I find.

Pulled the cover, primed the car, and it sprayed fuel out of some cracks in the top of the pump. :suicide:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

Girlfriend has an 03 Civic EX that has smelled of gas for years, always assumed it was just an EVAP line. Was talking to my Honda tech friend last night and he told me to pull the cover off the fuel tank and let me know what I find.

Pulled the cover, primed the car, and it sprayed fuel out of some cracks in the top of the pump. :suicide:

:kingsley:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

jamal posted:

As far as I know most transmissions neutral position sensor.

The remote start in my Gf's car doesn't work unless the shutdown procedure is followed, which is pull the handbrake 3 times, leaving it engaged, and get out of the car and walk away. It'll turn itself off 5 seconds after the door is closed, lock itself, and allow remote start. If you do anything to the car afterwards (open a door, unlock the doors, hit the lock button, etc) it disables the remote start.

I'm looking into them now, this winters been loving cold.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

No, the safety sensor is on the clutch pedal. Reliably sensing that you're not in any gear is a lot more complicated than just checking whether a pedal is pushed beyond a certain point

FWIW, my 99 (manual) Altima had what was labeled as a "backup light switch", but had enough wires to tell exactly what gear it was in. And the contacts from the transmission side did exactly that. There was definitely a neutral position, and the ECM was aware of what gear it was in. I have no loving clue what purpose this served though.

My 06 Saturn also knows if I've knocked it into neutral - if I do so with the cruise on, it immediately drops to idle and shuts off cruise.

Said 06 Saturn also snapped a parking brake cable recently, so I can't park it in neutral even if I wanted to. Austin has rolling hills in some parts of town, it makes delivery.... interesting, especially with the really tall gearing and questionable compression of the engine (it'll turn over in gear even on a fairly slight incline).

BlackMK4 posted:

Taking lessons from GM's Delta platform I see. Mine's doing that neat trick from the return line. :kingsley: At least GM has a "lifetime" enhanced warranty that covers this exact scenario, but I've been too lazy to get it to a dealer.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Neutral sensors are a thing mostly in cars with Stop&Start I think.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

honda whisperer posted:

The good ones have interlocks to avoid precisely this kind of entertainment.

jamal posted:

Aaaaand that’s why you use an interlock and not a dumb witch.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jan 27, 2019

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The cap on my work truck has the shittiest locks I've ever seen. The entire thing ices up in fall and spring. Ice in every crevice of the lock, not just in the keyhole. It gets so cold the yellow gas torch gets too cold to use and it takes like 3 bottles of de-icer to even get the things to start moving. I used to use a lighter and heat up a key but that takes forever, so recently I've just started shooting butane into the keyhole and setting the loving thing on fire. Works a treat.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

evil_bunnY posted:

Aaaaand that’s why you use an interlock and not a dumb witch.

Until it's federally mandated, that's a non-starter. :v:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Are heated doorlocks not a thing in the states?

When I still had my e36 you had to pull the door handle for 3 seconds and it would automatically de ice the doorlocks, was quite fast too.

Also, if you buy a new car and can spare the money, get a fuel powered pre-heater. Never gotta scrape ice, the car is nice and warm and the engine starts pre heated and you only have to run it for 20 minutes or so whereas a block heater needs hours to reach the same temp.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 27, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't think I've ever heard of a heated lock before.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Combat Theory posted:

Are heated doorlocks not a thing in the states?

When I still had my e36 you had to pull the door handle for 3 seconds and it would automatically de ice the doorlocks, was quite fast too.

Also, if you buy a new car and can spare the money, get a fuel powered pre-heater. Never gotta scrape ice, the car is nice and warm and the engine starts pre heated and you only have to run it for 20 minutes or so whereas a block heater needs hours to reach the same temp.

I think these things are "extreme frozen wastes" options only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Times when I could use heated locks, my handles (and door gaps) are also covered in a solid layer of ice.

I once busted the drivers side door handle of a Corolla completely off trying to pull it through ice.