Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

Plus it gave us Manu Bennett.

Crixus is a character that's so loving good they had an entire episode devoted to killing Romans in his honour after he died. (Yes, I know it was a real thing that happened, it's still dope.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Last Boyscout is up on Hulu, and always makes for a fun rewatch. Prime-cut Shane Black action script, wild Tony Scott directing, a strong reminder of the charisma that made Bruce Willis a star, and one of the most over-the-top villain deaths in all of cinema. Recommend.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fart City posted:

The Last Boyscout is up on Hulu, and always makes for a fun rewatch. Prime-cut Shane Black action script, wild Tony Scott directing, a strong reminder of the charisma that made Bruce Willis a star, and one of the most over-the-top villain deaths in all of cinema. Recommend.

The 'drawing a bomb' scene is one of the best fusions of comedy and action I can remember.

LesterGroans posted:

Crixus is a character that's so loving good they had an entire episode devoted to killing Romans in his honour after he died. (Yes, I know it was a real thing that happened, it's still dope.)

He almost, but not quite, makes the Shannara chronicles good. Even he's not that good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The spectrum of face-chopping with this ^^ at one end and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amrmWyKz48k

at the other :o:

...did his brain just fall out of his skull?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

thrawn527 posted:

Of course the brain just floats in the skull like an egg in its shell, it’s certainly not anchored anywhere at all :o:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

How sharp must that sword have been to slice through that much solid bone

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Per this thread’s recommendation, I watched The Man From Nowhere over the weekend, and it was loving rad, I appreciate any movie that makes me cheer for the equivalent of a CIA agent. Really brutal fight scenes, and I’m glad it put so much time building the friendship between So-mi and Cha, it made the fights so much more emotional. I also like that it’s a borderline noir film, with a twisty story and a darkness hiding under a very thin cover.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The spectrum of face-chopping with this ^^ at one end and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amrmWyKz48k

at the other :o:

oh my god the way his brain slides out at the end

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can't remember which Mortal Kombat finisher they stole.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Oh yeah, if you haven't watched Spartacus you totally should. The action scenes are crappy for the first couple episodes, kind of cel-shaded something, but it gets a lot better. The thing I heard that really made me appreciate it even more was someone saying that it's a show that is how it would be if the Romans of the time made it.

Edit: Just tits! Action! Gore!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's a fact that the Romans had fairly advanced cosmetology, even among the working class, but even I was surprised at the level of breast implant technology in Republican Rome.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

It's a fact that the Romans had fairly advanced cosmetology, even among the working class, but even I was surprised at the level of breast implant technology in Republican Rome.

Pleasantly surprised?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I hope Lucy Lawless lives forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Halloween Jack posted:

Those weren't the result of medical science, but offerings to Aphrodite.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I hope Lucy Lawless lives forever.

Seems like she's on track to do it, I feel like she hasn't aged since 1997.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Spartacus might be one of the greatest TV shows ever made, if not the absolute greatest.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Spartacus might be one of the greatest TV shows ever made, if not the absolute greatest.

Second.

The most impressive part is that, even in the third season, they're finding new and astonishing ways of killing people. I can imagine them in the writer's room going "Have we stoned somoene to death yet?"

Also, the battle in the finale is genuinely among the best battle/action scenes on television, alongside the sieges of Paris in Vikings.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My favorite thing about Equilibrium is the realization that Sean Bean really isn't safe in any loving movie. He's sitting alone in a church reading a book and what happens? He gets shot in the face.

Try Stormy Monday, his first lead role. He's fourth-billed behind Sting, Tommy Lee Jones, and Melanie Griffith.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Sean Bean doesn’t bite it in Ronin!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sean Bean doesn’t bite it in Ronin!

Or in Troy!

...though he plays Odysseus, so he’s about to have a bad run after the events of the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Or in Troy!

...though he plays Odysseus, so he’s about to have a bad run after the events of the movie.

100% forgot that he was even in that movie.

I've always had a soft spot for Troy, it's just so over the top but also it's a period piece with a huge budget. You don't see many movies like that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

100% forgot that he was even in that movie.

I've always had a soft spot for Troy, it's just so over the top but also it's a period piece with a huge budget. You don't see many movies like that.

The fight between Hector and Achilles was cool and a little unique. I wish we got more movies trying to do choreography fights with spears and shields, instead of always doing sword on sword, since it's so much easier to choreograph. Sadly, the score for it in the Director's cut isn't nearly as good as in the theatrical.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Troy, and the Rock Hercules movie are really weird. They're not period pieces, but they all make a point of being like "This is the historical origin of the myth." It doesn't make any sense.

(Even Singh's Immortals, which is explicitly a fantasy and an homage to the cheesy old peplum films, features the Minotaur as a guy in a helmet. I don't get it.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 25, 2019

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

Halloween Jack posted:

Troy, and the Rock Hercules movie are really weird. They're not period pieces, but they all make a point of being like "This is the historical origin of the myth." It doesn't make any sense.

(Even Singh's Immortals, which is explicitly a fantasy and an homage to the cheesy old peplum films, features the Minotaur as a guy in a helmet. I don't get it.)

I think Troy was trying to cash in the Gladiator thing, and have a bunch of the cast standing around saying portentous things about fate and gods and whatnot in between huge action sequences. They probably figured it would be too much of a risk with audiences and critics to tangle with the supernatural aspects of the Iliad at all (imo if you're not going to to do any greek mythology in your Trojan War movie, what's the point?). The Clive Own King Arthur movie was also from 2004 and does the same game of "the REAL story behind the myth!" They wanted to have the big battles and scope of a Lord of the Rings with the box office returns and critical acclaim of a Gladiator, and I think they weakened both elements by backing away from engaging in any of the supernatural or "unrealistic" elements in the source material.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been watching Vikings lately and it has some pretty cool actions scenes.

Then when they finally get to the big invasion of England they just do a charge and a fade to black. No fighting what so ever. Complete bullshit. I guess the budget had shrunk from when they had tons of people fighting in the sack of Paris.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MrBling posted:

Then when they finally get to the big invasion of England they just do a charge and a fade to black. No fighting what so ever. Complete bullshit. I guess the budget had shrunk from when they had tons of people fighting in the sack of Paris.

Rome was pretty bad about this. Also early Game of Thrones avoided showing large fights at all costs.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Godzilla 2014 doing that pissed me off so bad.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

Which invasion of England? Because there's a really big battle involving the great heathen army.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Snowman_McK posted:

Which invasion of England? Because there's a really big battle involving the great heathen army.

The very first one involving the great heathen army. Where King Aella rides out to face them.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Spartacus is the greatest show ever made

I watched the first few episodes. It was bad. Then I went to my friends house to work out with him one day and he was watching it. I watched the last 20 minutes or so of an episode and said, "wow. That wasnt as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'll start watching it now." He then told me I had just watched the ending of the series finale.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

MrBling posted:

The very first one involving the great heathen army. Where King Aella rides out to face them.

Ah. Yeah. Don't worry, there's plenty of battles later on.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

Gejimayu posted:

I watched the first few episodes. It was bad. Then I went to my friends house to work out with him one day and he was watching it. I watched the last 20 minutes or so of an episode and said, "wow. That wasnt as bad as I remembered. Maybe I'll start watching it now." He then told me I had just watched the ending of the series finale.

Haha, I hope the news that Spartacus dies at the end isn't ruining the whole plot for you, since it kind of have to ends that way, with how it went in history. It's pretty good, even with the second season being a prequel of the first, and then the third being after the first. Like I said, the action, at least, gets way better as the show goes on.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Never watched after they switched sparticaii.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

Never watched after they switched sparticaii.

You should. Those two seasons are the show's strongest.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

The problem with the first two episodes is that they're not really a good indicator of what the show is. The first episode is a bunch of sets and characters who don't appear again while the second episode is kind of similar in that it is all set up for what is actually going to happen.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
drat Upgrade is good. If you haven't watched Upgrade you should watch Upgrade.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Wandle Cax posted:

:emptyquote:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Wandle Cax posted:

Solid little movie, and I appreciate that it was made on like $5-10 million. Looks and feels really slick for such a low budget.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Saw Polar, felt like somebody who saw Paul Verhoven at his peak and decided to ditch most of the satire and just go with the tonal whiplash and the violence. With a healthy dose of pulp and John Wick.

It was pretty good, worth watching, not the greatest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I enjoyed Polar, but it's extremely stupid when these exxxtremely silly action movies go "If I can be serious for a minute..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Veering into TV show talk a bit.

I subbed to Amazon Prime Video the other day (mainly for The Grand Tour) but I did also find and then spend all of Saturday watching TOM CLANCY'S Jack Ryan.

It is a pretty enjoyable show with some cool action stuff. John Krasinski gets to be a reluctant action man and Wendell Pierce gets to be a hardass CIA guy.