Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

smokescreen for as long as you can and ghost outta there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pro tier page snipe advice really.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I got the wrong item shipped from some place and so I called to get it fixed. A prerecorded voice told me they had an extremely high call volume but they could call me back when it was my turn. An hour later, I get called back to listen to an advertisement, then I hear a ringback tone, and then about twenty seconds of silence. Then a prerecorded voice asks me on a scale of one to five if I would hire that representative for my own business.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Modus Pwnens posted:

I got the wrong item shipped from some place and so I called to get it fixed. A prerecorded voice told me they had an extremely high call volume but they could call me back when it was my turn. An hour later, I get called back to listen to an advertisement, then I hear a ringback tone, and then about twenty seconds of silence. Then a prerecorded voice asks me on a scale of one to five if I would hire that representative for my own business.

Well, would you?

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Well, would you?

*click*

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What was this? It's been deleted

Smappdi
Oct 12, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

What was this? It's been deleted

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I love that picture and I desperately need context

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Admiral Bosch posted:

I love that picture and I desperately need context

The republic is failing

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Local Weather posted:

I was hired at a foreign subsidiary of a major American corporation to build a specialized software system. During my project one of the other projects going on, one with substantially more attention from the top falls behind, like way behind. To try and fix this the company takes my entire development team and assigns them to the failing project. They then tell me that I have to present my project to corporate review as complete, we pass the review and are now in maintenance mode. The dev team I have been working with for two years proceed to all leave the company so not only does my project come to a screeching halt, the other project gets nothing from it.

I am told to get my team back I have to go out and get customers to agree to a beta test project with the system. It is not finished, it is marginally functional, but I have to do this to continue on. I manage to get a beta site, I am told that I still won't have a dev team for several months, as to how I am supposed to deal with this I have to figure that out for myself.

In a week or two I will be in an office with people expecting to be able to do stuff in the system and frankly I will be pretty loving surprised if they don't throw me out of their offices.

The tech industry is so full of complete bullshit it's incredible that anything gets done.

At my engineering job something happened a few months ago and now everything has to be scheduled down to the finest detail even when there are tons of unknowns and the leads times are total mysteries. Initially this lead to missing artificial deadlines which lead to wrist-slapping from upper management. So the next round we baked in a bunch of slack to account for unknowns the best we could. So we get accused of sandbagging and not working hard enough.

Now we are being asked to document our hours worked on every individual thing down to the 15-minute block. There was a big team meeting today to inform us that "everything is critical and needs to move faster" and we are now expected to work from home, on weekends, and after hours.

Oh, and none of these projects have actual customers identified yet. All this whip-cracking is totally self imposed and arbitrary.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Salvor_Hardin posted:

At my engineering job something happened a few months ago and now everything has to be scheduled down to the finest detail even when there are tons of unknowns and the leads times are total mysteries. Initially this lead to missing artificial deadlines which lead to wrist-slapping from upper management. So the next round we baked in a bunch of slack to account for unknowns the best we could. So we get accused of sandbagging and not working hard enough.

Now we are being asked to document our hours worked on every individual thing down to the 15-minute block. There was a big team meeting today to inform us that "everything is critical and needs to move faster" and we are now expected to work from home, on weekends, and after hours.

Oh, and none of these projects have actual customers identified yet. All this whip-cracking is totally self imposed and arbitrary.

Time to unionize.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Technologists Guild or bust.

Jealously guard all secrets. Have membership rings.

Let the machines which disemploy the world be owned by the Guild.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Doggles posted:

https://twitter.com/mattyhoyeCNN/status/1088467960543539204

"Go into debt to work the job you're not getting paid for" -Economic advice from billionaire Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Accretionist posted:

Technologists Guild or bust.

Jealously guard all secrets. Have membership rings.

Let the machines which disemploy the world be owned by the Guild.

genius. call an industrial tech union a guild and you'll have all the horrid nerds who recoil from the idea of unions jumping at the chance to join.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Pretty sure the name that'll get em all has already been dreamed up; Adeptus Mechanicus.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jack/status/1089261299073048581

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Yeah I find time really slows right down when I'm dehydrating to death. The gently caress

It's a generally accepted rule of survival in a harsh environment you can survive three weeks without food, three hours without shelter and three days without water. What a tool. If he had a physical job he'd probably be on the point of collapse.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Outrail posted:

Yeah I find time really slows right down when I'm dehydrating to death. The gently caress

It's a generally accepted rule of survival in a harsh environment you can survive three weeks without food, three hours without shelter and three days without water. What a tool. If he had a physical job he'd probably be on the point of collapse.

water fast means he only had water for 3 days like a poor person waiting for a paycheck.

He's larping a poor person

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tastykake posted:

genius. call an industrial tech union a guild and you'll have all the horrid nerds who recoil from the idea of unions jumping at the chance to join.

Video game companies tried the guild model. It went poorly.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

You can sell any kind of eating-disordered bullshit to men as long as you tell them it's about code productivity gains apparently

Emergency Squid
Dec 29, 2009

The days feel even longer when you have to live like this and you're unemployed. Ask me how I know.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

love to starve so much my day feels a week long

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Emergency Squid posted:

The days feel even longer when you have to live like this and you're unemployed. Ask me how I know.

yes, yes they do

Jack probably gets it, he's about as employed as he wants to be on a given day

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

xposting from NZpol thread:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/381030/charity-feeds-thousands-of-school-children-each-week

quote:

The children's charity said it was now feeding 20 percent of the students at the 742 schools it supported.

On average 30,000 children each week are getting food from the charity.

That's about 5% of the school aged population relying on a charity for breakfast. And yet on all the measures economists care about (GDP growth, unemployment etc) NZ is doing really well.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Truga posted:

love to starve so much my day feels a week long

Thats why trmup has been president for 100 years

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
lmao the ceo of a company on a three day water fast.

Like can you loving imagine how moody and irate he was at like hour 50 of that poo poo? How many people do you think got fired because the Dumbest Man In Silicon Valley was throwing a temper tantrum because he wanted a "spiritual experience"

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Bushiz posted:

lmao the ceo of a company on a three day water fast.

Like can you loving imagine how moody and irate he was at like hour 50 of that poo poo? How many people do you think got fired because the Dumbest Man In Silicon Valley was throwing a temper tantrum because he wanted a "spiritual experience"

but dont you understand/. capitalism is the most efficient way to allocate resources and labor

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

As someone who sometimes can't eat or sleep for days on end jack can go gently caress himself with his dumb silicon valley fad

giving nerds money was the final nail in the coffin of capitalism

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

When's he going to start replacing parts of his body to "simplify" his life

"I no longer need to waste time brushing my teeth because I simply got rid of them"

"I can move much faster with no legs using a motorized wheelchair"

"I replaced my vocal cords with a custom speech synthesizer"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

"I no longer need to waste time brushing my teeth because I simply got rid of them"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gIMZ0WyY88

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

bike tory posted:

xposting from NZpol thread:

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/381030/charity-feeds-thousands-of-school-children-each-week

That's about 5% of the school aged population relying on a charity for breakfast. And yet on all the measures economists care about (GDP growth, unemployment etc) NZ is doing really well.

When they had to reduce the school week to 4 days a week because of GOP austerity-manufactured "budget crises" in my city, the school system was seriously worried because a significant percentage of the kids' only reliable meal of the day was at school. That was also an argument they've made in favor of year-round schooling, too. What do you think that level of "nutrition" does to a developing brain?

We're dying a death by a thousand cuts.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Powershift posted:

water fast means he only had water for 3 days like a poor person waiting for a paycheck.

He's larping a poor person

Well I'm dumb but still not as dumb as that dummy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its cool how he just wants to be the dude from count zero that's just a tumorous mass spilling across multiple nutrient vats who communicates exclusively through vr

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Fried Watermelon posted:

no joke one of the things I would do if I won the lottery/got infinite money would be to have my teeth torn out and replaced with some sort of stainless ceramic, gently caress teeth

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Evilreaver posted:

no joke one of the things I would do if I won the lottery/got infinite money would be to have my teeth torn out and replaced with some sort of stainless ceramic, gently caress teeth

How about something like this?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Porcelain looks better.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Darth Walrus posted:

Video game companies tried the guild model. It went poorly.

quote:

Under the heading ‘Our Philosophy’ is this quote: “A guild works best when you have trust in those around you to carry out tasks and when you show loyalty by performing your best at all times. A guild can only be successful if every member works together and performs as a team to accomplish the goals of the guild.”

yeah this sounds like corp speak for a hell environment and not a guild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Remember when I said if ATC went on strike the government would reopen immediately? Well the day the deal was reached to reopen the government was the first day when flights were actually delayed due to a lack of ATC personnel and I bet that's the only reason and there's no other context so I guessed I called it :smug: