Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

U-DO Burger posted:

Sabaody was probably was most fun I had reading an arc one chapter per week. Every single chapter had some massive thing happen and it was just dense with worldbuilding

agreed. i binged once piece and started reading real time right around the beginning of sabaody. i was captivated, i hit the manga at a time when the author decided to really gently caress with the formula and blow the entire world apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I remember when some people thought Usopp would get a separate bounty from Sogeking for crushing the noble with some butt nickname.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bobjr posted:

I remember when some people thought Usopp would get a separate bounty from Sogeking for crushing the noble with some butt nickname.

That would have been super funny.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 511: "Axe-Wielding Sentoumaru"

"PX-4"? Does that mean there are at least 3 others?? It took so much to bring one down! OH, THERE'S ANOTHER ONE. AND NOW KIZARU IS HERE, AAAAAA gently caress, legitimately how in the world is the gang gunna get away from this? They're all so hurt... I was right though, he does have a light fruit! Oh gently caress, Rayleigh came to help! How did he land a hit on Kizaru?

Chopper is hulking out again! Oh, and the REAL Kuma is here! He has the book! AND ZORO IS GONE, OKAY.

Kuma made the fake go away too?? NO, NOT BROOK! NOOOOOOOO. He... Made all of them vanish!! What's he doing to them?? Even Luffy... What the hell happened???

They really are sent flying! And Luffy landed in a paw print? Oh, he landed in the land of amazons?? GORGEOUS GOLDEN BALLS! Huh, the Hebihime is one of the warlords! drat, she turned the entire crew to stone! She seems kinda like a bit of a bitch.

Man, Boa is such a bitch. How the hell is Luffy gunna convince her to take him somewhere? Or will he just sneak onto her ship? Oh! Luffy saw her back! But he hasn't turned to stone yet...

Hahaha Luffy is so not horny that Boa's poo poo doesn't work on him, that owns. (She's going to OBLITERATE Sanji). Margaret seems like the only one with any sense in this country. Oh, and now she's a statue. KICK BOA'S rear end, LUFFY!

Ah, the snake sisters are using Haki! That's what the priests in skypeia used, right? To see the future and do other weird magic stuff? Luffy needs to learn more about that! Huh, apparently he used it??

God, Boa is such a huge bitch. At least she kept up her end of the bargain and returned Margaret and the others to life. I wonder what's up with their backs, though. HEY WHY ARE YOU NAKED, IS THERE FOOD HERE? God Luffy is the best. Huh, so the sisters (and hachi) used to be slaves... Oh poo poo, she's actually going to lend Luffy her ship! Nice!!

Luffy is finally realizing Ace is in some deep poo poo! Oh God, is Boa in love with Luffy??? On the plus side, she's being less of a bitch now.

Nope, still kicking cute animals, still a bitch. Ooh, Nami landed on an island that studies weather! I hope she gets some new tricks up her sleeve! Franky landed on a tundra, and oh my god his dance. SUPERRRR! Ohhh, all the crew members landed on places that are good for them! Where they can learn new skills! So why did Luffy get sent to the lady island, maybe cus it's full of adventure? Oh, I guess Sanji didn't exactly get what he wanted.

drat, Herculese'n is cool! Oh, Robin is a worker now...I guess it was just a coincidence that Nami and Franky got sent to places perfect for them. Wow, Robin and Chopper aren't even in the grand line anymore! They have so far to go to get back... Oh! Zoro landed where Perona is! Ooh, a shot of almost all the warlords! I love how all of them are monstrously huge, except Mihawk, who's just a normal-sized dude.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't wait for Hancock to show up again

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
boa's reaction to luffy smushing out the celestial dragon is better than luffy actually laying him low and is one of my favourite moments

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

drjuggalo posted:

boa's reaction to luffy smushing out the celestial dragon is better than luffy actually laying him low and is one of my favourite moments

dont remember this

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Your reactions during the next two arcs is gonna be amazing. You have literally hit the longest stretch of peak One Piece and there is no getting off this wild ride now.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

scary ghost dog posted:

dont remember this

i shoulda said when she found out about it in the throne room

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I wish I could re-read the arc you're on right now with no memory of what's happening. You're going to be on a wild rear end ride from Waters 7 to Punk Hazard.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RealFoxy posted:

I wish I could re-read the arc you're on right now with no memory of what's happening. You're going to be on a wild rear end ride from Waters 7 to Punk Hazard.

I rewatch the Water 7 Arc to Marineford from time to time. That stretch is some of the best manga story writing EVER.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I thought fishman island was kind of lame

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

No-one in history has ever described Fishman Island as a wild-rear end ride. The lead-up is pretty fun though, with one of my all-time favourite comedy moments in the series:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i love fishman island for all the flashback stuff.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 525: "The Sea Floor Prison Impel Down"

BUGGY PIRATES ARE BACK! Also aww, Garp talking with Ace is sad... Buggy got thrown in Impel down! Wait, Ace is friends with the Buggy pirates? Hahaha they just turned around to abandon him. But Buggy escaped?? I guess seastone bars won't stop him.

Hell yeah, jailbreak time! Hey, Luffy ran into Buggy! I love how Luffy is all "I promise not to cause a scene!" and then immediately gets caught and starts screaming at Buggy. Oh God, Buggy wants that armband? That's no good, it's gotta be something really special! Ohh, it's a treasure map thing, cool! Holy gently caress, Luffy is surfing on Buggy's body, this is rad as hell. Mr 3! He's on level 2! He should be on level 3.

So that's Jinbe, the last of the warlords! He's huge too! He seems like a cool dude.

Oh my god, are Buggy and Mr 3 going to misfortune their way down to level 5 with Luffy?

So someone escaped 20 years ago! The flying pirate... I bet he's real strong! Man, I love Garp, he's just laughing off the fact that Luffy is practically overthrowing the government. SALDEATH! He's so cute! Oh hey, Bon Clay is back!

They raised the drawbridge, Luffy can't escape now... I mean, I guess he could escape hiding in Boa's coat again, but how will he get Ace out? Bon Clay is helping out Luffy! I knew he was a good dude all along!

So many minoanimals! Aww, the minorhinoserous is shy! Fuuuuck here comes Magellan! drat, Luffy's gunna sacrifice his arms??

Hahaha Mr 3 and Buggy just got owned. Oh no, Luffy's getting owned too! He's completely covered in poison, how's he going to live..? Aww, Bon Clay admits he's friends with Luffy! I don't know how Luffy is going to survive, though, he's been in the poison for so long...

Huh, another scene of dragging someone dying through a tundra to try and find a doctor that can cure them. Neat! Whoooa did Luffy use the haki again? It's so cool!

Oh, it's Frank N. Furter Emporio! She can DEATH WINK! Oh, and she can turn guys into gals. She's a walking deviantart! drat, Luffy's undergoing some rough treatmen- WAIT, two days?? But Ace's execution is in only 10 hours!

Goddamn, this is going to take 10 years off of Luffy's life?? That's a pretty big price to pay, but better than dying now I guess. Ohhh, Emporio manipulates hormones, cool! LUFFY DID IT! YEEAAAH!

gently caress, they're too late, and now they're trapped! Huh, Crocodile wants to work with Luffy? Huh, I guess desperate times, huh? Maybe I'll get to see what Jinbei can do, too! Ooh, he has some kind of delayed aoe punch or something? ANYWAYS, HERE WE COME, MARINE HEADQUARTERS!

Ohhhh shiiiiit Blackbeard went to Impel Down! Is he after Luffy? What does he care about that bounty anymore, he's already a warlord! Also, I never get tired of people being surprised when Luffy downs someone in a single blow. It's always so great.

BLACKBEARD IS HERE, poo poo. He finally gunna get to see him go up against Luffy? But Luffy hasn't got time to fight him!

Oh, just a few traded punches. Blackbeard doesn't a tually seem like he wants to take in Luffy, just what is he after? Are Blackbeard and Shiliew working together?? Blackbeard is actually pretty cool, I'm not sure if he's evil or an rear end in a top hat or just very selfish when it comes to getting what he wants. I wonder how much he cares about his crew members, and what he'd do to protect them. He seems very similar to Luffy, in some twisted ways. Like a Luffy gone down the wrong path. I hope we see a lot more of him soon! Of course as soon as I say that, he gets covered in poison. Can he use his darkness to suck it up, maybe?

NOOOO did Iva really lose?! How could she?! Crab guy, too! Well, at least Mr 3 is helping, finally!

Mr 3 made wax fists for Luffy, now he can fight!! Hahaha the crew surfing on Jinbe is great. Jinbe himself is rad as hell, too! I love his water attacks! IVA IS HUUUGE! I'm glad she's okay! Whoa, Jinbe can even talk to sharks! Everyone escaped successfully, they actually made it out!! TIME TO GO KICK MARINEFORD'S rear end AND SAVE ACE!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The mention of the flying pirate's escape from Impel Down isn't followed up on in the story proper, but one of the movies. Gold I think?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The mention of the flying pirate's escape from Impel Down isn't followed up on in the story proper, but one of the movies. Gold I think?

Strong World. It's set just after Thriller Bark, give or take a few non-canon departures.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Was impel down that short or did codfish go that quickly?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yeah it was only like 25 chapters

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Yeah I never noticed how short it was despite so how much happening.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't there a Chapter 0 or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there a Chapter 0 or something?

Yeah, it was a tie-in with Strong World taking place before the events of the series. It was released as both a one shot manga (I think) and an animated special.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

watching blackbeards long game come into fruition in impel down was a big 'oh poo poo' moment, and it kinda has me wondering what his current plan is, given that he's seemingly not going after the rio poneglyphs

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

watching blackbeards long game come into fruition in impel down was a big 'oh poo poo' moment, and it kinda has me wondering what his current plan is, given that he's seemingly not going after the rio poneglyphs

If I had to guess it was consolidate power first and then, depending on the state of the world:
-go after the Rio Poneglyphs himself with his huge rear end crew of terrors and overwhelm them in a war
-wait for someone else to gather the poneglyphs, then swoop in either once that happens or at raftel

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Buggy is the best.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crosspeice posted:

Buggy is the best.

This is legit one of my favorite parts of the Impel Down breakout. It's so fuckin great. Then he just meekly goes "oh, yeah, well it's a cannonball that..." and Luffy is just like "oh ok I guess" after.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

mabels big day posted:

i love fishman island for all the flashback stuff.

My blistering hot take is always gonna be that the actual story FI was trying to tell about generational hatred was real good but was dragged down something fierce by sharing screen time with the whole “AW MAN GUYS ITS A TIMESKIP LOOK AT ALL THE COOL poo poo EVERYONE except luffy and zoro LEARNED HOW TO DO” poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Last Celebration posted:

My blistering hot take is always gonna be that the actual story FI was trying to tell about generational hatred was real good but was dragged down something fierce by sharing screen time with the whole “AW MAN GUYS ITS A TIMESKIP LOOK AT ALL THE COOL poo poo EVERYONE except luffy and zoro LEARNED HOW TO DO” poo poo.

In all the anime's horrible decisions and laziness, the worst thing it ever did is still adding in a flashback of Hodi and his crew being attacked by slavers.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gyges posted:

In all the anime's horrible decisions and laziness, the worst thing it ever did is still adding in a flashback of Hodi and his crew being attacked by slavers.

lol what the hell, that completely undermines his entire character

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yes. Yes it does.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

U-DO Burger posted:

lol what the hell, that completely undermines his entire character

Yet still include the scene where, when asked what humans did to him, he says "Nothing."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Glad I switched to the manga at that point. I still like Fishman Island, but maybe just because I love ocean life.

The Impel Down arc being so relatively short is actually pretty fitting given it specifically was a race against time, and didn't even do the shonen thing of time not actually mattering because the heroes always arrive just in time no matter what they do. (and of course, it ultimately ends in Luffy dramatically failing at what he set out to do)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

i can agree with this

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Zoro casually sinking a ship because he accidentally got on the wrong one is one of those often forgotten moments that are great for me.

Along with him and Luffy just kinda forgetting the bubble barrier shouldn't be popped so they can get fish.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Chapter 548: "Thank You"

Whoa, the gates of justice are opening! How come?? Oh, is it Blackbeard? DID BON CLAY STAY BEHIND???

Even in hell,
The single flower known as friendship blooms.
As waves break on the shore,
It leaves its pedals as mementos.
May it one day bloom again,
Okama way.

Hahaha, Buggy's past is catching up with him in the most hilarious way possible. Maybe this will help give him the confidence to succeed?

Y'know, why does Ace need to be executed at 3pm? Couldn't the Marines just... Execute him right now?? I guess that would risk pissing off Whitebeard, but they already expect a full-scale attack, wouldn't killing Ace up-front just remove one possible threat? Wait, Ace was in the womb for twenty months? Holy poo poo. GOL D ROGER WAS ACE'S DAD, WHAT? HOLY poo poo. So he's Luffy's half brother?? Wait, but if Ace's mom died after giving birth, how is he related to Luffy?? Is Ace adopted?

Ohh shiiit, so Whitebeard was actually grooming Ace to be the next Pirate King. Huh, who's opening the gates of justice this time?? Garp? WHITEBEARD CAME FROM UNDER WATER! You'd think the Marines would have accounted for that...

Hahahaha Luffy going "Oh yeah, Ace's dad was Gold Roger, keep it a secret, K?" Whoa, what is whitebeard's ability? His ability is to own Ace over and over and over. He can crack reality?! He causes earthquakes! I wonder how thoroughly he can control it. Like can he cause earth spikes to rise up?

Holy christ is this an entire chapter of two pages spreads? Whoa! One of Mohawk's slashes was blocked!!

Wow, Marco's power is loving strong, is he invincible?? Huh, is Akainu a magma man? Volcano man? There sure are a lot of fire-based fruits here.

Oars Jr! HES USING AN ENTIRE SHIP AS A WEAPON! Nooo, Doflamingo cut off his leg! And Moria speared him!! I liked Oars Jr!

Oh drat, Whitebeard can cause earthquakes even in people themselves, no wonder he's so strong!

Ah, Coby and Helmeppo! They overheard... Ace will be executed early!! HERE COMES LUFFY, FALLIN FROM THE FUCKIN SKY

Haha, Luffy fuckin shouting to the entire arena SHUT UP WHITEBEARD, I'M THE ONE WHO'LL BE KING! This is fantastic.

Welp, the secret of Luffy's dad is out. Luffy vs Smoker again! It's been a long while, Luffy's gotten a lot stronger! Hey, wait, if Smoker's baton is season, how does he wield it? Shouldn't it disable his own powers? I guess he has gloves on... WHAT, KUMA IS DEAD?? NOOOO!

Hancock is kinda growing on me. I like how she looks down on people so dramatically that she's actually looking up. Luffy vs Mihawk, LET'S ROCK! I'm sure this will end well! More seriously though, I'm excited to see how well Luffy holds up against him now, considering how huge of a power gap there was last time we saw Hawkeyes fight.

Hawkeye just loving cutting the ice burg in half Holy DAAAAAAAAAAMN! Oh great, now there's a loving army of kumas.

THAT SQUARD DUDE STABBED WHITEBEARD? WHO THE gently caress IS HE??

Oh man, is Whitebeard betraying all the other pirates?? Or maybe not, it was just Akainu loving with things. Either way, Whitebeard is joining the fight!!

Nooo, the Moby Dick is burning up and sinking! Just like the Merry...LUFFY IS UP AGAINST ALL THREE ADMIRALS!

Oh poo poo, Luffy got shot by the beam! Right through his chest! And now Garp is fighting, too!!

Whitebeard! Marco! Everyone is falling!! But Luffy's is back up, GO SAVE THE DAAAAY!

Goddamn, Whitebeard is fuckin tough. I can see why they say he's the strongest on the seas! Luffy also used the super shout thing again! Whatever it is!

Everyone is supporting Luffy! He's the last hope!! AND NOW GARP IS IN THE GODDAMM WAY

Whoa, Luffy punched the gently caress out of Garp? Did Garp pull his punch?? LUFFY MADE IT! AND SENGOKU IS GOOOOOLD! THEY DID IT! ACE IS FREEEEEE!!!!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Hey when this and the following arc are done, would you be able to write a bit of a bit of a retrospective of what you thought so far?

Highlights/lowlights, favourite moments etc. Would be really interesting to see a new readers perspective on the series as it was at this point.

Also what a place to stop at before your next batch goddamn

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
"Squardo powering up Whitebeard by stabbing him" was such a silly time :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Asuron posted:

Hey when this and the following arc are done, would you be able to write a bit of a bit of a retrospective of what you thought so far?

Highlights/lowlights, favourite moments etc. Would be really interesting to see a new readers perspective on the series as it was at this point.

Also what a place to stop at before your next batch goddamn

Sure thing! I love spewing too many words about my anime opinions. Speaking of which, I didn't actually stop reading, I just thought that'd be a good stopping spot. I CAN SEE I WAS WRONG.

Chapter 572: "The Times They Are A-Changin"

They're making it out! But oh no, Whitebeard is going to stay behind?

Oh god dammit, Akainu mocking Whitebeard, Ace is gunna do something stupid isn't he? Akainu just keeps taunting him. Can fire beat fire? Who's the firiest? Huh, I guess magma beats fire. OH poo poo, MAGMA REALLY BEATS FIRE.

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS CHAPTER TITLE, THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT. Luffy got a loving hole punched through him before and he was fine! Well okay it was just a hook, BUT STILL. ACE YOU MOTHERFUCKER WHY DIDN'T YOU FOLLOW YOUR PAPPY'S ORDERS? gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, a bunch if people were in disbelief about what had happened, and tried convincing themselves it was a fake out, followed by the next chapter title being The Death of Portgaz D. Ace