Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It worked the next time I tried it. Didn't do anything different. Shrug.

I'm still getting used to this thing. But I like it so far. Going Android > ios is pretty terrible, but the apple watch is balancing things out nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Waltzing Along posted:

Going Android > ios is pretty terrible, but the apple watch is balancing things out nicely.

That's how I feel exactly, 3 months or so into using IOS. I'd have switched back a dozen times already if I didn't have to lose the watch. It's great.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

That’s the one thing I haven’t tried. I think I’ll give that a shot before going to the fruit stand.

I don’t lose any data/settings with that process, right?

Ugh, the Apple website won’t let me make a Genius Bar appointment for battery trouble, it just wants me to send the watch to a repair center.

I’m worried they’d charge me if I did that. Should I just show up at the Apple store and try to talk to someone?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

frogbs posted:

Ugh, the Apple website won’t let me make a Genius Bar appointment for battery trouble, it just wants me to send the watch to a repair center.

I’m worried they’d charge me if I did that. Should I just show up at the Apple store and try to talk to someone?

If you show up without an appointment then what they will have you do is walk over to one of their MacBooks on display and show you how to book an appointment.

Maybe they just can’t repair a watch in store and that’s why you need to send it in? I’m pretty sure that by law Apple wouldn’t be able to just charge you for repairing/replacing the thing without authorization so they’d have to contact you and say “we need to replace this for that much money.” I’m not a lawyer though but this is how i would hope it works.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I had weird watch issues and was told they can’t do those repairs in house, needed sent to a repair center. I would assume the same for you.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

frogbs posted:

Like Anya said, it’s going to be mailed off to a repair depot regardless so save yourself the trips? If they find water or other damage that’s not covered by the warranty you’re not gonna get charged until they send you the little happy-gram asking if you wanna pay or have them send it back to you as is.

If all else fails why not just call AppleCare and have them run a diagnostic on it first?

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a watch strap that goes over your coat sleeve? For normal watches you get them for skiing etc, and they’re very handy in cold weather. Saying that I guess I should check the Apple watches operating temps...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If they exist for regular watches, just get a set of adapters and a regular strap you like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The ActionSleeve would probably work, though it's not really designed for that.

I'm sure with a bit of google searching you could find some crappy chinese knockoff that does what you want.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

If they exist for regular watches, just get a set of adapters and a regular strap you like.

I didn’t actually know this was a thing so thanks, I will look into it. I don’t really like the action sleeve as it looks ugly.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Is this still a thing?

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/abmg65/aw4_ecg_working_outside_of_the_us/

Buying an AW4 in the US allow you to use ECG anywhere in the world?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you show up without an appointment then what they will have you do is walk over to one of their MacBooks on display and show you how to book an appointment.

Gosh dang I hate the Apple store now. On one of my trips to have something serviced I was told to stand at the corner of a table after checking in. Then I had another employee raise his voice at me because I was standing at the wrong corner of the table. How the hell was I supposed to know? Everyone is standing around like idiots waiting for service.

At least now it seems like they funnel service appointments into the center mass of terrible bean bag things and wood boxes and sales to the outer tables.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Can’t stand the weird service on the watches, it feels like it’s not an apple product. Never had a good Genius Bar experience with any watch or store.. now only going to the AASP instead; they don’t have the same sort of weird disconnect and treat it as any other apple product.

So bizarre when a third party does better than apple themselves but seems to be the New Normal in Australia at least...

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

stirlo posted:

Can’t stand the weird service on the watches, it feels like it’s not an apple product. Never had a good Genius Bar experience with any watch or store.. now only going to the AASP instead; they don’t have the same sort of weird disconnect and treat it as any other apple product.

So bizarre when a third party does better than apple themselves but seems to be the New Normal in Australia at least...

Apple pushed out an update last year that bricked watches, and pulled in 6hrs later, unfortunately, my watch updated itself in that window and died.

Apple store told me it'd be 10-14 days to get a replacement watch. I was on a plane 48hrs later for a 3 week overseas trip, so I had to plead with the Service manager, they eventually agreed to replace it in store. 100% depot repairs is crazy for the watch. Especially considering how tiny the footprint is for the service parts for the watch. You can get 8 Apple watches for every 1 phone they keep in store.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was under the impression basically every hardware issue with the watch was a replacement anyways, so it's silly the store can't handle all claims on the spot.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

xzzy posted:

I was under the impression basically every hardware issue with the watch was a replacement anyways, so it's silly the store can't handle all claims on the spot.

it is, and it is.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Guess I'm misunderstanding the conversation then!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

xzzy posted:

Guess I'm misunderstanding the conversation then!

All issues with an Apple Watch necessitate a replacement.

Apple retail stores don't keep any replacement stock.

This is because an Apple Watch is deemed 'non-essential' and is on the same level as beats headphones for replacement stock.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
This was kind of acceptable during the launch of the very first model and the expensive gold ones.. not now though, and if someone has a smashed screen or whatever it is not possible to repair. Apple/care have added or kept an unneeded step or delay to the process which infuriates most people..

I could find the emails my father in law sent to all the apple people he could find; as he’s not used to this sort of service (especially from apple) and is *quite the entitled generation * if you understand my hints, he apparently had quite a tantrum at the Genius Bar when they would not swap his smashed watch quite recently.

They need to make it more of an apple product now or something as it is causing people to not buy it, or abuse the 14 day return window instead of using Normal apple care. Another person here got about 8 s4 watches returned until they got one with a good screen. That’s bad!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
When my S2 didn't have a charger in the box they wanted me to return the whole thing rather than give me a charger off the shelf. I just emailed Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com), got a call from some concierge, and had a charger overnighted. If you have an issue with some arbitrary Apple Store rule this is the best course of action.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

When my S2 didn't have a charger in the box they wanted me to return the whole thing rather than give me a charger off the shelf. I just emailed Tim Cook (tcook@apple.com), got a call from some concierge, and had a charger overnighted. If you have an issue with some arbitrary Apple Store rule this is the best course of action.

Seems a bit extreme

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

BoyBlunder posted:

Seems a bit extreme

Nah, gently caress em. If that’s what it takes to get a sensible outcome, that’s what you should do.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I emailed Tim to make AirPods with silicone tips, so I hope he listened to me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I e-mail Tim daily for an update on the dang AirPod wireless charging case.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

I have a co-worker who is getting an apple watch series 4 soon and was wondering what the recommended milanese loop knockoff is these days.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

god this blows posted:

I have a co-worker who is getting an apple watch series 4 soon and was wondering what the recommended milanese loop knockoff is these days.

I have this one it's fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The sellers don’t usually last more than a month or two, so recommendations age quickly.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
while the sellers are sorta ephemeral, it seems like whoever is supplying them stays the same because all the loop replacements I've had have been largely identical.

Thinking of going from a S2 42mm to a S4 40mm. I have small wrists so it seems like going smaller while still getting a bigger screen seems logical. My only hangup is battery life. Because i'm getting the smaller of the two S4s, does that mean i'm going to get worse battery life than my S2? My current experience with the S2 battery is fine. It tolerates me forgetting to charge it overnight and maybe takes 2 days before giving up the ghost. I'd rather keep that as a baseline when upgrading.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can go straight to Aliexpress and get the same bands all the no-name amazon retailers are selling, but for a fraction of the price.

The catch is having to wait a month, but it’s kind of like being your own future secret Santa.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Thinking of going from a S2 42mm to a S4 40mm. I have small wrists so it seems like going smaller while still getting a bigger screen seems logical. My only hangup is battery life. Because i'm getting the smaller of the two S4s, does that mean i'm going to get worse battery life than my S2? My current experience with the S2 battery is fine. It tolerates me forgetting to charge it overnight and maybe takes 2 days before giving up the ghost. I'd rather keep that as a baseline when upgrading.

My 40mm S4 can go two days without charging.

edit: Probably more than that, I don't remember what the battery usually is after the 2nd day but I think it isn't running on fumes.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 14, 2019

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

withak posted:

My 40mm S4 can go two days without charging.

My mother's 40mm S4 (no LTE) can go about 3.5 days, sometimes 4 days, between charges. She doesn't use any of the workout stuff though, it was bought for her mainly for the fall detection feature.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My 40mm S4 definitely gets less battery life than my 42mm S3 did, but it's not bad enough to worry about. The 40mm can log about 3.5 hours of activities/exercises before it dies, the 42mm was probably 4.5 hours.. that's just an estimate though because I never actually killed it in a day.

If I just use it to check the time and texts though it loses about 25% every 12 hours.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
My 40mm S4 loses 15% of battery overnight. What am I doing wrong? I have to charge this sucker everyday

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
That sounds about in line with my S2 overnight when its on my wrist. General usage, no sleep tracking apps or anything.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

BoyBlunder posted:

My 40mm S4 loses 15% of battery overnight. What am I doing wrong? I have to charge this sucker everyday

I’ve got a 42mm Series 1, and the trick I use is to put it into Theatre Mode before bed. It only uses about 2% of the battery overnight and the screen won’t wake you up if you’re light-sensitive and move in your sleep.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Deadguy2322 posted:

I’ve got a 42mm Series 1, and the trick I use is to put it into Theatre Mode before bed. It only uses about 2% of the battery overnight and the screen won’t wake you up if you’re light-sensitive and move in your sleep.

This is a good idea - thanks. How does it work for alarms? Does the watch still light up when your alarm goes off?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Half the point of theater mode is keeping the screen dark. It’ll vibrate on alarm, though.

E: and for what it’s worth, my S1 uses about 15% on an eight hour “overnight” if I wear it while sleeping.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

BoyBlunder posted:

This is a good idea - thanks. How does it work for alarms? Does the watch still light up when your alarm goes off?

It vibrates, but I use my phone for the actual alarm. Tapping the screen wakes it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

On the my old S1 sometimes the battery got worse over time, and restarting the watch fixed it. I dunno if it was a memory leak that increased battery or what, but it doesn’t seem to happen with my S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Pants Donkey posted:

On the my old S1 sometimes the battery got worse over time, and restarting the watch fixed it. I dunno if it was a memory leak that increased battery or what, but it doesn’t seem to happen with my S4.

Probably a leaky app. I had that happen with a calculator app I tried out. Nuked it and the problem disappeared.