Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

Lucky is really boring and unfun, don't take it.

lucky rules actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey so I'm finally joining a new game as a player and making a character I've always wanted to play.

Anyone got a picture of a fat elf? Google just gets me weird fetishy stuff

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Super Waffle posted:

Hey so I'm finally joining a new game as a player and making a character I've always wanted to play.

Anyone got a picture of a fat elf?

Hell yes, I do.

Super Waffle posted:

Google just gets me weird fetishy stuff

Oh, never mind. :smith:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't have the book on me but I think you're basically talking about flavor text. Simic Hybrid has its own stat block and doesn't borrow extra abilities from other races.

That makes sense, thank you. I'm not used to this edition yet.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

DoctorWhat posted:

Lucky is really boring and unfun, don't take it.

F that. Lucky is such a fun feat for those epic clutch moments.

Barely alive and on your last legs you can make an attack disadvantage and prone... and completely turn the tables by turning it into triple advantage.

Or the opposite, an enemy attacking with advantage and you turn it into a critical miss because they rolled a 1 in their pair.

It's a great fun feat. Granted if a player is using it 3x every session it's ludicrous but when I took it saving it for those clutch moments was just the best.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Piell posted:

I'm looking for feat advice for my level 4 half orc zealot barbarian. We rolled stats so I have Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 13, Wis 14, and Cha 14. I was going to take Great Weapon Master originally, but the DM gave me a magic item that let's me take damage equal to my rage damage bonus to make a bonus action attack. I've got 50 HP so I use it every turn, so GWM is partially redundant and I already deal a lot of damage. I'm thinking +2 Str, +2 Con, Lucky, or Charger. Opinions? We rarely have more than a couple of fights per long rest, so I'd be able to get good use out of Lucky.

Lucky is extremely good, to the point DMs tend to ban it or nerf it.
Charger is just garbage.

GWM's -5/+10 ability is good on a Barbarian due to Reckless Attack. Either take it now then STR+2, or take STR+2 now then GWM at level 8. What your magic item lets you do is sorta obviate Polearm Master, the system's actual top melee damage feat.

loquacius posted:

Hey, it looks like I'm the second guy on this page asking advice for what feat to take at level 4. I'm playing a Dwarf Battlemaster, Protection-style tank who uses heavy armor, 1H weapons and a shield, with a statline of 16/15/17/14/9/10.

I'm considering +2 STR, +1 CON and +1 WIS, Shield Master, Heavy Armor Master, Lucky, or saying "gently caress IT" as loud as I can and taking Tavern Brawler for roleplaying reasons.

Tavern Brawler would allow me to even out my CON score, which is cool, but I wouldn't really get much use out of the feat itself. Our campaign does have an unarmed-combat arena we can abuse to win money, but, there's a monk in our party anyway, so I don't have a HUGE reason to enter that myself. The only reason I'm considering it is that the character's backstory is that he got kicked out of the dwarven army for alcoholism.

In summary my question is: are any of the feats I'm considering good enough metagaming to be a better idea than just taking the ability-score improvements, and if so which one is the best choice? TIA

The best you can do is ask your DM to let you change Protection Fighting Style for Dueling, then take Polearm Master for use with a Spear or Quarterstaff. If you don't want to do that then grab more STR or Resilient(WIS).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

doctor 7 posted:

F that. Lucky is such a fun feat for those epic clutch moments.

Barely alive and on your last legs you can make an attack disadvantage and prone... and completely turn the tables by turning it into triple advantage.

Or the opposite, an enemy attacking with advantage and you turn it into a critical miss because they rolled a 1 in their pair.

It's a great fun feat. Granted if a player is using it 3x every session it's ludicrous but when I took it saving it for those clutch moments was just the best.

I guess playing almost exclusively with children has warped my perception of the game.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone got a picture of a fat elf? Google just gets me weird fetishy stuff

It would really help if you were more specific, like, fat male elf ranger, fat female elf wizard, etc jeez

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/a5/7c/63/a57c63395f84a573e69323fea84ca096.jpg

https://goo.gl/images/YKQ3hb

https://66.media.tumblr.com/18efc913b0517f694cfc6317fb5e4a98/tumblr_or7ga9vXMB1wraxgzo1_250.png

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ceros_X posted:

It would really help if you were more specific, like, fat male elf ranger, fat female elf wizard, etc jeez

Ok ok, fat male elf rogue. I'm talking 300lbs morbidly obese, greasy skin, total goon

quote:

Obsessed with the search for the ultimate culinary experience, Chef Elapeiros grew bored with satisfying the tawdry palettes and pedestrian tastes of his hometown, and joined the Adventurers Guild in search of exotic spices, new ingredients, and ancient recipes lost to the sands of time.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Super Waffle posted:

Ok ok, fat male elf rogue. I'm talking 300lbs morbidly obese, greasy skin, total goon

Couldnt find exactly what you want but maybe one of these will work or you could tweak the race/learn to photoshop some pointed ears/add "Do you know what happens when an elf gets to be 300lbs? Even his ears get round, people mistake him for human" to your background :D

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/36/75/03/367503a1cb63942a10fd9351ae9f4788.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/1d/45/071d456119418d89a72cac191a2d74c5.png

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/f4/b5/e4f4b54672d5447b7990524dbfee1cf7.png

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...fkQMygLegQIARAz

https://pin.it/rkejir2pnjeibl

https://pin.it/msuf7ingidav7b

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pinterest.com/amp/pin/360921357628092367/

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/81/51/cb/8151cbfdde550c2e3b55c6c6a7b1f1ed.jpg

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

DoctorWhat posted:

I guess playing almost exclusively with children has warped my perception of the game.

It's great when you essentially have a gentleman's agreement to only use it sparingly. Personally I think our DM likes it as everyone rolls openly so he's less terrified of lovely rolls killing us (well me at least).

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Farg posted:

lucky rules actually

Especially with a diviner

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

New group is too drat big and DM immediately caved on the heavy rp aim, so we're loaded up on "cast magic missile at the darkness" type goofballs. I'm gonna stick around because schedule attrition might take a couple and I wanna get to know some of the others, but I'm bummed how hard it is to find a group who can keep the giggles to appropriate moments. Was looking forward to leaning into the edge and grimdark.

That loving sucks when it happens.

But grimdark is usually a fine line between hard-to-keep-a-straight-face and :stare:, and it's better when it fails on the Magic Missle At Dark Hell-Lord Lord Helldark Frostbite The Impaler side than on the cannibal-corpse-track-title-as-scenario-description while breathing too heavily[/i] side.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm going to start playing an Adventure League Eberron game and I cant decide on a character. I'm thinking of either a whispers bard or mastermind rogue. Anyone have experience with either?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

kidkissinger posted:

Especially with a diviner

Halfling diviner with the lucky feat.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Super Waffle posted:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I'm going to start playing an Adventure League Eberron game and I cant decide on a character. I'm thinking of either a whispers bard or mastermind rogue. Anyone have experience with either?

What race? Race is much more important in Eberron than standard.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

That loving sucks when it happens.

But grimdark is usually a fine line between hard-to-keep-a-straight-face and :stare:, and it's better when it fails on the Magic Missle At Dark Hell-Lord Lord Helldark Frostbite The Impaler side than on the cannibal-corpse-track-title-as-scenario-description while breathing too heavily[/i] side.

I wouldn't mind as much if it was at least silly by way of grimdark but we're talking bog standard silly like "I blow up stuff in the tavern and run away" kind of stuff. And honestly that's a completely fine way to play, but the game was posted as one with a heavy RP emphasis and I'm gonna be bummed if we don't get that because the DM doesn't wanna put their foot down.

But hopefully a little schedule attrition and a little effort on some of our parts can steer this thing back on course. I'm certainly gonna give it a chance.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh poo poo I misread you, I thought you wanted RP-heavy grimdark and got combat-heavy "grimdark" which would suck a whole lot less.

I hope the people who are somehow not on-vibe at all are the ones that drop out!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Toshimo posted:

What race? Race is much more important in Eberron than standard.

I was thinking Changling for the bard and dragon marked (house of tharashk) for the rogue.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

I was thinking Changling for the bard and dragon marked (house of tharashk) for the rogue.

Both of those subclasses are going to be very high table variance and DM discretion in AL, but of those, I'd go with the Changeling Bard.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
While we're doing :AUGH CHARACTER BUILD TIME:, I found out today that I can't take Disguise Kit as an Expertise option on my Bowbear Assassin and I am HECKIN' MAD.

Any thoughts on my last expertise slot? I'm leaning Acro for grapple prevention.

Sheet: https://ddb.ac/characters/3408615/jxp7QO

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm homebrewing a race - what do you guys think? Is this OK, underpowered, or overpowered?

quote:

Soulbound
The soulbound are poor human souls, left to wander the world after a series of failed magical experiments in immortality conducted during the height of a long-forgotten empire, many thousands of years ago. Similar to liches, they are mortal beings whose souls have been bound to a phylactery - a material object. Unlike liches, however, the soulbound are not necessarily evil, nor was the ritual that had to be performed to bind their souls. Their souls may have been bound using divine magic, arcane technology, or a pact with some unknown being of immense power.

Soulbound Traits
Your soulbound character has the following racial traits.
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Age. Immortal. Your character does not age, but appears to be the age they were at the moment of soulbonding. You may roll 10d100 for your character’s age, and 1d100 + 8 for their “original” age.
Alignment. Any, though soulbound tend towards neutral.
Size. Medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 20 feet. You cannot swim in water, but you may walk along the bottom at a rate of 10 feet.
Undeath. You count as undead for the purpose of spells or abilities that affect undead. However, you are affected by healing, curses, radiant, and necrotic damage in the same way as a human. As an undead being you do not need to eat, breathe, drink, or sleep. However you still require rest to reduce levels of exhaustion and still benefit from short and long rests. You are also immune to disease and poison.

Trance. Soulbound do not need to sleep. Instead, you enter a trance as you draw energy from whatever magical source powers you. While in your passive state, you remain awake and alert to danger, but remain still and unmoving. This state lasts for 8 hours. After Resting in this way, you gain the same benefit that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

Phylactery. You roll for a trinket in the trinkets table described in the PHB. This object is your phylactery - the object to which your soul is bound. The phylactery has hit points equal to 1d4 + your Constitution modifier. You must remain within 200 feet of your phylactery at all times. If you become separated from your phylactery, your soul rushes back to it instantly, while your physical body collapses, unmoving.

As long as you possess your phylactery, you will never die. If you are reduced to 0 hit points, rather than taking death saving throws, you enter a hibernative state until you are able to take a long rest. At the end of the long rest, you regenerate your body with full hit points.

If your body is destroyed by massive damage or otherwise disintegrated, your soul flees to the phylactery. You are unable to perform any action in this state. For each following day, you may roll one hit die and regenerate your physical form by that many HP. Reconstructing your physical body takes all your energy, and it cannot move while it is being regenerated. You regain the ability to take actions and move once your total hit points have been fully restored.

If your phylactery is destroyed or is reduced to 0 hit points, you die. You can be resurrected like any other player character through the use of the typical spells.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 25, 2019

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
It's the last part that stands out to me. They're resurrecting your phylactery, and thus your reconstituted soul? Seems like, with the other essential immortality, you should probably not allow someone to resurrect your "red piece of ribbon" or whatever and just let the fucker fully die unless he properly protected his artifact. Would put some real tension on aoe effects, but I'm not an expert on all available mechanics that could ruin your time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ILL Machina posted:

It's the last part that stands out to me. They're resurrecting your phylactery, and thus your reconstituted soul? Seems like, with the other essential immortality, you should probably not allow someone to resurrect your "red piece of ribbon" or whatever and just let the fucker fully die unless he properly protected his artifact. Would put some real tension on aoe effects, but I'm not an expert on all available mechanics that could ruin your time.

Good point. I kind of tacked on the last part because I'm like, if there's that many negatives with having a phylactery why would anyone want to play as this? But I dunno, maybe you get enough from getting to be a literal non-evil lich that it's OK?

EDIT: Like, if someone was stupid enough to play as a goddamn lich and not protect their phylactery, they probably should just die.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 26, 2019

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

That race seems really weak for what's essentially a background perk of "can't die accidentally, must be intentional" with a few caveats. It doesn't give any combat or ability score advantages for offensive stats, making it instantly worse than every other race, and it has a movement penalty and undead vulnerability (without most of the advantages). And the thing that makes liches hard to kill is that they hide their phylacteries, instead of carrying them along for the ride.

The whole undying undead thing is super cool, but give them some advantages for it. +1 or +2 to Strength or Wisdom, some resistances and immunities (I'd probably do necrotic resistance and immunity to sleep and charm), make walking speed 30 feet.

I'd probably give them proficiency in a single skill to reflect their long life, and I'd take away the distance limitation on the phylactery, or somehow make it more effective at surviving whatever killed them in the first place. That seems more competitive with the other races out there.

re: Resurrection, I'd have a dead Soulbound create a new phylactery from a small object nearby automatically when they come back to life via magic, if the original was destroyed.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

That race seems really weak for what's essentially a background perk of "can't die accidentally, must be intentional" with a few caveats. It doesn't give any combat or ability score advantages for offensive stats, making it instantly worse than every other race, and it has a movement penalty and undead vulnerability (without most of the advantages). And the thing that makes liches hard to kill is that they hide their phylacteries, instead of carrying them along for the ride.

The whole undying undead thing is super cool, but give them some advantages for it. +1 or +2 to Strength or Wisdom, some resistances and immunities (I'd probably do necrotic resistance and immunity to sleep and charm), make walking speed 30 feet.

I'd probably give them proficiency in a single skill to reflect their long life, and I'd take away the distance limitation on the phylactery, or somehow make it more effective at surviving whatever killed them in the first place. That seems more competitive with the other races out there.

re: Resurrection, I'd have a dead Soulbound create a new phylactery from a small object nearby automatically when they come back to life via magic, if the original was destroyed.

The distance limitation is so that the player isn't just like, so what if I bury my phylactery in a deep hole somewhere and now I'm safe forever? The proficiency is a nice perk. I like that suggestion, that's a good suggestion! I personally thought about maybe a wisdom bonus reflecting a long life of experience. How about giving the phylactery itself as many saving throws as you get? So effectively you get double the saving throws, but split it among your controlled body and your phylactery?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Infinite Karma posted:

And the thing that makes liches hard to kill is that they hide their phylacteries, instead of carrying them along for the ride.

Well, that and the fact that they are high-level gently caress off mages who can stop time, summon meteor showers and suck the life from a body.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DrSunshine posted:

The distance limitation is so that the player isn't just like, so what if I bury my phylactery in a deep hole somewhere and now I'm safe forever? The proficiency is a nice perk. I like that suggestion, that's a good suggestion! I personally thought about maybe a wisdom bonus reflecting a long life of experience. How about giving the phylactery itself as many saving throws as you get? So effectively you get double the saving throws, but split it among your controlled body and your phylactery?

I mean that is, in fact, the purpose of a phylactery.

I would probably remove the distance limitation, but if you wanted to keep it interesting, make it so that the phylactery has to be the target of any beneficial spells or effects, rather than the body they are animating.

That way they have a reason to keep it nearby.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If a dead player resurrects at their phylactery, then there's a definite incentive not to just bury it in a hole in the ground and never go back, at least until the party has access to teleportation magic. "As your spirit coalesces around your body, you awake on the soft grasses of your homeland, above where you buried your phylactery all those centuries ago. You are struck with two realisations: you are thousands of miles from the site of your death, and your former companions. It will likely take you months of overland travel to rejoin the group. Second, you are all alone in this hostile wilderness you have not visited in an age." Up until teleportation magic, that's functionally the same as the PC being dead for at least the duration of the current adventure.

Players might instead hide their phylacteries close to the site of the adventure, but that sounds like a positive to me, as a DM? Once the players have a reputation, villains will know the PC is soulbound, and hunt for the phylactery, a "dead" PC who expects to wake up a day's travel from the group might instead wake up in the villain's lair if the villain or their minions have successfully tracked the PCs or scried on them, and then gone to get the PC's phylactery.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Make your phylactery a pebble and throw it in the open ocean, or better yet, bury it under the ocean floor.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Reveilled posted:

If a dead player resurrects at their phylactery, then there's a definite incentive not to just bury it in a hole in the ground and never go back, at least until the party has access to teleportation magic. "As your spirit coalesces around your body, you awake on the soft grasses of your homeland, above where you buried your phylactery all those centuries ago. You are struck with two realisations: you are thousands of miles from the site of your death, and your former companions. It will likely take you months of overland travel to rejoin the group. Second, you are all alone in this hostile wilderness you have not visited in an age." Up until teleportation magic, that's functionally the same as the PC being dead for at least the duration of the current adventure.

Players might instead hide their phylacteries close to the site of the adventure, but that sounds like a positive to me, as a DM? Once the players have a reputation, villains will know the PC is soulbound, and hunt for the phylactery, a "dead" PC who expects to wake up a day's travel from the group might instead wake up in the villain's lair if the villain or their minions have successfully tracked the PCs or scried on them, and then gone to get the PC's phylactery.

Oh that's actually a great thought, I had not considered that! It could be an excellent adventure complication. Cool! Thanks!

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Needing to touch the phylactery for beneficial spells is interesting, but it probably should have some kind of range limit. Just hide the spellcaster in a barn while this guy runs around

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Make your phylactery a pebble and throw it in the open ocean, or better yet, bury it under the ocean floor.

Make it into a powerful magic item that nobody would want to destroy. Or attach it to one.

But yeah, for an adventurer, hiding your phylactery in the middle of nowhere is also a risk. You might miss the rest of the campaign trying to find the rest of the party. So practically, you need to keep it relatively nearby. Just not a hard limit mechanically.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Phylacteries have always been massive bait for the sort of "Well if I were the evil villain, I'd just blah blah blah" sort attitude. They absolutely benefit from rules demanding either the lich stay at least a little close by, or that the item in question has to be powerful and important enough that you can't really just dump it in a hole somewhere, if only to cut out that poo poo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I wanna see phylacteries not be controllable.

They're just a random object that was within, say, 100 feet of the original spellwork that made the lich. And they have a soul in them, so they MAY be sapient and mobile of their own accord.

They may or may not actually like the lich.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Had my first session DMing for the D&Dads yesterday! First time DMing in about thirteen years, but I forgot how much I actually liked sitting behind the screen. We had a great time with mercifully no PvP (yet). I wasn't sure how they'd get on keeping notes on the bazillion different quests they get in Phandalin, so I made them up little index cards with quest details on them as a sort of quest log to help them decide what to pursue, which I think helped a lot. As a group, I've discovered that it doesn't really cross their mind to do interrogations, they captured a goblin and a redbrand in the course of their fights but aside from asking each of them what was in the next room, they've not tried to glean any further info about wider events (even if the people being questioned wouldn't know).

I've got a framing device of the adventure being a story Gundren is telling other people (think the intros to the Borderlands games), so I might drop a few hints in the second session recap that the links between all the various bandit groups is a thread worth pulling on.

Questions for the thread: I think I might have to rework one guy's cleric for him. At the group's request I provided them pre-gen characters for the adventure (they gave me race & class), and two of the players wanted to be clerics, so I made one as a War cleric and the other as a Light cleric. But the light cleric player didn't have much interest in actually using Sacred Flame and just wanted to hit stuff with his mace all the time, so I feel like he's going to be happier if we swap his domain for something a bit more smashy (of course, I'll talk with him first). There's quite a few different melee focused domains, I'm thinking of switching him to Forge, but what's your favourite? One alternative I'm considering if he wants to stay a light cleric is making Sacred Flame into a spell attack like Fire Bolt, essentially, because honestly it's not much fun when your main attack has the DM rolling instead of you. I can't think of anything this would gently caress up, right?

Also, any suggestions for where to reintroduce Glasstaff if the PCs let him get away? We finished the session right at the door to his workshop, and I'm planning to prep for a chase in the event they act quickly enough (they found his go bag, so he can't turn invisible), but provided he does get away, I'm thinking he and the last of the redbrands might ambush the group as they return to Phandalin after one of the wilderness excursions.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Forge is probably the best for just smashing things in melee through LMoP (levels 1-5). Tempest is better at being both melee and exploding things, though.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

ProfessorCirno posted:

Phylacteries have always been massive bait for the sort of "Well if I were the evil villain, I'd just blah blah blah" sort attitude. They absolutely benefit from rules demanding either the lich stay at least a little close by, or that the item in question has to be powerful and important enough that you can't really just dump it in a hole somewhere, if only to cut out that poo poo.

It might be neat to make something of the idea that it's your *soul* that's being put in that thing. Maybe if you put your soul in a tiny piece of stone, you constantly have the feeling of walls very close to you. If you bury it under the ocean, all you can feel, forever, is cold and dark, and at least a little bit alone, o matter how many people are around you. Whereas if you put it in a jeweled amulet, something made with care and to please the eye, you feel glorious and beautiful. Forever. If it's something that is carried and seen regularly, you feel as though you're still part of the living world.

Some liches wouldn't care about that. Some would. Some might even *think* they didn't care, and then change their minds, which could be a fun quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i mean if you just put your soul into a jar and bury it then there's not much to stop the gm from going "oh mr badguy found your soul and is now holding it in his arms" like it's not great gming but that's a huge temptation for any gm to resist