Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Aranan posted:

I realize I'm going to probably sound like a weird non-gamer person when I ask this, but what is the point of trophies/achievements/platinum on a game? They've never been anything I've chased unless there was some kind of reward tied to them, but they obviously have tremendous appeal to be in almost every game on every platform out there.

I'm a checklist gamer, so trophies/achievements are just another checklist that I enjoy completing when playing a game. Another reason is I enjoy looking back at past trophies (and their timestamps) and remembering getting them and where I was in life when I got them. Also Sony Rewards used to give PSN credit for trophies, although I think they changed up their site recently and in turn possibly removed (or at least reworked) that rewards system. It is by no means a dick waving contest for me since I never tell people to look at my trophy list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Some people are content to just know their dick is big without showing it off.

I’d probably go for more trophies if a lot of them weren’t unreasonable grindy bullshit or tied to multiplayer a lot of time.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Over There posted:

I know I'm literally dealing with the same temptation right now.

:cry: it looks like so much fun and I’ve been burned on so many lesser horror games. Too tempting!

Aranan posted:

I realize I'm going to probably sound like a weird non-gamer person when I ask this, but what is the point of trophies/achievements/platinum on a game? They've never been anything I've chased unless there was some kind of reward tied to them, but they obviously have tremendous appeal to be in almost every game on every platform out there.

They’re just fun little challenges you can check out if you want or you can ignore them completely. I love them for the satisfying brain tingles I get when they pop and the sound happens but I never obsess over them. Generally, getting the plat/all of them means you’ve exhausted just about every ounce of gameplay from a game and that’s fun for completionist types. It’s also nice now on the PS4 because you can look through them and see the auto screenshots it takes when you get them. It’s a fun little automatic game journal to reminisce with.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kibayasu posted:

Some people are content to just know their dick is big without showing it off.

So the secret to getting a big dick isn't those spam email pills. It's Playstation platinum trophies.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I honestly can't stand trophies but I'm glad that certain people enjoy it, because isn't that what its all about? People enjoying games.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Aranan posted:

The point is to get compulsive gamers to buy more games.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

I’m loving triggered. I sunk way to much money into a game I can never play again.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Rad Valtar posted:

I’m loving triggered. I sunk way to much money into a game I can never play again.

I remember spending like $20 before they announced that they were shutting the game down and it turned out I bought in like a day or two after the cut off point.

At least they made all the microtransaction stuff free and let everyone play around with that stuff as much as they wanted for the duration, but man that sucked.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was that the diablo-lite game? I used to play it on the iPad and it was super fun. It’s a shame it died.

Over There posted:

I honestly can't stand trophies but I'm glad that certain people enjoy it, because isn't that what its all about? People enjoying games.

I’ve been trying really hard to take that position in general for the last year. Games are fun, hating on things with harsh blanket statements isn’t. Saying “this doesn’t do it for me at all but I’m glad others like it” is always the right choice!

I like to call the gust of niceness and decency that has been swirling around this thread The VG Effect.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

All I wanted from Marvel Heroes was Beta Ray Bill. Right when it got axed I remember they were working on improving old costumes and BRB was one of them. :(

It sucks being a fan of a lesser known marvel character. Or Fantastic Four since they were "forbidden" around that time.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Reminder: RE2 owns bones.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I dont care about trophies but I appreciate how they are in a sense a game within a game.

Like some developers clearly put a lot of effort into them and even hide easter eggs in them.

But I only care about achievements that are counted towards your ingame progress or give you rewards.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Anyone seen a video they want to recommend of how to get good at AC7 dogfights, MP especially? I can score a few hits or kill more often than not in MP but I'm usually on the bottom half of the table and I like this game enough to make more of an effort than my once-per-generation try at getting OK at an FPS that inevitably fails.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Anyone seen a video they want to recommend of how to get good at AC7 dogfights, MP especially? I can score a few hits or kill more often than not in MP but I'm usually on the bottom half of the table and I like this game enough to make more of an effort than my once-per-generation try at getting OK at an FPS that inevitably fails.

Use SASM’s as your special weapon with the part that increases how many special weapons you carry. People usually try to dodge missiles since flares are so limited, but those have proximity fuses so basically all good shots will hit. You won’t get a lot of kills but I’ve won so many games off the points from hits with those.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Favorite part about Resident Evil is how gnarly the body deformation is. I know it's kind of hosed up but I find it really cool when games go all out on that stuff. The effect that the shotgun can have on a zombie's face is brutal.

Also I swear to god some of those dudes have the thickest skulls ever.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The only time trophies interest me at all is when I can use them as an excuse to play a game I like a little more. Even then I usually get bored before I hit the halfway mark. The only game I've played where the plat felt compelling to get was Bloodborne. I also got the plat in Horizon but that's just because it was super easy.

other than that, as far as I'm concerned, trophies are jus another annoying pop up.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 26, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I bought PS4 last spring and I have zero plats despite playing shitload of games in 2018 :effort:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I absolutely shudder to think of the hours of Souls games I racked up when I was out of work for eight months, holy poo poo. Like easily in the high hundreds

I've unfortunately had work constantly since i was 16 so I've never had the time to sit and really absorb a game since the ps2 launched.

I would trade 6 months of living off pasta and having no heating to really enjoy videogames again.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PantsBandit posted:

Favorite part about Resident Evil is how gnarly the body deformation is. I know it's kind of hosed up but I find it really cool when games go all out on that stuff. The effect that the shotgun can have on a zombie's face is brutal.

Also I swear to god some of those dudes have the thickest skulls ever.

I’m really excited for that. It got me hyped when I first noticed it in early footage. The part in the demo with the disgusting hd gooey gore head was horrifying and awesome :aaaaa:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Every single one of these is a punchline

Keep in mind that I first got a PS4 in March

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's pretty impressive I don't think I racked that up in a full year

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve been trying really hard to take that position in general for the last year. Games are fun, hating on things with harsh blanket statements isn’t. Saying “this doesn’t do it for me at all but I’m glad others like it” is always the right choice!

I like to call the gust of niceness and decency that has been swirling around this thread The VG Effect.

Thank you :D

I always thought that perhaps Games got to a point where sometimes people were too worried about being honest about things they like for fear of dog piling or ridicule.

I then thought that seeing a moderator talk about what they like and not caring might spur others on to do similar.

That was always my hope.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:smuggo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:suicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To be fair I’m sure about 1000 hours of that MGSV runtime was letting the PS4 run overnight and farming resources while Snake was hiding in the back of a truck

Probably how I also got this:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Wait my number doesn’t make sense. I can’t possibly have been playing games 14.5 hours a day. Maybe it’s including YouTube and Netflix hours in there?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it must include suspended games or streaming or something.

Either way I feel less guilty about my supposed 1600 hours now though lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Use SASM’s as your special weapon with the part that increases how many special weapons you carry. People usually try to dodge missiles since flares are so limited, but those have proximity fuses so basically all good shots will hit. You won’t get a lot of kills but I’ve won so many games off the points from hits with those.

A good way to use them is also to fire follow up standard missiles, I often get the kill by letting someone get hit by the sasm and no being ready for the follow up.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I grabbed a copy of RE2 from Redbox and basically just got to the Point of No Return with Leon and holy gently caress what a wild ride. I just played through on normal and only died maybe 4-5 times in the 6-7 hours I played. There are extremely tense moments and every little victory or new item feels important. I’m really happy with the gameplay and feel like I’ll be able to beat the game tomorrow or the day after and $7.00 was plenty to spend.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://mobile.twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1088985535035654144

sick

VideoGames posted:

Thank you :D

I always thought that perhaps Games got to a point where sometimes people were too worried about being honest about things they like for fear of dog piling or ridicule.

I then thought that seeing a moderator talk about what they like and not caring might spur others on to do similar.

That was always my hope.

I used to be like that. I’m someone who finds a lot to love in most games so naturally I’ve been ridiculed quite a bit every now and then. Here and other places. Whether it’s for vanilla Skyrim being maybe my favorite game of all time or one of my various other silly weird game opinions. Nowadays though I can’t say I’m all that concerned with what people think, I just wish they would realize that gaming is incredibly subjective and it’s rarely of worth to ridicule others for their preferences.

This place is getting more chill every page and I hope I’m doing my part well enough.

This is a top tier trio BP. I can’t wait for my next MHW journey!

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 26, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Vi has come to

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samuringa posted:

Vi has come to

I thought the same loving thing

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Weird, I definitely platinum'd Spiderman. Maybe it wasn't as long as I thought? I'm just glad that RDR2 trash didn't show up. Most of my gaming was on PC, and in the month or 2 before football season starts I really get the itch. Hitman 2 and Monster Hunter World both have over 100 hours.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 26, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Do you suspend games a lot? That’s why mine thinks I played for over 3k.

Yeah I tend to leave games running and put the PS4 into rest mode.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Resident Evil 2 is utterly fantastic, and probably the best survival horror game on the platform.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Seedge posted:

Resident Evil 2 is utterly fantastic, and probably the best survival horror game on the platform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwamV1fbYQk

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Everyone i saw doing well in ac7 mp is either godlike or running an f22 with qaam which makes you godlike.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey thread, can you recommend a decent, easy to pick up 2 player puzzle/casual type game that my wife and I can both play at the same time? We used to play bust-a-move on the Dreamcast and Pixel-junks' Monsters! on the PS3.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

slidebite posted:

Hey thread, can you recommend a decent, easy to pick up 2 player puzzle/casual type game that my wife and I can both play at the same time? We used to play bust-a-move on the Dreamcast and Pixel-junks' Monsters! on the PS3.

Overcooked 2 is my absolute favourite coop game with gf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Where are you guys seeing these cool stats? I want to check mine. Also, the My Live video never worked for me.