Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

IronMcHardSteel posted:

I looked through your posts and didn't see any mention of it but do you look at the devices tab in the Oculus software when that happens? I have to restart my pc often because it says the sensors are tracking poorly.

Unplug the sensor and plug it back in. Heck, move ports. Wont hurt anything and you wont have to reboot most likely. This happened to me all the time on the lovely inateck or w/e brand card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So like, I'm not an expert, but what's the likelyhood of someone hacking/modding Ace Combat 7 on PC to work with the Oculus Rift for all the missions before the PSVR exclusivity clocks out in 2020? It's a cockpit game and it runs on the Unreal engine apparently, so I don't think it'd be that hard...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m sure someone on the vorpx forums is working on it right now

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Holy poo poo Beatsaber is good. I've never liked rhythm games so I wasn't expecting much but it's amazing. The main flaw is that there are so few tracks without mods and the quality of the fan made ones can be uneven. But it's probably in my top 3 favorite VR games even after just 1 day.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I think the consistent quality of the built-in tracks are a huge part of why Beat Saber caught on big when Soundboxing didn't. Getting into Beat Saber is so much easier that by the time you're looking for modded tracks, you're hooked and ready to tolerate some rough experiences.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My first defining VR Moment© was the Audioshield demo at a Microsoft store, but I can't remember what song it was or even what it sounded like. But I remember the first time I saw a YouTube video of Beat Saber before release and I knew right then it was a killer app. (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

So like, I'm not an expert, but what's the likelyhood of someone hacking/modding Ace Combat 7 on PC to work with the Oculus Rift for all the missions before the PSVR exclusivity clocks out in 2020? It's a cockpit game and it runs on the Unreal engine apparently, so I don't think it'd be that hard...

I'd dream big and hope they could push out full VR compatibility for the base game on Steam, given the VR engine code exists and it's not limited to a PS4's rendering capacity.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd dream big and hope they could push out full VR compatibility for the base game on Steam, given the VR engine code exists and it's not limited to a PS4's rendering capacity.

They may be limited by which cockpits are modelled for VR; I think the VR mode only supports some of the planes?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Ace combat vr would *make* me buy a hotas and cockpit type thing just for it.

I'm already considering buying a racing setup and upgrading my computer for project cars 2. loving humble monthly, giving me the exact game I've been avoiding for budgetary reasons.

Finally got around to using smooth walking in rec room paintball, first round made a small child call me a "pussy bitch dick" and attempt to flick me off a lot. A++ would recommend. It makes the game a little too easy against people using teleport movement.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
it's funny because the rec room forums are up in arms about the huge advantage teleport players have on smooth movement. I agree with you though for the most part - teleport has the advantage in very close quarters and that's it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a rec room beginner, good teleport players will wreck you and you wont know why and it will seem unfair, but as you improve, you realize teleport players have little to no advantage and all the reddit griping stops making sense

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
I haven't come across a player good enough with teleport that they could get the drop on me since I can see where they are going before they actually move there.

Smooth movement though, I can dodge without worrying about slamming my head into a wall, then jump on top of some tires in less than 3 seconds and Rambo my way through people.

I ended up standing in place for 4 hours and now my feet hurt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are really good teleport players out there who have the cooldown timing seared into their brains, and can make their next move so quick you really cant see it. They are few and far between however, and most teleport people hugely telegraph their next move.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm already considering buying a racing setup

What sort of hardware does this entail? I'm trying to research what it would take to set up one of these but just separating marketing from reality is difficult with no experience with the hardware. Is there a thread for driving/racing games?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Corbeau posted:

What sort of hardware does this entail? I'm trying to research what it would take to set up one of these but just separating marketing from reality is difficult with no experience with the hardware. Is there a thread for driving/racing games?

I asked in this thread about that last summer, and ended up picking up a Thrustmaster TMX Pro based on the suggestions. It's a great wheel and I'd recommend it no hesitation.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I've heard really nice things about the openwheeler gen 2 cockpit. it's like 300 bucks, and another 300 or so for an alright wheel and shifter like the Logitech g920.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a simracing thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524

You generally have a few options for cockpits ranging from simple and cheap to big and expensive:

Some recommended products

Wheel Stand Pro, a temporary fold-away solution.

Fanatec CSL Seat and Playseat Evolution, both simple seats with wheel/pedal mount and still (somewhat) moveable.

Obutto Ozono, a full triple screen solution including keyboard & mouse tray.

You can also make them out of PVC pipe, 8020 aluminum, wood, and many other things.

If you have the ability, time and tools, making your own is very rewarding and will give you exactly what you want, plus you can grow and expand it:

Mine started as a gaming chair with a driving force gt wheel and pedal set

Then evolved to a Saturn L200 seat with a Thrustmaster T300RS wheel and pedal set, a buttkicker, integrated power and sound and some handy wheels on the back and a grab handle on the front

I for whatever reason dont have a picture of its current iteration, but the seat has been swapped for a Ford Focus RS seat, I still have the T300RS wheel, but I replaced the pedals with a Fanatec CSL Elite loadcell, and the center post mounting of the wheel pedestal has been removed and in its place is a side mount setup that also now holds my HOTAS for Elite Dangerous and my button box for iracing.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Getting a Recaro seat for your Sim racing setup is just this side of Ballin out of control and I love it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m dumb. I have the focus ST seat, not the RS recaro.

$25 on Facebook marketplace.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m dumb. I have the focus ST seat, not the RS recaro.

$25 on Facebook marketplace.

Oh the focus ST had recaros as an option too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a simracing thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524

You generally have a few options for cockpits ranging from simple and cheap to big and expensive:

Some recommended products

Wheel Stand Pro, a temporary fold-away solution.

Fanatec CSL Seat and Playseat Evolution, both simple seats with wheel/pedal mount and still (somewhat) moveable.

Obutto Ozono, a full triple screen solution including keyboard & mouse tray.

You can also make them out of PVC pipe, 8020 aluminum, wood, and many other things.

If you have the ability, time and tools, making your own is very rewarding and will give you exactly what you want, plus you can grow and expand it:

Mine started as a gaming chair with a driving force gt wheel and pedal set

Then evolved to a Saturn L200 seat with a Thrustmaster T300RS wheel and pedal set, a buttkicker, integrated power and sound and some handy wheels on the back and a grab handle on the front

I for whatever reason dont have a picture of its current iteration, but the seat has been swapped for a Ford Focus RS seat, I still have the T300RS wheel, but I replaced the pedals with a Fanatec CSL Elite loadcell, and the center post mounting of the wheel pedestal has been removed and in its place is a side mount setup that also now holds my HOTAS for Elite Dangerous and my button box for iracing.

If you go with Obutto, get the R3volution, not the Ozone. It's the new version and has a better keyboard tray and poo poo.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I ordered my spouse a set of prescription Oculus lenses from VR Optician, and she loves them. She said it's far more comfortable than wearing her glasses in the Rift, and the lenses were perfectly clear. It was easily worth the 75 bucks, for anybody wondering about that site.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Ace combat vr would *make* me buy a hotas and cockpit type thing just for it.

Ace Combat, as a game, does not support HOTAS play, especially ever since 6 introduced the High-G turn. Plus, the VR campaign featured in 7 (which I think might be PSVR exclusive) is just three missions long.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Just got my rift today and was looking at picking up GORN. Are the physics in the itch.io prototype representative of the steam version? I'm finding myself having to swing extremely hard in order to do any kind of damage and I'm afraid I'm going to GORN the poo poo out of my monitor or cat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yergacheffe posted:

Just got my rift today and was looking at picking up GORN. Are the physics in the itch.io prototype representative of the steam version? I'm finding myself having to swing extremely hard in order to do any kind of damage and I'm afraid I'm going to GORN the poo poo out of my monitor or cat.

Yeah, I love GORN but you really do need a tall chair and strong guardian borders awareness to make sure you don't punch out your monitor. It's fun as gently caress and Blade & Sworcery is even more fun.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

yergacheffe posted:

GORN tip - place your cat in front of your monitor so you cushion the blow on the more important and more fragile object.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hellsau posted:

GORN tip - place your cat in front of your monitor so you cushion the blow on the more important and more fragile object.

:stonklol:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cats are tough oh my god no I'm loving joking you idiot

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Okay fine, better plan - put the Rift on your cat, make them play GORN while you stand in front of the monitor and guard it from the whirlwind of claws. You can even watch the mirror on your monitor!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I legit put foam floor tiles in front of my monitors whenever I play roomscale VR, better safe than sorry

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a rug on my safe area and I never have shoes on. I also have a very conservative guardian grid so I won’t hit anything.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I have joined your club. For my birthday I have caved in and bought a Lenovo Explorer and the controllers. Will test them with Elite as soon as they arrive. The price was reasonable, if you are on the fence about buying VR.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ace Combat, as a game, does not support HOTAS play, especially ever since 6 introduced the High-G turn. Plus, the VR campaign featured in 7 (which I think might be PSVR exclusive) is just three missions long.

It absolutely does support two types on the PS4, but I don’t know why you would play AC with a HOTAS, it’s not built for it at all, really. It’s all about arcade action, it’s not a sim.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It absolutely does support two types on the PS4, but I don’t know why you would play AC with a HOTAS, it’s not built for it at all, really. It’s all about arcade action, it’s not a sim.

It technically allows it, but yeah, you cannot pull off half of the poo poo that's possible on a controller.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I’m looking to play with I-have-too-much-money tech to celebrate (probably) getting a rare and significant bonus.

I’m a dev, so probably not just for games.

For a start, I’m looking at a Perception Neuron (...Pro?). Maybe a hi5 glove (how well do they work together, if anyone knows)?

Any suggestions? I prefer to stick with Rift over Vive.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My last experience with ace combat was blowing poo poo up in 4 and thinking how rad it would be if I had actual controls

That's about as good of a justification I need, I just want to fulfill childhood dreams even if it means I'm trash at the game.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Figured out what the issue is with this Odyssey+: the mura's there but the moire pattern is what really stands out. Maybe it's a side effect of the diffusion filter.

Overall though I'm much happier with the headset than I was initially now I've gotten used to coping with the sweet spot and spent a bit more time with it. Scenes with any kind of detail or action obscure the flaws and having no SDE is far more immersive that I thought it would be. I docked at a station in Elite and as I got close to the mailbox I realised that whole part of the station looked super loving real. There just aren't a lot of cues that what you're looking at isn't real when you take SDE away from those sorts of games. Alien Isolation was loving horrific, the station environment looked really real with normal familiar objects and whatnot lying around like any other hospital or airport but also a (much too well animated) nightmare trundling about

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I’m looking to play with I-have-too-much-money tech to celebrate (probably) getting a rare and significant bonus.

I’m a dev, so probably not just for games.

For a start, I’m looking at a Perception Neuron (...Pro?). Maybe a hi5 glove (how well do they work together, if anyone knows)?

Any suggestions? I prefer to stick with Rift over Vive.

If you're going to be developing games or software, go for the lowest common denominator (at least, with that kind of tech); A Vive, a trio of Trackers for your feet and hip, and wait for the Knuckle controllers. Don't go for the stuff that literally almost no-one will have in their setup.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Trip Report for The Wizards:

The Wizards is a VR first-person shooter with one of the best menu systems I’ve ever seen. Released in the first half of 2017, The Wizards nevertheless has an almost 100% VR friendly menu system. It’s baffling that more games haven’t copied it. First off, what few traditional menus it does have all use a laser pointer to select items. Something every VR game should do if they can’t find a way to duplicate The Wizards success at embedding the menus into the game world.

The Wizards key distinguishing feature is the very forgiving and intuitive way the player selects their weapon. The player makes gestures with their hand trackers, and that casts a spell that spawns a weapon that can be used fewer times than there are enemies in most fights. This ensures that players get to interact with the spell casting mechanic frequently and rewards manual dexterity as well as more traditional first-person shooter play styles.

Content: The single player campaign takes you through several stages each of which has multiple replayable levels with at least a few secrets hidden each and a score challenge mechanic. Unfortunately, the levels are largely linear, and fights lock the player in the area until you’ve killed everything arena style. The areas are all large enough to permit a range of approaches and a good amount of movement, but keeping the player penned in works against the immersion that every other element of the game builds. So far, I haven't encountered a level that takes more than 15 minutes to play through (and probably less, I haven't been tracking my time very closely).

For weapons, the player has their choice of six intuitive spells each with their own mechanics to play with. Arguably a seventh spell allows players to pull items to their hand so they can pick it up. Unfortunately, this is one of the few rough spots in the game as it has a hard time identifying what you are pointing at so it often takes several attempts to pick things up and there’s rarely a reason to do so outside the player’s home area.

Locomotion: Movement is primarily teleportation based and leans heavily into the conceit of casting spells with it being justified as an actual teleportation spell. The basic mechanics of teleportation are the same as most games. The implementation is very smooth which is good because large parts of the levels can only be reached by teleporting due to an abundance of sheer cliffs which means even though the game has a smooth locomotion option, you won’t be using it much. Like the rest of the user interface, turning with the touchpad is one of the smoothest implementations I’ve seen and is hands down the easiest to use.

The one rough area with locomotion is that the game does not handle edges well, it tended to freak out or crash when I was looking down edges towards inaccessible areas.

Menus: The vast majority of the game menus are fully 3D and embedded into the usual mechanics of the world. The player selects the (repeatable) level they desire by picking up figurine from the map that represents the stage they want to play and then selecting one of several rings that spawn to indicate the level in that stage. It’s very similar to a drop-down menu, but delightfully redesigned for both VR ergonomics and to immerse the player in the world. Almost all the other player and system menus work similarly.

Bottom Line: One of the best interfaces for VR I’ve ever seen is attached to an otherwise straightforward shooter. Well worth the purchase just to see gesture recognition implemented well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yergacheffe posted:

USE STRICT CHAPERONE, it'll fix the issue.