Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Who the gently caress is this Xion person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Do you think the epilogue will be Sora meeting Kairi's dad so he can tell, her father?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Do you think the epilogue will be Sora meeting Kairi's dad so he can tell, her father?

No, I don't think life is quite that simple.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Who the gently caress is this Xion person?

Sora.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Argue posted:

No, I don't think life is quite that simple.

Do you think one day he'll understand what she meant?

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Finished Dream Drop Distance.

I'm glad they added insane time travel to the Kingdom Hearts story, it was dangerously close to being understandable. Fragmentary Passage tomorrow/Monday and I'm ready to go for KH3!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Honestly, the idea of someone who looks like Xehanort does responding to "but you might destroy the world!" by actually saying "...sick." is enormously appealing for some reason.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?
Is this game supposed to pre load now? I just bought it and can't get it to start downloading

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Mode 7 posted:

Finished Dream Drop Distance.

I'm glad they added insane time travel to the Kingdom Hearts story, it was dangerously close to being understandable. Fragmentary Passage tomorrow/Monday and I'm ready to go for KH3!

I think Nomura has gone on record saying that if KH's story started to make sense he would introduce things specifically to make it more confusing. He's also gone on record about how he's a shut in and dislikes human contact, so combine the two and you have a dude who really loves anime BS.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

replaying BBS on PS4 has reaffirmed what I already knew: the only fun way to play BBS is to be Aqua, load yourself up with overpowered, flashy magic commands, and completely destroy everything.

I think one of Dream Drop Distance's fatal flaws is actually that its progression system is less easily broken. The game does a good job at keeping you from getting many overpowered abilities early on (besides Balloon, which is overpowered by accident and also boring) and that's a bad thing because actually having to engage with the combat system only reveals how many holes there are in it.
The Command Deck system is at its best when you're using a combination of Sleep, Magnet, and Wind magic to stunlock Vanitas so you can ignore his obnoxious moveset and just pelt him with your strongest, dumbest spells while he's hanging in the air like a doofus.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I feel pretty vindicated in not playing any of the dumb bad handheld games or their upscaled versions

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

zimbomonkey posted:

Is this game supposed to pre load now? I just bought it and can't get it to start downloading

I think the preload starts tomorrow? If you go back to it in the store it'll show a countdown to when the game goes live.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

preload usually starts on sunday iirc

it's a lot dumber than that. she's sora's memories of kairi implanted on an artificial nobody. so she's like triple fake? but it doesn't matter because the end of her character arc is that nobody remembers her and she doesn't exist

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Quick question on DDD? Should I make a dream eater for both Riku and Sora of the same one so they both get a permanent ability from one or getting one with either Riku or Sora unlocks it for both?

Nevermind you can use the one you created with one on the other. But what abilities stay unlocked from a dream eater and what are only as long they are in the party or third slot?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 26, 2019

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I assume they share since they don’t have separate skill trees for each character.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Augus posted:

replaying BBS on PS4 has reaffirmed what I already knew: the only fun way to play BBS is to be Aqua, load yourself up with overpowered, flashy magic commands, and completely destroy everything.

I think one of Dream Drop Distance's fatal flaws is actually that its progression system is less easily broken. The game does a good job at keeping you from getting many overpowered abilities early on (besides Balloon, which is overpowered by accident and also boring) and that's a bad thing because actually having to engage with the combat system only reveals how many holes there are in it.
The Command Deck system is at its best when you're using a combination of Sleep, Magnet, and Wind magic to stunlock Vanitas so you can ignore his obnoxious moveset and just pelt him with your strongest, dumbest spells while he's hanging in the air like a doofus.

In addition to what you said I'd also add this. I'm currently playing BBS and there's a few things I've done recently that's made it a *muuuuch* better experience than when I was first starting.

Start command melding as soon as you can with crystals. I spent 20ish levels with Terra not doing that and it was a not bad experience. I didn't fully understand just how good the abilities were until I started getting them. It's nuts. Also if you have an Android smartphone get the Birth By Sleep Meld Calculator in the Play Store. It will save you a lot of time!

Full disclosure: Cheesy bullshit is my jam and I also love to grind.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Start command melding as soon as you can with crystals. I spent 20ish levels with Terra not doing that and it was a not bad experience. I didn't fully understand just how good the abilities were until I started getting them. It's nuts.

Why would you not be doing that to begin with, it's not like crystals have any other use in the game

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it bad that in BBS that I just sold off all the single use items and buy more spells with them? That felt like the way to go to craft better gear.

Also when I played BBS, I oddly had a worst time with Ventus this time. For some reason he got underpowered, especially after having played Terra and him just generally killing enemies with a few hits. Then again Ventus was where I abandoned my original playthrough on the PSP. Terra slow as gently caress, but he also strong and at least with his better attacks he gets pretty good at murdering fast.

And Aqua just fun to play as period.

I would just sell off the single use items in DDD as well, but since I am constantly buying moves to meld, I don't need to use the shop as much.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

TriffTshngo posted:

Why would you not be doing that to begin with, it's not like crystals have any other use in the game

Because I completely forgot about doing it outside of early experimentation!

But having that app on hand made me wanna do it more, it's pretty good.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

But what abilities stay unlocked from a dream eater and what are only as long they are in the party or third slot?

When you go into the Abilities screen, it's divided up into sections. The Stats section, with the Fire Screens and HP Pluses and such, only apply when the Dream Eater is in your party and has the ability. The other sections are much smaller, but do not require the Eater be in your party. However, I believe if the Eater dies or you get rid of it entirely, you lose those abilities.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The only real use for Items in BBS is for the Vanitas Remnant since you can't use Cure against him as he'll counter with his own cure.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aegof posted:

When you go into the Abilities screen, it's divided up into sections. The Stats section, with the Fire Screens and HP Pluses and such, only apply when the Dream Eater is in your party and has the ability. The other sections are much smaller, but do not require the Eater be in your party. However, I believe if the Eater dies or you get rid of it entirely, you lose those abilities.

Wait they can die in battle?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Rirse posted:

They're pretty tough, and since all your heals apply to them it's not that likely to happen. But yes.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I got my copy of KH3 in today. Barely two hours in, I've already had three people make cryptic statements at me and I could not be happier.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Chirithy is voiced by the girl who did Kari, from the first and second Digimon shows. This reminds me I should try to catch up on the newer movies that came out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I got my copy of KH3 in today. Barely two hours in, I've already had three people make cryptic statements at me and I could not be happier.

Only 3??

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gologle posted:

Chirithy is voiced by the girl who did Kari, from the first and second Digimon shows. This reminds me I should try to catch up on the newer movies that came out.

They're...not great.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The plot of KH3 won't make sense if you haven't seen every Digimon movie

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Yeah, but two of them were from Organisation XIII, so they said enough mysterious crap for 30.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The plot of KH3 won't make sense if you haven't seen every Digimon movie

Goofy: YOU'VE. GOT. MAIL!

*Xehanort is frozen by the sudden influx of spam mail*

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/KaptainArr/status/1086501830836645888

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Looking forward to the series wrapping up as KH3 is supposedly the 'last' in this current saga.

Which of course means a few years down the line we'll get a reboot except this time instead of Disney Characters and Final Fantasy it's a mixture of the Looney Tunes and Dragon Quest.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Gologle posted:

She's also the teacher in Tamers which is a good reminder to watch or rewatch Tamers.

It is one of the 3 good anime.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Which of course means a few years down the line we'll get a reboot except this time instead of Disney Characters and Final Fantasy it's a mixture of the Looney Tunes and Dragon Quest.

King Bugs: Elmer...! They'll pay for this.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Rirse posted:

You have a pretty lengthy time to save them also.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So what's a good place to grind levels and materials in the late game for Kingdom Hearts 1, decided to return to my file where I had gotten stalled out by the fights against Ansem, part of the problem I've had is that almost anything that hits me or any of my party members is taking off at least a quarter of our health, I'm level 53 by the way

Also Hades Cup Cerberus is an rear end in a top hat

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

drrockso20 posted:

So what's a good place to grind levels and materials in the late game for Kingdom Hearts 1, decided to return to my file where I had gotten stalled out by the fights against Ansem, part of the problem I've had is that almost anything that hits me or any of my party members is taking off at least a quarter of our health, I'm level 53 by the way

Also Hades Cup Cerberus is an rear end in a top hat

Unfortunately, the best time to grind low-level materials in KH1 is pre-Hollow Bastion 1 completion, so you've missed that boat. Other than that it's mainly just a matter of making a checklist of what you need for synthesis, and looking up what drops it. Pulling Bambi out increases your chances (and also lets you blitz things with magic). There are quite a few useful things you can get in the first combat area of Traverse Town.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I grinded most of the way to 100 just as a side effect of having to kill defenders 750 times for their shield drop.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gruckles posted:

I grinded most of the way to 100 just as a side effect of having to kill defenders 750 times for their shield drop.

In my most recent playthrough I was in awe because I got it during normal gameplay. I had to just pause at the time and sit there like "... huh".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I got on my PS3 run but no luck on my PS4 playthrough. I did get in KH2 some book shield for Goku that had a 1% chance of dropping. Used that for the rest of the game.