Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Piggy Smalls posted:

My diet is going to suffer this weekend. Heading to Vegas until Sunday and I have a tendency to over eat and drink too much when I’m there.

Mine too would suffer in the buffet capital of the world. Godspeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Shrimp is very low calorie. All you can eat shrimp and wear a trunchcoat for stuffin' so you have something to munch on at the nickel slots.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tip posted:

I like to eat frozen mango. You can buy a huge bag of cubed frozen mango ready cheap, it won't go bad, and it doesn't get super hard, it's a satisfying chew.

pickled mango bitch

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
https://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy/photos/foods-with-100-calories?ic1=spoutable

Nice varied list to drive home that not all snacks are created equal. With lovely photography.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
It is easier to eat more sensible portions when my coworkers forget to bring food and nothing is open. Sharing is caring and also weight loss.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Goons I’m in Vegas. Where can I go to eat sensibly?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Goons I’m in Vegas. Where can I go to eat sensibly?

dudeness posted:

Shrimp is very low calorie. All you can eat shrimp and wear a trunchcoat for stuffin' so you have something to munch on at the nickel slots.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i dont understand eating windows. just count calories and eat when you get hungry. if you find youre hungry at parts of the day, spread it out

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Relin posted:

i dont understand eating windows. just count calories and eat when you get hungry. if you find youre hungry at parts of the day, spread it out

CICO for life.

http://justcico.com

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
It works for some people. If you tend to feel more satisfied with larger meals less often then it makes sense to fast in between to make up for it, when you are trying to stay at a calorie deficit.

Edit I have never tried the alternate day thing, I'm thinking more of intermittent fasting where you basically can just skip breakfast and have a somewhat early dinner and fast in between.

Dixville fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 26, 2019

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Scale says I lost a pound since Monday. I feel slightly lighter.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

Well basically its another level to up you gains / losses.
If you already cico/lowcarb why not do it within a certain timeframe?

Heres a rundown:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM

tl;dr: if you just eat whatever you eat within a shorter window you gain muscle for free! Trainers now hate you!

edit: anecdotal evidence: i am down 3 kilos after 1 week of eating within a 9 hour window
edit 2: coffee or tea is eating. Everything thats metabolizued counts as "eating".

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 26, 2019

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Uh no you can have plain coffee or tea during fasting, that's fine. Don't add sugar or milk to it though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dixville posted:

Uh no you can have plain coffee or tea during fasting, that's fine. Don't add sugar or milk to it though.

She explicitly says that caffeine is a xenobiotic and tehrefor gets metabolzed and therefor breaks fasting

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I don't know who that person is or what those pseudo scientific words mean but okay. Coffee and tea have negligible calories. I guess they could theoretically modulate your bodies metabolism so maybe you aren't utilizing your own fat/glycogen stores the same way you would without. Generally people who do intermittent fasting still get good results drinking diet drinks and other minimal calorie things during fasting but do what works for you!

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

Dixville posted:

It works for some people. If you tend to feel more satisfied with larger meals less often then it makes sense to fast in between to make up for it, when you are trying to stay at a calorie deficit.

Edit I have never tried the alternate day thing, I'm thinking more of intermittent fasting where you basically can just skip breakfast and have a somewhat early dinner and fast in between.

I love intermittent fasting. It's really easy to stick with long term (I honestly felt lovely when I stopped doing it for a few weeks over the holidays) and feels like it makes CICO easier. I just always skip breakfast (you quickly get used to this) and eat a late lunch and a small dinner. I sometimes reverse that depending on how I feel. Pretty much always feel satisfied and going hungry in the morning makes you enjoy dinner/lunch a lot more.

I add skim milk to my coffee in the morning so it isn't technically a fast.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Dixville posted:

I don't know who that person is or what those pseudo scientific words mean but okay. Coffee and tea have negligible calories. I guess they could theoretically modulate your bodies metabolism so maybe you aren't utilizing your own fat/glycogen stores the same way you would without. Generally people who do intermittent fasting still get good results drinking diet drinks and other minimal calorie things during fasting but do what works for you!

so you dont understand those words but you know better than the scientist.
ok.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Ok here's another scientist saying it's fine to drink plain coffee when you are intermittent fasting for weight loss.

http://doctorakil.com/coffee-intermittent-fasting

It mentions the potential anti aging benefits of IF may be interrupted by coffee. This thread is about weight loss so that is the perspective I was coming from.

Edit, actually she's an MD not a PhD

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Oh and even better, there's a comment on that one linking this research that shows coffee may actually induce autophagy so it would be fine anyway, if this is true.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4111762/

There are a lot of people out there that are happy to convince you that they have this whole diet and exercise thing all figured out. They may use fancy sounding words and new theories to sell you on how Their Way Is The Right Way Period End Of Story but the fact is that a lot of these ideas aren't well researched. I honestly cant imagine intermittent fasting without anything but water, when I did it I had diet drinks with caffeine, or coffee. Doing it without the stimulant and appetite supressing effects of caffeine would be loving miserable for me. Again, do what works for you. Take new theories with a grain of salt.

Edit salt also has negligible calories hope this helps (actually no calories it's just sodium and chloride)

Dixville fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 26, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

She explicitly says that caffeine is a xenobiotic and tehrefor gets metabolzed and therefor breaks fasting

There seems to be a lot of back and forth on that, and about every other facet of 'windowed' eating. From what I have seen, there are people who have done fine losing weight and getting healthy with every variation of these diets. So find one that works for you and go with it. Don't be that guy who shits on people for having a cup of tea because you watched Joe Rogan for gently caress's sake.

That being said, I still drink lots of caffeine on my off days. I just omit the sugar and cream. My wife drinks hers with about 70 calories of cream and sugar and just omits it from her 500 calories. My brother gave up coffee entirely.

I am sure counting calories is a good thing, but it just seems really tedious to me, and I know I'd gently caress it up because I've hosed it up a million times already. If it works for people, that's awesome. I envy you. For me counting to 500 on one day and not giving a poo poo the next seems to be working so far. This cico thing is fun, though.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 26, 2019

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Dregs posted:

There seems to be a lot of back and forth on that, and about every other facet of 'windowed' eating. From what I have seen, there are people who have done fine losing weight and getting healthy with every variation of these diets. So find one that works for you and go with it. Don't be that guy who shits on people for having a cup of tea because you watched Joe Rogan for gently caress's sake.

That being said, I still drink lots of caffeine on my off days. I just omit the sugar and cream. My wife drinks hers with about 70 calories of cream and sugar and just omits it from her 500 calories. My brother gave up coffee entirely.

I am sure counting calories is a good thing, but it just seems really tedious to me, and I know I'd gently caress it up because I've hosed it up a million times already. If it works for people, that's awesome. I envy you. For me counting to 500 on one day and not giving a poo poo the next seems to be working so far. This cico thing is fun, though.

Its not about joe fcking rogan, but a scientist on his show, thats a bit of a difference.
its also about literally exactly said cup of coffee or not, and if a scientist says its not ok and some random goon says "its ok", im inclined to trust the scientist, but maybe thats just me.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Its not about joe fcking rogan, but a scientist on his show, thats a bit of a difference.
its also about literally exactly said cup of coffee or not, and if a scientist says its not ok and some random goon says "its ok", im inclined to trust the scientist, but maybe thats just me.

Alright man. No one is gonna fight you for it. Keep on avoiding that coffee.

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

Fasting is very effective for me. I drink plain coffee and water with some lite salt in the mornings with no regrets.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In my experience I don't think actually counting calories is really necessary unless you have very specific goals like fit in that suit/dress by wedding day or get super shredded for summer vacation. I estimated once how much I should be eating and then what kind of stuff can fit in that budget. So e.g. I can have a decent chunk of meat with veggies or buckwheat/rice for lunch and a salad with like feta cheese and/or some protein for dinner and a cookie if I want to. And soo much tea. Then if I pig out for lunch or at a dinner party I reduce the next meal accordingly. There's still enough ambiguity about the science that worrying to optimize it based on the latest article seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Cool so I guess you're just gonna pretend the other posts didn't happen, nevermind feel free to keep digging that hole and only accepting The One True Diet Copyright Some Random Nutrition Scientist That Was Very Charismatic On Joe Rogan

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Intermittent fasting really simplifies counting calories for me because it basically means I don't have to, and I don't have to screw around with meal prep or worry that I'm snacking too much or anything else. I just have a leisurely time cooking something nice when I get home from work and that's it.

I'm not sure I'd consider eating in an eight hour window or whatever the same thing though, isn't between 8am-6pm a pretty normal meal time schedule even for people who aren't paying attention to their intake? That's three meals and some snacks so you're right back to having to portion everything out for a calorie limit

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

In my experience I don't think actually counting calories is really necessary unless you have very specific goals like fit in that suit/dress by wedding day or get super shredded for summer vacation. I estimated once how much I should be eating and then what kind of stuff can fit in that budget. So e.g. I can have a decent chunk of meat with veggies or buckwheat/rice for lunch and a salad with like feta cheese and/or some protein for dinner and a cookie if I want to. And soo much tea. Then if I pig out for lunch or at a dinner party I reduce the next meal accordingly. There's still enough ambiguity about the science that worrying to optimize it based on the latest article seems like more trouble than it's worth.

This works if you already have a basic grounding in and understanding of the calories in foods. For me, as someone who just started a month ago to count calories, it amazes me how some foods that I used to snack on indiscriminately are hugely calorific. Now I've been counting 1500 a day for a month I have a much better understanding, and I don't strictly weigh out every ingredient when I cook because I have a decent idea of how many calories I have left and roughly how many are in the foods I'm preparing. But if I'd done that before I did start counting strictly, my estimates would have been waaaay off.

Eugene V. Deadlift
Apr 8, 2013
How does IF work in conjunction with weight training? My understanding is that there's a cap on protein that can be metabolized by the body at one time, so an eating window seems hard to work around.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

lol

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Fasting sounds bad. No one should go hungry :(

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

mobby_6kl posted:

if you have the specific goal of losing weight calorie counting really helps.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I lost 140 (380-240)pounds in 2018 by getting on steroids because I had low t nd the weight just fell off at a pound or more per day for like six continuous months

I didn't even go to the gym though now I run about 25 miles per week

In conclusion steroids are awesome, ask your doctor to check yer t levels

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Charles Bukowski posted:

Fasting sounds bad. No one should go hungry :(

You're not going hungry, IT still means eating a generous amount of calories, available on a more regular basis and in more varied forms than anyone has ever had at any point in human history.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Honestly, you can get very satisfied with delicious salad. Had a big one for dinner and I felt like I ate an entire McDonald's restaurant plus employees and the kitchen.

Also you feel so :smug: when doing that.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I've had some pretty good experiences with IF in the past and without getting into any kind of physiological justification for it or lack thereof, it was pretty effective as a psychological lever to use against myself. I, and I suspect a decent amount of other fatties and people with other kinds of addictions, fall into a trap in which you're continually negotiating internally about what you are and are not okay to eat. IF is a clear way to draw an unambiguous line for yourself against which you can't otherwise argue when the badbrain kicks in

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I've had some pretty good experiences with IF in the past and without getting into any kind of physiological justification for it or lack thereof, it was pretty effective as a psychological lever to use against myself. I, and I suspect a decent amount of other fatties and people with other kinds of addictions, fall into a trap in which you're continually negotiating internally about what you are and are not okay to eat. IF is a clear way to draw an unambiguous line for yourself against which you can't otherwise argue when the badbrain kicks in

You just stated my feelings better than I could myself.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Right, a flat no is always easier than some kind of compromise that I would end up going back on later anyway. If I ate too many of my calories early in the day it never worked to tell myself I'd just have a garden salad for supper; I'd wind up eating a full meal then too. But for whatever reason it's so much easier the other way around, and now even if I'm getting a little hungry I have no trouble passing up the free donuts at work when I can promise myself a decadent feast when I get home. And I also find deciding on what I want to make and going over what I need and the budget and whatnot an enjoyable diversion for my fatty fat fatass brain that just loves food too much.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Heres a rundown:

tl;dr: if you just eat whatever you eat within a shorter window you gain muscle for free! Trainers now hate you!

edit: anecdotal evidence: i am down 3 kilos after 1 week of eating within a 9 hour window
edit 2: coffee or tea is eating. Everything thats metabolizued counts as "eating".

I never knew Newt from Aliens became a nutrutionist.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Heres a rundown:

this is dumb garbage, it's been proven over and over again that meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss and the benefit of IF is behavioral, not physiological

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Yolomon Wayne posted:

so you dont understand those words but you know better than the scientist.
ok.

lmao