Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

actionjackson posted:

Great, thank you.

Also I'm assuming there's no way do things like remove app icon titles, change icon size, etc. without jailbreaking? I like to keep the look pretty minimal.

No. Some apps allow you change their icons though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Great, thank you.

Also I'm assuming there's no way do things like remove app icon titles, change icon size, etc. without jailbreaking? I like to keep the look pretty minimal.

Nope. The home screen won't let you customize much visually but it works fine.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

No. Some apps allow you change their icons though.

How do you do that? I couldn't find anything.

Also is there anyway to have more than six icons in the dock?

That is one thing I like about Android - being able to customize that a lot through Nova launcher etc.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

actionjackson posted:

That is one thing I like about Android - being able to customize that a lot through Nova launcher etc.

If that’s really important to you, you’re not going to have a good time on iOS.

You can get blank icons with a web app though, if that helps.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

actionjackson posted:

Unfortunately, it’s dependent on the app. Not that many let you change, usually it’s in the in-app settings of any apps that support it, sometimes it’s in system settings though.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

actionjackson posted:

its on a per app basis and usually inside the app’s settings pane in-app

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's not super important I'm just asking. Thank you

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
There are absolutely crazy insane people who have forced their home screens to look like this by making use of the Shortcuts app in ways that it was probably never designed to be used:

If you’re one of those people then the gist is you download the Shortcuts app and then you create a Shortcut for each app you want to replace with whatever custom icon you want, and the invisible text is just a blank “Braille” character.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

actionjackson posted:

Great, thank you.

The home screen is pretty minimal as it is. Just stick a simple wallpaper on it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Thank you thank you thank you! I had no idea this existed, but man does it work nicely.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are absolutely crazy insane people who have forced their home screens to look like this by making use of the Shortcuts app in ways that it was probably never designed to be used:

If you’re one of those people then the gist is you download the Shortcuts app and then you create a Shortcut for each app you want to replace with whatever custom icon you want, and the invisible text is just a blank “Braille” character.

Every day we stray further from God’s light.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Thank you for the recommendation. Yes it's already kind of minimal but I had tiny white icons and invisible folders on my android because I have autism

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
oh god GoodReader what have they done to you

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

oh god GoodReader what have they done to you

That colour change. :gonk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

tuyop posted:

That colour change. :gonk:

That EVERYTHING change. :stonk:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I always liked GoodReader despite its mess of an interface. Honestly I’ll probably switch back to it now that the new version is out; Documents is nice but the fact that you can’t set it to display all pages of a PDF at the same width in continuous-scroll mode has always annoyed me.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Weedle posted:

I always liked GoodReader despite its mess of an interface. Honestly I’ll probably switch back to it now that the new version is out; Documents is nice but the fact that you can’t set it to display all pages of a PDF at the same width in continuous-scroll mode has always annoyed me.

Use the new goodnotes?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I’ve been using GoodReader for like, 10 years or something now and I don’t have the heart to switch. It’s like an old friend. :ohdear:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I'm looking for an app that's kinda best described as "twitter plus google location history, but just for my historical reference and me alone."

I want to be able to fire off one sentence to an app on my iphone (bonus points, fire it off through siri) and have it recorded in a text file somewhere. Webdav preferred for my own nextcloud, but I'll take google drive.

This thing should have an api that lets me tie it into ifttt so I can record data from my automatic odb2 dongle in my car to get location data for mileage tracking.

I think drafts can do the former; but can anything else like ifttt talk to drafts?

Edit: the reason I want one app to do both is I want all this info wrapped up into a text file at the end of the day.

xarph fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 1, 2019

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Do you want it to track haircuts?

j/k: I’m unaware of anything like what you describe existing. You may be best served to look in Shortcuts and see if you can chain together what you want done.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there an app that can block popup ads in third party apps like okcupid? I already have 1Blocker

On android I was using "Block This!"

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 2, 2019

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

actionjackson posted:

Is there an app that can block popup ads in third party apps like okcupid? I already have 1Blocker

On android I was using "Block This!"

Not really possible from the app store at least. Your best bet is going to be setting up a vpn with pihole to block the ones that come from known ad domains but it's certainly not 100%.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Something like AdGuard can do blocking at the DNS level but what ads it blocks depends on what that third party has in their block list.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone here use KyPass? Mine randomly started saying that my master password is wrong, it’s not. I found some other people with the same issue but it’s been ignored it seems. I’ve tried reinstalling the app but no dice.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm using MiniKeyPass without issue

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mine is working fine.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I use Pocket Casts as my daily podcast app. I love it and have it configured perfectly for my daily use.

I want to use a separate app to listen to podcasts as I fall asleep. I want to download about 50 podcasts and play them continuously in a specific order. I'm having a hard time finding an app to do what I thought would be this simple task.

- Apple's Podcasts.app doesn't let me put episodes in a specific order and the Up Next list has to rebuilt each time.
- Overcast won't play an already played episode automatically. So once I listen to everything once, it stops after one episode because there is nothing "new" to play. And I can't mark episodes as "Unplayed" to restart everything.

Any suggestions? I don't mind paying a few bucks, but I don't want to drop money on something like Castro just to find out it can't do what I want.

I have tinnitus so I need some sound to help me fall asleep, and listening to some of my favorite podcast episodes works perfectly because it's interesting stuff but not so interesting that it keeps me awake.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Violator posted:

I use Pocket Casts as my daily podcast app. I love it and have it configured perfectly for my daily use.

I want to use a separate app to listen to podcasts as I fall asleep. I want to download about 50 podcasts and play them continuously in a specific order. I'm having a hard time finding an app to do what I thought would be this simple task.

- Apple's Podcasts.app doesn't let me put episodes in a specific order and the Up Next list has to rebuilt each time.
- Overcast won't play an already played episode automatically. So once I listen to everything once, it stops after one episode because there is nothing "new" to play. And I can't mark episodes as "Unplayed" to restart everything.

Any suggestions? I don't mind paying a few bucks, but I don't want to drop money on something like Castro just to find out it can't do what I want.

I have tinnitus so I need some sound to help me fall asleep, and listening to some of my favorite podcast episodes works perfectly because it's interesting stuff but not so interesting that it keeps me awake.

Have you tried using this button?

I (re)listen to stuff all the time this way and it’s never been an issue.

E: there’s a chance I might have misunderstood what you’re asking

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 5, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you tried using this button?

I (re)listen to stuff all the time this way and it’s never been an issue.

E: there’s a chance I might have misunderstood what you’re asking

It looks like you stream your episodes and that button downloads the episode locally? I have a trash can icon where the plus symbol is on yours.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Violator posted:

It looks like you stream your episodes and that button downloads the episode locally? I have a trash can icon where the plus symbol is on yours.

I do have my settings set to streaming mode. That button (it’s a trash can if I tap on either of the two with the ☁️) just adds it back to my “list” so that it can be played again (the cloud shows up if I hit the button).

Violator
May 15, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I do have my settings set to streaming mode. That button (it’s a trash can if I tap on either of the two with the ☁️) just adds it back to my “list” so that it can be played again (the cloud shows up if I hit the button).

Hmm. I think that's for previously played streaming episodes? I can't get anything but a trashcan there for my downloaded episodes.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Violator posted:

Same 50 episodes?

Because it sorta feels like you should just download the audio files, load them in as music, and set up a music playlist.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Nah, I’d like to change them around every so often. That might be what I end up doing now that you suggest it.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ended up trying Downcast and it looks like it should work perfect. It's not very pretty, but it has tons and tons of options for organization, playing, setting defaults, rules, etc.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Are there any good apps for basic read/editing of OpenOffice docs/spreadsheets? Pages/Numbers and Word/Excel can open them fine but will only save in their respective formats

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Can anyone recommend a good floor plan app for iPad? There are quite a few but I don’t know what the differences are.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The Milkman posted:

Are there any good apps for basic read/editing of OpenOffice docs/spreadsheets? Pages/Numbers and Word/Excel can open them fine but will only save in their respective formats

https://www.office700.com/

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

this looks alright, thanks

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

According to its own App Store description, it's forked off of Apache OpenOffice (the abandoned side of the upstream fork), not LibreOffice.

I suppose it's useful for now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Milkman posted:

You can export office formats in pages and numbers using the ... menu