Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Convex posted:

Didn't Megaton edition come out in 2013? :v:

I was about to say that I got this in a box back in the late 90s but after a brief search I realized that I was thinking of the Kill-A-Ton collection :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The biggest issue with Duke 3D are its confusingly named multiple releases: Duke 3D. Duke 3D Megaton Edition. Duke 3D Atomic Edition. Duke 3D Plutonium PAK. Duke 3D Kill-A-Ton Collection. Duke 3D Nuclear Proliferation. Duke 3D MAD.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The biggest issue with Duke 3D are its confusingly named multiple releases: Duke 3D. Duke 3D Megaton Edition. Duke 3D Atomic Edition. Duke 3D Plutonium PAK. Duke 3D Kill-A-Ton Collection. Duke 3D Nuclear Proliferation. Duke 3D MAD.

Are you saying you never walked into an arcade as a kid and wonder what the new version of Street Fighter II was called?

Oh, look there's World Warrior on one end of the arcade with a crowd. Wait, there's Super Turbo on the opposite side.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I found a bootleg "Rainbow Edition" in the wild at an airport a few years ago and I was happier than was probably reasonable.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Sonicsonicsonicsonicsonicsonicsonicboom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4R3bRKaAvg

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6eAcxWrq2A They even made AAAAAAAAA

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 26, 2019

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

doctorfrog posted:

Good games will let you change difficulty between missions.

Better games will let you change it during play.

The best games have difficulty change the mission design so they can't let you change it during play.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think the best games are designed around one, singular difficulty so the design focus stays sharp. Many games are this way, and then they tack on the arbitrary easy difficulty: 50% health and hard difficulty: 200% health and then people end up playing a gimped version of the game that was never meant to be and your opinion of the game suffers for it.

Perfect example is Dusk's "Ultra-Violence" equivalent. I felt compelled to use it because i play UV in Doom. This is apparently a really bad idea.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 26, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Dusk’s UV equivalent would be Cero Miedo, which is a fine difficulty to play the game on. Its nightmare equivalent is the one that’s a bad idea, because every enemy kills you in one hit.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, CM is the best difficulty to play Dusk on. The easier ones are too boring.

The Scythe start modifier is neat, but throwing stuff is so strong in that game that it's really just more of a nuisance than anything lol

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

I found a bootleg "Rainbow Edition" in the wild at an airport a few years ago and I was happier than was probably reasonable.

You can’t just say that and not tell us what was different to make it ~rainbow~

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

anatomi posted:

Doom is one of those games, I guess? I find it hilarious that anyone's self-esteem would be so fragile that a tongue in cheek riffing (and suitable given the context) would them feel the sads.

How dare this game shame me!!!

I don't mind Doom's names. They're amusing and not mean. Heck, even baby bonnet BJ is pretty funny. But there are games where on anything less than the highest difficulty the end is cut off, instead giving you a "you suck play the REAL game" screen, and those can gently caress right off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Arivia posted:

The palette on the title screen was all hosed up, hence "rainbow".

Also, you could change character mid-round with the start button, and there's a bunch of other weird move changes, like Honda's slapping rapid-firing turtle-slow Hadokens.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Keiya posted:

I don't mind Doom's names. They're amusing and not mean. Heck, even baby bonnet BJ is pretty funny. But there are games where on anything less than the highest difficulty the end is cut off, instead giving you a "you suck play the REAL game" screen, and those can gently caress right off.

That's fair! The distinction is definitely important.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Arivia posted:

The Kins posted:

Also, you could change character mid-round with the start button, and there's a bunch of other weird move changes, like Honda's slapping rapid-firing turtle-slow Hadokens.

Off topic but if you know how normal Street Fighter operates then Rainbow will blow your mind. This is like the same poo poo that school playground rumors are made of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dhBdm9I5SQ

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Kins posted:

Oh I thought you found DN3D Rainbow Edition. :smith:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think the best games are designed around one, singular difficulty so the design focus stays sharp. Many games are this way, and then they tack on the arbitrary easy difficulty: 50% health and hard difficulty: 200% health and then people end up playing a gimped version of the game that was never meant to be and your opinion of the game suffers for it.

Perfect example is Dusk's "Ultra-Violence" equivalent. I felt compelled to use it because i play UV in Doom. This is apparently a really bad idea.

I can't even fathom what you're trying to get at here. Cero Meido is great and the only level I bother to play Dusk on. There's nothing unreasonable about it, it's not exactly a difficult game by any means.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

treat posted:

Cero Meido

Unbeliever-chan uguu~

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wamdoodle posted:

Off topic but if you know how normal Street Fighter operates then Rainbow will blow your mind. This is like the same poo poo that school playground rumors are made of:

hells bells, I played something like this 25 years ago in a random liquor store that I never visited again. Weird as hell, and I really stank at regular SFII so this was like something from another dimension.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Wamdoodle posted:

We call it "Bus Station Street Fighter" in Brazil

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

fadam posted:

Yeah, CM is the best difficulty to play Dusk on. The easier ones are too boring.

treat posted:

I can't even fathom what you're trying to get at here. Cero Meido is great and the only level I bother to play Dusk on. There's nothing unreasonable about it, it's not exactly a difficult game by any means.

I guess I'm misinformed. I mean, the creator himself suggests not to play it on that difficulty. The fact that it changes the behavior and health of the enemies leads me to believe that its not the 'intended' experience.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I guess I'm misinformed. I mean, the creator himself suggests not to play it on that difficulty. The fact that it changes the behavior and health of the enemies leads me to believe that its not the 'intended' experience.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/519860/discussions/0/2579854400751061146/#c2579854400752387526

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I love the gently caress out of Quake 1.5. The new minibosses and bosses are so drat entertaining.

One thing I can't get working is windowed fullscreen though. I have an ultrawidescreen 3440x1440 and the darkplaces engine can run at it in full screen mode fine. I use quake parameters to put it into windowed mode and with the set height and width

code:
darkplaces.exe -game quake15 -window -height 1440 -width 3440
It runs but runs like garbage even though the FPS it shows is 200. I turned off vertical sync and switched Gsync on and off a couple of times to see if that helps (did not seem like it). It's smooth but the mouse rotation sort of puts it into low fps even though the FPS never dips.

This is both running with Borderless Gaming and without.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Dude I'm pretty sure you're confusing Dusk with some other game at this point haha.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is just reminding me to play through dusk again. what a good game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Citation Needed pal

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

fadam posted:

Citation Needed pal

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

if you look down there's a couple of lines of important text under "this difficulty is not intended" that might illuminate the issue for you

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
just stumbled on that illfated attempt of a thank you romero megawad thread on doomworld, and i had no idea randi of zdoom fame and essel of btsx were trans, thats cool af

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Finally switched Wolfenstein Colossus down to an easier difficulty level and having more fun with it. If you're going to make your stealth sections into a blind game of hide and seek I'm just going to mow through Nazis and see your cutscenes.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

site posted:

just stumbled on that illfated attempt of a thank you romero megawad thread on doomworld, and i had no idea randi of zdoom fame and essel of btsx were trans, thats cool af

Wow, I didn't know either. Also yeah, I've seen enough people on Doomworld give off tells that they're chuds that I'm sure that thread had some non-pretty posts. Luckily there are respected community leaders/mods able to step in and lay down some truthbombs.

e: Awww poo poo, just noticed the thread actually got closed. :(

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Personally, I think a megawad that really analysed and utilized John Romero's style would be loads of fun. Knee Deep in the Dead is easily the best episode of any Doom. I think people are too harsh on him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

So are Ellaguro, eevee, and I think I’m forgetting at least one more notable community member.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah there's a lot of trans/nb folk in the doom community. well, relatively speaking. it would own if the community was more diverse but compared to other retro communities it's pretty rad

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

site posted:

The old versions of Zdoom listed as Randy after all.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Wow that Doomworld thread was a disaster. The old DW newproject macro would have been appropriate for the actual megawad being proposed

quote:

Kevansevans, before you start asking for help on your new mega-cool-and-whatnot project, make sure you have something to show first (screenshots, map downloads, etc). Keep in mind we've already seen the thousands of upcoming projects that actually never got done.

How does the Doom Wiki not have an entry for newproject

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

fishmech posted:

The old versions of Zdoom listed as Randy after all.

Maybe it's because it's been years since I paid any attention to vanilla (so to speak) zdoom, but I hadn't noticed when it changed.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I hadn't noticed when it changed, but I had noticed the change. Not that I cared, she is who she wants to be and it's none of my business.

Non sequitur, but I've been trying Far Cry out today, and drat this thing's hard, even on Normal. Feels like they're all crack shots while I'm decidedly not. I didn't check that "AI adapts" box on the difficulty select, since I have no idea if that'll make the game easier or way harder or what, so I'm stuck with whatever difficulty the AI is usually set to here. I also kind of want a melee attack or instant kill for successfully sneaking up on enemies, if they're going to play up stealth as much as they seem to be (at any rate, it seems like the best way to not die in five seconds). Actually, what I really want is a quicksave button; I can gun down several dudes but get shot in the back by one I didn't see in time, and have to shoot all those dudes again from square one because the checkpoints are just sparse enough to be annoying...

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Remember to download the unofficial patch that fixes enemies being able to see you through tents.

There's a way to enable quicksaving but it has a good chance of messing with the AI so I don't recommend it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

I remember FarCry 1 having really bullet spongey enemies for some reason but it's been ages since I played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Wamdoodle posted:

I remember FarCry 1 having really bullet spongey enemies for some reason but it's been ages since I played.

It does later in the game but you also have semi auto shotguns and powerful assault rifles at the same time.