Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

CNN keeps repeating and emphasizing "a senior Trump campaign official was directed to contact Roger Stone"

It's already been established that that was Steve Bannon, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Surely this is, uh, a bit melodramatic?

Nah, I've been pretty strongly jaded by my field, so your mileage may vary, I guess.

Edit: As an example. Here is an article which features an author who overruled his referees to get his paper published in Nature.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jan 25, 2019

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I read a paper in Nature (I think, maybe it was Science) about landforms on Mars from the early 2000s that was flat-out wrong (anyone who's seen satellite images of a delta could tell you it was a delta), but the paper was rushed to press and no one said anything ... until people tore it apart after publishing.

Science ain't perfect, but at least scientists are petty enough to not let things they vehemently disagree with stand.

Edit: Ben Carson is ... awake?
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/24/688249575/hud-secretary-carson-leaders-need-to-take-your-ego-out-of-it-and-end-shutdown

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 25, 2019

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Say what you want about George Will, the man is one hundred percent committed to :decorum:

that isn't really a compliment but like, this take coming from him is absolutely unsurprising, and him ripping on Graham makes sense cause he thought ol' Linds was too

Well he's right about Graham, but notice how strongly he leads with "No true Republican".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Moktaro posted:

Well he's right about Graham, but notice how strongly he leads with "No true Republican".
Oh, absolutely. George Will has been suit-and-tie Newsweek fascism for decades. I'm just glad to see his personal habits turned on someone who, ostensibly, ought to be 100% his cup of tea.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Rigel posted:

huh.... scientists think they may have just figured out what causes alzheimer's, and they may be less than a year away from testing a vaccine that could prevent and reverse it. Probably too late to help Trump.

https://twitter.com/jasonlouv/status/1088324215604801536

For me personally, figuring out a cure for Alzheimer's would literally be the best news of my life.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

https://twitter.com/MikeDorning/status/1088812282807767048

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Chad OchoCinqo is Rodger Stone's neighbor and saw him get arrested
2019 I swear.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/18millionrising/status/1088470610055839744

motherfucker

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

What is the loving point of this? How does this help anyone? Goddamnit, my job is big on promoting SE Asian employment and they are going to be pissed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Hastings posted:

What is the loving point of this? How does this help anyone? Goddamnit, my job is big on promoting SE Asian employment and they are going to be pissed.

The point of this is racism Hastings.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
This administration is a ton like when I get super duper drunk and decide to spend an hour or two modifying my Factorio base, only to realize the next day that I broke every loving thing and now I'm stuck fixing problems for the next X hours.

So then I drink to forget and do it again.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

withak posted:

The point of this is racism Hastings.

The cruelty is the point.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/nytimes/status/1088882413483278336

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trump announces deal for government to reopen for three weeks, ending longest shutdown; no money for his border wall

quote:

President Trump on Friday announced a deal with congressional leaders to temporarily reopen the government while talks continue on his demand for border wall money, a move expected to bring an end to the longest shutdown in U.S. history.

The pact, announced by Trump from the Rose Garden at the White House, would reopen shuttered government departments for three weeks while leaving the issue of $5.7 billion for the U.S.-Mexico border wall to further talks.

The outcome was a win for Democrats and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who had insisted on no negotiations until the government was reopened.

Trump said that a congressional conference committee would spent the next three weeks working in a bipartisan fashion to come up with a border security package. He made it clear that he expects wall funding to be a prominent part of that.

So in three weeks we'll be back here again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eh I think this is an escape hatch to never try this again without saying you won't try it again.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Eh I think this is an escape hatch to never try this again without saying you won't try it again.

the wall sounded a whole lot shorter in his ramblings today

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Surely this is, uh, a bit melodramatic?

Both journals simutaneously are very well and very poorly run. Remember that scientific peer review depends on having reviewers who are a) unbiased and b) subject area experts. Science and Nature have a lot of dedicated staff and good policies in place, but they also exist principally as "prestige" outlets that pool the most "important" research in a setting that gets heavy outside coverage. They're at the very flashpoint of the perverse incentives in current academic publishing. They've taken steps to improve this over time, but there are still issues, especially at their largest circulation, generalist titles.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Right wing Internet is making GBS threads itself right now
https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1088883261105942528
https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/1088883900808495104
https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1088881685230280704?s=20

Brown Moses with the real talk.
https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1088887081299005446

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Commander-In-Soy is actually kind of a cute nickname. I wonder if Trump giving in will decimate the base now on top of the rest of the country hating him.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want to know the full political impact of Donald Trump caving in, in the eyes of his voters. :kheldragar:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So what does a three-week reopening mean for things like food stamp assistance benefits etc?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

So what does a three-week reopening mean for things like food stamp assistance benefits etc?

Three more weeks of operations plus a bit of rebuilt slush fund. They might be able to make it stretch of they assume another shutdown is coming.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

- around 80-90% of illegal contraband comes through legal points of entry
- people in the border states don't want the wall, including a republican congressman
- it would cut through private property and reservations
- a 50 billion dollar per year mexican drug economy isnt going to come to a halt over an unguarded wall, especially when they've been able to dig their gang leaders out of guarded prisons
- Republicans had 2 years operating all levers of government and they didn't find it emergency enough to pass funding when they could have-- multiple times
- illegal border crossings are at their lowest rate in almost 50 years
- democrats wanted to use that money on border security in a way that actually works, allegedly

You all know this. Everyone who isn't racist or dumb knows that a wall is a symbol. I just wasted everyone's time regurgitating things people already knew.
I have it. I have the TDS. *muffles a cough*

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I bet this is what finally got Trump to cave.

Having one of New York's two airports shut would have caused loving chaos.

And I'm sure it would have also lead to a whole lot of other airports closing. They were all waiting for someone else to take that first step.

And now, they all know that this is all that it takes to get Trump to cave. So, if he does shut government down again in three weeks, I'm betting this time poo poo's going to fall apart a lot faster.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Even in this scenario you can use planes to get over Trump's wall

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Megillah Gorilla posted:

And I'm sure it would have also lead to a whole lot of other airports closing. They were all waiting for someone else to take that first step.

And now, they all know that this is all that it takes to get Trump to cave. So, if he does shut government down again in three weeks, I'm betting this time poo poo's going to fall apart a lot faster.

With back pay and 3 whole weeks to plan, I don't see why Federal Employees wouldn't have crafted very well thought out loan applications to get them through at very reasonable interest rates though. They should be able to last at least 3 months before they start getting antsy about working for free.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rash of people quitting federal jobs in the next 3 weeks. There was some question about whether you would get your back pay if you quit during a furlough.

Unemployment is low so places are looking for qualified workers. If you were working a Fed job and had any inkling about quitting/looking for a new job, this past month was probably the last straw for a lot of people.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
My granda had dementia and my gums bleed when I brush my teeth.

My health anxiety is loving this new breakthrough!

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Maybe oral irrigators (ie. Water Pik or one of those things that goes on the faucet) are worth looking at if you're feeling seriously paranoid about this I guess?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/25/roger-stone-indictment-arrest-analysis

quote:

The full extent of the coordination remains unclear. Mueller, who tends to release only what he needs when he needs to, may have emails, text messages and testimony shedding more light on how the Trump campaign capitalised.

We may never know. It is possible that, unlike Stone and many of his hapless associates, at least some people involved managed to avoid, in the memorable phrase of Stringer Bell from HBO’s The Wire, “taking notes on a criminal conspiracy”.

:omarcomin:

It’s a quote that has been repeated on these forums many times, but it still does me good to see it get a mention there.

I also can’t read a header about “making somebody sweat” without instantly hearing C+C Music Factory in my mind.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 26, 2019

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/25/roger-stone-indictment-arrest-analysis

It’s a quote that has been repeated on these forums many times, but it still does me good to see it get a mention there.

I also can’t read a header about “making somebody sweat” without instantly hearing C+C Music Factory in my mind.

Yeah, but we know Jr. definitely took notes. He published some of them himself thinking they exonerated him!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mierenneuker posted:

Excuse me, it's "criminal loving conspiracy" :colbert:

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but we know Jr. definitely took notes. He published some of them himself thinking they exonerated him!
Well yeah that's why you take notes, to Cover Your rear end.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Gyges posted:

With back pay and 3 whole weeks to plan, I don't see why Federal Employees wouldn't have crafted very well thought out loan applications to get them through at very reasonable interest rates though. They should be able to last at least 3 months before they start getting antsy about working for free.

Thank you Mr. Ross.

twerking on the railroad posted:

Yes, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a rash of people quitting federal jobs in the next 3 weeks. There was some question about whether you would get your back pay if you quit during a furlough.

Unemployment is low so places are looking for qualified workers. If you were working a Fed job and had any inkling about quitting/looking for a new job, this past month was probably the last straw for a lot of people.

There's no longer any question about back pay for federal workers, it's now statutorily guaranteed for this and all future shutdowns. The million plus contractors are completely hosed, though, there will be no back pay for them.

Having federal workers quit en masse is a Republican wet dream - it is part of their overall goal to have government fail so their services can be given to Republican donors to start making a profit on, profit naturally paid for by taxpayers. Most federal workers aren't in it just for the money, though, since federal salaries have lagged the private sector for decades. The entire concept of "locality pay" has been an attempt to correct for that, but like everything else it hasn't been properly funded.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Saudis developing ballistic missiles:(

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/middle-east/experts-images-suggest-a-saudi-ballistic-missile-program/amp_articleshow/67700085.cms

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Collapsing petro states are going to be a wonderful feature of the next 100 years.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

duodenum posted:

Collapsing petro states are going to be a wonderful feature of the next 100 years.

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of this development. I'm sure the US will find some means of intervention that makes everything an order of magnitude more dangerous for everyone, too.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ren/2683566002/

I know that we probably don't go with a lot of "If it Bleeds, it Leads" type news here, but this story seems to be worth watching.

A St. Louis police officer was killed in what was first reported to be an "accidental shooting", but was then revealed to be a game of Russian Roulette.

So according to the story, three officers were in the apartment of Nathaniel Hedron, who loaded a revolver, shot one bullet, handed it to her, she pulled, nothing, she handed it back to him,
and he shot her...at the same time as his partner, who of course was washing his hands of the entire matter, was leaving the apartment.

This story seems too ridiculous to be true, and I don't know why the partner, who, along with Hedron, was on-duty at the time, isn't being charged with something.

It seems like this is a story concocted to cover up what might have either been a personal fight (maybe over a romantic relationship?), or, given the state of police in Saint Louis, it could involve her knowing about corruption. I mean, that is speculation, but the story as it is doesn't really hold water.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone have a link to the actual stop gap spending bill and what is actually covered in the bill because I wanna know if HUD payments, SNAP payments, TANF payments are all in the bill? And I can't find that. SNAP went out early in Jan 20. So I wanna know if that is approved for March payments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

glowing-fish posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ren/2683566002/

I know that we probably don't go with a lot of "If it Bleeds, it Leads" type news here, but this story seems to be worth watching.

A St. Louis police officer was killed in what was first reported to be an "accidental shooting", but was then revealed to be a game of Russian Roulette.

So according to the story, three officers were in the apartment of Nathaniel Hedron, who loaded a revolver, shot one bullet, handed it to her, she pulled, nothing, she handed it back to him,
and he shot her...at the same time as his partner, who of course was washing his hands of the entire matter, was leaving the apartment.

This story seems too ridiculous to be true, and I don't know why the partner, who, along with Hedron, was on-duty at the time, isn't being charged with something.

It seems like this is a story concocted to cover up what might have either been a personal fight (maybe over a romantic relationship?), or, given the state of police in Saint Louis, it could involve her knowing about corruption. I mean, that is speculation, but the story as it is doesn't really hold water.

This was the best story the department could come up with. There is lots of unofficial reporting that the female officer was delivered to the ER with her pants not on right. And also lots of unofficial reporting of drugs on the scene. An on-the-clock drugs-gently caress-guns party on meth seems like a lot better explanation than "Our Brave Heroes In Blue ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGED and it was all an accident, a silly game, nothing to worry about"