Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate that site so much. Why is every recipe preceded by a 10,000 word essay.

To pad the space for ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

MeKeV posted:

I don't know if it's my instant pot specifically, but I've never had much luck opening the pot and then bringing it up to pressure for a second time, with anything saucey/stewy. Especially if there's lentil or similar in there.
It reckons it's come to pressure, starts counting down but it hasn't, and I end up with a burnt bottom. Unless I go way over the top with extra liquid almost turning it in to a soup.

It's your pot, mine has no problem like that. Several people have said they need a lot of liquid to get a seal, which only makes sense if you have a leak. The more liquid, the longer it takes to steam and seal. You could try pushing down on the lid when you first hear steam and see if it starts quicker. I have made recipes with only the liquid in the ingredients and had no trouble.

Unrelated, I'm visiting my in laws and they have an electric pressure cooker with communist threads on the lid that are lefty tighty, righty loosey. She thought it was a crock pot. The lid is trickier to get a seal but it works.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

poverty goat posted:

the beef in the kenji chili came out perfectly fall apart tender and juicy about as I'd expect from the normal kenji dutch oven beef stew.

Did you use the amount of stock that the recipe calls for? There were a lot of comments on the recipe saying that it was too much liquid. I’m planning to make it tomorrow and add the optional masa harina, which will hopefully help with thickening the liquid.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mentalcontempt posted:

Did you use the amount of stock that the recipe calls for? There were a lot of comments on the recipe saying that it was too much liquid. I’m planning to make it tomorrow and add the optional masa harina, which will hopefully help with thickening the liquid.

I just used a quart, and masa, and I ate half of it on homemade tacos without making too much of a mess

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010

wormil posted:

It's your pot, mine has no problem like that. Several people have said they need a lot of liquid to get a seal, which only makes sense if you have a leak. The more liquid, the longer it takes to steam and seal. You could try pushing down on the lid when you first hear steam and see if it starts quicker. I have made recipes with only the liquid in the ingredients and had no trouble.

This is only once it's already done a cook, when it's piping hot. I can start a cook from cold no problem.

But it's the pot thinking it's sealed and therefore counting down that's the issue I have. You think everything is fine, but then the bottom is scorched and whatever I've added to the pot at the end isn't cooked properly. Unless I make it overly wet.

e: vvv it's about 4 years old.

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 30, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Send it back? It's broken.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Is the valve not entirely in the closed position? I know it sounds dumb, but I had that exact thing happen once. It got to pressure, counted down, and when I went to release I noticed it was partially "open" and sure enough the food had clearly not been cooked at full pressure.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

wormil posted:

What do you do with the extra water? Make it part of the soup or drain it for some other purpose?
;edited for clarity

My mom (actually has a BA in Home Ec & wrote cookbooks/did test kitchen work for PG&E in the 70s! Also grew up on a farm in a family of 12 and learned how to cook real quick because Grandma was not a great one for anything other than German farm food) always saved the bean juice from cans in the freezer for soup base, stocks, etc. The flavor is mild but adds depth, texture and salt more than just water. Obviously, if you're needing a specific flavor go with a better than bouillion or bouillion cube or stock but otherwise don't waste that bean juice!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Tonight I made beef cheeks braised in red wine & tomatoes with a dash of soy sauce, 50 min high pressure; then served over potatoes mashed with mozzarella, sour cream, butter, cream, parmesan, & cilantro. loving delicious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Always wanted to try beef cheeks ever since I saw Gordon Ramsay use them like a decade ago in a recipe but I've literally never seen them for sale

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Here they look about the size of a small chuck roast but are about 50% fat, silver, and sinew so there is some trimming work but they are rich and delicious.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

wormil posted:

Tonight I made beef cheeks braised in red wine & tomatoes with a dash of soy sauce, 50 min high pressure; then served over potatoes mashed with mozzarella, sour cream, butter, cream, parmesan, & cilantro. loving delicious.

hell yeah.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a good pound or so of pork shoulder cut into rough cubes in the freezer. What can I make with it in the IP?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

I got a good pound or so of pork shoulder cut into rough cubes in the freezer. What can I make with it in the IP?

Carnitas!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Pollyanna posted:

Carnitas?

Maybe I just really want carnitas right now.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hmmm, bit cold for carnitas. You also have to give a proper crust to carnitas and I keep loving that up in the oven. I was considering doing a pork and beans stew of some kind, but every attempt I’ve made at beans in the IP has gone south. Maybe a pork pot au feu would work? Or some sorta stew...dunno what goes well with pork tho.

Edit oh poo poo, there’s a pork version of Kenji’s chile verde. Nice

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 5, 2019

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Pollyanna posted:

bit cold for carnitas.

Impossible!!

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Pollyanna posted:

Hmmm, bit cold for carnitas. You also have to give a proper crust to carnitas and I keep loving that up in the oven. I was considering doing a pork and beans stew of some kind, but every attempt I’ve made at beans in the IP has gone south. Maybe a pork pot au feu would work? Or some sorta stew...dunno what goes well with pork tho.

Pork chile verde in the slow cooker is my aunt's signature recipe. Can you link the recipe for Kenji's in here, please?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Pork chile verde in the slow cooker is my aunt's signature recipe. Can you link the recipe for Kenji's in here, please?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html

Snowy posted:

Impossible!!

Okay, the real reason is that I just don’t feel like it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Can confirm delicious!

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!

Pollyanna posted:

I was going to suggest this. I haven't done the pork version, but the chicken one was great.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

The pork Chile verde recipe from Seriius Eats is great; just made it recently. The Chile con carne is even better.

Anyone have an IP carnitas recipe to share?

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Pozole

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

Kakuni.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My InstantPot comes Sunday - does anyone have good coq au vin or boeuf bourginon recipes? Any other classy recipes you like, or recipes that include vegetables with the protein?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I want an 8 quart IP duo but I can't find a single source in Germany. 6 is just too small as I' d use it for ramen and other stock.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I bet this has been asked before. It's been ~ 5 years since I bought my pressure cooker so I think it's time to change the gaskets. I have a presto 6-quart pressure cooker (https://www.gopresto.com/product/6-quart-stainless-steel-pressure-cooker-0136210). Do I need to replace all 3 of the seals (the main ring, the overpressure popout, and the handle lock pin gasket)? Or just the black parts (main ring and popout).

So, do I just need this: https://www.gopresto.com/product/sealing-ring-overpressure-plug-pack-09936

Or do I need this as well: https://www.gopresto.com/product/gasket-for-air-vent-cover-lock-85660

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Eeyo posted:

I bet this has been asked before. It's been ~ 5 years since I bought my pressure cooker so I think it's time to change the gaskets. I have a presto 6-quart pressure cooker (https://www.gopresto.com/product/6-quart-stainless-steel-pressure-cooker-0136210). Do I need to replace all 3 of the seals (the main ring, the overpressure popout, and the handle lock pin gasket)? Or just the black parts (main ring and popout).

So, do I just need this: https://www.gopresto.com/product/sealing-ring-overpressure-plug-pack-09936

Or do I need this as well: https://www.gopresto.com/product/gasket-for-air-vent-cover-lock-85660

You may not "need" either of them, but in my opinion if you're replacing one, you may as well replace them all. The cost certainly isn't prohibitive.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

i keep going back and buying larger and larger quantities of misc animal parts

Going to take a stab at menudo rojo. Anyone tried it in the IP?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the best thing about homemade chicken stock isn't even the stock, it's all the schmaltz

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got a few pounds of flanken-cut beef short ribs that I'd like to do Korean-style, like a kalbi/galbi kinda thing. Has anyone done that or know of a half-decent recipe for a pressure cooker?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

VERTiG0 posted:

I've got a few pounds of flanken-cut beef short ribs that I'd like to do Korean-style, like a kalbi/galbi kinda thing. Has anyone done that or know of a half-decent recipe for a pressure cooker?
I usually pressure cook the meat for a good while (45-1 hr) with salt, garlic and pepper, then finish it off in the broiler and apply the glaze before it's done. You can also toss some of the marinade in with the pressure cooker if you prefer.

I get generic Korean BBQ sauce from the store to make it all happen.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

If they are thin and across the bones do you even need to pressure cook them?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

poverty goat posted:

i keep going back and buying larger and larger quantities of misc animal parts

This is me. I have 2 leftover roast chicken carcasses + some fresh ginger in my IP right now. Plan on making some wonton soup and hotpot. Freezer is full of pork, chicken and beef stocks. My local supermarket will cut beef bones to order so I have them cut the beef leg bones open to brown more of the marrow. Supermarkets that break down the animals on premise have good deals on offcuts and bones.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 27, 2019

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Ultimate Mango posted:

If they are thin and across the bones do you even need to pressure cook them?

Probably didn't need to, but did it anyway. They turned out incredible after 20 minutes on high pressure with a 15 minute natural release, then quick. I reduced the sauce and threw the ribs back in there before serving. Would do again 10/10.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I’ve had my Cusinart electric pressure cooker for about a month now and have been very impressed with the results.

I’m really amazed how tasty and fast stocks come out. My wife has a lot of food allergies, so I need to make stocks and broths from scratch.

This is a real time saver. Surprised I didn’t invest in one years ago.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

More time does still seem to yield better stock in the IP. I'm back up to 3 hours now for chicken stock, and the pot I left going overnight which had several hours to naturally decompress and cool before I got back to it was a clear improvement above the rest in terms of flavor and gelatin

In other news, I've found my old enormous stovetop PC. I bought it in like 2004 to sterilize half gallon mason jars of grain to grow totally legal culinary mushrooms and had forgotten about it in my parents' garage, and I'm going to use it for chicken stock since 6qt is not enough. Any suggestions going from electric to stovetop? Do I need to worry about a lightly used rubber ring that's sat in a garage for a decade?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 31, 2019

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

poverty goat posted:

Do I need to worry about a lightly used rubber ring that's sat in a garage for a decade?

They're not expensive, so I'd definitely replace that without question due to possible heat/dry rot. Better safe than sorry if it sat for that long.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Midniter posted:

They're not expensive, so I'd definitely replace that without question due to possible heat/dry rot. Better safe than sorry if it sat for that long.

Seconding replacing the seal on a pressure vessel that is of uncertain anything. 11psi suddenly failing out the sides with literally instantly-burning liquid is not a good look on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

In other news, I've found my old enormous stovetop PC. I bought it in like 2004 to sterilize half gallon mason jars of grain to grow totally legal culinary mushrooms and had forgotten about it in my parents' garage, and I'm going to use it for chicken stock since 6qt is not enough. Any suggestions going from electric to stovetop? Do I need to worry about a lightly used rubber ring that's sat in a garage for a decade?

I second the recommendation of just replacing the ring. I make all my stocks in a 16 quart Presto pressure cooker/canner and vastly prefer it over the Instant Pot due to the volume and the increased pressure. The Instant Pot does high pressure at 12 PSI while I sit right at 16 PSI in the Presto (I'm at about 1,000'). That added pressure and heat makes a big difference in browning. The beef stock I did last week is coffee colored after going for about 4 hours and got so much extraction that the beef bones just started to crumble.

With that large of a cooker, I'll get several gallons of stock, and since I don't want all that heat to go straight into the fridge, I'll cool it down by immersing a gallon ziploc bag filled with ice and salt in the bowl I've strained the stock into. During the summer, this can take a few cycles of bags through the stock before it's cool enough to go into the fridge.

Ginger Beer Belly fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 31, 2019