Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't forget that Morrowind is more than just the island of Vvardenfell. Mainland Morrowind is much closer to Imperial culture than the island, which is far more autonomous due to hostile climate and native people. Mainland Dunmer don't even sound like the ones from Vvardenfell due to not having grown up literally breathing ash.

No they all sound like that. Thats just a dumb bethesda retcon because jeff baker didnt want to wreck his vocal cords.

Case in point: mournhold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fister Roboto posted:

Don't forget that Morrowind is more than just the island of Vvardenfell. Mainland Morrowind is much closer to Imperial culture than the island, which is far more autonomous due to hostile climate and native people. Mainland Dunmer don't even sound like the ones from Vvardenfell due to not having grown up literally breathing ash.

that's not really true on either point

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Are any of the crafting mods worth it? I like turning stuff into other stuff.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In the Hlaalu territory things are probably pretty close to the Empire, I think one of the Oblivion books outright states that after the fall of the Tribunal the Nine Divines became the majority religion in Hlaalu and Vvardenfell districts.

Obviously that presumably changes after the Red Year and the Empire's withdrawal from the province, especially since the rest of the Great Houses surround Hlaalu and kick them down and keep kicking.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sky Shadowing posted:

In the Hlaalu territory things are probably pretty close to the Empire, I think one of the Oblivion books outright states that after the fall of the Tribunal the Nine Divines became the majority religion in Hlaalu and Vvardenfell districts.

Obviously that presumably changes after the Red Year and the Empire's withdrawal from the province, especially since the rest of the Great Houses surround Hlaalu and kick them down and keep kicking.

Good. loving hypocritical N'wahs

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Tr's canon extrapolates on hlaalus situation a bit. Not strictly absolute canon but logical given the sources we have and the knowledge of their fate.

This isnt in game atm i don think

quote:

The plan was originally hatched during the Tiber Wars, as the eastern houses stated their unwillingness to defend western Morrowind (favouring guerilla tactics in the interior of the province), and Hlaalu and Redoran were faced with the prospect of having their lands overrun without outside support.

While most Hlaalu advocated appeasement, and while Redoran were preparing for defeat in battle, the councillors were forced to consider all of the worst-case scenarios that faced them and try and find a path for survival, to an extent of themselves, to an extent of their house, and to an extent of Morrowind as a whole.

As it turned out, Vivec saved them from the worst by signing the Armistice, effectively putting Morrowind under Imperial control while maintaining a large degree of autonomy for the houses and Temple. The survival of the house was assured for the moment, but nobody was sure how long the situation would last.

With Indoril and Redoran internally weakened as a result and the Empire poised to set up shop in Morrowind, the Hlaalu were suddenly in a strong position to expand their power and diversify from being pass-bound merchant clans to possessing a strong economy, infrastructure, territory and political position. By doing so, they could ensure that their survival would not be as easily threatened in future.

However, there were still powerful factions that could threaten House Hlaalu. For one, the other houses, the strongest of which was still House Indoril. For another, the Empire. While Hlaalu set about taking what land they could from Redoran and Indoril, they did not forget about the potential threat the Empire or its eventual absence presented to them, and considered ways to survive in all possible outcomes.

Their answer was to keep the Empire close, encourage involvement with it on all levels within the house, adopt the new ideas it brought with it where they could use them to their advantages, form strong bonds with local officials, thereby avoiding those officials feeling a need to establish a strong military presence in Hlaalu lands.
In short, the Hlaalu intertwined themselves with the Empire, but the councillors never stopped having and updating an exit plan in case it would one day no longer prove advantageous or possible to remain under the Empire’s mantle. What that exit plan was and when it should be enacted, however, would prove to be a source of continuing disagreement, which would lead to delicate situations during events such as the War of the Red Diamond, the failed invasion of Akavir, and more recently the Simulacrum.

Tldr theyre preppers doing their damndest to hedge their bets on all sides.

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 25, 2019

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Hlaalu are in my opinion the "evillest" of the three Great Houses in game in that, in my view, they attached themselves to the Empire and parrot its values and interests only so far as it benefits them, and ignores them when it doesn't. Hence, the fact that their Great House, allegedly the most Imperial, is the greatest user of slaves, the policy least in line with Imperial doctrine.

They're collaborators. They are attempting to use the Empire for their own interests and would discard them just as quickly. Fickle.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

redoran is the only good house, as history shows

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Berke Negri posted:

redoran is the only good house, as history shows

:chloe:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
House Hlaalu rules because wealth beyond measure.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My time is short, Outlander.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

but i am never too busy, for a good, talk

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'll kill that guar, these boots are ruined.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

There's somebody watching me, I know it.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
S'wit.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
The blue plates are nice, but the brown ones seem to last longer.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Seen any elves lately?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

watch the sky

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Where is that slave? Here, not long ago.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't recall using teleportation, but there I was. Alone. Naked.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Under sun and sky, outlander, we greet you warmly.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hey Nerevar, come over here and hit this bigass blunt (this may have been from a mod)

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Why is Better Bodies is struck out of the OP? Is there a new body/head replacer?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The prey approaches.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Sweet moon sugar...

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Happy Underpants posted:

Why is Better Bodies is struck out of the OP? Is there a new body/head replacer?

The ultimate body replacer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt dirt everywhere DIRT.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

watch the sky
Great. Now I'm spooked "AF". watch the sky

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Hlaalu is the capitalist house, Redoran is the reactionary/alt-right house and Telvanni are ancaps. Dres are fascists and Indoril are the worst of all: Protestants.

The Sixth House was a proletariat vanguard party and was quashed unjustly. Kant wrote about this, paradoxically stating that revolutions (e.g. the Terror) are acceptable only once and only as long as they succeed. Vivec wanted to make up with him and would have if the Sharmat had won.

Dagoth Ur has made his mistakes, but he is embattled, desperate. The Three In One let him live because he is a convenient enemy, a battery. The treasure he guards is a "Red Star" for God's sake.

Vvardenfell deserved the Red Year. The spectre haunting the land came home.

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 27, 2019

Iverron
May 13, 2012

I have a hard time with any other Elder Scrolls game's female dunmer VA because I can only hear the elderly sounding Morrowind VA when I see them.

NOW YOU DIE

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Iverron posted:

NOW YOU DIE

Stoopid.

I wish I could greet people with "Our sugar is yours, friend" without it sounding super weird and creepy.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

eererrioc! errerrioc!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qIGctGFoyU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Balmora...poo poo...I'm still only in Balmora. Every time I think I'm going to wake up back in the Ashlands.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

[SNIIIIFFFFFFFF]

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
decided to just play as a totally hosed up Nord with all extremities just hangin in the wind
p sure I killed a v critical vhenk without realizing it and now a quest is broke
also I installed a mod that is supposed to replace the plastic wrap magic effect but honestly I think it made it far more intense and worse

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

decided to just play as a totally hosed up Nord with all extremities just hangin in the wind
p sure I killed a v critical vhenk without realizing it and now a quest is broke
also I installed a mod that is supposed to replace the plastic wrap magic effect but honestly I think it made it far more intense and worse

how in the gently caress do you mess up a noglo mod

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

it was actually a moglo mod.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Hlaalu is the capitalist house, Redoran is the reactionary/alt-right house and Telvanni are ancaps. Dres are fascists and Indoril are the worst of all: Protestants.

The Sixth House was a proletariat vanguard party and was quashed unjustly. Kant wrote about this, paradoxically stating that revolutions (e.g. the Terror) are acceptable only once and only as long as they succeed. Vivec wanted to make up with him and would have if the Sharmat had won.

Dagoth Ur has made his mistakes, but he is embattled, desperate. The Three In One let him live because he is a convenient enemy, a battery. The treasure he guards is a "Red Star" for God's sake.

Vvardenfell deserved the Red Year. The spectre haunting the land came home.

If Dagoth Ur just wasn't into creepy transhumanist body modification poo poo and didn't use biological warfare this would definitely be the correct take. But he's not. He's an ultra-left cult leader probably, as you suggest, controlled opposition of the Tribunal or in the pay of the Blades, a la Jim Jones.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
nah some random blade or jimmy jones wouldn't have come up with Tear Down the Pylons like how Dagoth did