Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Most stockers take a while to figure out what the buffet is in the river. They'll try a bit of everything. My experience is for quite a while they still go after things that look like pellets. After that you can't go wrong rolling a worm downstream or fly fishing. Fresh stocked trout taste like poo poo though, the meat is super pale and gross imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

King of Bees posted:

Most stockers take a while to figure out what the buffet is in the river. They'll try a bit of everything. My experience is for quite a while they still go after things that look like pellets. After that you can't go wrong rolling a worm downstream or fly fishing. Fresh stocked trout taste like poo poo though, the meat is super pale and gross imo.

Yeah that's kinda why I was thinking about smoking them. Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on catching eel? Those are just natural / unstocked in the river and apparently there are quite a few. Never done that before or even looked into it at all.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

That Works posted:

Yeah that's kinda why I was thinking about smoking them. Thanks for the tips. Any thoughts on catching eel? Those are just natural / unstocked in the river and apparently there are quite a few. Never done that before or even looked into it at all.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL. I am excited for you. They are tasty dudes. Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjqxr3aE6PQ

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

PYF Lifehacks

(I kid, I loving hate despooling my reels even with a drill)

NavanaSokarad
Jan 19, 2019
man i may currently live in texas but am from wisconsin. right now Im itching to go ice fishing and eat me some fresh fish right. stupid real life getting in the way is costing me my winter fishing vacation with the family. All these pictures of panfish and bass is causing my mouth to water and im bout to start crying because i have to wait for spring fishing to get my fresh fish. Oh the pain of this thread!!!! :eng99:

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

It's going to be 30 below this week, I'd rather just wait for the drat spring

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
i am so fuckin done with winter

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NavanaSokarad posted:

man i may currently live in texas but am from wisconsin. right now Im itching to go ice fishing and eat me some fresh fish right. stupid real life getting in the way is costing me my winter fishing vacation with the family. All these pictures of panfish and bass is causing my mouth to water and im bout to start crying because i have to wait for spring fishing to get my fresh fish. Oh the pain of this thread!!!! :eng99:

Texas has some of the best largemouth bass fishing short of florida my man. Get you a red craw crankbait, white spinnerbait and a green pumpkin jig and start catching them.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Went out perch fishing with a bobber earlier in the month, but my open water is freezing up.

In desperation and having no ice fishing gear, I grabbed a road-crew pick, my shortest rod, and went out on some sketchy ice and punched a hole. It was a tiny pond about 6’ deep, and I was maybe 15’ from shore.

Still, my one fish success in my one hour ice fishing trial was good enough for me.

Ice was stupid thin, but other guys were out there earlier in the day and I didn’t realize until I was out there, so rolled with it :ohdear:

titties
May 10, 2012

Congratulations, friend. I've been lusty for some walleye ever since i started fishing again last spring and i haven't caught any yet (not for lack of trying)

I planned on doing so much ice fishing this year since I got Grandpa's shanty and jigging rods but it hasn't happened. The only things I'm missing are an auger and a heater. I thought I'd figure a way to make do but as it turns out -20 degrees freedom and eighteen inches of ice are not make do conditions imo

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

DeesGrandpa posted:

Hey guys, any opinions on a TFO NXT (linked below) kit as a first fly rod (will be using in mountain rivers/streams in CO)? I've got a couple of friends who recommend them as a beginner item, but good lord there's a wealth of opinions on beginner rods that have me a little confused.

https://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-14375-tfo-nxt-fly-rod-kits.aspx

It’s not bad. Redington Crosswater combo is also not bad. The reels are actually pretty nice for what you’re paying. Or is also has a decent combo as well. Generally, most combo packs are going to be fine for a sub$200 package.

Whereabouts are you fishing in CO?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thinking about buying a spey fly rod. Good idea or bad idea? I've currently only got a 5wt rod, so its a new setup either way. Seems like advice is to go straight to two handed for salmon instead of gently caress around with a single hander and then get a two hander anyways.

Apparently most rivers around here have salmon more than anything else, where as its a bit of a drive to anything with trout.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Tell me about your favorite trolling and mooching lures, baits, and/or methods.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thinking about buying a spey fly rod. Good idea or bad idea? I've currently only got a 5wt rod, so its a new setup either way. Seems like advice is to go straight to two handed for salmon instead of gently caress around with a single hander and then get a two hander anyways.

Apparently most rivers around here have salmon more than anything else, where as its a bit of a drive to anything with trout.

That makes sense to me, unless you're trying to collect rods for all occasions.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Finally got out last weekend and after moving around to a few spots got onto some black drum. There were tons of them but they were all dinks. It was nice to throw some lines though. Need the water to get up in temp a bit and see some better fish roll back in.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have any good resources for bank fishing small/medium size rivers? I currently live at the left side of the map near the river https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12332.shtml , but the only tackle shop in the area is located at the mouth of the river in Laurence Harbor.

The old D and R canal looks promising for crappie and cats, but I'd really like to try for smallmouth, and especially Eel and American Shad. Cats not so much, the river bottom is suspect from the centuries of industry in the area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Road_Complex_Superfund_Site is downriver, but I'd rather not chance it. And the lead slag rip rap is fun too. The river has a moderate current, I'll be bank fishing and targeting spillways and visible pools and channels, but what else? I'm sure there's a lot to learn, and I'd love some reading/veiwing material to keep me company until it warms up enough for my floridized rear end to stay out more then an hour.

And I will defiantly be hiking and fishing Dismal Swamp ASAP.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 28, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have any good resources for bank fishing small/medium size rivers? I currently live at the left side of the map near the river https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/12332.shtml , but the only tackle shop in the area is located at the mouth of the river in Laurence Harbor.

The old D and R canal looks promising for crappie and cats, but I'd really like to try for smallmouth, and especially Eel and American Shad. Cats not so much, the river bottom is suspect from the centuries of industry in the area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseshoe_Road_Complex_Superfund_Site is downriver, but I'd rather not chance it. And the lead slag rip rap is fun too. The river has a moderate current, I'll be bank fishing and targeting spillways and visible pools and channels, but what else? I'm sure there's a lot to learn, and I'd love some reading/veiwing material to keep me company until it warms up enough for my floridized rear end to stay out more then an hour.

And I will defiantly be hiking and fishing Dismal Swamp ASAP.

How about stripers? Seems like you should have a good shot at some of those in that river. Not that I know much about striper fishing.

I have a bit of experience with river smallies though. Look for contrasts and changes in the substrate, like transitions from sand to gravel to rocky, or rapids and current to still-moving or back-flowing sections. Fish of all kinds generally hang out in those zones of transition. Don't try to cast all the way out in the middle of the river (unless you're bottomfishing for big cats), most fish don't want to be fighting the current all day, so they can usually be found hanging out in the eddies close to shore. I've had the most luck with crankbaits and spinners, especially lipless or deep-diving crankbaits. That's in MN though. I've found the best way to learn an area is to talk to locals and read the locals' fishing forums, then pick spots and return to them multiple times and in different conditions. Don't get discouraged by a single skunking.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Another thing to look for is an area where a bass can get out of the current and just wait for food to roll by. Little cuts off to the side of the river, behind stumps/rocks, etc. Cast further up stream and let your lure drift back if possible. Also, something I've been trying to focus on is casting more parallel to the bank and fishing the natural ledge that often forms in canals and ledges.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Is there any reason not to get a spincaster? They're really all I ever use. Most of f my old reels are kind of worn out, and I was thinking of buying a couple new ones. I noticed that spincasters generally tend to be either cheap or for kids or both, really. Would I be throwing away money if I got a nicer one like a Zebco pro or Daiwa gold? I mostly just freshwater bank fish.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Dregs posted:

Is there any reason not to get a spincaster? They're really all I ever use. Most of f my old reels are kind of worn out, and I was thinking of buying a couple new ones. I noticed that spincasters generally tend to be either cheap or for kids or both, really. Would I be throwing away money if I got a nicer one like a Zebco pro or Daiwa gold? I mostly just freshwater bank fish.

Get a spinning reel instead

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Get a spinning reel instead

Why, is what I am trying to figure out. What do you gain from losing the push button casting ability?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Not an expert but they tend to tangle like crazy and you're sacrificing distance, accuracy, and the ability to look at the guy at the fishing counter in the face.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The Dregs posted:

Once upon a time a Zebco 404 or 33 would last forever (my dad used a 404 from the early 70s until 1998 or so), but those days are over. I would advise against using one because even the more expensive ones have a rather rude tendency to fall apart in a loving hurry, and I haven't seen one last longer than a season since I was a kid. In the meantime, half of my spinning reels were purchased cheap in the mid 90s and are still going.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Those reels confuse me. I've only ever seen them on $7 kids combos, I've never seen them targeted at adults. Do they have any advantage at all over a spinning reel of a similar build quality?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

gay picnic defence posted:

Those reels confuse me. I've only ever seen them on $7 kids combos, I've never seen them targeted at adults. Do they have any advantage at all over a spinning reel of a similar build quality?

From what I've read, their main problem seems to be durability. As for advantages, they're super easy to cast one handed, jut push a button and flip your wrist. I guess this makes you a poo poo-tier fisherman, though :(

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Dregs posted:

From what I've read, their main problem seems to be durability. As for advantages, they're super easy to cast one handed, jut push a button and flip your wrist. I guess this makes you a poo poo-tier fisherman, though :(

You need two hands to reel in anyway and I cast almost exclusively one handed with a spinning reel.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Apparently they use inferior drag mechanisms, and the way the line spools off the housing creates drag so you can't cast as far. I'm sure someone could engineer a spincaster to be high performance, but I've never seen one personally

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The shimano trigger caster are almost as cheap and very easy to use plus are fairly easy to find. It’s my go to traveling reel so I don’t get bummed if I lose it or have to leave it behind.

titties
May 10, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

The shimano trigger caster are almost as cheap and very easy to use plus are fairly easy to find. It’s my go to traveling reel so I don’t get bummed if I lose it or have to leave it behind.

I would be bummed if i lost mine, but only because I've had it for over 30 years.

Which also, as mentioned, is one of the major advantages to spinning reels over closed-face reels. The little quickfire Shimano is my second reel ever. I still have it and use it on most of my outings. The first was a zebco casting reel that lasted about 2 months before it flew into a million pieces which landed in the lake.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

titties posted:

I would be bummed if i lost mine, but only because I've had it for over 30 years.

Which also, as mentioned, is one of the major advantages to spinning reels over closed-face reels. The little quickfire Shimano is my second reel ever. I still have it and use it on most of my outings. The first was a zebco casting reel that lasted about 2 months before it flew into a million pieces which landed in the lake.

yeah, I bought a couple zebco 33's last year for my son and I. The reason I am moving on is that they just don't work right anymore. They don't cast as far as they used to, and they feel gritty. Rather than trying to repair them, I decided just to replace. So I came here and found out that they're for kids and panzies.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

The Dregs posted:

yeah, I bought a couple zebco 33's last year for my son and I. The reason I am moving on is that they just don't work right anymore. They don't cast as far as they used to, and they feel gritty. Rather than trying to repair them, I decided just to replace. So I came here and found out that they're for kids and panzies.

I mean, you kind of answered your own question here. It's less about looking like a pansy than having a reel that works right.

I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but my neighborhood Fred Meyer has Daiwa spinning reel and rod combos for under $25. They're not fancy, but they're not garbage and are great to learn on. And if you think spinning reels are tricky, god help you if you ever try a baitcaster.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Let he who is without backlash try casting a 1/8th ounce jig into the wind.

Speaking of backlash, using a baitcaster with mono/floro is so different than using it with braid. I can cast all day with braided line and the various adjustments backed 80% of the way off. I try that with non braided line and backlash like a mofo. Practicing with a weightless 5" fluke in the backyard is helping, but it would help more if it wasn't gusting randomly to 20mph when I have off from work..

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm making the 2.5 hour drive out to the coast tomorrow morning to fish the jetty for WA state coast bottomfishing opener!

Wish me luck on my first lingcod/cabezon/rockfish/greenling!! I'm very excited

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well gently caress.

Not sure if the weather is gonna let you. This snow is piling up.

I’ll wait until the second week of April for a boat trip.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Razor clam weekend at Ocean Shores next week if weather permits :D

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
only 106 days until bass opens here in southern ontario

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Hooplah posted:

I'm making the 2.5 hour drive out to the coast tomorrow morning to fish the jetty for WA state coast bottomfishing opener!

Wish me luck on my first lingcod/cabezon/rockfish/greenling!! I'm very excited
Best of luck! I wish I could meet you out there.

LingcodKilla posted:

I’ll wait until the second week of April for a boat trip.
You got something planned? PM me. :madmax:

Nur_Neerg posted:

Razor clam weekend at Ocean Shores next week if weather permits :D
Oh shittttt and it's a daylight clam tide, too!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

prom candy posted:

only 106 days until bass opens here in southern ontario

I’m sitting here on the St. Clair River waiting to launch my steel boat and starting ripping some Walleyes. :sweatdrop:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Sockington posted:

I’m sitting here on the St. Clair River waiting to launch my steel boat and starting ripping some Walleyes. :sweatdrop:

They're closed in April and part of May right? So far March is not looking like a real good fishing month

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

prom candy posted:

They're closed in April and part of May right? So far March is not looking like a real good fishing month

Almost nothing is closed in Zone 19 - Bass until end of June, Musky, and that’s kind of it. Free range on everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't even realize that some places had a bass season. I guess bass aren't in that much danger in the pacific northwest since they're not salmonids.