Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The Super-Id posted:

You know, as a white guy I sometimes feel hurt by all the mistrust and the bad rep we get because I try to live my life mindful of my privilege and act in a way that helps everyone around me, then I think for half a second and realize that that discomfort I feel is not 1/100th of what women and people of color face pretty much every day.

I get the instinct to jump to the defense of white people, because sometimes I feel it when it’s pointed out that a black person can’t trust us. But then I stop myself and think that white people don’t need defended even if the generalizations made about them don’t apply to every single white person. Keeping my mouth shut and feeling what it’s like to be mistrusted and stereotyped is one of the things I can do to resist my own privilege.

I hope a day is coming when white people, and especially white men can be trusted again but I agree that it’s not today. Anyway, I hope I didn’t stick my foot in my mouth.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

ewiley posted:

Musing in the Trump thread on a Saturday:

What if I was a teen now, being the poo poo head teen I was back then, would I be a MAGA chud? The thought gives me shivers, but I was a teen during the Clinton administration and was fed a steady diet of Catholic school and the Washington Times. Good lord.

I’m not sure they compare. The world was very different then. Pre-weaponized Internet, pre-9/11, less lovely economy, higher standards on politicians in theory.

Remember how folks like RATM tried to tell us Bush & Gore were the same?

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

ewiley posted:

"Why don't you guys thank me for how woke I am." It doesn't work that way. You shouldn't get praise for doing the right thing, it should be the default. If people mistrust you for being a white dude, make your actions speak louder than your words or posts on dead forums.

Oh come on now. Accusing anyone who acknowledge their privilege of humblebragging is exactly the kind of woke Olympics you are complaining against.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

corn in the bible posted:

Donna Brazile claims that the TRUMP DUCKS HIS TAXES DUCK was Hillary's idea and everyone thought it was idiotic but refused to tell Clinton

Have you ever noticed that nothing is ever Donna Brazile's fault?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I wasn’t trying to humble brag. My point was that I see a lot of white people get defensive when they are flat out told they can’t be trusted. It’s something I have an emotional reaction to as well, and I think that reflecting on that can be useful to understand my own privilege.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Brony Car posted:

remember when donna brazile did a photo op with david "i dehydrate teenage prisoners to death" clarke

full on defection to the persians there

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like, at least own the things you say instead of pretending that you are the solom speaker speaking passively for republicans. Say that you don't think food riots are a big deal, instead of claiming you have some imaginary republican in your head that tells us to tell you that.

cat tax:

I'm not a Republican. I believe in the following:

-Some form of UBI system guaranteeing every citizen the basic necessities of life, regardless of their employment status.
-Serious steps to combat climate change, like fundamentally altering our entire energy and transport energy system.
-Repealing the 2nd amendment.
-Open immigration as long as it helps the economy.
-Reforming the justice system and lowering the penalties on drug use.
-Steps taken to help the disenfranchisement of women and minorities.
-Other liberal opinions

With that being said, I don't think capitalism needs to be abandoned. So that puts me in conflict with some people here I guess.

selec
Sep 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

The Super-Id posted:

I wasn’t trying to humble brag. My point was that I see a lot of white people get defensive when they are flat out told they can’t be trusted. It’s something I have an emotional reaction to as well, and I think that reflecting on that can be useful to understand my own privilege.

Treat this bit like a parable; rap music is your whiteness, as a component of your own personal identity and sense of self:

https://youtu.be/bWvi9dfB4jU

selec fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 26, 2019

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think I'd be willing to trade the wall for these things but I agree in the abstract that this should be the negotiation floor.

Exactly, it needs to be something specifically pro immigrant that helps undocumented immigrants, those things are great in a vacuum but the wall is specifically a racism monument and any "concessions" for it need to counter racism much more strongly than the wall would promote it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Brony Car posted:

I blame Delores

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crow Jane posted:

He suuuuucccckkkks

Better than Trump, though, I guess. Ugh.

At this point it is more impressive if the Republicans could field someone even worse then Trump which is mildly ironic considering that they may have managed to do just that with Pence.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

You know, as a white guy I sometimes feel hurt by all the mistrust and the bad rep we get because I try to live my life mindful of my privilege and act in a way that helps everyone around me, then I think for half a second and realize that that discomfort I feel is not 1/100th of what women and people of color face pretty much every day.

I get the instinct to jump to the defense of white people, because sometimes I feel it when it’s pointed out that a black person can’t trust us. But then I stop myself and think that white people don’t need defended even if the generalizations made about them don’t apply to every single white person. Keeping my mouth shut and feeling what it’s like to be mistrusted and stereotyped is one of the things I can do to resist my own privilege.

I hope a day is coming when white people, and especially white men can be trusted again but I agree that it’s not today. Anyway, I hope I didn’t stick my foot in my mouth.

What.

What.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 26, 2019

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Aramis posted:

Oh come on now. Accusing anyone who acknowledge their privilege of humblebragging is exactly the kind of woke Olympics you are complaining against.

Ok, I misread the original statement, I apologize to super-id. But still I take the stance that--as a white guy--I can't immediately say 'well ackshually' when someone mistrusts white people because there's a lot there. Lots of minorities have to deal with microaggressions daily and are expected to deal silently and white people complaining about it is just lol sometimes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brony Car posted:

I do agree that her whole thing is pretending she had no power but that 'Donald DUCKS his taxes' thing is 100% something Clinton probably thought was hilarious and I wouldn't be shocked if it was her idea.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Imagining Hillary laughing and clapping as she sees a dude in a duck suit run around the back of a rally, thinking this surely will own Trump

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ewiley posted:

Ok, I misread the original statement, I apologize to super-id. But still I take the stance that--as a white guy--I can't immediately say 'well ackshually' when someone mistrusts white people because there's a lot there. Lots of minorities have to deal with microaggressions daily and are expected to deal silently and white people complaining about it is just lol sometimes.

I feel like I’m being misunderstood a bit. Maybe I spoke poorly. This is basically what I was trying to say.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Larry Hogan running in 2020 could be nightmarish. Be wary of him.

He’s good at presenting as a reasonable politician, he can do the sort of cuts that gently caress up infrastructure decades down the line (the cuts to bridge tolls is gonna gently caress Maryland in our lifetimes), and he can quietly oppose anything left of Bush era policy.

Hogan is what everyone characterizes half the Democratic field to be.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the level of loving conflict that will never matter and never result in recusal is unbelievable

https://twitter.com/EricColumbus/status/1089238162252148741

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm just a white man who's intentions are good, oh lord let me wade into this debate

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Your Boy Fancy posted:

He’s good at presenting as a reasonable politician, he can do the sort of cuts that gently caress up infrastructure decades down the line (the cuts to bridge tolls is gonna gently caress Maryland in our lifetimes), and he can quietly oppose anything left of Bush era policy.

isn't hogan, by republican standards, so liberal that trump will just call him a pussy who loves amnesty one thousand times

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
As an outsider looking in I just hope virtually any Democrat wins with a congressional majority.

My opinion on politicians with some less than stellar records is that maybe they can be hammered on it from the left to force them to correct. In some cases, maybe it lets them have certain advantages? "Only Nixon could go to China", maybe only Harris can reform the criminal justice system? It's nice to hope for, but surely even in the worst case scenario she would still be better than an actual white supremacist no?

To me it seems like what we really want is to hope for someone who has the knowledge and determination to make the decisions necessary to prevent a permanent right wing minority rule by the Republicans. That seems like a much more difficult question to answer and I'm not sure why people are figuratively knifing each other over the particulars of candidates before primary season officially begins.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I don't see any outcomes for 2020 other than Democrats win or Trump is reelected, if Trump decided to run again. If Trump is in such a weak position as to get primaried out, no way the GOP retains the White House.

Even if he decided just not to run again, or resigned before the end of his term, a modest decline in GOP turnout combined with the generally negative sentiment the party's gotten during the Century of Trump will be disastrous.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm just a white man who's intentions are good, oh lord let me wade into this debate

It's the only place we belong! :v:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

To me it seems like what we really want is to hope for someone who has the knowledge and determination to make the decisions necessary to prevent a permanent right wing minority rule by the Republicans. That seems like a much more difficult question to answer and I'm not sure why people are figuratively knifing each other over the particulars of candidates before primary season officially begins.

Also this.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

If you ever find yourself saying "as a white/straight guy" (or hell even just "as a guy") you're probably doing something wrong

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

KillHour posted:

Looks like NY is on the edge of legalization. I'm sure Cuomo will find the dumbest way possible to gently caress it up (Like his proposed plan of allowing individual counties to opt out).

https://www.amny.com/news/marijuana-legalization-new-york-1.23933469

I also like how NYC politicians are already falling over themselves to earmark the state tax revenue for NYC-only things. This is why the rest of the state hates you.

Are you trying to characterize NY state as otherwise being particularly sensitive to the needs of New York City? Contrary to what Western Upstate Republicans love complaining about in their commercials, downstate generates the majority of state tax revenue (with New York City generating 56% of it). Western and Upstate get way more state spending than they ever generate in taxes. The share of state expenditures that NYC gets its less than its share of the state's population.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Your Boy Fancy posted:

He's not going to win the primary and he'd do worse than Trump in a general election.

A spoiler run to soak up independent :decorum: voters might be a problem.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Saagonsa posted:

If you ever find yourself saying "as a white/straight guy" (or hell even just "as a guy") you're probably doing something wrong

As a white (mostly) straight guy, I am aware of my privilege in life and try to do my best to support those who fight for equality.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Koalas March posted:

Bernie Sanders and Keith Ellison.

Edit not basing this on who could win, just who I'd like to vote for.

I'd vote for that. Honestly, though, any Democrat has by support except for Biden (though I have a feeling he's going to be the nominee, just based on name recognition AND sucking up all the centrist votes while the progressive vote gets divided 8 ways) or Gabbard (her homophobia and wretched foreign policy aren't forgivable, especially from someone born the same year I was).

Followed by Polis/Buttigieg 2028!

2 boring, white gay men. By that point hopefully we'll have achieved enough that they can keep the system running smoothly. And based on generational turnings, by that point we'll be tired and really in the mood for boring people in public office.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The Super-Id posted:

Whitefragility.txt

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

For as much poo poo as super-id is taking for that post, I think "white dude publicly comes to terms with his reflexive indignance and fragility" doesn't look so tired out on a day when someone used the term "nominally nonwhite" to refer to a black candidate they don't like.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

As a white straight guy, I am aware of my privilege in life and try to do my best to support those who fight for equality.

But actually saying that sentence during any conversation it would be relevant in would just be you making the topic about yourself!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think I'd be willing to trade the wall for these things but I agree in the abstract that this should be the negotiation floor.

Why is that? I would take any of these for the wall, tbh, mostly because the wall is meaningless garbage while something like min wage increase would be really hard to push through chud senate.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The thing is, Biden flavor dems are very used to their stances being taken as matter of fact truth, and they've been cruising on that for many years. The newer class of dems are actually centered on a Justice For All platform, not a middling "access" to medical care half measures. All of the old guard are imminently detestable because as soon as you take away their "we're the best good guys" narrative suddenly they're just standing there in the spotlight as ideologically spineless republicans.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

Fun Shoe

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

For as much poo poo as super-id is taking for that post, I think "white dude publicly comes to terms with his reflexive indignance and fragility" doesn't look so tired out on a day when someone used the term "nominally nonwhite" to refer to a black candidate they don't like.

One can come to terms with something without publicly shouting about it simply to jibe others? Perhaps?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

Kotex’s posts were what prompted me.

E: anyway I don’t want this to be about me so I will go away for a while now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone have a link to what is actually funded? Specifically TANF and SNAP?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

It's almost like white fragility is part of the spectrum of racism. When someone posts about white people, loving deal with it like you aren't in a place of power to change it. Cause there isn't a single PoC that doesn't have to deal with that poo poo every loving day.

:thunk:

Being self aware is great, wanting a cookie for it is loving hilarious and sad.

Vile Pilot
Jan 19, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think the democrats could get medicare for all in exchange for the wall? I honestly think something like that would be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This would seem to be a great counter to the ‘build a wall to eliminate drugs’ contingent.

https://twitter.com/dmvblacklives/status/1089232168293990404?s=21