Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

http://battlebrothersgame.com/something-stirs-in-the-north/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

:f5:

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

There’s nothing like having your 5 man band take out 4 orc young on day 7; then being king poo poo because one of your front liners has an orc cleaver. He turns bandit thugs into mulch.

My ambition is to turn him into a cleaver plate duelist eventually.

Iron lungs too?

[Edit] :f5:

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 25, 2019

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vikings? More variety in human enemies sounds real good

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here's hoping for both new enemy types and a new endgame crisis.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
i'm gonna guess ship battles and piracy/raiding

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Hail Davkul?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Unhold have learned to use axes.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Wizard Styles posted:

Hail Davkul?

Davkul is new, the northerners will be disciples of Nyarlathotep or something.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Fingers crossed for sea raiders / vikings. I already think human foes have the most gameplay variety, I also think there's room for more in that area. Right now it's pretty much two tiers of raiders, nobles and mercs. I'm hoping for something that puts a little more variety in the day 40-80 range when you're not quite suited for Unholds, Alps and lategame orc and and undead squads but tear through raider squads.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Maybe we can get more cool weapons with human opponents. Or trinkets connected to the old powers.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
A new unique Noble faction could be cool, maybe the units you recruit up there have got a completely unique set of perks to choose from considering they are so isolated and different. Maybe we could finally get Battle Sisters.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Give me my shieldmaidens

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I call it as bands of roving Wild men, with maybe some connection to the wild, remember during the development of the expansion they mentioned there would be bands of roving wild men in the north.

I would love Norse or equivalent as well so no possible losing here.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hell yeah more content

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Iron lungs too?

[Edit]

:f5:

Absolutely.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Man with crossbow has infiltrated my company and claimed another victim.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I hate the whole announcements of announcements thing but god damnit I'm :f5:ing with the rest of you

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
I think there is a lot of room for more human enemies. Rogue merc bands would be a cool alternative to bandits for instance.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, if we get norse/kislevite raiders I'm quitting the regular outfit and modding a northmen game instead

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Can I just say: gently caress Hexes. gently caress them all; that is the most unfun poo poo ever. Does anyone know how much resolve I need to be targeting for my guys to make sure they can't easily get mind controlled?

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

The Lord Bude posted:

Can I just say: gently caress Hexes. gently caress them all; that is the most unfun poo poo ever. Does anyone know how much resolve I need to be targeting for my guys to make sure they can't easily get mind controlled?

It is a bother yea. Clubs equipped and hope they don't change to the polearm i have for the unholds and other nasties they bring along. Always gets ugly. I'll admit i usually avoid them.

I have more trouble with the new alps though. To actually win a fight against 11 of them I had to break my own rules and savescum like 10 times. Only way i could find to beat them reliably was to undress all my guys, equip them with spears, daggers and pikes, and be real thoughtful about tho hit what. One misstep and the bastard shades fondled a brother with no chance to miss. Man that was a slow fight.

[EDIT] Dunno what resolve gets you down to 5% chance, but even my 70+ guys get charmed quite often

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I dont liek the alps because the fights take so long.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Anyone tried mods now that people have them working?

Skip Intro Battle and Big World (doubles map size, doubles the number of noble houses on the map, and adds 50% more towns) sound cool. I hope people come up with an easy way for users to tweak the map generator.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

grrarg posted:

Anyone tried mods now that people have them working?

Skip Intro Battle and Big World (doubles map size, doubles the number of noble houses on the map, and adds 50% more towns) sound cool. I hope people come up with an easy way for users to tweak the map generator.

Those both sound awesome, though I'm guessing doubling the map size without changing anything else is going to have unforeseen consequences

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to reccomend against BigWorld. It's rather glitchy

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ive changed Nimble to effecting both hitpoints and armor but removed the free 15 points of fatigue and Im really liking the change

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

It is a bother yea. Clubs equipped and hope they don't change to the polearm i have for the unholds and other nasties they bring along. Always gets ugly. I'll admit i usually avoid them.

I have more trouble with the new alps though. To actually win a fight against 11 of them I had to break my own rules and savescum like 10 times. Only way i could find to beat them reliably was to undress all my guys, equip them with spears, daggers and pikes, and be real thoughtful about tho hit what. One misstep and the bastard shades fondled a brother with no chance to miss. Man that was a slow fight.

[EDIT] Dunno what resolve gets you down to 5% chance, but even my 70+ guys get charmed quite often

Haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Alps yet. I used to think ~50 resolve + a good sergeant was fine, but now I think it's not enough. I suspect I'm going to end up taking fortified mind on everyone.

What's the final verdict on nimble now? still just for archers and light duelists? What about putting a sergeant or a back row polearm dude in light armor and giving them nimble?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't think Hexen are common enough to bother with Resolve beyond the usual 50-55 range just for them.

The Lord Bude posted:

What's the final verdict on nimble now? still just for archers and light duelists? What about putting a sergeant or a back row polearm dude in light armor and giving them nimble?
Nimble is good on any backline bro, archer or polearm bro.

I also like some Nimble on the frontline because they can absorb a hit or two from Berserkers, Warlords and Hedge Knights when somebody absolutely has to tank those for a turn.
Having some Nimble mixed in among your Battle Forged bros also means you can keep repair times down a little more. Even if those Nimble bros are just random Cripples or Disloyal Ratcatchers that only feature in easy Brigand or Wiedergänger fights and sit out the tougher ones.

If you're in for a long run Nimble + Battle Forged works. I got decent results out of the combination when I had it on a bro with pretty average unique armor and a regular Barbute Helmet. Without uniques your best loadout is probably Barbute + Noble Mail, which you often won't have before the first crisis, so it's really only worth considering if you intend to play on for that long.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

I don't think Hexen are common enough to bother with Resolve beyond the usual 50-55 range just for them.

I also like some Nimble on the frontline because they can absorb a hit or two from Berserkers, Warlords and Hedge Knights when somebody absolutely has to tank those for a turn.
Having some Nimble mixed in among your Battle Forged bros also means you can keep repair times down a little more. Even if those Nimble bros are just random Cripples or Disloyal Ratcatchers that only feature in easy Brigand or Wiedergänger fights and sit out the tougher ones.

If you're in for a long run Nimble + Battle Forged works. I got decent results out of the combination when I had it on a bro with pretty average unique armor and a regular Barbute Helmet. Without uniques your best loadout is probably Barbute + Noble Mail, which you often won't have before the first crisis, so it's really only worth considering if you intend to play on for that long.

I support these findings. If I get a bro that has stars in MD, RD and HP, with rather crap fatigue, which I've had on several occasions, they would be rather useless before the change. Now not so much, since a pure shield tank build has quite a few perks to spare. Colossus, Nimble and Battle Forged, with 100+ HP, perhaps with the tiny trait, makes for a great tank. I have a few of these, and they do late game fights very well, taunting, shield bashing and being a general nuisance. Not much repair, and I usually only build it of cheap backgrounds, so great rank fillers for little money. It's also not that horrible if they die, as I can easily build more :v:

I've begun to make sport of seeing what I can make out of bro's that seem like crap, and sometimes they become useful in some fashion. Especially the cheap ones content to sit out fights.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So are you saying that a dude with medium weight armor; Battleforged and nimble is better than a straight battleforged/plate dude, or that it's just an option for salvaging bros that are good except in the area of fatigue? I tend to save scum my hires and only hire the very best of the best to begin with.

also; really good seed: https://bb.frukso.se/seed/ZIICTKKBZH/

Is colossus + Nimble enough on it's own for melee/polearm guys; or do you need other defensive perks like dodge or steel brow?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 27, 2019

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Wizard Styles posted:

As Wiz says Nimble is an amazing company management tool and allows otherwise questionable bros to be good. It's no longer a broken catch all but it is still good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Also: Does initiative have any benefit other than moving first (and by extension; the overwhelm perk?) I find that I don't really have the spare perks for overwhelm, and I tend to make my archers wait on turn one so that the enemy gets closer - therefore can I just ignore initiative even on archers?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

The Lord Bude posted:

Also: Does initiative have any benefit other than moving first (and by extension; the overwhelm perk?) I find that I don't really have the spare perks for overwhelm, and I tend to make my archers wait on turn one so that the enemy gets closer - therefore can I just ignore initiative even on archers?

It affects Dodge

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gridlocked posted:

It affects Dodge

Ok, so do we still need dodge+anticipation+nimble now that nimble is a flat damage reduction?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Since the expansion I've been running nimble+steel brow on my archers and I haven't missed dodge or anticipation in the slightest.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gobblecoque posted:

Since the expansion I've been running nimble+steel brow on my archers and I haven't missed dodge or anticipation in the slightest.

What gear do these archers have up until you get artifacts, generally speaking?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Pretty much the usual sort of light armor I assume most folks throw on their archers, obviously trying to stay at max 15 fatigue penalty what with nimble. Leather lamellar and sallets are the eventual loadout before unique stuff but sallets are a low-priority purchase so they'll be wearing mail coifs for a long time.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Nimble has replaced Dodge on my archers. I find that Nimble + Anticipation is generally enough on them, although having just Anticipation for a long time means archers with poor starting Ranged Defense live dangerously for a while.

The Lord Bude posted:

So are you saying that a dude with medium weight armor; Battleforged and nimble is better than a straight battleforged/plate dude, or that it's just an option for salvaging bros that are good except in the area of fatigue? I tend to save scum my hires and only hire the very best of the best to begin with.
I never build bros to just tank, so my build is probably highly different from the dedicated tanking bros TheBeardyCleaver mentioned.
The bro I had ended up with 49% Nimble and 81% Battle Forged. That's not really amazing, and his armor wouldn't hold that long (190/-9 Barbute Helmet and 173/-12 unique armor). I'd say ideally you'd want slightly more durable/heavier body armor and a decent unique helmet to stay close to 50% Nimble but take less armor damage.
But even though his gear wasn't ideal it still worked out well because he just didn't have any real weak spots. I don't think it would have been worth it without the unique armor, though.

quote:

Is colossus + Nimble enough on it's own for melee/polearm guys; or do you need other defensive perks like dodge or steel brow?
I give Nimble shield bros Indomitable. Indomitable is a good perk in general and synergizes with their role of tanking big hits for a turn or two.

The only Nimble two-hander I had so far was my Nimble + Battle Forged bro. I'm pretty sure a two-hander with just Nimble would absolutely need something against ranged attacks, so Quick Hands or Anticipation. Maybe even Dodge. (Same for Duelists, but I give all my Duelists Quick Hands.)

I'm not sure about polearm bros. I've found them pretty perk-hungry, not because they absolutely require a lot of perks to work but because there are some perks that make them a lot better, like Adrenaline. On the other hand I've also found that they were often needed to get into melee range and take some hits when the company was getting swamped. Nimble + Colossus is usually good enough for that but usually only takes you so far and I've had two polearm bros die. I think those deaths happened because I misjudged how many attacks they could actually stand up to, but it may be worth considering to give them another defensive perk beyond Nimble, Colossus and Footwork/Rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thanks for the insight. I usually end up with 3 2handers or 2 2handers and a duelist; and 4 1h+ shield guys in the front line, and 2 bowmen, 2 crossbowmen, and a sergeant in the rear. I suspect I'll end up sticking with heavy armor in the front; but I'll consider nimble for the sergeant, and it's good to know I can skip dodge with the archers - that means I can now safely ignore initiative as well