Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think Delita had an ounce of love in his heart for anyone except for Tietra and maybe Ramza. He disposed of Ovelia when she was no longer necessary to him.

This is pretty clearly not true if you look at his reaction to her death. He breaks down basically, asking desperately what Ramza gained from his actions.

Olivia triggered his fight-or-flight reflexes when she tried to stab him. He was a soldier who had been in a lot of battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Pureauthor posted:

Help I started to replay Final Fantasy 9 and now I can't stop playing Chocobo Hot and Cold

I'm not seeing a problem here?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

This is pretty clearly not true if you look at his reaction to her death. He breaks down basically, asking desperately what Ramza gained from his actions.

Olivia triggered his fight-or-flight reflexes when she tried to stab him. He was a soldier who had been in a lot of battles.

Plus the other stuff he said throughout the game.

FFT script posted:

[Delita comforts Ovelia.]
Delita: ...Don't cry like that.
Ovelia: Should I trust you?
Delita: I won't betray you. I swear by my dead sister, Teta...... So, please don't cry...
Again, I don't think he'd lie on the grave of his dead sister.

FFT script posted:

Ramza: Come with me...
Delita: Sorry, I can't. She needs me.
Ramza: She...?
Delita: Prince or Princess... It doesn't matter as long as they are easily controlled. The High Priest's plan calls for a puppet government.
Ramza: You're just using Ovelia for your own ambitions?
Delita: ...I don't know. But...
[Ramza stands up.]
Ramza: But what?
Delita: I would give my life for her...
Ramza: Delita...
Delita: Is that strange?
Ramza: No, I believe you.
Why would he lie here?

Whatever happened in the end, I think Delita did care about and want to protect Ovelia. But once she starts stabbing him the honeymoon is over.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Chocobo Hot and Cold sucks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Frionnel posted:

You are 100% correct

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Schwartzcough posted:

Plus the other stuff he said throughout the game.

Again, I don't think he'd lie on the grave of his dead sister.

Why would he lie here?

Whatever happened in the end, I think Delita did care about and want to protect Ovelia. But once she starts stabbing him the honeymoon is over.

Because he's Char

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's the ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyexhvVnAs

Even after he's been stabbed, he has time to overpower her, take the knife out of her hand, listen to her cry, and THEN kill her. This isn't a sudden "I have to kill her or she'll kill me" reaction, it's a deliberate cold-blooded choice. He's not even remorseful about killing her afterwards, but more sad that he's lost something, like a child with a broken toy.

And it's just thematically appropriate, that Delita becomes exactly what he set out to destroy - an uncaring noble who uses people and disposes of them when he no longer needs them. Just like Argath killed Tietra because she was in the way.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's not like he showed up to kill her. She was actively trying to kill him. He pulled the knife away from her and stabbed her with it. The time for reasonable discourse had passed. I mean sure, he could just taken the knife away and hobbled off, but things had already escalated by that point and she was trying to murder him.

And it's still thematically appropriate. He discovers he can't "beat the manipulators at their own game" and still keep his innocence and trustworthiness. When he's become so cold and deceitful, even the people he actually cares about can't trust him. All that he has left now is the knowledge of what he's become. His ambition cost him the things that were really important to him.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 26, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Frionnel posted:

The music alone makes it one of the best minigames.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Even after he's been stabbed, he has time to overpower her, take the knife out of her hand, listen to her cry, and THEN kill her. This isn't a sudden "I have to kill her or she'll kill me" reaction, it's a deliberate cold-blooded choice. He's not even remorseful about killing her afterwards, but more sad that he's lost something, like a child with a broken toy.

This all happens over the course of like, 30 seconds. If you take into consideration the fact that he collapses from his stab wound about 15 seconds after he kills Ovelia, it's reasonable enough to say that, had he not killed her, she very easily would have been able to finish him off at that point. He overpowered her, but your ability to overpower people declines pretty rapidly after someone stabs you.

He also does seem pretty upset about it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
He should’ve used a Phoenix Down on her.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Barudak posted:

You are 100% correct

I streamed all of final fantasy 9 and everyone who watched yelled at me to stop playing chocobo hot and cold because they hated it.

gently caress them, I did it offstream.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The timed minigame is bad because the hitbox for the treasure is so small so you often spend 10-15 seconds running in circles looking for the perfect spot. Fix that and it'd be a lot more enjoyable.

The overworld version is pretty cool, just poorly balanced out because there's barely anything to find until Disc 3, where you then get bombarded with really good stuff. If they spread it out more through the game it would've been better.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Schwartzcough posted:

It's not like he showed up to kill her. She was actively trying to kill him. He pulled the knife away from her and stabbed her with it. The time for reasonable discourse had passed. I mean sure, he could just taken the knife away and hobbled off, but things had already escalated by that point and she was trying to murder him.

And it's still thematically appropriate. He discovers he can't "beat the manipulators at their own game" and still keep his innocence and trustworthiness. When he's become so cold and deceitful, even the people he actually cares about can't trust him. All that he has left now is the knowledge of what he's become. His ambition cost him the things that were really important to him.

Part of why the stabbing is so tragic is because he realizes that, despite what love he may have had for her, she clearly did not love him back; and in fact, despised him. Whatever illusions he may have had on the matter were dispelled and there was no way back from that.

By virtue of what he'd become, she could never trust him; which meant that he could never trust her. In his mind he had no other choice but to kill her.

It's not, "Moo hoo ha ha, begone thot!"

It's "gently caress, I did this to us!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For chocobo hot and cold, something I've never been able to figure out (which complicates searching for such small spots): does it measure from where the chocobo is standing or where they're pecking?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's the ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyexhvVnAs

And it's just thematically appropriately, that Delita becomes exactly what he set out to destroy - an uncaring noble who uses people and disposes of them when he no longer needs them. Just like Argath killed Tietra because she was in the way.

A million percent this.

FFT really is the best FF even if it has a tragic and sad ending.

Actually the tragic ending makes it even better for me personally because 99.9% of all movies and games have happy endings and FFT sets itself apart with its story and ending and, well, everything else.

I think it might still be my favorite video game of all time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The FF14 version of it makes the ending even more tragic. It fully answers the question of whether they all died or not. Ramza sacrifices his own soul to seal Ultima within Orbonne, and Agrias, Mustadio, and Orlandeau stay behind to guard the monastery for eternity. Just like in FFT their deeds are stricken from the annals of history outside of Orran's writings. On the other hand, FF14 Delita isn't a Machiavellian backstabber, Alma survives and has a family with Orran, and you (the player) eventually defeat Ultima and free them all from their prison. Of course FF14 Ivalice is not the same as FFT Ivalice, that was pretty well established.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Fister Roboto posted:

The FF14 version of it makes the ending even more tragic.

I mean, I guess it's tragic for the cast up until you get involved.

Though to me it feels a bit like they're trying too hard to make Delita seem more conflicted about his choices and not as ruthless as he actually was.

In the classic FFT ending Delita saw what his choices had gotten him. That was his "reward", and he made no apologies or excuses for it. He wondered aloud what Ramza's "reward" for having chosen a different path may have been because, on some level, Delita felt that he deserved what he got for his actions.

In FFXIV it's almost as if the game is trying to justify and vindicate the things he did. There seems to be no visible consequence personal or otherwise to his conquest, and his sudden preoccupation with having his childhood best buddy around seems pretty fickle.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That's because the story in FFXIV is completely different. Delita is just a classic hero who worked together with his best friend to take down a corrupt empire and was made King for his efforts. There's a lot less to it than in FFT because Delita only really exists in two scenes to be sad Ramza is dead.

I wouldn't really call it especially tragic though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It always seemed pretty clear to me that Delita stabs her out of necessity and does not desire this outcome in any way. His pause is him briefly wrestling with whether or not he has to do what he's about to do and then coming to the grim decision that yes, he has to because they're past the point of no return and he actions are his fault.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The XIV Ivalice story sucks and should be ignored.

The raids own, and the game's main story is really good.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I play a lot of FF mods but what is the one thing people here never stop making fun of? It was some character in some FFVII retrranslation that completely replaced Cait Sith with another character. I'm trying to remember the name of the new character.

I don't think the mod was ever even finished or whatever but just the concept and name of the whole thing is pretty hysterical.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Hmm, actually it's good.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Hey final fantasy thread, is there a good plot summary for Crisis Core floating around somewhere? The one on the ff wiki has lots of details but is a slog to read due to poor grammar and some incorrect word usage. I played the game years ago when it came out and don't remember much about plot, especially the increasingly wack-rear end last 1/3rd or so. I don't know why I am even looking into it. Haven't played any video games for years. The last 'new' game I played was MGS 4 on PS3, and even that was around when MGR:R was coming out.

My ignorance of newer games and modern gaming is also why I'm curious about what people think of FFXV. The last FF I played was XII, shortly after its release. I am not really into the idea of playing more games in the series, but I started looking into XV on the wiki and the setting looks pretty cool. The level of detail in the environments, especially inside the towns, seems insane. Do you explore many cities in the game, or is it more that the 'open world' first half of the game is just a big Field where you hunt monsters? The screenshots make the game look massive. If I enjoyed the free-ranging exploration of XII, would you say that XV is like that but with even more detail and expansiveness? Is it otherwise good?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

NikkolasKing posted:

So I play a lot of FF mods but what is the one thing people here never stop making fun of? It was some character in some FFVII retrranslation that completely replaced Cait Sith with another character. I'm trying to remember the name of the new character.

I don't think the mod was ever even finished or whatever but just the concept and name of the whole thing is pretty hysterical.

Iscar Matthias or something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Die Sexmonster! posted:

The raids own, and the game's main story is really good.

The FFXIV ivalice story is the least poo poo most realized story about Ivalice ever made.

It's still bad though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
episode ignis is really drat good holy crap

seems like SE killed FFXV's development just as its team was really starting to get a handle on things

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oxxidation posted:

episode ignis is really drat good holy crap

seems like SE killed FFXV's development just as its team was really starting to get a handle on things

Literally just played through this like 2 days ago and yeah, it was loving great. Granted I love FFXV but each episode was a definitely improvement on the last. Too bad the next episode will be the last.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
worst of all it's episode ardyn

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
could have gotten aranea or at least some more development from luna but no, let's watch the bipedal shonky shop smug it up some more

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hey final fantasy thread, is there a good plot summary for Crisis Core floating around somewhere? The one on the ff wiki has lots of details but is a slog to read due to poor grammar and some incorrect word usage. I played the game years ago when it came out and don't remember much about plot, especially the increasingly wack-rear end last 1/3rd or so. I don't know why I am even looking into it.

I was once trapped in a trailer in the frozen yukon for sixth months with my only source of entertainment being a PSP that had a copy of Crisis Core stuck in the UMD drive. I have played through Crisis Core dozens of times.

I still can't properly summarize the plot for you. All of the parts which weren't also referenced in FF7 have congealed together into a kind of grey, Genesis-filled mental slurry. As far as I recall, Genesis turns a bunch of people into clones of himself because he's angry that he's dying, or something. Angeal is also dying, or something, but is less mad about it, but still quits SOLDIER because Shinra blew up his mom. The Genesis clones gently caress over Shinra, and then get killed. Genesis figures out that he needs some kind of Sephiroth goo to live, but Sephiroth tells him that he can't have any, so he turns into a monster, or something, and then like five years later when Zack is driving to the plot of FF7 he makes a pit stop at genesis' old house and kills him. Angeal also dies at some point, but he gives Zack his big dumb sword first, which inspires Zack to get a haircut. There's also a part where Hojo makes you compete in a squatting competition against his ultimate squatting creation(actually I might be combining two different things in my head here).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

i love seeing ardyn ham it up so i'm pretty excited

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alxprit posted:

Iscar Matthias or something.
this unironically

dude wanted to name Cait Sith something that fit into the setting and decided to go with Totallynotatraitor Jones

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Sorry to be a bit late on this but that ff14 retcon of FFT is loving disgusting. If you think Delita, by the end of the game, is the sort of person who would fall to his knees because he saw ramza's ghost, you probably didn't even play FFT. God that is awful. Holy gently caress that is bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Can it really be a retcon if they’re not the same character and the story is clearly different?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ghost Head posted:

Sorry to be a bit late on this but that ff14 retcon of FFT is loving disgusting. If you think Delita, by the end of the game, is the sort of person who would fall to his knees because he saw ramza's ghost, you probably didn't even play FFT. God that is awful. Holy gently caress that is bad

he literally falls to his knees while thinking about ramza at the end of FFT

admittedly this might have something to do with the stab wound, but still

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ghost Head posted:

but it was written by matsuno himself!!!!

also loving lol at alma's baby with olan with the hamfisted posing on those toons. still i'll view it somewhat forgivingly if that's a pose your player character can learn

cock hero flux posted:

he literally falls to his knees while thinking about ramza at the end of FFT

admittedly this might have something to do with the stab wound, but still

actually he sits down and leans against a wall because he's bleeding out

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 27, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Episode Ardyn is where the lore dump can happen that explains why the world is such that our awesome road trip becomes a pity party so it only follows that it will not be and will be instantly disappointing in that way and we should have just got Aranea being cool.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was it Arenea who becomes a demon hunter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Hey final fantasy thread, is there a good plot summary for Crisis Core floating around somewhere? The one on the ff wiki has lots of details but is a slog to read due to poor grammar and some incorrect word usage. I played the game years ago when it came out and don't remember much about plot, especially the increasingly wack-rear end last 1/3rd or so. I don't know why I am even looking into it. Haven't played any video games for years. The last 'new' game I played was MGS 4 on PS3, and even that was around when MGR:R was coming out.

My ignorance of newer games and modern gaming is also why I'm curious about what people think of FFXV. The last FF I played was XII, shortly after its release. I am not really into the idea of playing more games in the series, but I started looking into XV on the wiki and the setting looks pretty cool. The level of detail in the environments, especially inside the towns, seems insane. Do you explore many cities in the game, or is it more that the 'open world' first half of the game is just a big Field where you hunt monsters? The screenshots make the game look massive. If I enjoyed the free-ranging exploration of XII, would you say that XV is like that but with even more detail and expansiveness? Is it otherwise good?

FFXV has a lot less less variety and details imo. FFXII had variety of locales and places you could visit. FFXV only has few environments. Its very big, open and graphically impressive but its wilderness with very few human settlements. I think you should try it though. Theres something really cool about finding a nice fishing, spot next to a camp, then actually cooking that fish at the end of the day.

Dont play it for the story, just enjoy the small stuff.

Speaking of open world games I started playing Ghost Recon Wildlands a while back and that game has a very impressive and cool fictional version of Bolivia.A collaboration with Ubisoft and SE would be pretty interesting.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 27, 2019