Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I saw only a couple episodes of samurai and Bulks involvement was weird. The rangers would have their plot and there would be a meanwhile plot with Bulk and Skull Jr, but the B plot never intersected with the A plot in any way, had no effect on anything. Just like, Bulk goes to the beach. Does not meet the rangers or run into any monsters, does some pratfalls in the sand unrelated to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

As a fat kid myself, I laughed, but the show as we knew it was super invested in unmasked fighting sequences, what with them picking martial artists and gymnasts first and foremost over halfway decent acting.

I was surprised to find out that only once on Ninja Steel did they let the Pink Ranger's actress do her own fighting stunts. I thought it was more common for them to do their own stuff, but maybe that's changed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Craptacular! posted:

I remember when TV Guide did a cover for season 2, and the next week the letters column had a letter from a lady angry that they fat-shame Bulk and saying they needed to make him a ranger to make things right.

That is a part of why I liked Bulk and Skull way more in Season 3 and on than the first seasons. I think even the crew behind the scenes knew that you could only stretch “Bulk is fat, he split his pants or spilled a smoothie on someone!” so far

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There were some episodes where he wasn't even in it, and then at the end the rangers are goofing around and a cake goes flying, he just walks in the door, cake hits him, everyone laughs, end credits.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bulk and Skull deserved to become power rangers

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Sea Lily posted:

Bulk and Skull deserved to become power rangers

Their actors' convention panels on youtube are worth watching - they still have amazing chemistry.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MechaX posted:

That is a part of why I liked Bulk and Skull way more in Season 3 and on than the first seasons. I think even the crew behind the scenes knew that you could only stretch “Bulk is fat, he split his pants or spilled a smoothie on someone!” so far

I can't find it anymore, but there was a video at PMC or some other con where a guy recorded his little kid interviewing various actors. The kid asked Paulie, "why did you fall down so much?" and he said "well you see, when a young man is overweight, producers think it's hilarious for him to lose balance and fall over."

It was just the right amount of shade. I don't think anyone who acted on the show in the first few years was really happy with the crew in charge of it, except maybe I guess JDF.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 26, 2019

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where are the Bulk and Skull ranger keys.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I remember watching / listening to the guy who played Bulk saying that, ups and downs regardless, Bulk and Skull should always be separate from the Power Rangers proper. Something about the two being outsiders being intrinsic to their characters and how they behave.

Their scene(s) in Countdown are as close as they get, which I'm OK with. Like, c'mon, Skull throwing a goddamned Quantron off Ashley into a wall was awesome.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That scene in the last Car Boys was good to. Defending themselves against the monster and then instead of using a wish, flagging the megazord

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Paul Schrier is very good as Hyperforce Yellow, though, even though he's a very different character from Bulk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Caphi posted:

Paul Schrier is very good as Hyperforce Yellow, though, even though he's a very different character from Bulk.

Yeah, I don't know if he'd ever done an RPG before but he took to it like a duck to water. And, sure, a large part of it is he's a talented actor but it's still basically extended improv with five other people plus a rotating guest he probably didn't know very well (exceptions like JDF aside).

Almost all of them had their moments. I especially liked how Christina Vee played the fact she was now programmed to take down the other Rangers by the Venjix Virus to the hilt. Girl was stone cold.

Factoid Everybody Probably Knew But Me: Apparently Ciara Hanna was supposed to play Vesper originally but couldn't make it since she was off filming in another state. That' s a shame. She always seemed fun and charismatic, but was stuck in Megaforce so rarely got to show it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/jackieyo/status/1089605331825520640?s=19

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is it really shipping when it's specifically a relationship in the show already?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SpazmasterX posted:

Is it really shipping when it's specifically a relationship in the show already?

Yes you can ship Canon Pairings

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jan/Rio OTP fight me

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Jan/Rio OTP fight me

I am forever kinda sad about the ending of Gekiranger. Mele was supposed to be GekiGreen and Rio was supposed to be GekiBlack :cry:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Morby posted:

I am forever kinda sad about the ending of Gekiranger. Mele was supposed to be GekiGreen and Rio was supposed to be GekiBlack :cry:

They're proper Gekirangers in my heart. And hey, they're proper Rangers enough to get Ranger Keys.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

They're proper Gekirangers in my heart. And hey, they're proper Rangers enough to get Ranger Keys.

They've got similar suits that they transform into (though in Mele's case technically the human form is her disguise) and they've got their own Zords, that's close enough for me.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

It's no Dragonball FighterZ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0oyW6rWiVw

...and I'll still probably wind up buying it. :negative:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you think about it there's a Power Ranger in Super Smash Bros, who was directly given a coin by Tommy no less

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtOf6cwB6Pf/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1r47dmdwzrnta

Doggie Kruger and Daggeron are in the new Hobbs F&F spinoff

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Nearly 50 episodes of Lupato, and the Lupinrangers were only just outted. Jesus. This whole thing in 49 where Kairi and Keiichiro have an open, manly heart-to-heart should have happened ages ago.

If Ryusolger can't figure out how to resolve their plot points in a well-paced manner, maybe Sentai deserves a decade-long break to regroup.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On the other hand, I kinda like that the teams were kept separate this long, at least in theory. I was assuming that the two teams would be integrated into one 6-Man team by like...episode 12 or so, and was pleasantly surprised they kept the Cops vs Robbers dynamic around as long as they did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

jivjov posted:

On the other hand, I kinda like that the teams were kept separate this long, at least in theory. I was assuming that the two teams would be integrated into one 6-Man team by like...episode 12 or so, and was pleasantly surprised they kept the Cops vs Robbers dynamic around as long as they did.

Except they barely did anything interesting with it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nearly 50 episodes of Lupato, and the Lupinrangers were only just outted. Jesus. This whole thing in 49 where Kairi and Keiichiro have an open, manly heart-to-heart should have happened ages ago.

If Ryusolger can't figure out how to resolve their plot points in a well-paced manner, maybe Sentai deserves a decade-long break to regroup.

As long as Power Rangers exists that is never going to happen

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

As long as Power Rangers exists that is never going to happen

Except that the leak that was right about literally everything else and included images that we hadn't even seen yet said that Toei is very much willing to stop Sentai because it's failing to sell.

And considering how much Ryusoulger screams desperation, it's blatantly obvious what situation it is in. Sad, but the brand has been very badly handled in the last few years so it isn't surprising and may genuinely be for the best.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

If they run out of footage they will just swap over to POWER RIDER and cgi in some awful looking not-zords so you can make even more toys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Power Rangers is starting off on the very first of several seasons of banked shows that they didn't adapt for one reason or another. There should also be plenty of footage of a couple seasons they didn't use because Megaforce was such a rushed mess, and I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to simple use more footage of already-used suits with new actors getting them.

There is absolutely time to kill.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Except that the leak that was right about literally everything else and included images that we hadn't even seen yet said that Toei is very much willing to stop Sentai because it's failing to sell.

And considering how much Ryusoulger screams desperation, it's blatantly obvious what situation it is in. Sad, but the brand has been very badly handled in the last few years so it isn't surprising and may genuinely be for the best.

I figure it's more likely that if Ryusoulger doesn't do well that they'll just go super low budget on the franchise for a while and minimize the merchandising in Japan and focus on the income they get from licensing it to Hasbro for Power Rangers, cause that's a fairly sizable amount of free income they'd be losing out on if they just outright canned Super Sentai

Zedd posted:

If they run out of footage they will just swap over to POWER RIDER and cgi in some awful looking not-zords so you can make even more toys.

That's the kind of plan that would take a couple years to get off the ground, though I wouldn't be surprised of they do try again with Kamen Rider here in the states relatively soon

Craptacular! posted:

Power Rangers is starting off on the very first of several seasons of banked shows that they didn't adapt for one reason or another. There should also be plenty of footage of a couple seasons they didn't use because Megaforce was such a rushed mess, and I wouldn't put it past Hasbro to simple use more footage of already-used suits with new actors getting them.

There is absolutely time to kill.

Sure they've got Go-Busters and Kyuranger to adapt, but I highly doubt they'll touch any of the other seasons currently unadapted, so while they've got about 4 to 6 years worth of stuff to do(assuming they stick with Nickelodeon like idiots), but it's still an issue

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

drrockso20 posted:

Sure they've got Go-Busters and Kyuranger to adapt, but I highly doubt they'll touch any of the other seasons currently unadapted, so while they've got about 4 to 6 years worth of stuff to do(assuming they stick with Nickelodeon like idiots), but it's still an issue

I think you're selling short the people who made Transformers a successful toy line if you think some dumb-looking robots can nix a whole season. They do on Saban's budget and lack of vision, sure.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

drrockso20 posted:

That's the kind of plan that would take a couple years to get off the ground, though I wouldn't be surprised of they do try again with Kamen Rider here in the states relatively soon

I'm not saying I want Saban to do it, but Saban already has experience with putting sketchy localizations directly to Netflix with Precure -> Glitter Force.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

drrockso20 posted:

I'm surprised it hasn't been re-tried yet tbh, kids love superheroes and Iron-Man and that's basically what Rider footage looks like: Iron-Man / Superhero Power Rangers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Saban's Beetle Force

Based off TOEI's Kamen Rider Kabuto

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Hasbro can start with Go-Buster, I feel they can scrap the top of the barrel with the Trains to keep things going while Sentai takes a rest.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is basing your newest show off a hyper popular premise really that desperate? Has there been any other premise that managed to gain a sequel besides dinosaurs?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

MadScientistWorking posted:

Is basing your newest show off a hyper popular premise really that desperate? Has there been any other premise that managed to gain a sequel besides dinosaurs?

Ninjas.

It's less dinosaurs and more the fact that it's dinosaurs again so soon.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mishandled or not, if the franchise is in trouble, it'd be even more irresponsible to go with a premise that's untested. Do people want the situation fixed, or do they want things to just get worse?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
They should really just do the video game Sentai, and make one of the movies an Ex-Aid crossover since that cast seems to have no problem showing up for anything.

Introduce the mechs separately and then red, the game otaku, realizes that they fit together in a Brand-X nod to the SEGA Tower of Power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
We've had two series in a row basically change up the formula majorly with an extended and then divided team and they ended up not great. Now they're changing up staff while going back to a more typical formula as the new lead director is new to toku. If changing up the staff doesn't work, breaking the fundamental rules of sentai is the only thing left and they'd probably go into hiatus before that