Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Let me guess, this timely reference is from the newest episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mxFxLQufVXU

This might be one of the all time lows imo

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

Frog Act posted:

I know. You can't pump a double barrel shotgun! I certainly hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

This joke is flawless, it's quick, it's clever, hilarious if you know the reference and completely invisible if you don't. I miss 30 Rock.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I know. You can't pump a double barrel shotgun! I certainly hope someone got fired for that blunder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueDjiAm5rzE&t=42s

Even good shows do it sometimes lol

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I know. You can't pump a double barrel shotgun!

Maybe you can't.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Frog Act posted:

Gotta admit, I laughed at the lasagna. Once you accept the nonsensical premise, it isn't a badly written bit.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Iron Crowned posted:

Let me guess, this timely reference is from the newest episode?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Frog Act posted:

I didn’t think this was too bad. Not great but a few things got a chuckle.:shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Planet of the Apes play was such a great bit in terms of execution. You have a washed-up actor character to throw into it without doing late-Simpsons crap like "It's a Blue Harvest-style dream sequence where everyone's a character reference!" or something. It's a send-up of cheesy movie-to-theater plays that were going on at the time that stands on its own even if you don't get the parody part. It doesn't rely on clunky-sounding copyright-safe music. Bart and Homer think it's great but the show still knows to mock them a bit as slobs. And it's just got funny bits in songs that sound like they came from bad theater.

It probably more than heavily inspired the really good "King and I" episode from Family Guy, too. Every once in a while I get the "Anna Rules" song stuck in my head even though I probably haven't seen the entire episode in over a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w-MZIstnuc&t=87s

The Bible
May 8, 2010

So... Marge and Homer have now canonically murdered people?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Plan Z posted:

The Planet of the Apes play was such a great bit in terms of execution. You have a washed-up actor character to throw into it without doing late-Simpsons crap like "It's a Blue Harvest-style dream sequence where everyone's a character reference!" or something. It's a send-up of cheesy movie-to-theater plays that were going on at the time that stands on its own even if you don't get the parody part. It doesn't rely on clunky-sounding copyright-safe music. Bart and Homer think it's great but the show still knows to mock them a bit as slobs. And it's just got funny bits in songs that sound like they came from bad theater.

It probably more than heavily inspired the really good "King and I" episode from Family Guy, too. Every once in a while I get the "Anna Rules" song stuck in my head even though I probably haven't seen the entire episode in over a decade.

Wow Lois sounds much better with that accent

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Lol of course I forgot about Dr. Zaius, that is a masterwork

I guess I’m talking more about stuff like Drawn Together :yikes:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
I never found Dr zaius good at all

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Bible posted:

So... Marge and Homer have now canonically murdered people?

It's from a Halloween episode. No, I don't know how a Mr. and Mrs. Smith parody counts as a Halloween story.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Maybe I just hate the new treehouse episodes cuz I was coming in here to post “the fat in the hat” which is just bad, and the one where they’re in a circus, which is confusingly out of tone

They’re in the season 25 treehouse of horror

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wow Lois sounds much better with that accent

Didn't realize it until now but it works that she's doing kind of a Kathryn Hepburn when she's supposed come from New England money.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Mantis42 posted:

It's from a Halloween episode. No, I don't know how a Mr. and Mrs. Smith parody counts as a Halloween story.

The halloween episodes stopped being about halloween and just became movie parodies from then on basically, season 19 onwards they just because movies, movies, movies.

Probably because they realised that they were so out of ideas for regular episodes that going off into stupid halloween style non sequiturs is all they had left. For example, the episode where sideshow bob genetically engineered himself to be able to hop like a grass hopper and have gills to breathe under water. That wasn't a halloween episode, that's cannon. Or the episode where the family got abducted by aliens and homer's rear end killed the queen of the aliens when she tried to eat it. Not a halloween episode. Or the episode where bart's sneezed in a time capsule and it mutated with a lucky rabbit's foot also in the capsule to cause mutant bart bunny gremlins to cause havoc 3000+ years in the future so the cast of futurama had to time travel back to stop it. That one shouldn't have even just been a halloween episode that should just have not happened.

So yah, halloween episodes are just movie parodies now because all the stupid ideas they used to go "ha, we'll futz around withit for 5 minutes this october because it's not really the simpsons material" are now the show.

Though I guess halloween's basically just been people dressing up as their favourite movie character for the past 20 years or so anyway...

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/zdTZnzGe4OA

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

e: I presume they did this scene at some point but I only made it 40 seconds

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

spaceblancmange posted:

e: I presume they did this scene at some point but I only made it 40 seconds

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

Gotta admit, I laughed at the lasagna. Once you accept the nonsensical premise, it isn't a badly written bit.
The scene it's parodying is much funnier than the actual parody though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Plan Z posted:

I'm like 99% sure that FG episode came out waaaay after.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

I'm like 99% sure that FG episode came out waaaay after.

Yeah, 1996 vs 2000, which is why he said the Simpsons bit influenced the creation of the Family Guy bit and not vice versa :confused:

emgeejay fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 27, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

emgeejay posted:

Yeah, 1996 vs 2004, which is why he said the Simpsons bit influenced the creation of the Family Guy bit and not vice versa :confused:

There's no way that came out in 2004 cuz it was in the original run.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

emgeejay posted:

Yeah, 1996 vs 2004, which is why he said the Simpsons bit influenced the creation of the Family Guy bit and not vice versa :confused:

Argh, read your post as "inspired by" for some reason.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's no way that came out in 2004 cuz it was in the original run.
sorry, typo: 2000. I mentally added the four-year gap to the actual year and hope I got fired for that blunder

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Argh, read your post as "inspired by" for some reason.

Yeah, I figured.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

Or the episode where bart's sneezed in a time capsule and it mutated with a lucky rabbit's foot also in the capsule to cause mutant bart bunny gremlins to cause havoc 3000+ years in the future so the cast of futurama had to time travel back to stop it. That one shouldn't have even just been a halloween episode that should just have not happened.

that episode also had kang and kodos in it and iirc they have, other than that episode, only appeared in treehouse of horror episodes so i'd say the futurama crossover is also non-canon.

(well, i have no loving clue what happens after season like 18 or so, maybe by now the aliens are the simpsons' other next-door neighbors)

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
pretty sure they have and it;s ruined canon

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Sagebrush posted:

that episode also had kang and kodos in it and iirc they have, other than that episode, only appeared in treehouse of horror episodes so i'd say the futurama crossover is also non-canon.

(well, i have no loving clue what happens after season like 18 or so, maybe by now the aliens are the simpsons' other next-door neighbors)

Tree Goat posted:

we must also remember that kang and kodos are canon members of the cast now, beyond thoh eps, because in a season 26 episode the simpson family goes on a disguised ride in "diz nee land" to rigel vii to be eaten, but homer's butt is so toxic that the alien queen dies from eating it and they are sent back to earth.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i forgot to mention when i watched $pringfield, there was a parody of sigfried and roy and they were mauled by lions. eerily accurate prediction or just a matter of time?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

i forgot to mention when i watched $pringfield, there was a parody of sigfried and roy and they were mauled by lions. eerily accurate prediction or just a matter of time?

:catstare: "I should send you to St. Louis!" is one of the best lines in the entire series

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I remember them showing up in the story segment of some clip show episode in season 16 or so also

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

They appeared in the Family Guy crossover.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Last Chance posted:

eerily accurate prediction or just a matter of time?
If you had a stage act that involved several large wild animals performing against a bunch of unpredictable poo poo, pretty sure it'd just be a matter of time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding of the situation of the s26 episode was that it was an idea for a Simpsons Movie sequel but they said gently caress it and just turned it into an episode.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

pooch516 posted:

I remember them showing up in the story segment of some clip show episode in season 16 or so also

The episode where there's a roast for Homer, yeah. I've definitely seen that one, and it's as canon as any clipshow.

I had no idea what a celebrity roast was before the episode and have never bothered watching a real one.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Brofessor Slayton posted:

The episode where there's a roast for Homer, yeah. I've definitely seen that one, and it's as canon as any clipshow.

I had no idea what a celebrity roast was before the episode and have never bothered watching a real one.

look up the roast of charlie sheen uncensored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Mantis42 posted:

They appeared in the Family Guy crossover.

the Family Guy crossover is a Family Guy episode so it's Family Guy canon not Simpsons canon