Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Your Computer posted:

it's not handheld, thus it's not even worth considering

I want to play my video games handheld, the only true way to play video games. If I was gonna sit in front of a screen playing video games I'd just emulate them on my computer :colbert:

counterpoint: playing things in bed AND on my tv

realtalk playing games on my laptop just feels weird and i try to avoid it if possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sters_to_switch

Is this guy saying final fantasy 10 is going to be 32 gigabytes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
They really need to put Final Fantasy XI on the Switch

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

whaley posted:

Voice acting in multiple languages, music... still, that's a lot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Circle Nine posted:

Pikuniku is good and chill and well written.

It is. I'm really enjoying this chill trip kicking things occasionally.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

DoctorWhat posted:

Voice acting in multiple languages, music... still, that's a lot.

Knowing square edith it's probably unoptimized as hell

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Calaveron posted:

square edith

The worst aphex twin song

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

whaley posted:

They need that space to add the new eighth character Ridley.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
For anyone who was skeptical about Pokemon Let's Go, did you buy it and end up loving it? I'm aching for new Pokemon game, but the new mechanics seem off-putting.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 27, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

For anyone who was skeptical about Pokemon Let's Go, did you buy and it and end up loving it? I'm aching for new Pokemon game, but the new mechanics seem off-putting.

My wife is a pokemaniac and is pretty much always playing some pokemon game and she said she had a lot of fun and appreciated the changes for being mainly anti-tedious

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

For anyone who was skeptical about Pokemon Let's Go, did you buy it and end up loving it? I'm aching for new Pokemon game, but the new mechanics seem off-putting.

I wasn’t that skeptical but I vastly prefer the new catching method to random encounters and will be disappointed if they go back to those for gen 8.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

I almost skipped it but it turned out pretty good (the changes are an improvement.) It's still a remake of the original game though so it's light on content.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I never played Yellow, so that's a plus. I guess I'm just going into it a bit cynical and was wondering if others were in the same situation and the game turned out to be great. How is it in portable mode?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

I never played Yellow, so that's a plus. I guess I'm just going into it a bit cynical and was wondering if others were in the same situation and the game turned out to be great. How is it in portable mode?

Portable mode has the surperior controller options.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

FPzero posted:

It is. I'm really enjoying this chill trip kicking things occasionally.

A wizard game me arms!!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was skeptical of Pokémon let’s go but got t anyway. I stopped playing after a few hours. It’s laughably easy and the fact that you don’t even have to fight Pokémon anymore to catch them makes it so there’s almost nothing to do at all. Not my cup of tea.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

RCarr posted:

I was skeptical of Pokémon let’s go but got t anyway. I stopped playing after a few hours. It’s laughably easy and the fact that you don’t even have to fight Pokémon anymore to catch them makes it so there’s almost nothing to do at all. Not my cup of tea.

Pretty much every reason why I'm skeptical about getting it. I found Sun/Moon to be super easy and hand-holdy, and the post game content was the only part I really enjoyed. A friend told me there's no post game content in Let's Go, so once you beat it there's nothing to do.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BisterdDave posted:

i wasnt interested in it but my gf brought it for me and tbh i had a lot of fun with it, i liked overworld encounters and the pc box being in the bag and even the catch mechanics clicked for me alright

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a cheaper alternative to the official dock? I want to keep my main one at home and another at work without carrying all the poo poo back and forth whenever we wanna have mariokart Days.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dyk?: the switch has a screen on it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

BisterdDave posted:

Pretty much every reason why I'm skeptical about getting it. I found Sun/Moon to be super easy and hand-holdy, and the post game content was the only part I really enjoyed. A friend told me there's no post game content in Let's Go, so once you beat it there's nothing to do.

I didn't get it for those reasons and they made the online much worse than Sun/Moon.

I wish they would add a difficulty selection in the mainline games. Would be fun to play a tougher Pokemon game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

whaley posted:

The Steam forums say that the install for the PC version of the X + X2 remaster pack is 34gb, while the FF12 remaster is ~30gb (40.68gb on PS4, apparently?)

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RCarr posted:

I stopped using my main 6 during wild encounters and that kept my party only about 1-5 levels above the AI most of the time and that actually kept me on par and the battles somewhat of a challenge. I actually lost to Erika and struggled a bit with several other gym leaders and some of the Ace trainers.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003
There seems to be a lull for 1st party Switch games... why doesn't Nintendo release a Mario Odyssey DLC with more maps?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

quote="BristolSOF" post="492029892"]
There seems to be a lull for 1st party Switch games... why doesn't Nintendo release a Mario Odyssey DLC with more maps?
[/quote]

They hate gamers

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Smash came out like a month and a half ago.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Circle Nine posted:

Smash came out like a month and a half ago.

99% of sold copies of smash will never be booted again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bushisms.txt posted:

Don't think a mini was anything other than what people wanted because of the 3ds, definitely no real rumors as all the rumors are for a more efficient\powerful version. The switch isn't getting smaller, readability is already on a knifes edge.

The general theory is that it'd be a fully-integrated Vita-sized handheld... and that's just flat impossible to do, because the baseline assumption for development is two detachable joycons for controls. Even already there's a few Nintendo games like Super Mario Party that wouldn't be playable on it without paying for an extra JoyCon, and at that point you may as well get a regular-sized Switch anyway.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It'll be a series of Switches modeled after the Play it Loud Game Boy colors with no new upgrades

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Heath posted:

It'll be a series of Switches modeled after the Play it Loud Game Boy colors with no new upgrades

Atomic Purple please.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

My gf bought it recently and is enjoying it more than the last few games. It’s stripped down yeah but everything I’ve seen seems good and fun. It’s definitely Pokémon if you’re in the mood for Pokémon.

e: just FYI neither of us care for difficulty in Pokémon games so the relative easy nature of the game was a big plus

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Is there a cheaper alternative to the official dock? I want to keep my main one at home and another at work without carrying all the poo poo back and forth whenever we wanna have mariokart Days.

Nothing guaranteed safe for your switch

Knockoff docks were frying systems and while several brands claim to have solved this problem, it could theoretically be changed with a system update they won't be aware of (if they have indeed fixed it).

I'd say it depends on how risk averse you are

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

^^^ My thinking is if you can afford a $300 system with $60 games, you can afford a $70 (or whatever) dock.

BisterdDave posted:

I went in as a skeptic and really enjoyed the main game, even though I re-played Fire Red almost right before LG came out. There are some storyline changes that come in about halfway through that give you just enough of a difference. I ended up loving the catching mechanic. And if you don't massively overlevel your main party, the game is an okay enough of a challenge.

The post-game is really, really lacking though.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Laserface posted:

Google the jumpgate, the thing is dope

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Had anyone done a Benson Leung style deep dive on these to confirm they won't brick anything no matter what in the future?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Calaveron posted:

Knowing square edith it's probably unoptimized as hell

Hell it wouldn’t surprise me if it included the hd and vita versions and ran whichever version depending on if it’s docked or in portable mode
But it’d run the opposite version because lmao square enid

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Had anyone done a Benson Leung style deep dive on these to confirm they won't brick anything no matter what in the future?

Don't know, but they do a vlog for every switch update, check their YouTube. Thing hasn't bricked yet.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it wrong that I respect Nintendo for doing this Prime 4 starting from scratch announcement?

You shouldn't be giving corporations respect.

BisterdDave posted:

For some reason, it's the only way to play the game without being forced to use motion controls. So it's more playable than in docked mode.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

Stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dr. Fetus posted:

You shouldn't be giving corporations respect.

Settle down, Beavis Fetus.